cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
23 posters

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Odds and Ends - Page 11 Empty Re: Odds and Ends

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 am

Outside wrote:The Warriors-Spurs game had some of the best defense you'll see. Both teams played really well at that end. As BobH noted, the Spurs switched on Curry constantly so as to not lose track of him on all the screening action, and it was pretty successful.

Still, as a Warriors fan, I found plenty to be optimistic about. The Warriors shot poorly because of the excellent Spurs defense, but they also missed plenty of open shots that they'd normally make at least some of. This was Golden State's ninth game in 13 days, and they had played the night before in Dallas. Bogut, Iguodala, and Ezeli were all out, while the Spurs had their entire roster available. And despite all that, they were ahead in the fourth quarter and right there with a couple of minutes to go.

It will be interesting to see how the next two meetings go.

we could defend GS as good or better if we had legit rim protection, our perimeter defense with our guards is the best in the business and better than SA. We could do all that switching and have versatile tenacious defenders all over perimeter and wing, but still need a legit power player that can protect the rim.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:54 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:The Celts still must add a powerful force in the middle.

AJ could be that guy.  Or the Celtics may go the trade route ir free agency.

I think the situation is very fluid.

I would like to see the top 2 or 3 Players per position that are draft prospects.

Dboss

I doubt Hammonds will ever be a force in the middle in the NBA. Maybe a solid back up big man, but not a quality NBA starter, especially in todays game.

in fact if you want an upgrade at center this off- season, there will be no help from this draft. I don't think Poetl or Zimmerman are any better than Zeller to be honest.

so Free agents or trade is Dannys best option for a center upgrade, IMO.

I agree that Poetl and Zimmerman are not better than Hammons, however almost any center is an upgrade defensively over Zeller and KO is probably the worst defensive big in the league near the rim.

Cow,

I know I've said this before but have you considered that, if you are blocking/intimidating a shot at the rim, your defense has already failed and "getting bailed out" with a stop at the rim is not a situation you want to be in if you can avoid it in the first place?  Despite our 4 game losing streak we are still the #5 offense in the league, just .1ppg behind Houston for 4th, despite our lack of height and physically intimidating front court.  We are 7th in the league in having the lowest opponent's fg%, ahead of Miami with Whiteside and ahead of OKC with Adams and Ibaka and way ahead of the Jazz with Gobert and Favors but who are in 13th.  Utah has great rim protection, and they are in the middle of the league on fg% defense.  It doesn't matter whether a shot goes in from 2' or 12', it's still 2 points.  We are 6th in the league in team +/- (total points scored - total points given up).  In a league that is becoming increasingly more perimeter and 3pt oriented, we have the 2nd best 3pt fg% defense in the league, behind San Antonio.  Brad and Pop think alike.  The Jazz, who may not make the playoffs but who have great rim protection, are 9th in fg% defense <5'.  GSW is 12th.  If rim protection is so important then why is GSW on track to setting a league record and not Utah?  It's because this is an offense-oriented league now. Utah is 6th in fg% defense 5-9', we are 8th, only .2% behind Utah.  How bad can we be if we're 8th and only .2% behind a team whose interior defense and rim protection you drool over?  Maybe you're focusing too much on an individual's defense and not as much on team defense?  Just a thought or two.

I have no problem with rim protectors, and I know we need one who will play, at the minimum, solid rotation minutes, but a rim protector who has no offense and cannot shoot fritos isn't carrying his weight (figuratively speaking) at the other end.  If your perimeter defense is porous then your rim protector will have to come off his man to defend that and will either pick up fouls on the switch or you'll give up a layup/dunk as his man gets the layoff pass.

If teams are getting shots at the rim, your defense has already failed.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:50 pm

bob and Cow

Bob
    Nice job of presenting the big picture vs the sometimes irrelevant details that are often times overstated.

Cow
     Ranking the Warriors, Spurs, Celtics based on opponents FG% at various distances.

Warriors - 0-3' = 22nd,  3-10' = 2nd, - 10-16' = 4th, 16<3 =12th, 3p =3rd
    Spurs     - 0-3' = 1st,    3-10' = 18th,- 10-16' = 9th, 16<3 = 9th,  3p = 1st
    Celtics   - 0-3' = 15th,  3-10' = 6th, - 10-16' = 6th, 16<3 = 14th, 3p = 2nd

As you can see Cow the Celtics compare very favorably with the the 2 top teams when it comes to defensively defending the rim. Its the total picture that really matters.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:48 am

Cowens ,
you may like this recent mock draft concerning Hammonds

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

for those only interested in Bostons MOCK picks;

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int
17. M. Beasley 6-5 SG Florida St
21. AJ Hammonds 7-0 C- Purdue

31. M. Trimble 6-3 PG Maryland
35. D. House 6-7 SF Texas A&M
47. B. Bentil 6-9 PF Providence
54- S. McClellan 6-5 SG Miami
58. P. Cormelie 7-0 PF Int

now that's a lot of rookies!!

