Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POST GAME MEMPHIS - AWAY Empty POST GAME MEMPHIS - AWAY

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 pm

NEXT GAME SUNDAY - HOME - 6:00PM - PORTLAND

Grizzlies 117, C's 100: No answer for Gasol

ESPNBoston.com

By Chris Forsberg

The Boston Celtics entered Friday's game against the Memphis Grizzlies proud of the way they'd competed in just about every game early in the 2014-15 season.

Alas, the Western Conference-leading Grizzlies joined the Houston Rockets in an elite club of teams that never really let Boston get close. Memphis never trailed in Friday's game, never let Boston get closer than two possessions in the second half, and owned a lead of as much as 21 in the fourth quarter en route to a 117-100 triumph at FedEx Forum.

Marc Gasol scored a game-high 32 points on 13-of-22 shooting, shredding Boston's shoddy interior defense. Jon Leuer, too sick to play on Wednesday night, felt good enough to add in 19 points on 9-of-13 shooting off the bench.

The Grizzlies improved to 11-2 and have now won 21 straight at home. Boston falls to 4-7.

• KO tries to prevent KO punch: Second-year center Kelly Olynyk, who has endured his struggles in recent games, scored 14 of his team-high 18 points in the third quarter. Olynyk tried to help Boston stick close in the third quarter, but the Celtics still trailed by 12 heading to the final frame.

• Rondo Report: Maybe Rondo's worst outing overall: Defensively inept, Rondo played only 28 minutes and finished with 4 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists. He was a team-worst minus-19 in plus/minus.

• Loose balls: The Grizzlies shot 52.7 percent overall from the floor, while Boston finished at 43.2 percent. ... The Grizzlies won the battle of points in the paint, 66-38. ... and the battle on the glass, 50-38. ... The Celtics put six players in double figures, including Evan Turner and Marcus Thornton off the bench. ... Boston played 12 bodies with rookies Dwight Powell and James Young on the court for the final 2:28. Gerald Wallace was the only healthy DNP.

• What it means: The Celtics did little to make one of the West's top squads sweat. Boston simply had no answer for Gasol around the basket. Boston gets a day off Saturday before hosting the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday evening at TD Garden.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5 THINGS WE LEARNED FROM CELTICS’ LOSS TO GRIZZLIES

By WEEI

Rajon Rondo had one of the worst games of his career on Friday. (Getty Images)

Celtics coach Brad Stevens recently suggested that he is responsible for improving his team’s defense. But on Friday, there was little evidence of progress by either Stevens or his team.

A sometimes-lethargic Celtics team was manhandled in Memphis by the Grizzlies. The C’s, who entered the contest having permitted the third most points per game in the NBA (107.5,  behind only the 3-7 Timberwolves and 3-9 Lakers) once again permitted an opponent to score at an alarming rate. The Celtics lost, 117-100, with Memphis shooting 52.7 percent for the night. The defenseless Celtics fell to 4-7 on the season, with the kind of defensive night that screams lottery.

Four other takeaways:

RAJON RONDO HAD ONE OF THE WORST GAMES OF HIS CAREER

Rondo’s far-reaching skills were nowhere to be found. In 28 minutes, he scored four points with five boards and four assists, just the 15th time in his career and the second since 2008-09 that he’s had no more than five of any of those categories in a game where he played at least 24 minutes. The four assists matched his fewest in a game since he had a three-assist night on Nov. 28, 2012.

THE CELTICS CAN BE OVERWHELMED INSIDE

Marc Gasol scored 32 with eight boards, while Zach Randolph had 16 points and 16 rebounds in just 27 minutes. A Celtics team that had been effective on the glass instead was pushed around, getting outrebounded by the Grizzlies, 50-38.

