Ray Allen Has Never Lost His Love For Boston

Go down

Ray Allen Has Never Lost His Love For Boston Empty Ray Allen Has Never Lost His Love For Boston

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:58 pm

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/03/celtics_notebook_ray_allen_has_never_lost_his_love_for

Celtics Notebook: Ray Allen has never lost his love for Boston

Thursday, March 20, 2014 PrintEmailBe the first to commentPhoto Gallery
By: Mark Murphy

Ray Allen received the ultimate sweet-and-sour parlay when he returned to the Garden as a member of the Miami Heat last season.

On Jan. 27, the prodigal Celtic was feted with what has become the standard Jumbotron tribute. On March 18, the guard was booed every time he touched the ball.

Last night, one day past the one-year anniversary of that uncomfortable night, Allen returned to the Garden for his only appearance of the season. He remains positive, even on the doorstep of more negativity. He was mildly booed last night as he scored 14 points off the bench during the Celtics’ 101-96 win over Allen’s Heat.

“It didn’t change my feelings, because I spent five years here,” Allen said of what he took away from last year’s ugliness. “What I focus on is every great thing that happened for me in this city. I love this city, my family loves this city. It remains my home. We live only an hour from here, so it didn’t change. I know the people who understood me and the situation I was in. That’s what I cared about.”

He was struck by the photographic Celtics and Bruins mural that was put up on the walls of the hallway outside the home and visiting locker rooms. Allen could find his picture. Regardless of what some might think, he’s still remembered in a way more permanent than any snide response.

“I love what they did with the wall,” he said. “I always said you have so much great history and tradition here, it’s great to tell it. I remember so many great things.”

But here’s something he didn’t watch — the video tributes for Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers. He still talks to Rivers. The other two continue to shun him with an Amish intensity.

But Allen’s faith in his Celtics connection is resolute. He’d love to have his number retired, an experience he’s curiously never known on any level, including at UConn or high school.

“It’s not something I worry about,” he said. “The big games we played here are the things that will stick out in my mind, and people will always remember that. There’s a banner up there in the rafters I look at, and that’s what makes it so special.

“Of course (a number retirement) would mean something,” said Allen. “It would be one of the single greatest honors in my career. To have an impact on a generation of kids, the city and the organization is truly an honor, and to be recognized for something like that would be something that can’t get any better.”

Shuttlesworth sequel?

The possibility of a sequel to Spike Lee’s “He Got Game” continues to build steam.

Allen said last night that he has talked with the director about reprising his role as Jesus Shuttlesworth, and is all in for the project. But there’s an unresolved matter.

“Denzel (Washington) has to agree to it,” he said. “And from what I understand, he’s 50-50 on it right now.”

Allen also wouldn’t have the time to film while he’s still in the NBA.

“I definitely wouldn’t be able to do it until after I retired,” he said.

Shooting guards

Avery Bradley buried a career-high six 3-pointers last night. Rajon Rondo continued to work his shot back into shape with a pair of late-game floaters. Both have been diligently tutored by C’s assistant coach Ron Adams.

“Ron’s as good as there is; everyone in the league would attest to that,” said C’s coach Brad Stevens. “When I hired Ron, or when people found out I was hiring Ron, I got a number of text messages and calls that said, ‘Darn it. I wanted to hire him.’ So I think that just speaks to how good he is and I think our whole staff’s good.

“It’s not easy to be whatever we are record-wise, and the staff and the players’ attitudes have been very good and very much on the same page with regard to getting better every day. And I would . . . say that’s unique.” . . .

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down