tjmakz
Sam
Outside
21 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

2014 playoffs Empty 2014 playoffs

Post by Outside Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:37 pm

I know some here don't care what happens in the playoffs if Boston isn't in them (other than wishing for the Heat to lose), but I started this thread for anyone who wants to discuss the various playoff series.

To start it off, I'll mention that Joey Crawford was in fine form last night in the Memphis-OKC game, stopping Kevin Durant from shooting his second free throw with 27 seconds left in overtime.

2014 playoffs Joeywantsthatball

After stopping Durant's free throw, Crawford went to the scorer's table and yelled at some poor sap there because the scoreboard didn't properly show that both teams were in the bonus. After making his big scene, Crawford let Durant attempt his second free throw, which would've tied the game, but he missed. OKC wound up losing by one point when Serge Ibaka's tip-in at the buzzer was waved off.

I'm not one to blame the loss on that one incident because OKC has no one but themselves to blame for being in the position that one free throw could potentially determine the game, but it sure looked like one of Crawford's "look at me" moments that he loves so much. Just to lighten everyone's day a bit, here's one person's humorous take on what the league should do about its most controversial referee.

2014 playoffs I6gazLxqSHGkJ
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

2014 playoffs Empty Re: 2014 playoffs

Post by Sam Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for starting a Playoffs thread, Outside. Always nice to get sub-topics consolidated under one main topic.

In the second scene, is Joey getting into the Chuck Berry Duck Walk when he's eliminated?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm

What a great series this has been.
Four straight overtimes.
Last night Zach Randolph was .1 or .2 seconds late on a game winning basket in regulation, then Serge Ibaka was .1 second too late with the game winning basket in overtime.

That was an odd Joey Crawford moment last night, but Durant needs to sink that free throw to tie it.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Love Joey getting blasted.

Can't believe he hasn't retired. He may very well outlast me!

And Outside you exactly right about not caring at least for me, I'm not sure of who is playing who let alone who is ahead in games, I do know Washington took out Chicago and heard that Tibs is now 1 win for his last 10 in playoff games if that is right. They looked so good a month or so ago.

Nets and is it Toronto and the Toronto coach or someone indicated it was fixed that the league wanted the Nets to advance. I don't know about that but I watched about a 1/4 of the next game out of curiosity and saw if anything the Nets were getting hosed pretty bad by the officials....probably all make up calls.

Out in the racist west, SA doesn't look like the lock they appeared to be when the playoff sun rose what was it 1 or 2 months ago and has 4-5 months left. Is time even moving now. To long a season, to long a playoff season, I actually sort of like the shortened lock out season.

Heck how many times by May first were the C's in the finals and had won already. I remember in 1976 I was driving home from my college graduation on my Birthday (May 23rd) and the C's had won it all the day before (I think)

Don't see any team making a big statement. Seems they all can be had. Indy is still missing a couple lug nuts and are spending too much time in the pits looking for um. So in the east hard to pick against Miami with the best player not on Mt Rushmore leading the way. And as you also point out Outside I wish them losses, at least 4 in any series will suffice.

I guess I don't particularly care for us not being in there, even in the weak east, need to be in next year for a lot of reasons. Here is hoping our draft number is low, Ainge's IQ is high and we at least get the old standby.....best player available. (who just happens to be 7 feet tall and over 250 LBS and can actually play !!)

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:58 pm

My son asked the other day whether I thought Dallas could actually beat whoever represents the East, and I said sure, because that would mean that Dallas had played well enough to win three straight series in the West. And they are actually playing pretty well right now, giving San Antonio all they can handle.

The West is so good, top to bottom. The Golden State-Clipper series is the only one in the West where the higher seed currently holds a series lead, and that might be different if Andrew Bogut wasn't out. One series is tied, and the lower seed has the lead in the two. OKC and Memphis have had four straight overtime games, the first time in NBA history that's happened. Three of four games in the Portland-Houston series have gone to OT. The last two games between San Antonio and Dallas have come down to last second shots. It's been remarkable.

In the East, the Pacer meltdown is almost complete. What in the world happened? There's something going on there that we haven't been told. Hibbert isn't the only problem, but it's astounding that he can't make the Hawks pay for not having anyone to guard him. DeAndre Jordan is an unstoppable force because the Warriors only have David Lee and Jermaine O'Neal; I understand that Hibbert isn't as athletic as Jordan, but Atlanta has no one to stop him, so why can't Hibbert dominate the game and make Atlanta adjust? Why is Indiana the team that is adjusting and playing without Hibbert? It makes no sense to me.

