NESportsfan12
gyso
Brandon$$
dboss
9 posters

Go down

Ray Allen is on the Block Empty Ray Allen is on the Block

Post by dboss Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm

The Celtics have initiated trade proposals on Allen, multiple league sources say, and Boston is searching for a younger, less expensive guard and an expiring contract. This way they can find a replacement for the 34-year-old Allen without losing him and his $20 million expiring contract for nothing in free agency this summer. Only, there isn’t a shooting guard available who’s Allen’s peer. This threatens a perilous choice between transitioning for the future and refusing to compromise a chance to win a title now.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Ray Allen is on the Block Empty Boston Celtics ARE shopping Ray Allen

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:05 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

The Celtics have initiated trade proposals on Allen, multiple league sources say, and Boston is searching for a younger, less expensive guard and an expiring contract. This way they can find a replacement for the 34-year-old Allen without losing him and his $20 million expiring contract for nothing in free agency this summer. Only, there isn’t a shooting guard available who’s Allen’s peer. This threatens a perilous choice between transitioning for the future and refusing to compromise a chance to win a title now. Yahoo! Sports

Allen is privately resigned to the fact that it’s unlikely the Celtics will want to re-sign him this summer. He’s believed to be intrigued with the possibility of joining the Miami Heat or staying close to his Connecticut home and signing with the New York Knicks. Nevertheless, Allen wants to stay a Celtic and that’s never wavered. Yet the sheer economics make it improbable unless he’s willing to cost himself several million dollars next year. Yahoo! Sports

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you guys think? I love Ray Allen as a Boston Celtic but with the team struggling, changes have to be made and he isn't getting any younger. Now, obviously they're trying to find a deal which means they might not get one, and with that in mind i'm still confident that this group can get it done come playoff time with a healthy well-rested roster...
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Ray Allen is on the Block Empty Re: Ray Allen is on the Block

Post by gyso Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Banks$,

Firstly, Welcome.

Secondly, I can merge this thread with the other thread. Let me know. Otherwise, I'll let it be.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome

And yeah just merge the two, no sense having two threads with the same topic
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm

What I would really LIKE to see is a championship this season with our current roster. I think that this IS possible, but that the team needs an attitude adjustment, and a little time to regain their confidence. They do have the time, and hopefully (and I know that this comparison is getting old) this team will remind us all of the '69 Celtics.

After this season I would like every member of the big three to renegotiate their contracts to free up cap space for the fertile free agent market . I would like us to get rid of 'Sheed, and retool a little bit, hopefully picking up some young blood in the FA pool. Unfortunately for me, none of this is likely to happen, because IF the Celtics win the championship in 2010, there is very little chance of these three putting their rightfully earned egos aside. Even if we don't, it is highly unlikely. Personally, I would like to see their minutes cut in the future to the point where they might make up the leagues most daunting bench. I would like to see #34 retire with the Celtics, and I would welcome Ray and KG to do the same. BUT they're going to have to make sacrifices for this to happen. And I don't have any faith at all that they will be willing to do so. I just picture these three coming off the bench and, frankly, I get a little excited, because, well, that would be nasty.

To make a long story short, the thought of RA leaving is a saddening one. I think he is one of the most articulate, well spoken gentlemen of the NBA, and I have the highest respect for his game. I love seeing him in green and white, but if he is not willing to take less money next year, I just don't know if it makes sense. It might be a necessity, and that is just too bad.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:33 am

NESportsfan12 wrote:What I would really LIKE to see is a championship this season with our current roster. I think that this IS possible, but that the team needs an attitude adjustment, and a little time to regain their confidence. They do have the time, and hopefully (and I know that this comparison is getting old) this team will remind us all of the '69 Celtics.

