Sam
k_j_88
beat
worcester
bobheckler
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bradley:  Celtics Could 'Make A Lot Of Noise' Empty Bradley: Celtics Could 'Make A Lot Of Noise'

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:43 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714499/bradley-celts-could-make-a-lot-of-noise

Bradley: Celts could 'make a lot of noise'
August, 21, 2014
AUG 21 12:05 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

DARTMOUTH, Mass. -- A smile creeps across the face of Boston Celtics guard Avery Bradley when asked about the potential for both him and Rajon Rondo to be healthy for the start of the 2014-15 season.

"I can’t even [put it into words], you guys just have to see," said Bradley. "A lot of people might say that, 'We can’t be this, we can’t be that.' I feel like with the coach that we have, we can be anything that we want to be. We just have to listen to [Brad Stevens] and buy into what he’s trying to do, his plan for us. I feel like we have a chance to make the playoffs and make a lot of noise this year if we listen to Brad."

Bradley, back in the area to run his latest youth basketball clinic, gushed about the potential for the upcoming season, even as pundits predict another rebuilding season for the Celtics. While this is the time of year that every player dreams big, Bradley was emphatic that returning Celtics players believe they are capable of advancements.

Bradley said he crossed paths with Rondo in Vegas recently and said the Celtics' captain is "fired up" about the season. "Jeff Green as well," added Bradley. "We're all excited about this season." Bradley also offered high praise after working out in Vegas with Evan Turner, who will eventually be added to Boston's roster for next season.

And while he hasn't yet met rookie guard Marcus Smart, he's heard the buzz about his potential -- particularly on the defensive side of the ball -- and is eager to get on the court with him.

"Everyone keeps telling me that Marcus is a great defender and ... I’m excited about that," said Bradley. "Because Rondo is a great defender as well. Last year, he still played great defense, but this year I feel like he’s going to take it to an even different level. I feel like we have a chance to be a top-10 defensive team in the NBA this year."

That will be music to the ears of Stevens, who challenged his team to be a top-10 defense last season (and the Celtics flirted with that for much of the first half before eroding late and trudging to a 25-57 record).

Bradley said he'll likely return to Boston in another week to ramp up for training camp and often reiterated that, "It's time to get started."

For his part, it never really ended. Bradley said he took a week off after the season, but was right back in the gym. He left the country for a vacation last week, but worked out each day. Bradley joked with team trainers that he's in the best shape of any player on the Celtics and is 100 percent healthy despite injuries that have nagged him during his career.

"I still work out three times per day. I’m in amazing shape right now," said Bradley. "I joke around with the trainers -- me and the trainers, we worked out in Vegas together at the player meeting to pick our new leader -- I told them I’m in the greatest shape on the team right now. So we were joking about that. I feel good right now, my body feels good and I feel stronger."

Bradley spent the morning working out and interacting with campers at the BBA Facility, an outdoor venue in Dartmouth. What's his favorite part of these camps?

"Just seeing the smile on the kids’ faces and knowing that they are learning a lot at this camp," said Bradley. "The guys that are running this camp, they do a great job, and the kids are having fun -- that's the main thing for us."

Does Bradley ever get a common question from campers?

"All the kids like to ask me who the better coach is Brad or Doc [Rivers]," Bradley said. "And I kinda just laugh, because that’s a question that I can’t really answer."

bob
MY NOTE:  More kudos for Brad Stevens, this from a current player but also from a former player in Kris Humphries.  Rondo, also, has gushed about him. Brad has done nothing less but a remarkable job of selling his players on his vision and approach.  Not an easy task for a coach who had zero prior NBA experience in any role. Even Ol' Mister Grumpy Pants, Gerald Wallace, bought into it after he checked his starter's ego at the locker room door.  Nothing but good for us...AB might be a bit myopic, though, when he talks about their ability to be a top 10 defensive team.  The backcourt?  ABSOLUTELY!  I'm practically salivating at the prospect of watching those four guys blow up opposing back courts.  It is going to be epic, I truly believe that.  The team as a whole?  I don't see it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bradley:  Celtics Could 'Make A Lot Of Noise' Empty Re: Bradley: Celtics Could 'Make A Lot Of Noise'

Post by worcester Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:01 pm

Don't see it?