AVERY BRADLEY IS NOT A BALL DISTRIBUTOR

The Celtics, of course, are an offense built around point-guard distribution, particularly when Rondo is on the court, but at times when Rondo wasn’t in the game, the team looked to others to generate movement and passing. When Avery Bradley was charged with that task, however, the results were poor, as Bradley endured his third game without an assist this season. He is averaging 1.1 assists per game. Entering the night, he was one of just six guards in the NBA to play at least 10 games this year while averaging less than 1.5 assists per game.

KELLY OLYNYK CAN MAKE IT RAIN

The 7-footer went 3-for-5 from behind the arc and scored 18, stretching the floor in a way that allowed the Celtics offense to be successful while he was on the floor. Olynyk had a +2 plus/minus; the rest of the Celtics starters were no better than -14. Olynyk is averaging 12.9 points per night while shooting 56.7 percent from the floor, including 46.7 percent from distance. His 3-point field goal percentage could put him in historic company. Just one 7-footer has ever shot 45 percent or better from long range — Zydrunas Ilgauskus, who made 47.8 percent of his shots behind the arc in 2009-10.

Last edited by 112288 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MEMPHIS - AWAY Empty Re: POST GAME MEMPHIS - AWAY

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 pm

STATS DON'T LIE!

- Celtics - 38 pts in the paint
- Celtics - 3 pter - 9-27 - 33%
- Celtics - rb - 38
- Memphis - 66 pts in the paint
- Memphis - 3 pters - 8-16 - 50%
- Memphis - rb - 50

Kelly O 18 pts was as soft as quicksand and he was MIA on defense especially on the pick and roll.

Rondo was a quiet MIA the whole game.....4 pts....5 rb......4 a.....- 19.

Hey Brad.....when your down 19 pts with 7 min. to go why not give some quality time to your young bench players and test them out under real fire to see if they are learning anything and executing properly.  Why wait until there was 2 min. to go!   I just don't get it!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Bradley can't pass, KO cannot play any defense at all, Stevens is not that bright, how do you still start KO and not give Sully and Z extended playing time together? Our personnel is bad, but his combinations are worse. At this point I'd start Turner at the 2 and Zeller at the 5, Turner has handle and vision, two things we need from that spot that AB can't give us. KO cannot cover 4's or 5's and he can cover for no one and the defense is soo weakened covering up for him.....pure swiss cheese whenever hes on the floor. If your an opposing coach, how can you not attack him? its too easy a match up.

Were heading for the lottery!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:01 am

I kind of feel like the staff has been getting a pass for too long. Brad is still weak when it comes to lineup combinations and timely substitutions.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 am

boy, I ( think) different from most people here I guess.

THIS loss (and the next THREE coming) don't bother me at all.

we're playing some of the ELITE teams in the NBA and WE are NOT an elite team (or CLOSE, frankly).

I get upset when we are close to a win and lose the game, not these games where we are blown out by SURPERIOR talent and coaching.

yes, Kelly O can't match up to Gasol or Zach.....neither did Sully, Zeller or bass BTW...or MOST NBA players.

Just like when we play LeBron, we don't have anyone who can guard him, when he's ready to take over the game.

I watched into the 4th quarter before moving on and thought the game was just as I expected it to be.

so my question is ....are their Celtics fans that think this team CAN hang with the elite teams?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:43 am

Games like last night are going to happen this year when a lottery team from last year (Boston) plays one of the league's stronger teams. Many weaknesses are going to get exposed in all of these games, and losses will pile up. The good thing is that there are probably on 20 total such games on the schedule.

This is why it is so important for this year's Celtics team to win the (probably four games this year already) games that are close in the fourth quarter. There are probably 60 or so such games on the schedule.

It is these "closer" in talent type games that will determine the team's growth this year. Right now, they do not have the talent to beat the better teams like Memphis on a regular basis, but that doesn't mean that there are not many more wins available this season.

Rondo had a bad game last night which is OK, but I think that he is still the key player on the roster in the much more winnable games. He is the captain, the point guard, the highest paid, the most decorated and the best player on this team. If he can do a better job becoming the go-to guy the team will be better this year and also in the future for what they learn this year.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 am

What bothers me is Memphis is not a real big scoring team, yet the Celtics gave their front court players easy access to the rim all night.......70+ points. 