There are some really interesting storylines here. More, please.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:38 pm

outside I think Frank Vogel is in over his head, his lack of coaching experience is really showing, seems his adjustments are too late or obviously not working.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Great time of the year for me. Playoff basketball 6 or 7 hours every night. Fascination of the skill level of the players keeps my interest high. I always manage to find a reason to root for or against a team.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu May 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Can anyone believe that the Wizards eliminated the Bulls in dominating fashion? It looks like Chicago is still stranded at a crossroads. If I were them, I'd be looking for a way to unload Derrick Rose.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Pacers are currently fighting for their playoff lives.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I've watched some Nets-Raptors action to check out Pierce and KG, see how the big trade looks now that it's crunch time. Sure looks like Ainge was right to move on. Although I tuned in to see our old guys, it was the younger guys, DeRosan and Lowry, who left the bigger impression. Pierce still has moments, but the clock is ticking. I can't watch Memphis because I think Ainge was wrong to let TA escape, a mistake that cost us a title, IMO. I've never watched the western playoffs, but before it's over this year, I think I will, just to see who's out there. Anyone got a theory on why there's so much more talent out west? Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu May 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Hawk,

The West has been stacked for a good while, at least the past 10 years or so.

In the East, the MIA Big 3 siphoned power from 2 playoff teams. Then you have another team like Brooklyn with a lot of talent. Dwight Howard went West, which effectively shut Orlando out of contention.

It would seem that the West's talent is just more spread out among more teams. I'm not sure why it settled in this manner.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu May 01, 2014 10:41 pm

In most sports with a long history I believe that its nothing more than random cycles. Wait a few years. The conferences strengths will probable reverse.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 02, 2014 6:12 am

hawksnestbeach wrote:   I've watched some Nets-Raptors action to check out Pierce and KG, see how the big trade looks now that it's crunch time. Sure looks like Ainge was right to move on. Although I tuned in to see our old guys, it was the younger guys, DeRosan and Lowry, who left the bigger impression. Pierce still has moments, but the clock is ticking. I can't watch Memphis because I think Ainge was wrong to let TA escape, a mistake that cost us a title, IMO. I've never watched the western playoffs, but before it's over this year, I think I will, just to see who's out there. Anyone got a theory on why there's so much more talent out west? Hawk

Ainge and Co offered TA a good contract he did NOT escape, he went for more money and a chance to start that he would NOT have gotten here at that time, bash Ainge for some stuff but not this.

PS and to add.. this from Wiki...

.Memphis Grizzlies[edit]
2010–11[edit]
In July 2010, Allen signed a three-year, $9.7 million contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.[12][13] He later reflected on his final seasons in Boston by saying that he felt he was 'overshadowed', in particular, by veterans Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.[12]

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri May 02, 2014 7:19 am

Three game 7's coming up and so is the weekend. The NBA must be so happy, considering other recent events.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 02, 2014 8:36 am

gyso wrote:Three game 7's coming up and so is the weekend.  The NBA must be so happy, considering other recent events.

True.... but the big cities in the East, Philly NY & Boston not even in (nor the Lakers) not being there has to affect the rankings somewhat........that said perhaps we'll see a NEW champion this year or at least one that hasn't won in a while.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 02, 2014 10:27 am

Although I personally have no interest in these playoffs (just my own "homeristic" choice as I enjoy the opportunity to be available for anything my wife wants to do), I think it's great that they're providing so many people with so much excitement and continued enthusiasm for NBA ball during this period of relative inactivity for the Celtics. Gyso beat me to the punch of saying that the high degree of playoff interest has to be a godsend for the NBA in deflecting at least some of the notoriety of the Sterling mess. By the way, I'm sure I must be late in suggesting this, but has anyone suggested that the mess be called the "Sterling Silver" Case?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri May 02, 2014 10:40 am

Beat, As I recall: Tony Allen, who was reaching his prime, was looking for a longer-term contract than Danny was willing to offer - at least in the earlier stage of talks. This article: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=6560546 details some of that, also the effect that losing TA may have had on the Perk trade. Since then, Danny has at least tacitly acknowledged his mistake in his negotiations with Allen, noting that it may have cost us a playoff series with Miami. I don't think of myself as bashing Danny over this, because on balance, I like his moves, and even when I don't, I see what he's trying to accomplish. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 am

hawksnestbeach wrote:Beat, As I recall: Tony Allen, who was reaching his prime, was looking for a longer-term contract than Danny was willing to offer - at least in the earlier stage of talks. This article: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=6560546 details some of that, also the effect that losing TA may have had on the Perk trade. Since then, Danny has at least tacitly acknowledged his mistake in his negotiations with Allen, noting that it may have cost us a playoff series with Miami. I don't think of myself as bashing Danny over this, because on balance, I like his moves, and even when I don't, I see what he's trying to accomplish. Hawk

Looking hindsight is always iffy at best.