Maybe if they let Faverini drive onto the court in a car.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Bradley:  Celtics Could 'Make A Lot Of Noise' Empty Re: Bradley: Celtics Could 'Make A Lot Of Noise'

Post by beat Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 pm

worcester wrote:Don't see it?

Maybe if they let Faverini drive onto the court in a car.

Needs to be sure who he is running into.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Beat,

Questioning his "drive," are we?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Love the enthusiasm.  Not too shabby after the downer of a season last year.  What I like most is that guys like Bradley and Rondo aren't saying the right things because they're fighting for jobs.  They really expect to get better as a team.  I've written often about the difference between wanting something and expecting it.  They can be worlds apart.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:00 am

Sam were pretty deep at every position, there will be times we'll be exploited down low, but we should be able to run teams to death with our talented personnel and depth. Our backcourt is speedy, can't wait to see them create havoc and run, we have runners and athletes at the 1-2-3, Green, Wallace, Turner and Young can all run. Sully should have a breakout year, throwing his weight around, he can move 4's easy. If Zeller can just hold his own and neutralize, not let opposing 5's run wild, give us 12-13 and 8 boards a game....with this dynamic backcourt, Rondo and AB blowing up and Smart attacking and manically adding his D, we can give teams trouble. This is a playoff team in the East.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 am

wow....some seem to have high expectations for this season.

I hope your right, but I see 30-35 wins as our ceiling right now.

so what do those that think we are a playoff team see our ceiling at for this coming season?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:29 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sam were pretty deep at every position, there will be times we'll be exploited down low, but we should be able to run teams to death with our talented personnel and depth. Our backcourt is speedy, can't wait to see them create havoc and run, we have runners and athletes at the 1-2-3,  Green, Wallace, Turner and Young can all run. Sully should have a breakout year, throwing his weight around, he can move 4's easy. If Zeller can just hold his own and neutralize, not let opposing 5's run wild, give us 12-13 and 8 boards a game....with this dynamic backcourt, Rondo and AB blowing up and Smart attacking and manically adding his D, we can give teams trouble. This is a playoff team in the East.

Cow

A big if. We have a very tough first 20 games, very tough might even go 5-15 and if we do playoffs are a stretch. Even considering the weak east. That said if we can survive the first 20 games and be at 10-10, I like our chances to grab a 7th or 8th spot.

Bring on the camp

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 am

Well, as I've said several times, I'll be very happy if the Celtics (1) can jell and achieve better chemistry than they did last season, (2) can determine which player combinations are most effective, (3) can work within Brad's vision, in which I have confidence without knowing completely what it is, (4) can develop an identity moving forward, (5) compete very hard every night, (6) identify weak areas even within the context of an improving team, (7) do something about those weak areas (although it could potentially take another year to accomplish that), (Cool are able to mature in their best positions without having to default constantly to other positions, (9) are placed in positions to succeed by getting habituated to helping one another, and (10) play sufficiently exciting basketball to keep their fan base solidly behind them.

If they can accomplish all or most of these 10 things, I'll be happy whether or not playoffs are in the picture.  But, as the season unfolds, I'm very unlikely to use their playoff potential as my litmus test as to how they're doing.  If a minor (major?) miracle happens, I reserve the right to change that stance.

I'd prefer a running team and not a three-point team, and I hope their defense will become the engine that propels them (including offensively).  However, I've learned throughout my life to take whatever the Celtics braintrust feels gives them the greatest chance to compete.  And I'm fine with that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am

kdp59 wrote:wow....some seem to have high expectations for this season.

