Roy Hibbert anyone (again)?

4 posters

Go down

Roy Hibbert anyone (again)? Empty Roy Hibbert anyone (again)?

Post by kdp59 Fri May 29, 2015 7:26 am

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/05/28/roy-hibbert-would-be-perfect-fit-for-boston-celtics/

while I wouldn't say a perfect fit (or anything near it), for a soon to be 28YO big man who is one of the better inside presence's in the league.

If Bird would take our #28 pick OR the Cleveland pick next year for him straight up......If I were Danny I guess I could help out my old friend.

I don't think we'd have to match any salarys, but Danny would have to get under the cap before the deal ( renounce our FA's and all holds).

it could end up being a one year rental (at about $15M) if Hibbert and Stevens don't mesh, but for either one of those picks it would be worth the risk for me.

Hibbert
Zeller
Sully
Olynyk
Portis- #16 pick
Crowder
Wallace
Turner
Bradley
Smart
Thomas
Young
Pressey
Norm Powell- #33 pick

Might not be a bad roster there, the more I look at it.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Roy Hibbert anyone (again)? Empty Re: Roy Hibbert anyone (again)?

Post by Sam Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 am

kdp,

You have Crowder on your hypothetical roster, and yet you talk about renouncing all free agents.  Did you intend to exclude Jae?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 29, 2015 11:05 am

Crowder is a RFA and his matching tender is only around $1.3M or so.

I meant renounce our UFAs. Bass, Jerebo and Datome (though we could pass on renouncing Datome as his cap hold is something like $2.5M).

maybe I should explain better:

Restricted free agents (Crowder) we have to make a tender offer of 125% of is last salary. Crowder made around 950K last year I think.

Unrestricted free agents will have what the NBA calls "cap holds" on the players last teams roster of 150% of their last years salary. for Bass for instance his salary was 6.9M last year, so his "cap hold" will be around 10.3M.

that cap hold stay on Bostons cap until Bass signs a new contract (here or somewhere else) OR Boston renounces his rights (which means we cannot sign him for the coming year.

Maybe Gyso can correct anything I have wrong here, but I think I have the numbers right.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Danny also has over $10M worth of TPE.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri May 29, 2015 1:22 pm

While it may only be a one year commitment if the Cs get Hibbert, is he really what the Celtics need as far as the 'pace and space' offense that Stevens ran last year? And, even more importanly, is this guy still a hungry ball player?

He has had some good seasons in Indianapolis, but also some terrible times there as well. Bird has gone on record as saying that this guy will not play much for them next year if he happens to still be on their team.

I think that Hibbert has a player option for next year that he will have to take because he will not get 15 M from anyone else. Is there a way for him to sign (to be traded) a two year deal for maybe 9 M per year?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Wide,

I don't see any reason why Hibbert would not take the option he has for that money.

or why he would sign a deal in $9M range now.

it would seem to be in his interest to play out this year and see how he does. IF he plays at the same level as the past few yers he would likely get more than $9M next year with the new TV money raising everyones value.

he will turn 29YO early next season also, not 28 that i wrote.

he wouldn't be my first option, but if all the other bigs men fell through, for a late first I would think about it.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 pm

kdp,

The only reason I mentioned Hibbert possibly taking a two year, 18 M deal would be if he wanted to get a new start somewhere else. He is still young enough to make contributions somewhere, and is certainly looking at a very distinct possibility of rotting away on Indianapolis' bench next season. Sitting for an entire season in Indy certainly does not sound like fun to me, and could ruin his future as well.

He would also not be my first choice as the next Celtics center, especially at 15 M for next season, either, but I could look at him in somewhat of a different light if he was on a two year, 18 M contract. On such a contract, he would not kill the salary cap numbers for next year (allowing us to add an additional good player) and also would be much more tradeable in the following year.

Walking away from 15 M may be more difficult for him than I could ever imagine, but he should already have enough money to live on for the rest of his life. Perhaps getting started again somewhere else would appeal to him more than just plain, old, dollars?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down