After this season I would like every member of the big three to renegotiate their contracts to free up cap space for the fertile free agent market . I would like us to get rid of 'Sheed, and retool a little bit, hopefully picking up some young blood in the FA pool. Unfortunately for me, none of this is likely to happen, because IF the Celtics win the championship in 2010, there is very little chance of these three putting their rightfully earned egos aside. Even if we don't, it is highly unlikely. Personally, I would like to see their minutes cut in the future to the point where they might make up the leagues most daunting bench. I would like to see #34 retire with the Celtics, and I would welcome Ray and KG to do the same. BUT they're going to have to make sacrifices for this to happen. And I don't have any faith at all that they will be willing to do so. I just picture these three coming off the bench and, frankly, I get a little excited, because, well, that would be nasty.

To make a long story short, the thought of RA leaving is a saddening one. I think he is one of the most articulate, well spoken gentlemen of the NBA, and I have the highest respect for his game. I love seeing him in green and white, but if he is not willing to take less money next year, I just don't know if it makes sense. It might be a necessity, and that is just too bad.

What I would really like to see is a championship this season with ANY roster.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Banks

Welcome to the board!
Trading Allen would be a huge gamble but DA has been know to take chances in the past.

I think the talk about trading Allen would have presented itself even if the Celtics were blowing teams out. It is a matter of economics and the future of the Boston Celtics. If you do not trade him now and are unable or unwilling to sign him at the end of the season than you will lose him with nothing in return except some money that still will not be enough to go after one of the free agent mega stars.

DA wants to win this year and still go after it again next year.

I would say the chances that Ray is traded are 50/50.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:54 pm

IF trading Ray were a possibility, I wonder if Danny would be discussing it with Ray. And I wonder if Ray would have anything to say about his destination. I can't believe Danny would let the rumors proliferate without addressing them with Ray. In which case I'd assume Ray would be allowed some inputs. Danny's had some experience being traded from a contender late in his career, and Danny seems like the type of guy who's not without empathy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Sam

When it comes to making trades DA will talk to any team at anytime. Rememebr Rondo during the summer.

But I would hope that out of respect for Ray he would try to find a destination that Ray would be comfortable with. Nevertheless, this is in the exploratory stages and it is just as likely that DA will not trade him.

This is partly Doc Rivers fault for playing Ray too many minutes. He logged 38 last night. It is also too bad that Doc has not found a way to develop any of his young players over the past 1 1/2 yrs He developed Perk, Jefferson, Gomes, Rondo and baby but no one else has been developed.

Doc always takes the easy way out. If a bench player is in the game and if things are not smooth he will yank them out of the game. That's whay guys like Ray and Paul play so many minutes. Doc burnt those guys out last year and he is about to do it again this year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Dboss,

Coincidentally, I received this letter today. I hadn't known there existed a club consisting entirely of former NBA stars who had once
been age 32. I'm not voicing an opinion here. I'm simply the messenger.

Sam

"I served at 34" Club

Dear Mr. Sam. We're a group of former stars who celebrate the fact that we played NBA basketball at age 34 during eras, or in systems, in which the pace was furious.

We're hoping you can spread the word that we want to protest the inhumane treatment being perpetrated on Messrs. Paul Pierce (playing 35.7 minutes per game @ age 32) and Ray Allen (playing 36.6 minutes per game @ age 34).

Both of these gentlemen operate in the racehorse system currently being used by the Boston Celtics. On most possession exchanges, Pierce is forced to streak from mid-range to mid-range on the court, and Allen must dash all the way from arc to arc (we affectionately call him "Noah"). The number of minutes they're required to endure while negotiating these vast distances at breakneck speed is absolutely atrocious.

We realize that the player the Celtics acquired specifically to reduce the minutes of both men has been unavailable most of the season. But that's no excuse. The Celtics coach should have risked contaminating the veteran mix by playing children in their stead. The Boston fans are very understanding and wouldn't have minded a record around .450 right now. Pierce and Allen should never have been asked to step up and and play a few more minutes per game. We never would have.

We also wish to point out that the genetic, nutritional, conditioning and medical advantages allegedly enjoyed by today's athletes are more than offset by the arduous occasional climb of stairs to their chartered jets. Those so-called advantages are insidious because they render today's players superior only when they're in the air, and they're quite obviously seriously disadvantaged when they're forced to run on a floor.