I hope your right, but I see 30-35 wins as our ceiling right now.

so what do those that think we are a playoff team see our ceiling at for this coming season?

kdp,

For what it's worth, I agree. I think going from 25 wins to 35 wins without signing/trading for a major star is about as much organic growth one can expect in one year. Having said that, Atlanta got the #8 slot last year with 38 wins and we lost a lot of squeakers last year due to inexperience and poor execution. Forget about the unbalanced roster, we just made rookie mistakes and didn't execute and that cost us quite a few games. If we can just get past those, plus the improvement and better balance of our roster, that 3 win difference could be within striking distance.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Here's my take for the Celtics record this season.
I definitely leaned toward the pro-Celtics side and gave them some games that they probably won't win.

November: 3-11
December: 8-7
January: 4-12
February: 6-5
March: 7-11
April: 4-4

Total: 32-50
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:34 pm

another thing is I don't see the east having ANY playoff teams this year with a losing record.

so I don't think 35 wins will be a "playoff" team in the so-called lowly east this coming year.

we also need another HIGH lottery pick next year. We need to get real young talent and picking high is one of the easiest ways to do that.

another top 10 draft pick along with perhaps a high level Free agent signing next year, then we could in position to move into the playoffs AND be a position to grow from there.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:44 pm

I don't make predictions.  But my hope is for the Celtics to have the following record in terms of effort:

Nov. 14-0
Dec. 15-0
Jan. 16-0
Feb. 11-0
Mar. 18-0
Apr. 8-0

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:58 pm

KDP,

I think the East will be improved, but I still see a team with a losing record making the playoffs, mainly because the West is so strong and most East teams will have to overcome a losing record in 30 games against the West. Last season, only four of 15 East teams had a winning record vs. the West.

If anything, the West will be tougher. Only Utah, the Lakers, and Sacramento are lousy. Minnesota and Denver will be a level up from that, and 10 good teams will be competing for eight playoff spots.

I count New Orleans in that group, who was snakebit last year with injuries (two starters, Jrue Holiday and Ryan Anderson missing tons of games and lots of other miscellaneous injuries). Anthony Davis is turning into a beast, plus they have Anderson, Holiday, Eric Gordon, Omer Asik, and Tyreke Evans. They don't have depth, but if they can avoid the calamitous injuries, they'll be good. Even as beat up as they were last season, they were 19-11 vs. the East.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:26 pm

sam wrote:I don't make predictions.  But my hope is for the Celtics to have the following record in terms of effort:

Nov. 14-0
Dec. 15-0
Jan. 16-0
Feb. 11-0
Mar. 18-0
Apr. 8-0

Sam
Wasn't that supposed to be the Lakers record when they acquired Dwight and Nash?
:-)
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:08 pm

As many games as the C's lost last season where there was a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter, turn half of those into wins and the Celtics would be a 6-7th seed.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm

TJ,

Search me.  I don't really know what expectations of the Lakers' effort was when Howard and Nash went aboard.  For that matter, You'd have a far better idea than I would of what their record in terms of effort turned out to be.  I think Brad Stevens is pretty good at encouraging effort, and I like the positive attitude I'm hearing from the Celtics players.  Add in a little "homerism" and you have the reason for my statement of hope.  We'll see to what extent it can become reality.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 pm

k_j_88 wrote:As many games as the C's lost last season where there was a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter, turn half of those into wins and the Celtics would be a 6-7th seed.

KJ
KJ,

Only 5 teams in the East had a .500 record in games decided by 10 points or less.
Boston was 9-23. Even if you gave them a .500 record, that would be 16-16.
That would give them 32 wins last year.
That's still well below being a playoff contender.
I don't know if Rondo, Bradley, Green and mostly young guys are going to all of a sudden play significantly better down the stretch of games.
Most young teams don't have good records in games decided by 10 points or less.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 pm

sam wrote:TJ,

Search me.  I don't really know what expectations of the Lakers' effort was when Howard and Nash went aboard.  For that matter, You'd have a far better idea than I would of what their record in terms of effort turned out to be.  I think Brad Stevens is pretty good at encouraging effort, and I like the positive attitude I'm hearing from the Celtics players.  Add in a little "homerism" and you have the reason for my statement of hope.  We'll see to what extent it can become reality.

