The Ax falls on Bogans.....

+4
gyso
bobheckler
k_j_88
beat
8 posters

Go down

The Ax falls on Bogans..... Empty The Ax falls on Bogans.....

Post by beat Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Traded for Erik Murphy, Troys brother

and 2 stiffs..............

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

The Ax falls on Bogans..... Empty Re: The Ax falls on Bogans.....

Post by k_j_88 Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Ingenious trade.

I never thought Bogans was worth the 12 inches of pine he sat on.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 pm

And I guess they got 2 second round picks too............crips DA can give them away as Christmas presents.
Is it possible to have every pick in the second round?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:49 pm

http://fansided.com/2014/09/25/cleveland-cavaliers-trade-keith-bogans/

Marc Stein        ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Follow
Sources say Cavs are expected to package their three non-guaranteed deals (Erik Murphy, John Lucas and Malcolm Thomas) in trade for KBogans
4:46 PM - 25 Sep 2014

Eric Murphy, 6'10", 230# PF/C, 23 years old, averaged 2.3mpg last year in his rookie year.

John Lucas, 5'11", 165# PG, almost 32 years old, averaged 14.1mpg last year for Utah.  2.6 assists/36mpg.

Malcolm Thomas, 6'9", 225# PF, 25 years old, averaged 7mpg last year for Utah.

All of these players will be waived immediately.

PLUS 2nd round picks in 2016 and 2017.

Oh Danny boy.  You turned a lemon that was due to expire on the first day of the season, since Bogans was going to be cut before the season regardless, into two 2nd round glasses of lemonade.

I guess Cleveland feels they still owe us for helping them get LeBron.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Plus Dwight Powell.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cleveland-cavaliers-complete-five-player-003913800.html

Cavs send Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, John Lucas III, Dwight Powell and 2nd round picks in '16 and '17 to Celtics in exchange for Bogans.

As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure Bogans can play, as he barely saw the court in Boston last year. He has a good reputation, and will be yet another hard working veteran in a radically new locker room that had little veteran leadership last season.

My comment:

Correction, HAD a good reputation.  He was told his services were no longer required by the Celtic brass because he had issues with collecting splinters.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi,
Nice deal: Bogans who would be going to be cut anyway, was traded for 2 2nd round picks; now those 3 stiffs will be cut before Tuesday and Celtics will have 20 player going into the camp and 15 players into the season. Unless, of course, something else is cooking in DA kitchen.
BTW, a team can have max 2 1st round picks, if I'm not mistaken. What about 2nd round? Any limits?
If there were no limits DA and Phili would corner the market - unfortunately they don't realize that no matter what and who Cavs will get #1 pick. queen

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:01 pm

read that Babb and Johnson were cut also.

Powell MAY have a guaranteed contract.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 pm

According to the press release, the full deal of today's trade is Keith Bogans and two future conditional Sacramento second round picks to the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for forwards Dwight Powell, Erik Murphy and Malcolm Thomas, guard John Lucas III, 2016 and 2017 second round picks from Cleveland and a trade exception. Powell was the 45th player taken in the 2014 draft and will compete for a roster spot.

My own comments: Looks like the Celtics also gave up two conditional second-rounders from Sacramento.  Powell is 6' 10" and 240 pounds, so he'll automatically make the Celtics team as a power forward because the Celts are desperate for power forwards.

Two years might be a little soon.  But a Cavs second-rounder in 2017 could be a great one for the Celts if Lebron has taken his talents to wherever he thinks he can win another title.  I heard that he and Phil Jackson are forming a very elite club (two members) called "You Build, We Capitalize."

Sam

Last edited by sam on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:29 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Nice deal: Bogans who would be going to be cut anyway, was traded for 2 2nd round picks; now those 3 stiffs will be cut before Tuesday and Celtics will have 20 player going into the camp and 15 players into the season. Unless, of course, something else is cooking in DA kitchen.
BTW, a team can have max 2 1st round picks, if I'm not mistaken. What about 2nd round? Any limits?
If there were no limits DA and Phili would corner the market - unfortunately they don't realize that no matter what and who Cavs will get #1 pick. queen

AK

sinus,

Phoenix had 3 first rounders this year, fattened up by the Gortat trade: 14,18 and 27.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:07 am

Apparently, Turner has also been signed.....finally.

Sam

Former No. 2 pick Evan Turner has signed with the Boston Celtics after falling on hard times in Indiana last season, reports Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
Terms of the deal have yet to be announced, but it will certainly be a pay cut on the money he earned from his large rookie-scale contract last season.

