NYCelt
bobheckler
Matty
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

celtics pistons deal Empty celtics pistons deal

Post by Matty Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:42 am

Seems like a trade and waive/cut deal is about to happen... so long to the guy from miami... Very Happy

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235233/Celtics-Pistons-Finalizing-Joel-Anthony-For-Will-Bynum-Trade
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

celtics pistons deal Empty Re: celtics pistons deal

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:46 am

Joel Anthony for Will Bynum

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4715137/source-cs-trade-anthony-to-pistons

Celtics, Pistons in trade talks
Updated: October 17, 2014, 10:48 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

The Boston Celtics are working to finalize a trade that will send center Joel Anthony to the Detroit Pistons for guard Will Bynum, according to a league source.

The Celtics appear to be making the move with roster flexibility in mind. They have 16 fully guaranteed contracts on their books and must trim that to 15 before the start of the regular season. Swapping Anthony, who is set to make $3.8 million this season, for Bynum, who will earn $2.9 million, will save the team $900,000.

It's not clear if Bynum will stick with the Celtics. It could hinge on whether the team makes any additional moves before the season tips later this month.

Anthony, 32, had played sparingly, including this preseason, since being acquired from the Miami Heat in January.

If the Celtics ultimately elect to waive Bynum, the $900,000 savings from the trade would give them additional flexibility with the goal of staying under the tax line this season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Bynum was here once before as recall. Don't think he stuck around long enough to play more than a pre-season game or two. Probably shouldn't spend a lot of time looking for an apartment...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 pm

No room at the inn for Bynum. With Anthony gone, I guess the rumors of the Celtics waiving Vitor are moot. He is here with a contract that is guaranteed for this year. Powell will be Maine bound. Depending on how Vitor recovers, time will tell if later in the season they find a taker for Favarani, if he recovers from knee problems.

Just moving the pieces around a little, unless there is a big trade out there just waiting to be made.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:23 pm

1.  Kelly
2.  Sully
3.  Green
4.  Bradley
5.  Rondo
6.  Turner
7.  Thornton
8.  Smart
9.  Pressey
10. Crash
11. Bass
12. Vitor
13. Young
14. Powell
15. Zeller

Assuming Bynum is waived (non-guaranteed contract) and the other non-Powell invitees (Frazier, Murphy etc) are gone, there is no need to send Young to Maine.  It might be in his best interest to go there, to get some reps in, but no contractual need.  Besides, he has an NBA contract so, just like with Fab Melo, even if he plays in Maine his contract still counts towards the salary cap and the roster limit.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 pm

bobheckler wrote:1.  Kelly
2.  Sully
3.  Green
4.  Bradley
5.  Rondo
6.  Turner
7.  Thornton
8.  Smart
9.  Pressey
10. Crash
11. Bass
12. Vitor
13. Young
14. Powell
15. Zeller

Assuming Bynum is waived (non-guaranteed contract) and the other non-Powell invitees (Frazier, Murphy etc) are gone, there is no need to send Young to Maine.  It might be in his best interest to go there, to get some reps in, but no contractual need.  Besides, he has an NBA contract so, just like with Fab Melo, even if he plays in Maine his contract still counts towards the salary cap and the roster limit.

bob

bob,

Bynum does have a fully guaranteed contract.
Young will probably spend most of the season in the D-League instead of sitting on Boston's bench all season.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:43 pm

tjmakz wrote:
2.  Sully
3.  Green
4.  Bradley
5.  Rondo
6.  Turner
7.  Thornton
8.  Smart
9.  Pressey
10. Crash
11. Bass
12. Vitor
13. Young
14. Powell
15. Zeller

bob

bob,

Young will probably spend most of the season in the D-League instead of sitting on Boston's bench all season.

Hmmm, so then we still have one too many guaranteed contracts. As I said I don't think assigning a player to a D-league team relieves that team of their contract or roster limits. So regardless of where Young plays, he still counts.

There's either a buy out or another trade coming.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
2.  Sully
3.  Green
4.  Bradley
5.  Rondo
6.  Turner
7.  Thornton
8.  Smart
9.  Pressey
10. Crash
11. Bass
12. Vitor
13. Young
14. Powell
15. Zeller

bob

bob,

Hmmm, so then we still have one too many guaranteed contracts.  As I said I don't think assigning a player to a D-league team relieves that team of their contract or roster limits.  So regardless of where Young plays, he still counts.

There's either a buy out or another trade coming.

bob

bob,

I am assuming that Boston was going to waive Anthony and Detroit was going to waive Bynum, so they traded players.
Supposedly, Anthony is not going to be waived by Detroit.
It looks like Detroit is willing to pay an extra $900,000 for Anthony since they plan on keeping him, compared to just waiving Bynum.
This is just my theory and there could be another piece to this trade that we don't know about yet.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach about 43 minutes ago
Celtics confirm Bynum for Anthony deal is done.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Will Bynum is a decent player, but Boston's guard rotation is stacked, so I'm not sure what the endgame for this is.