Sam
Sam,

The expectations were very high for the Lakers after acquiring Dwight and Nash, some even wondered if they would challenge the Bulls 72-10 record.
MWP even tongue in cheek said the Lakers would win 73 games.
Nash had played extremely well with Phoenix the year before.
Once Nash went down with his leg injury in game two and Dwight was slow to recover from back surgery and shoulder problems, the Lakers season went down hill at a rapid pace.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:09 pm

tjmakz wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:As many games as the C's lost last season where there was a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter, turn half of those into wins and the Celtics would be a 6-7th seed.

KJ
KJ,

Only 5 teams in the East had a .500 record in games decided by 10 points or less.
I don't know if Rondo, Bradley, Green and mostly young guys are going to all of a sudden play significantly better down the stretch of games.

TJ,
I think you misread KJ. He, as well as Bobh, were alluding to quite a few games where Celtics lost by a few points and many of those games' losses could be attributed to inexperience of players and coach to keep the lead to the final buzzer.
Unfortunately, I don't have the list but it seems there were enough of those to squeeze into playoffs. Doubt thou about 6-7th seed.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 pm

sinus007 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

KJ
KJ,

TJ,
I think you misread KJ. He, as well as Bobh, were alluding to quite a few games where Celtics lost by a few points and many of those games' losses could be attributed to inexperience of players and coach to keep the lead to the final buzzer.
Unfortunately, I don't have the list but it seems there were enough of those to squeeze into playoffs. Doubt thou about 6-7th seed.

AK

Sinus,

I am sure Boston didn't lost an extra 13 or 14 games in which they gave up the lead in the 4th quarter.
Unless we see statistics on this, it is speculation.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:19 pm

TJ,

How many Celtics games did you watch last year?

From my observations, the Celtics were in a lot of those games and even had the upper hand for stretches but couldn't hold it together.

Also, I am referring to more than just the 10 points or less losses. The C's were on the receiving end of some blowouts after having fairly nice leads. Your statistics don't even begin to explain the entire story.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 pm

k_j_88 wrote:TJ,

How many Celtics games did you watch last year?

From my observations, the Celtics were in a lot of those games and even had the upper hand for stretches but couldn't hold it together.

Also, I am referring to more than just the 10 points or less losses. The C's were on the receiving end of some blowouts after having fairly nice leads. Your statistics don't even begin to explain the entire story.

KJ

KJ,

I probably watched the majority of 50 or more Celtics games last season.
I'm a single guy, so I have time to watch the NBA.
I haven't seen any other stats to counter my viewpoint.
If someone could find a stat about Boston's record when they had the lead in the 4th quarter, I would be interested in finding out what that was.
I am not one that thinks that a young Celtics will gain 13 games or more from last years team.
If everything goes right for the Celtics and they overachieve, can they sneak into the playoffs? Sure they can.
But you can say that for every team in the East, except for probably Orlando and Philadelphia.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:35 pm

I remember there were so many close games and they would lose in the last 2 minutes or 30 seconds or so, then Steve and I would call and be glad that they lost.....as we know the draft is a crapshoot, but overall I'm glad with our 2 picks.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:09 am

An inability to make the necessary plays when the game is on the line is the main characteristic of a weak team.

Even a weak team is in many games and seem to come tantalizingly close to winning but in crunch time you pretty much know that their chances are really slim.

Of course, the season being so long, the superior team often plays just hard enough to win. How many times have you seen strong Celtic teams play a mediocre game against a weak opponent but get it together when the time comes?

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next