Woulda shoulda coulda,

as Red always said it isn't who starts it's how finishes and that said would it have even been plausible for him to start over either RA or PP? Would that have been enough to keep him for less money or fewer years? And would have PP or RA even remotely be acceptable of it. Although he still makes some bonehead plays he is a force when it comes to shutting down the best forwards and shooting guards around.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri May 02, 2014 11:53 am

sam wrote:By the way, I'm sure I must be late in suggesting this, but has anyone suggested that the mess be called the "Sterling Silver" Case?
Sam, are you aware that he changed his name to Sterling? He did that when he was selling furniture while working his way through law school because he wanted his name to have a positive connotation to it. His name has a certain connotation to it now, though it's not what he originally intended.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri May 02, 2014 12:01 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:Beat, As I recall: Tony Allen, who was reaching his prime, was looking for a longer-term contract than Danny was willing to offer - at least in the earlier stage of talks. This article: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=6560546 details some of that, also the effect that losing TA may have had on the Perk trade. Since then, Danny has at least tacitly acknowledged his mistake in his negotiations with Allen, noting that it may have cost us a playoff series with Miami. I don't think of myself as bashing Danny over this, because on balance, I like his moves, and even when I don't, I see what he's trying to accomplish. Hawk

man do I regret losing Tony Allen, I'd take him over Jeff Green in a heartbeat.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri May 02, 2014 1:40 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote: I've watched some Nets-Raptors action to check out Pierce and KG, see how the big trade looks now that it's crunch time. Sure looks like Ainge was right to move on. Although I tuned in to see our old guys, it was the younger guys, DeRosan and Lowry, who left the bigger impression. Pierce still has moments, but the clock is ticking. I can't watch Memphis because I think Ainge was wrong to let TA escape, a mistake that cost us a title, IMO. I've never watched the western playoffs, but before it's over this year, I think I will, just to see who's out there. Anyone got a theory on why there's so much more talent out west? Hawk

Hawk

I agree 100%...Ainge screwed up not retaining TA. We lost him for Chump change. Ainge has thrown around $$$$ to a lot of bums. But ta was a keeper.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 02, 2014 2:07 pm

dboss wrote:
hawksnestbeach wrote:   I've watched some Nets-Raptors action to check out Pierce and KG, see how the big trade looks now that it's crunch time. Sure looks like Ainge was right to move on. Although I tuned in to see our old guys, it was the younger guys, DeRosan and Lowry, who left the bigger impression. Pierce still has moments, but the clock is ticking. I can't watch Memphis because I think Ainge was wrong to let TA escape, a mistake that cost us a title, IMO. I've never watched the western playoffs, but before it's over this year, I think I will, just to see who's out there. Anyone got a theory on why there's so much more talent out west? Hawk

Hawk

I agree 100%...Ainge screwed up not retaining TA.  We lost him for Chump change.  Ainge has thrown around $$$$ to a lot of bums.  But ta was a keeper.

Dboss

dboss,

As I remember it, Tony Allen DID NOT WANT TO STAY.  He felt he would always be 2nd fiddle behind Ray Allen and Pierce (probably true) and he wanted his time in the sun.  Also, Danny didn't want to guarantee his 3rd year.  Why?

Tony was often injured.  In 2008-2009 he only played in 46 games, in 2009-2010 he only played in 54 games.  In the 4 years he has been in Memphis he had 2 seasons of >70 games but also 2 years of 50+ games.  Furthermore, he has never averaged as many as 27mpg since he has been in Memphis. Are those starter minutes?

He is not a work horse.  Yeah, when he's on his game he's a defensive stopper, but he has to be on the court to do that and he was out hurt a lot.  I sense there's some selective memory at work here, exascerbated by the fact that he's on his game now in the playoffs.

Who would you rather have, Tony Allen or Avery Bradley, because one of them would probably be gone for a shooter, like the way Courtney Lee left for Bayless.  Do we really want two defensively-oriented SGs?  We had that with Bradley and Lee and our offense from the back court was weak.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 02, 2014 2:16 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/pierce-kg-watch-bench-nets-comeback-falls-short

Pierce, KG watch from bench as Nets comeback falls short
May 1, 2014, 10:45 am

BOSTON — It was a sight you would never see in Boston: Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce on the bench during a close, down-to-the-wire playoff game.

But Brooklyn ain't Boston, especially when it comes to how the two future Hall of Famers have been used at the end of games.

In Game 5 with Toronto on Wednesday night, easily the most important game of the season for the Nets, Pierce and Garnett spent the fourth quarter doing what you and I did at home - watching the Nets come up short, 115-113.

It was the first time in this series that they didn't play at all in the fourth quarter.

And while the reasons might be just, it only strengthens the belief held by many that the Celtics came out ahead - way ahead - in the blockbuster deal they agreed to with the Nets this past summer.