Turner has been an NBA disappointment since being selected one pick behind John Wall in the 2010 draft. He never emerged as a star in Philadelphia, though he was at least a decent contributor and did average 17 points and six rebounds per game in Brett Brown's high-paced system this year.

But he badly struggled after being dealt to the Pacers in the middle of the season. His minutes dipped from 35 to 21 a game and so did his production, as he only averaged seven points per contest while shooting 41 percent from the field and playing poor defense. His ball-dominant style meshed horribly with Lance Stephenson, and their poor chemistry played at least a small part in Indiana's demise. The Pacers didn't even tender him a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Turner joins a young Celtics backcourt (Sam's comment: I think he'll play more SF) that includes established point guard Rajon Rondo, first-round draft pick Marcus Smart and the newly re-signed Avery Bradley.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:34 am

So, Boston received (2) 2nd round picks and received a trade exception for taking on Powell's salary. That is if all of the other players are waived. Nothing spectacular, but they are assets that were received for Bogans who will probably never play another game in the NBA.

Sinus, there is no limit to how many draft picks a team can have in a draft.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 am

Powell will make a great third PF on this team.

Just need to move Bass and Joel for a center now....lets see..........who makes around $10-11M in salary and might be n the dog house as a center............?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 am

kdp,

If you're thinking of Sanders, he has apparently moved from the persona non grata list to a potential building block.  Per Hoops Hype:

After a disappointing 2013-14 season plagued by injuries and off-court issues, rumors were spreading that defensive big man Larry Sanders was  no longer part of the Milwaukee Bucks future and could be moved to another team sometime in the season. Fortunately for Sanders, the Bucks  are still standing by him this offseason and believe that he is part of their future plans according to assistant General Manager David Morway.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:35 am

a fan can hope!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:49 am

Cavaliers acquire G Keith Bogans
Updated: September 26, 2014, 1:16 AM ET
By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Cavaliers have swung a trade on the eve of LeBron James' official return to the team.

With media day Friday and the first day of training camp Saturday, Cleveland on Thursday night completed a deal with the Boston Celtics to acquire veteran guard Keith Bogans.

The Cavaliers got Celtics swingman Keith Bogans in a trade for Dwight Powell, John Lucas, Erik Murphy and Malcolm Thomas.
The Cavaliers, as ESPN.com reported earlier Thursday, surrendered the non-guaranteed contracts of John Lucas, Erik Murphy and Malcolm Thomas -- as well as a player Boston intends to keep in forward Dwight Powell -- to acquire Bogans and his trade-friendly contract, which holds great appeal to Cleveland.

The combination of ‎Bogans' contract being non-guaranteed both this season at $5.3 million and next season at $5.5 million -- along with Brendan Haywood's fully unguaranteed $10.5 million salary in 2015-16 -- potentially gives the Cavs a combined $16-plus million in unguaranteed salary to dangle in trades for the 2015-16 campaign.

That's a significant amount of cap relief to offer trade partners for Cleveland, which also acquired second-round picks from Boston via Sacramento in 2015 and '17 that are top-55 protected.

Boston, meanwhile, gets a player it likes in Powell as well as second-round picks from Cleveland in 2016 and '17. Sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman the Celtics also will create a trade exception worth $5.3 million as part of the transaction, which can be achieved by absorbing the various Cleveland players into existing trade exceptions.

The Celtics also waived Chris Johnson and Chris Babb on Thursday but still have 21 players on their books, requiring them to release at least two more players to make sufficient roster room to complete the long-anticipated signing of free-agent swingman Evan Turner before they open training camp Monday.

The Celtics' roster shuffle continues after trading Keith Bogans to Cleveland. After waiving Chris Babb and Chris Johnson, they still need to trim down to create a spot for Evan Turner, writes Chris Forsberg. Story

The Celtics, sources said, are next expected to waive Lucas and Thomas but do plan to bring Murphy to camp after the former Florida power forward played for Finland in the recent FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain.

Lucas, Murphy and Thomas were all acquired by Cleveland from the Utah Jazz on July 22, with the Cavs intent on re-trading them at the first opportunity.

Bogans, 34, appeared in just six games for Boston last season but played in 74 for Brooklyn in 2012-13.

The 11-year veteran, known as a good team defender, a capable 3-point shooter and a strong locker-room presence throughout his career, has also played for Orlando (twice), Charlotte, Houston, Milwaukee, San Antonio and Chicago.