We've never heard a word of complaint from either Pierce or Allen; and, for this reason, we're nominating both to be knighted. If they haven't yet melted into buttah, we're hoping Sir Paul and Sir Ray will be honored at the Celtics' championship banner raising ceremonies next fall. We know Boston fans would have been just as happy if the Celtics had missed the playoffs as long as the Binky Boys got their chances.

Thanks for your assistance,

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (35.2 minutes at age 34)
John Stockton (35.3 minutes at age 34)
Jerry West (35.7 minutes at age 34)
Karl Malone (37.4 minutes at age 34)
Oscar Robertson (37.5 minutes at age 34)
John Havlicek (38.2 minutes at age 34)
Michael Jordan (38.8 minutes at age 34)
Bill Russell (42.7 minutes at age 34)
Wilt Chamberlain (44.3 minutes at age 34)
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Sam wrote:Dboss,

Coincidentally, I received this letter today. I hadn't known there existed a club consisting entirely of former NBA stars who had once

Sam

"I served at 34" Club

Dear Mr. Sam. We're a group of former stars who celebrate the fact that we played NBA basketball at age 34 during eras, or in systems, in which the pace was furious.

We're hoping you can spread the word that we want to protest the inhumane treatment being perpetrated on Messrs. Paul Pierce (playing 35.7 minutes per game @ age 32) and Ray Allen (playing 36.6 minutes per game @ age 34).

Both of these gentlemen operate in the racehorse system currently being used by the Boston Celtics. On most possession exchanges, Pierce is forced to streak from mid-range to mid-range on the court, and Allen must dash all the way from arc to arc (we affectionately call him "Noah"). The number of minutes they're required to endure while negotiating these vast distances at breakneck speed is absolutely atrocious.

We realize that the player the Celtics acquired specifically to reduce the minutes of both men has been unavailable most of the season. But that's no excuse. The Celtics coach should have risked contaminating the veteran mix by playing children in their stead. The Boston fans are very understanding and wouldn't have minded a record around .450 right now. Pierce and Allen should never have been asked to step up and and play a few more minutes per game. We never would have.

We also wish to point out that the genetic, nutritional, conditioning and medical advantages allegedly enjoyed by today's athletes are more than offset by the arduous occasional climb of stairs to their chartered jets. Those so-called advantages are insidious because they render today's players superior only when they're in the air, and they're quite obviously seriously disadvantaged when they're forced to run on a floor.

We've never heard a word of complaint from either Pierce or Allen; and, for this reason, we're nominating both to be knighted. If they haven't yet melted into buttah, we're hoping Sir Paul and Sir Ray will be honored at the Celtics' championship banner raising ceremonies next fall. We know Boston fans would have been just as happy if the Celtics had missed the playoffs as long as the Binky Boys got their chances.

sam,

Pure wit.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Bob,

You're only half right.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Sam wrote:Dboss,

Sam

"I served at 34" Club

great post Sam,would still like to see a fresher Ray

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

cow

Me too but I would not trade him. Nor would I bring him off the bench. He does a lot of smart smart basketball things other than score.

I will bet yall he breaks out of this funk. He's ray allen!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 pm

jeb65 wrote:cow

Me too but I would not trade him. Nor would I bring him off the bench. He does a lot of smart smart basketball things other than score.

I will bet yall he breaks out of this funk. He's ray allen!

well I'll still be rooting for him,sometimes less is more and with TA's emergence and Quis coming back soon hopefully a little less Ray will be a more lethal Ray

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Cow thats prexactly how i feel. 32 minute a game of rested ray. Quis is gwan help a lot and tony can spot pp...interested to see how team does with Allen starting with pp gone.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:38 am

Rumor du jour, 2/3

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/19891570?source=rss_blogs_NBA
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Sam

I get your point and it is pretty funny.