Just a recap of the franchise-changing deal:

The Nets traded three first-round picks, along with a mix of talent just to make the numbers work, to the Celtics for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

The Celtics made the deal for the draft picks and the $10 million trade exception it generated.

The Nets made the trade to put them over the top and provide some late-game, seal-the-deal veterans with a championship pedigree.

But you wouldn't know that by the roles the future Hall of Famers played in the game's most critical moments.

"It is what it is," Garnett told reporters after the loss gave the Raptors a 3-2 series edge. "That group in there was going. They had the momentum."

Brooklyn was getting run out Air Canada Centre until its second unit went on a blistering run to wipe out a 22-point deficit - all coming about with Garnett and Pierce on the bench.

But Pierce and KG weren't brought in to lead comebacks.

They're in Brooklyn to be closers.

And Wednesday, in that moment when the Nets needed someone to cement one of the franchise's greatest playoff rallies, two of their best options were on the bench.

But that's part of the problem.

Pierce and Garnett, for all the battles they have fought and won over the years, are no longer seen as closers in this league.

In this series, Garnett's high in minutes played in the fourth quarter is 6:25 and that came way back in Game 1.

Pierce isn't much better having logged a high of 6:37 in the fourth quarter of Brooklyn's Game 4 loss.

Rookie coach Jason Kidd gave a legit explanation for leaving both on the bench in Game 5.

"The guys on the floor were fighting," Kidd told reporters. "They got us back in the game. I asked were they tired and those guys weren't tired, so they wanted to continue to keep playing. When you have guys playing the way they did and fighting, you've got to leave those guys out there."

But Kidd knows as well as anyone that riding the hot hand or hands, doesn't always hold up under the intense heat of late-game pressure.

No disrespect to Alan Anderson who had a huge 4-point play in the fourth, but you can't help but wonder how differently the final couple of minutes would have played out if Paul Pierce was on the floor instead.

Like Garnett and Kidd, Pierce said all the right things after the loss as well.

"I was on the sidelines cheering on my teammates," Pierce told reporters. "They did a really good job getting us back in the game and giving ourselves a chance. That was the unit that was out there. They deserved to be out there to give us a shot at winning it. While we are on the sideline, we have full confidence in them."

It all sounds good, but it reminds us all why the Celtics were so willing to swing the deal in the first place.

As much as Garnett and Pierce will be forever loved in these parts, their days of greatness are fewer and farther between now.

The Celtics knew this when they made the trade, and the Nets did so as well.

But Brooklyn was OK with it because Pierce and Garnett were not being counted on to carry heavy loads, just the important ones come playoff time.

At least, that's what we were led to believe.

A. Sherrod Blakely serves as Comcast SportsNet's NBA Insider. Read more from Sherrod here, or follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

bob
MY NOTE: I didn't watch the game, but Kidd not putting in his closers sounds like a rookie mistake.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri May 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Kidd keeping Blatche in the game at the very end was a rookie mistake. I understand Blatche played well as part of the comeback, but he proved yet again that he's the absolute wrong guy to have in at the end.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 02, 2014 2:45 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:

Hawk

I agree 100%...Ainge screwed up not retaining TA.  We lost him for Chump change.  Ainge has thrown around $$$$ to a lot of bums.  But ta was a keeper.

Dboss

dboss,

As I remember it, Tony Allen DID NOT WANT TO STAY.  He felt he would always be 2nd fiddle behind Ray Allen and Pierce (probably true) and he wanted his time in the sun.  Also, Danny didn't want to guarantee his 3rd year.  Why?

Tony was often injured.  In 2008-2009 he only played in 46 games, in 2009-2010 he only played in 54 games.  In the 4 years he has been in Memphis he had 2 seasons of >70 games but also 2 years of 50+ games.  Furthermore, he has never averaged as many as 27mpg since he has been in Memphis.  Are those starter minutes?

He is not a work horse.  Yeah, when he's on his game he's a defensive stopper, but he has to be on the court to do that and he was out hurt a lot.  I sense there's some selective memory at work here, exascerbated by the fact that he's on his game now in the playoffs.

Who would you rather have, Tony Allen or Avery Bradley, because one of them would probably be gone for a shooter, like the way Courtney Lee left for Bayless.  Do we really want two defensively-oriented SGs?  We had that with Bradley and Lee and our offense from the back court was weak.

bob

Bashing Ainge on this is flat out wrong as you say Bob, he wanted to go, he wanted a chance at starting anf that wasn't going to be here. Ainge made a reasonable offer and TA walked away for a bit more. And don't I recall many upon many times he was bashed on various threads for the lack of using that muscle between his ears?

This one is not on DA IMHO

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next