dboss
Outside
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread Empty The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:15 pm

MY NOTE:  This is going to be an ongoing thing all season for us, so I just decided to create its own, appropriately-named, thread for it.  A little schadenfreude, anyone?

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/11/11/brooklyn-nets-tanksharing-only-hope-rebuild-needed

The only hope for the Brooklyn Nets may be 'tanksharing'

The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread Brooklyn_nets_billy_king_no_hope_tanksharing
The only hope for the Brooklyn Nets may be 'tanksharing'
Photo: AP

BY JOSEPH FLYNN

Posted: Thu Nov. 12, 2015

If the poet Dante were to imagine NBA hell in verse, he’d probably save the deepest circle for the Brooklyn Nets. Not only has general manager Billy King assembled one of the worst rosters in the league, but also he has left the organization without its own first-round pick until 2019. With King already making trade inquiries in just the third week of the season, the time was right to invite him to Aspen, Colo., for my special GM seminar.

Hey there, Billy. Good to see you! Have you lost weight? How are the wife and kids? Are you ready for a fun weekend in the majestic Rocky Mountains?

Annnnnyway, before you head on out, I was hoping you could stay for my five-minute presentation. You don’t have to, of course, but I did fly you all the way out to Aspen. No pressure, buddy! Why don’t you just sit down, try one of these delicious homemade scones, and get ready for a plan that is gonna change your life.

Tanking. It’s the wave of the future, my friend. Imagine a world where you consistently fail, only to get patted on the back by your boss and coworkers. Sounds too good to be true, am I right?

But let’s talk about the 76ers for a moment. You remember them, right? They play in your division; you beat them three times last season. They haven’t been to the playoffs since 2011–12; you’ve been to the postseason three straight years. What do they have that you don’t have?

Two words: draft picks. You remember those, right? You’ve traded away seven first-rounders in recent years. Now, I’m not here to tell you how to do your job, buddy, but was that really the wisest decision? Philadelphia GM Sam Hinkie can finish in last place until the end of time just so long as he can flash those shiny picks in front of his detractors. There’s an old saying where I come from: In America, first you get the draft picks, then you get the power, then you get the women.

But Joe, how can I get more draft picks without valuable assets to deal?

I’m glad you asked! The picks can be yours if you buy into my foolproof system. I call it “The Tankshare Program.”

You’ve heard of timeshares, right? A group of people invest in a property to use as a vacation home. My program is similar, except instead of a vacation house, other GMs are going to invest in your wasted 2015–16 season.

Here’s how it works. There are several pick-wealthy organizations right now with a significant stake in where the Nets will eventually fall in next summer’s draft. The Celtics own your pick. They are loaded with middling future picks and a roster loaded with good players, but no true superstar. You represent their best chance to land a major impact player through the draft. The Sixers, on the other hand, would really love you to finish above them. Their destinies are at least somewhat in your hands. That’s leverage, baby!

If you buy into my program, I will personally call Celtics GM Danny Ainge:

“Hey, Danny, you hear about Brook Lopez’s foot injury? Yeah, it would be a damn shame if we lost by far our best player, perhaps the only guy on the roster capable of pulling us out of the cellar. But don’t worry — our doctors say the foot is fine, and he’s ready to play.
…or is he? There are always second opinions, you know what I’m getting at here? What if our doctors were to look again, maybe find a hairline fracture that would keep him on the shelf for a few months…the entire season, even. Would that be worth something to you? Like, say, the first-round pick you got from Dallas in the Rajon Rondo trade, perhaps?

Next, I’ll call Sam Hinkie:

Wassup, Sam. As you may have noticed, we signed Andrea Bargnani last summer. Turns out he’s pretty terrible…who would’ve guessed, right? He’s only averaging 7.9 minutes per game, yet he’s accumulated -0.1 win shares. Imagine the kind of damage he could do if he played, say, 35 minutes a night. Why, we might never win a game!

Of course, he doesn’t have to play that much. We could always give his minutes to more deserving big men, like Thaddeus Young or Thomas Robinson. But we’re friends, so I thought I’d seek out your advice. Would you like to see Bargnani play 35 minutes a night? Because I’d sure like those two second-rounders you got from the Knicks. Then everybody has what they want!

That’s the beauty of Tankshares — you can’t stop the Nets from being terrible, and you won’t profit from the draft pick, but you can at least grab a little something from those who have more to gain (or lose) from your final record than you do.

Let’s say, for example that you feel like buying out Joe Johnson’s $24.9 million contract. Where would he go once he became a midseason free agent? Probably some place like Cleveland, where the Cavs are plagued by injuries in the backcourt and desperate to win a title A.S.A.P. So maybe I call owner Dan Gilbert and say, “We don’t have to buy out Johnson, but if you’d toss in a second-rounder or two we might consider it.”

Now there will be some people who will throw around words like “fraud” and “extortion” — people like Adam Silver or maybe even the U.S. Attorney General. Well I say those people lack vision! Let me tell you about another man who was oppressed by the authorities because of his vision. He traveled around in tattered clothes, with a fervent group of disciples and a lot of new ideas. And he didn’t always do what the powers-that-be told him to do.