Hey I know that KO is a second year guy and the first couple of games he really played well defensively..................but since then he has regressed. 

You say he can really shoot the ball & score................Ya he can shoot from mid range and out but the guy has no low post moves....NONE......and so you move a guy way from the rim to score and you won the battle as his odds of scoring decrease the further you move away from the rim.

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:18 am

Your thoughts on Olynik are well taken, and why I think that he would fit in much better with the second unit. He would not necessarily play fewer minutes, but he would add some scoring punch and passing to the second unit and also have to play against less talented big men on defense.

In another line up thought, I am not sure that Bradley might not also help the team on the second unit as well as he would add some shooting and some defense to that group while Turner would add some much better passing and the ability to get his own shot to the first unit. Bradley's defense is not enough to keep him on the first unit, in my opinion.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 am

Turner is a legit 6'6" we could use his size and abilities, its not like AB is winning his match ups, putting him defensively on the point also exposes Rondo on the bigger 2, so either way its not a good match up. Turner can get shots for others and has ability to score in traffic and drive to the basket much stronger than AB.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:48 am

112288 wrote:What bothers me is Memphis is not a real big scoring team, yet the Celtics gave their front court players easy access to the rim all night.......70+ points. 

Hey I know that KO is a second year guy and the first couple of games he really played well defensively..................but since then he has regressed. 

You say he can really shoot the ball & score................Ya he can shoot from mid range and out but the guy has no low post moves....NONE......and so you move a guy way from the rim to score and you won the battle as his odds of scoring decrease the further you move away from the rim.

oh really, when did he play good defensively? you mean he wasn't attacked as much, saw Terence Jones look like an all star vs KO, then they just went away from him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:49 am

Good points by kdp and clyde.

Also Cow and clyde on Turner/Bradley.

The three really save me thought and typing here!

Agree with their combined outlook.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:52 am

well at least the Cavs are having as many problems as us.....no defense, guys are going right at Love defensively. Lebron not making anybody better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:well at least the Cavs are having as many problems as us.....no defense, guys are going right at Love defensively. Lebron not making anybody better.

Truly when has he?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:05 pm

I agree with NYCelt, there are a lot of good observations here.

I agree with kdp and clyde that they're bound to struggle against an elite team playing really well like Memphis. People looked at the schedule months ago and saw that November was going to be a tough ride. They've had the third-toughest schedule in the Eastern Conference with three more tough games (Portland, Chicago, San Antonio) on deck. December's schedule is much easier, and their record after that will be a far better indication of where they stand in their development.

I also agree with 112288, Cow, and KJ that the tough schedule has exposed weaknesses in Stevens' playing combinations and in specific players. As I've mentioned before, I'm not sold on the ultimate effectiveness of the Sullinger-Olynyk combination, especially defensively. The Celtics are ranked 7th offensively in points per possession but 26th defensively.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that the Celtics can compete for a playoff spot, but something has to happen on the defensive end.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Wide,

You may have raised a great idea by placing Bradley and KO on the second unit so their talent matches or exceeds second unit players on the opposing teams.

Smart is an animal and better then Bradley due to his size 6'4" and extra length arms.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Outside,

Looking over the free agent centers available in the summer.........would you go after Monroe of Detroit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:32 pm

When you're down by 19 with 7 minutes to to, the rest of the game isn't called "quality time."  It's called "garbage time."

A few minutes here or there during garbage time does not magically give young players a great immersion into NBA competition.  It exposes them to playground basketball with very little emphasis on defense.  And defense is incredibly important when games are actually up for grabs.  Garbage time has virtually no resemblance to true NBA competition.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Sam,

Memphis's starters were still in the game.  Only when there was a foul at the 2 minute mark did Gasol come out of the game. 