If he does stick around, he could be helpful at the point guard spot until Rondo gets back. Realistically, he's a better backup point guard than Smart, Bradley, Turner, or anyone else, so it may be that they plan to keep him and move one of their other guards. Options abound.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:57 pm

must be another move in the works here folks.

might get pretty interesting the next few days

I wonder if Simmons was right?

I'd want Hardaway back though myself.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm amazed that Sherrod Blakely hasn't written a column saying the Bynum acquisition confirms that Rondo will be traded.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:57 pm

worcester wrote:I'm amazed that Sherrod Blakely hasn't written a column saying the Bynum acquisition confirms that Rondo will be traded.

worcester,

Soon come, mon, soon come.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:26 pm

It didn't come from our friend A. Sherrod, but I saw a report last night, I think it was on Fox Sports, where they were of the opinion that Ainge is stocking up on guards because…wait for it...quite obviously, Rondo is about to be traded.

In other news The Fed will soon discontinue the Quantitative Easing program in a certain sign that the Celtics will trade Rondo.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:51 pm

The Weather Channel just reported the sun WILL come up tomorrow...another sign that Rondo will be traded - possibly to Phoenix.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:59 pm

worcester wrote:The Weather Channel just reported the sun WILL come up tomorrow...another sign that Rondo will be traded - possibly to Phoenix.

Ohhh…Nice touch on that one!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Bynum's not a bad player.  Averaged 9 points and 4 assists in 19 minutes last season.  Frequently played well against the Celtics.  He would give the Celtics two legitimate point guards in the absence of Rondo plus the surprise of the fall so far, Turner, probably starting at PG.  Bynum vs. Powell?  Hard to say. Powell's been active in preseason games but has had virtually no impact.  Bynum could give Brad more flexibility to play Turner more minutes  at the "3" and more energy to expend on continual fast breaks.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:16 am

The trade is now official.  Looks like Bynum will be waived.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/10/that_didnt_last_long_celtics_likely_to_waive_will_bynum.html

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:48 am

I thought someone said he had a guaranteed contract?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:13 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I thought someone said he had a guaranteed contract?

cow,

"Bought out" might be a better way to put it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:26 am

DA has perfected the ability to shrink payroll

Bynum is a good player and could land somewhere else.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Bynum might not be the worst guy to keep on the roster as, as a point guard, he makes 80% of his free throws.

I realize that making free throws is not the only thing to keep a guy on a team, but a team who cannot make free throws late in a game doesn't usually win many close games either.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 pm

wide clyde wrote:Bynum might not be the worst guy to keep on the roster as, as a point guard, he makes 80% of his free throws.

I realize that making free throws is not the only thing to keep a guy on a team, but a team who cannot make free throws late in a game doesn't usually win many close games either.

Hi Wide Clyde! Welcome to the board.

Boy, that doesn't say much for your opinion of Rondo, does it? Pressey's not looking that good either. :-)

If he wasn't 2 months short of his 32nd birthday, and we're pressed on roster size, I'd agree with you.

Pressey might have gotten lucky by having his contract be picked up earlier this off-season. If he was unguaranteed today...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey, Wide Clyde.  Welcome to the board.  The prototype for your board name was always one of my favorite Auerbachian late-career pickups.  He could bang, and he could shoot.  He was great from the perimeter.  He was the perfect backup for Russell during Clyde's Boston years, and he proved how great he was by taking the Lakers to a championship in 1954, after George Mikan's retirement, and making four all-star teams between 1956 and 1961.

We hope you'll enjoy the forum and will post early and often.  We promise conviviality and pride ourselves on the quality of our conversations.  And we have a good time.

As for Will Bynum, I always thought he was underrated as a Piston, and I believe he could help a team.  If he's waived by Danny, it will be strictly a business move because I think Will could be more valuable than Phil Pressey as a long-term backup to Rondo (IF Rondo is long-term himself in Boston).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Sam and Bob,

Thanks so much for the welcome. I have been reading the board for a while now.

I remember Clyde as a kid and he fit nicely onto to 'Hall of Fame' bound Celtics team when in Boston. I always appreciated (and still do) those athletes who "fit in" without being the stars of a team to help the team achieve success. Clyde was one such guy.

Neither Pressey nor Rondo are guys you want at the free throw line late in a game from my perspective. In a close game, a guy who shoots 80% on free throws has a lot to do with winning close games in the fourth quarter than a guy who is a 60% guy especially if they play the same position. The 60% guys get fouled as soon as they even think of touching the ball while the 80% guy gets a lot more room/time to maneuver, and both help the offense.

As the Celtics get better this year I would hate to see a Boston version of "Hack a Shaq" that might sound something like "Push a Pressey" or "Rough a Rondo" to get our 60% guys to the line.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next