That man’s name was Bill Belichick.

The NBA needs a Bill Belichick — a visionary who isn’t afraid to to fly in the face of convention or rules or basic morality. With my help, Billy King, you can be that man. For the low, low price of $2 million per year, the Tankshare program can change your life. I’ll accept a personal check or money order. Thank you for your time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread Empty Re: The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread

Post by steve3344 Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:18 am

Wow. Nets almost beat GS on the road tonight. Warriors needed OT to beat Brooklyn. GS was without Klay Thompson but the Nets were without Julius Erving...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread Empty Re: The Official Brooklyn Nets Death Watch Thread

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:47 am

LOL thats funny Steve

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:26 am

Nets-Warriors was a good news/bad news thing.

The good news is that the Warriors won (or, depending on your point of view, that the Nets lost).

The bad news is that the Nets in no way resembled a team at the bottom of the standings. They actually looked decent. Thaddeus Young is a player. Brook Lopez can be pretty good. Jarrett Jack is a Jekyll/Hyde kind of player, but he shows his better self often enough that you'd think they'd win some games. Joe Johnson looks like he's put on about 25 pounds, but the rest of the roster isn't as bad as you'd expect for a team with a 1-9 record.

It was a mediocre performance by the Warriors, and the Nets should've won the game. Despite being 11-0 and having a 16-point average margin of victory, the Warriors haven't been playing as well in the second half of their streak, and it won't surprise me if they lose a couple of games soon. Maybe it will do them some good and get them back to playing the way they were the first few games of the season.

We'll see if the Nets can continue the level of play they showed in this game. Sorry to say, but they didn't look inept.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:59 am

Outside wrote:Nets-Warriors was a good news/bad news thing.

The good news is that the Warriors won (or, depending on your point of view, that the Nets lost).

The bad news is that the Nets in no way resembled a team at the bottom of the standings. They actually looked decent. Thaddeus Young is a player. Brook Lopez can be pretty good. Jarrett Jack is a Jekyll/Hyde kind of player, but he shows his better self often enough that you'd think they'd win some games. Joe Johnson looks like he's put on about 25 pounds, but the rest of the roster isn't as bad as you'd expect for a team with a 1-9 record.

It was a mediocre performance by the Warriors, and the Nets should've won the game. Despite being 11-0 and having a 16-point average margin of victory, the Warriors haven't been playing as well in the second half of their streak, and it won't surprise me if they lose a couple of games soon. Maybe it will do them some good and get them back to playing the way they were the first few games of the season.

We'll see if the Nets can continue the level of play they showed in this game. Sorry to say, but they didn't look inept.

I didn't watch the OT, the sushi restaurant I was in was closing and kicking me out, but I did watch the rest of the game. One of the first things I was going to do this morning was check the score. I was hoping someone would update this thread with the news and, happily, I was right.

There have been some articles suggesting that the Boston Celtics are trying to be "Warrior-like". I could see the resemblance last night in that GSW came out and couldn't throw the ball in the ocean for the entire first quarter. The only player who scored was Curry. Go figure.

GSW was down 17 and looking awful, while Brooklyn looked good. The guy next to me at the sushi bar, who doesn't know basketball, thought the game was effectively over. I said "it's still the first quarter, and they are the Brooklyn Nets". They almost made a liar out of me.

Jarrett Jack and Thaddeus Young really, really wanted to win this game. Green and Iggy could not contain Young and Jack ran circles around Curry.

GSW thought it was all good fun. They were making Sportcenter pass attempts, that didn't work and Brooklyn was working hard on both ends.

Bogut with a good game, 18 boards, 3 blocks, but almost gave away the game when he brought the ball down with a possession or two left in the 4th to let Jack strip him and score.

Curry 13-31. Not good shooting, but that's 32% of all GSW fgas. GSW 12-34 from 3 (35%) on 97 fgas. And we complain about how many 3s the Celtics take? That is a ton of 3s and a lot of fgas. The Nets were 2-18 from 3 and 98 fgas. A track meet last night with teams going up and down and up and down.

Joe Johnson is done. He looks old and slow. Bogie will replace him and Hollis-Jefferson will have the other wing slot before the season is over.

Brook Lopez is pretty much done. His boxscore isn't bad with 18 points, 9 boards, 3 blocks; but I didn't think he looked anything that remotely looks like "mobile" out there and the league is running more. Ergo the 'stretch 4s and 5s'.

The Nets are now 1-9, slightly ahead of the Sixers who are a perfect 0-10. Hinkie is breathing easier.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:32 pm

I saw some of the game too, I just wanted to add I think its a joke that Draymond Green made all defensive, while hes a good player who can do alot of things, no way is he an all defensive dominant defensive player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I just hope that the Nets keep losing every night. By one point or getting blown out, every loss for them is a good day for us.

Cs have to sweep them in the back to back next week as these are very, very important games.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Clyde

No doubt we can pick out their plot.