Stevens could have experimented with Powell and Young collectively or independently during the game to see if he could get a winning combo out of his players.....'cause nothing was working..........even in Philly.......we were lucky to have beaten a D League level team.....yet Young and Powell sat!

I bet dollars to doughnuts they get time on Sunday!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Garbage dime doesn't refer only to having crummy players on the floor.  It also includes the competitive quality of play regardless of who is on the floor.

Experimentation with young guys who, unlike Marcus Smart, don't automatically show they're major leaguers-in-waiting best takes place in practice or in the D League.  Throwing them into a game for a few minutes risks damaging some of the valuable coalescing time of the regular rotation players.  Throwing them in at garbage time, when there is relatively little actual competition, can encourage bad playground habits.

A coach can accomplish only so many different things at once.  Most of those things are predicated on enhancing the flow and rhythm of the team in one way or another.  Experimentation is best left to practice and the D-League.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:17 pm

112288 wrote:Outside,

Looking over the free agent centers available in the summer.........would you go after Monroe of Detroit?
No. He's good offensively, but he isn't a rim protector or even a decent defender. Why go after an expensive free agent who is a liability defensively?

To me, the center position should be defense first. It's possible to have a great defense without one, but it's rare.

Last season, these were the top 10 defenses as measured by points allowed per 100 possessions:

San Antonio
Golden State
Houston
Memphis
Washington
Toronto
Portland
Indiana
Milwaukee
Chicago

Every one of those except Toronto had a rim protector. I don't think it's coincidental that nine of the ten were in the playoffs.

The rim protector doesn't have to be the center -- KG fit that role as a power forward -- but with Sullinger and Olynyk as the power forwards, it has to come from the center position.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Sam,

At this juncture in time, no one except Rondo and perhaps Sully, Bass and Bradley have a lock on starting or second unit playing time.  If you are not cutting it after an extended period of quality time .....you sit and you try a new player to see what he has and what he can deliver.

This is not a Doc Rivers situation team....where he did not trust rookies and so rookies sat because he was going for a title...............this is a no title team let alone a playoff team.  If you can remember Bradley only got a shot because of so many injuries.

If the East was not so lousy ...........we would be already be positioned 13th or 13th place. We are trying to determine who has the skills to stick with this team long term and play in Stevens system, or who is going to be shipped in a trade.

The only reason I can see for Steven's strategy of who plays and who does not is to weed out current personnel who may be packaged and shipped via a trade at  the trading deadline.

What bothers me was what Stevens said about the rooks that came in.........he was impressed by the snap in the passing, ball movement and player movement , which was noted in another post.  REALLY BRAD!...........So let's see if you give the likes of Powell and Young a shot on Sunday!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Outside,

After looking at what is available free agent wise next year.........slim pickings in that department.

This could be a long haul unless Danny used Rondo to get a rim protector via a trade.

Thoughts?