Too bad that 2 years difrference between 32 and 34 are probably like dog years in the NBA

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Dboss,

Thanks for seeing the intended humor, lame though it might have been. I've just mentioned in another thread that I'm not as worried about the number of Ray's minutes as I am about how his minutes are spread over two distinct roles—starting and bench. In all my years as a Celtics fan, Havlicek's the only Celtic I recall who assumed such dual responsibilities on a regular basis...and that was earlier in his career.

I think that, with Daniels back, Ray and Pierce will both benefit from playing fewer minutes. But I believe Ray will benefit more from being able to focus primarily on his role in the starting unit.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Sam perhaps ypur are right I just don't know at this point. Allen had a very productive game last night

But the Ray Allen trade rumors are not going away until the trading deadline comes and goes. Apparently DA spoke with Ray about the rumors.

The latest one that I read about in a Chicago newspaper has Kirk Hinrich and Tyrus Thomas included.

I would make that trade yesterday because it would give us a BU PG/SG that knows how to play and it would also give the Celtics that much needed athletic forward that can stay with the Rashard Lewis's of the world.

On the other hand if you trade Ray who becomes the designated long range bomber?

This is a very precarious time for the Celtics.

I do think that tjhe Celtics can keep ray allen and win this year provided that TA and Daniels are given significant rotation minutes.

As far as i am concerend playing Ray Allen 38 MPG (last 5 games) is too much and i am convinced that if this continues he will not have the stamina nor lift in his precision jump shot during a grueling playoff run.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Dboss,

That's a very large "other hand." Perhaps you agree with Cowens that the Celtics starting unit would be better off with an energetic penetrator rather than the bomber you mention. I don't happen to agree because I believe the floor balance would be a constant struggle unless Pierce became that bomber. I can't see him restricted to that role.

Perhaps it comes down to the question of which is preferable:

A long-ranger bomber with a great pedigree but some current struggles

or

A back up athletic forward, another short guard, and yet another interruption in team chemistry in this interruption-riddled season

I think Ray's current struggles can be corrected, as I'm more and more convinced his woes are mechanical in nature and certainly are not helped by the dual role he should not have to perpetuate if Daniels returns and Tony continues to flourish.

I actually believe a major key to relaxing any time pressures on both Paul and Ray will involve how soon a revitalized bench can give Doc enough confidence not to have to continue playing either of those two as part of the second unit. (On the other hand, it won't bother me at all if Rondo keeps getting 40 minutes a game.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 pm

I think the Celtics need a deep shooter but if ray was traded it could open the door for House to fill that role but it would impact the starting unit. Hinrich would be a bench player so there would be a disruption in the starting 5. (TA) Not only that there would have to be some major changs in the offensive sets that they run since you would not have Ray coming off double screens for the jumper.

There are plenty of reasons why any change at this point could back fire. But I do not think they can win the champoinship this year with the status quo. This team is not good enough defensively to win and that is the biigest factor that I look at when it comes to Ray. But then again is TA gets meaning ful minutes it could provide a defensive stopper of the bench.

You see I am all over the court with this one.

The only thing that I am sure about is that this team will not win unless they play defense on a championship level like 07

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Dboss,

We all know that this team does not have unlimited time to go through major reconstruction. If Tony replaced Ray as a starter, I believe it would entail more than major changes in the offensive sets (which could present major problems to begin with). I think it would involve a major change to the culture of the club.

Without Ray (assuming he were traded), could the partnership between Paul and KG evolve into a clique? (Could there be an uptempo clique and a deliberate clique and a bam bam Perk uni-clque all within the same unit? lol.) How receptive to "major changes in the offensive sets" would KG and Paul be (especially Paul)?

As I've said elsewhere, I feel the remaining chemistry would be better if Tony replaced Paul than if he replaced Ray in the starting unit. However, I don't want either. In addition to the floor spacing issue, I believe Tony's effectiveness would be more curtailed by his deference and redundancy if he played with Paul and KG rather than with Ray and KG.

There a lot of stuff involved that goes well beyond simple personnel switches. And not a lot of time to sort it all out. But there's no question that something major could happen, and we'd all better be ready to support whatever it is.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down