The magnitude of this pick will grow with each Nets loss. 25 games in they will be looking to dump whatever good players are left. Lopez is about due for another foot injury (not that I would wish that on anyone) The Fleecing of the nets by DA is beyond comprehension.

The pick is really all about a numbers game but if this looks like a top 3 opportunity I hope Boston will retain the pick and add a stud next year.

Here is a question however. If DA decided to trade the pick and other assets for a player who are the top guys we should go after.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:05 pm

dboss,

If Ainge trades any of the Nets picks (especially the 2016 pick) it/they has to go for a certified all star type player at either the center or shooting forward position.

There is no need for a point guard type with Thomas and Smart already around with Rozier to back them up. There is no need for a power forward with Sullinger, Olynyk, Johnson, Zerebko and Lee still on the team.

Zeller will do well as a backup center if a big timer is brought in and Crowder and the other guys who can play small forward and shooting guard can back up an the potential all star shooting forward.

Remember, that no really good team has all stars at every position, but rather a couple of all stars and then a great complementary bunch to help those all stars. The complementary players already abound on the Cs roster.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:37 pm

With back to back games coming up this weekend against the Nets, the Celts have an excellent opportunity to kick more dirt on them
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:37 pm

dboss,

I hope the Nets get some more such dirt today.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Wide

One shovel at a time.

If the nets have an once of pride they will come out today and play with energy.

Philly should be banned from drafting in the first round for at least 5 years. At 0-14 they are a disgrace to the NBA. The Nets are not trying to tank but they just plan suck and we are looking at a pick 1-6. The numbers could go our way or go away. I just think it is time for the Boston Celtics to land a top NBA draft pick.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:05 pm

dboss my sons tell me this is a weak draft....wish we could have somehow got Porzingis. Phil Jackson knew exactly what he was doing last year, this year I don't see any Towns, Okafor or Porzingis out there, Porzingis had 24-14 last night with 7 blocks!!! Hes Dirk like on offense and Gobert like on defense, hes gonna be the next big thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Looks like the Celtics realized the #1 pick will probably go to PHI and gave one to Brooklyn last night. Either that or we still have a long way to go. 80's Celtics would have won the home and away weekend special.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Looks like the Celtics realized the #1 pick will probably go to PHI and gave one to Brooklyn last night.  Either that or we still have a long way to go.  80's Celtics would have won the home and away weekend special.

db  

80's Celtics had Bird, McHale and Parish. And Ainge and DJ. So is your point the 80's Celtics were better than this team with not one really special player on it? Oh, ok, I get it.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:29 pm

And they still suck which is great for Boston

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:40 pm

dboss wrote:And they still suck which is great for Boston

Dboss

They're actually 5-5 their last ten games and looking more comptetive lately which I'm not real happy about. They started out 2-11 and looked like they would win around 15 games and compete for the the worst record in the league. Now it looks like they will definitely be no worse than #3 (with definitely Philly and LA losing many more games than Brooklyn). Hopefully they finish behind Sacramento (possible) and New Orleans (currently one game worse than BKN but definitely a better team and a virtual lock to be better than the Nets). My guess is BKN battles it out with Sacramento for either the third or fourth worst record in the league.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:43 am

Making A run huh?

I sure hope not. We need a high pick.

Will Lopez make I through the season?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:19 am

This thread was started last year but the game is still the same, DIE BROOKLYN, DIE!!

After a 4-5 start, making them happy and us not, they have lost 7 in a row and are now just 1 game back from league worst Dallas and 1/2 game back from 2nd worst Philly.  Dallas will improve when Dirk comes back and Philly will improve over the year as they develop chemistry.  Saric, Embiid and, hopefully Simmons eventually, are all NBA rookies.  All Brooklyn has to look forward to is the return of Jeremy Lin.  Color me underwhelmed.

30.  Dallas, 3-13
29.  Philly, 4-13
28.  Brooklyn, 4-12
27.  Phoenix, 5-13

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 am

Absolutely love the Nyets.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:12 am

GO NETS!

I mean Don't Go Nets!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:18 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:dboss my sons tell me this is a weak draft....wish we could have somehow got Porzingis. Phil Jackson knew exactly what he was doing last year, this year I don't see any Towns, Okafor or Porzingis out there, Porzingis had 24-14 last night with 7 blocks!!! Hes Dirk like on offense and Gobert like on defense, hes gonna be the next big thing.

It is a weak draft for Power Forwards and centers.

However 1-3 is very strong!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Brooklyn is arguably the worst team in the NBA. They are sporting a -9.1 point differential
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Go Nyets, That is funny.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Brian Robb
Brian Robb
@CelticsHub about 30 minutes ago
Nets just got some competition for worst record in NBA. twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/stat…

Reply Retweet Like

Miami HEAT – Verified account ‏@MiamiHEAT

Justise Winslow will undergo surgery tomorrow to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder & is likely out for the remainder of the season.
6:02 PM - 4 Jan 2017
626 RETWEETS418 LIKES

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next