Powell is a 6-foot-11, 240-pound rookie drafted No. 45 overall by Charlotte in the second round in June.

bob
MY NOTE:  The Celtics plan to keep Powell?  That DEFINITELY means another shoe is about to drop.

So Boston GAVE UP the picks.  Hmmm.  Is a 2nd round pick, Powell, worth two 2nd round picks?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Powell-5750/

Listed at 6'11", 234#, 23 years old, 7'0 1/2" wingspan (not that impressive).  No step vertical is 28.5" and max vertical is 35".  By comparision, 6'11" Larry Sander's no step vertical was 25.5" and a max vertical of 28".  More on the page about him.  Called "very athletic".  Obviously, this is a kid Danny and Brad eyeballed at the NBA draft combine.  As a Stanford grad, I'd put money he has IQ.  I have a friend, whom I occasionally mention, who is a Laker fan.  He played football, getting drafted by the Buffalo Bills after 4 years playing offensive guard for Boise State.  He was invited in "for a cup of coffee", as he put it, by Stanford.  They passed on him because of his grades in high school (he now has a masters degree).  My point is that scholastic ability is a key consideration when being considered by Stanford and athletes are no exception (for what it's worth, Stanford is about 5-8 miles away from where I live, down the peninsula a few towns in Palo Alto).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Bobh,
Celtics acquired picks: ".... Boston, meanwhile, gets a player it likes in Powell as well as second-round picks from Cleveland in 2016 and '17 ...."

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Boston gave up two top 55 protected picks from Sacramento. They would never had received them.
Boston received two 2nd round picks from Cleveland. I have not heard of any restrictions on those picks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Boston also received a $5.3M Traded Player Exception.

Man, Danny sure loves those. Can't say I blame him, we got Zeller and Thornton for faciltating a deal with a TPE.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:54 pm

bobheckler wrote:Boston also received a $5.3M Traded Player Exception.

Man, Danny sure loves those.  Can't say I blame him, we got Zeller and Thornton for faciltating a deal with a TPE.

bob

bob,

Zeller was a good pick up, but I am not so sure I would have wanted to pay Thornton $8.575m this year.
I might have let most of that TPE expire...
But, I am pretty sure Cleveland wouldn't have given up Zeller without a team eating Thornton's salary.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:19 pm

TJ,

The good thing is his contract is an expiring one. If they do showcase him, he could be moved by the trade deadline.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:30 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Boston also received a $5.3M Traded Player Exception.

Man, Danny sure loves those.  Can't say I blame him, we got Zeller and Thornton for faciltating a deal with a TPE.

bob

bob,

Zeller was a good pick up, but I am not so sure I would have wanted to pay Thornton $8.575m this year.
I might have let most of that TPE expire...
But, I am pretty sure Cleveland wouldn't have given up Zeller without a team eating Thornton's salary.

TJ,

We got a very serviceable center with a few years left on his rookie contract.  In exchange for that we had to take a shooter that will help our weak perimeter shooting offense for one year, or fraction thereof.

Short-term financial pain, none of which comes out of my pocket, for short and longterm team gain.  I'm ok with that.

Besides, I doubt Danny had his eye an expensive free agent this summer (Love was not a free agent so the $ would have ended up close to even anyway).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Other aspects of this trade:

1.  Celtics get a $5.3M Trade Exception.  That's like having the advantage of Bogans' expiring contract for another year without having to pay him for it or deal with his 'tude.

2.  We sent Cleveland two 2nd round picks from Sacramento that were "Top 55 protected".  That means that, unless the Sacramento Kings are one of the 5 worst teams in the league, those two picks will never be used and, even if they are, they'll be one of the five last draftees, the scraping bottom of the draft.

3.  We got two 2nd round picks from Cleveland, with no restrictions on them.  They won't be great picks, Cleveland will do well, but at least they are real picks and not like the Sacto ones.  One could use these picks for Euro draft-and-stashes.

In summation, Danny turned Bogans' salary (we had to pay him last year) into a "Bogans salary equivalent", a TPE, which doesn't require you to actually pay the player but you can trade it as if it was a player, and upgraded two 2nd round picks from paper assets that were effectively worthless into two usable 2nd round picks that, because they are 2nd rounders, have no contract commitments associated with them.  

Is this the deal Danny and Wyc were hoping they could get with the Bogans expiring contract?  I doubt it, but by rolling Bogans forward another year this deal bought Danny another year to try and get that deal, without having to have Bogans on the payroll to do it and Cleveland paid him two 2nd round picks to boot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down