Pos    Age    Exp    Type    Old Team    New Team    Contract   
Aldrich, Cole    C    25    4yrs    UFA    NYK    NYK    ---    Young big man Aldrich re-signs with Knicks
Andersen, Chris    C    35    12yrs    UFA*    MIA    MIA    ---    Andersen re-signs with Heat
Armstrong, Hilton    C    29    6yrs    UFA    GSW    ---    ---    ---
Barron, Earl    C    33    7yrs    UFA    ---    PHX    ---    ---
Bhullar, Sim    C    21    0yrs    ---    ---    SAC    ---    Bhullar becomes first player of Indian descent in NBA
Bynum, Andrew    C    26    8yrs    UFA    IND    ---    ---    Report: Bynum to miss 2014-15 season
Collins, Jason    C    35    13yrs    UFA    BKN    ---    ---    ---
Davis, Glen    C    28    7yrs    UFA*    LAC    LAC    ---    Davis back to the Clips
Dorsey, Joey    C    30    3yrs    UFA    INL    HOU    ---    Rockets add Dorsey
Frye, Channing    C    30    8yrs    UFA*    PHX    ORL    4    Frye signs new deal with Magic
Gasol, Pau    C    33    13yrs    UFA    LAL    CHI    3    Bulls officially sign Gasol
Gortat, Marcin    C    30    7yrs    UFA    WAS    WAS    5    Gortat re-signs with Wizards for $60M
Gray, Aaron    C    29    7yrs    UFA    SAC    DET    ---    Veteran big man Gray joins Pistons
Hawes, Spencer    C    26    7yrs    UFA    CLE    LAC    4    Hawes, Clippers agree to deal
Hollins, Ryan    C    29    8yrs    UFA    LAC    SAC    ---    Kings pick up Hollins
James, Bernard    C    29    2yrs    UFA    DAL    DAL    ---    Mavs re-sign James
Kaman, Chris    C    32    11yrs    UFA    LAL    POR    2    Kaman inks deal with Blazers
Mohammed, Nazr    C    36    16yrs    UFA    CHI    CHI    ---    Bulls re-sign Nazr Mohammed
Monroe, Greg    C    23    4yrs    RFA    DET    DET    1    Monroe signs qualifying offer
Mullens, Byron    C    25    5yrs    UFA*    PHI    ---    ---    ---
Oden, Greg    C    26    3yrs    UFA    MIA    ---    ---    Oden arrested on battery charges
Okafor, Emeka    C    31    10yrs    UFA    PHX    ---    ---    ---
Randolph, Zach    C    32    13yrs    UFA*    MEM    MEM    ---    Z-Bo signs multiyear extension
Seraphin, Kevin    C    24    4yrs    RFA    WAS    ---    ---    ---
Player    Pos    Age    Exp    Type    Old Team    New Team    Contract    More
Smith, Jason    C    28    6yrs    UFA    NOP    NYK    ---    Knicks sign veteran Smith
Stoudemire, Amar'e    C    31    12yrs    UFA***    NYK    NYK    ---    Stoudemire staying with Knicks
Udoh, Ekpe    C    26    4yrs    UFA    MIL    LAC    1    Clippers take flyer on Udoh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Sure, Brad could start panicking after a handful of games and throw new players into what is already a struggling mix instead of spending time and effort in trying to get your best players to gel.  And you might last in the coaching job for another week.  Sorry, but that is specifically not what one does.

Yup, the two rookies made a good play against inferior competition in garbage time.  I'm happy for them.  Brad also mentioned that the final play (the one after the play you're citing) was awful.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:20 pm

That's an older list, not that it makes much difference. Here's a newer list.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nba/2015/center/

Not a lot there to inspire free agent hopes, which is why I think the Celtics have to take a center in the next draft. The guys who would be the best fit for Boston -- Asik, Lopez, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan -- are all likely to re-sign with their current team. The rest of them are either backups, too old, or otherwise not the answer.

Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:55 pm

[quote="112288"]Sam,

At this juncture in time, no one except Rondo and perhaps Sully, Bass and Bradley have a lock on starting or second unit playing time.  If you are not cutting it after an extended period of quality time .....you sit and you try a new player to see what he has and what he can deliver.

This is not a Doc Rivers situation team....where he did not trust rookies and so rookies sat because he was going for a title...............this is a no title team let alone a playoff team.  If you can remember Bradley only got a shot because of so many injuries.

If the East was not so lousy ...........we would be already be positioned 13th or 13th place. We are trying to determine who has the skills to stick with this team long term and play in Stevens system, or who is going to be shipped in a trade.

The only reason I can see for Steven's strategy of who plays and who does not is to weed out current personnel who may be packaged and shipped via a trade at  the trading deadline.

What bothers me was what Stevens said about the rooks that came in.........he was impressed by the snap in the passing, ball movement and player movement , which was noted in another post.  REALLY BRAD!...........So let's see if you give the likes of Powell and Young a shot on Sunday!

I partially disagree.  I think Green has a lock unless you would prefer to go with the unpredictable Turner, or the veteran Wallace or the Rookie Young.  Can we agree that green is a lock?

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next