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

on another draft note, has anyone seen Skal Labissiere actually play this year?

I am on board with Simmons, Ingram and J. brown as the top three, but after that Bender and Skal are both kinda unknowns for me.

do you grab one of them at 4 or maybe at 3 even if you feel Brown won't improve his shot in the NBA ?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:18 pm

kdp59 wrote:Cowens ,

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int
16. M. Beasley 6-5 SG Florida St

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

I think Bender is the player that Boston should choose if they pick at #4, but there's no guarantee he will be able to get out of his contract next season.
His first opt out isn't until the 2018-19 season, unless a large fee is paid and Tel Aviv agrees to let him out early.
If Boston wants more of an immediate impact player, that will probably be Dunn, Murray or Hield, but Boston probably shouldn't draft a guard with that pick.
The two potential impact wings (Simmons and Ingram) will be off the board already.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 pm

kdp59 wrote:on another draft note, has anyone seen Skal Labissiere actually play this year?

I did a couple of times, not for entire games, so others may have a better sample size on which to base an opinion.

I'm totally underwhelmed by what little I've seen, and his stats are less than impressive -- 16 minutes per game, 6.6 points, 3.1 rebounds, didn't make a three all year. He's stick-thin and gets pushed around by college players, so putting him up against NBA players would be borderline abuse. He should stay in school. No way is he ready.

But what is his potential five years down the road? This is the stuff that drives GMs nuts. He apparently has skills and natural ability or else there wouldn't be this lottery pick hype around him. If he fills out so that he can hold his own physically and won't get pushed off his spot by Paul George's pinkie finger, then maybe those pluses can assert themselves and he can be a productive player. But that's not guaranteed, so whoever picks him will be picking the possibility of that several years in the future. Sounds like a good pick for Philly.

Here is a pretty detailed article I found on him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2614997-from-projected-top-pick-to-struggling-reserve-the-decline-of-skal-labissiere
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:08 pm

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

I am on board with Simmons, Ingram and J. brown as the top three, but after that Bender and Skal are both kinda unknowns for me.

do you grab one of them at 4 or maybe at 3 even if you feel Brown won't improve his shot in the NBA ?

WOW Thanks kdp, this is the first time I've ever seen him on this side in the top 30 and incredible, even slotted to go to my team!!! Wonder if it is just the opinions of a bunch of guys or do they have inside sources and talk with NBA people? AJ is not perfect, but he has attributes to play the 5 in an oldschool way that a team, especially our team still needs and can help us, this would be great if we got him. He may not be Tim Duncan, but I guarentee he will not be Fab Melo.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:27 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

WOW Thanks kdp, this is the first time I've ever seen him on this side in the top 30 and incredible, even slotted to go to my team!!! Wonder if it is just the opinions of a bunch of guys or do they have inside sources and talk with NBA people? AJ is not perfect, but he has attributes to play the 5 in an oldschool way that a team, especially our team still needs and can help us, this would be great if we got him. He may not be Tim Duncan, but I guarentee he will not be Fab Melo.

Cow,

This is for you.  It's the latest scouting report on your latest obsession, AJ Hammons.  It's from October of last year, but...draftexpress still has him at #37, but if he moves up they will certainly do a full-blown video on him.  Until then...

October 26, 2015
Jacob Eisenberg

A.J. Hammons arrived at Purdue with high expectations as a top-100 recruit. Three years later, he still hasn't quite established himself as a surefire NBA prospect. Now, already 23 years old, he's returning for his senior season in an attempt to build off of an impressive second half to the 2014-2015 campaign and improve his draft stock.

Hammons clearly has the size and strength the play in the NBA. At 7'0 and 280 pounds, there are few players in the nation who can match Hammons' brute physique. He uses his size to his advantage effectively on the interior. Last season, Hammons averaged 19.6 points and 10.9 rebounds per-40 minutes, both rating in the top-10 in DX's database among top-100 prospects.

Hammons is not only massive, but he's also long. He was measured with a 7'3 wingspan in 2011 so it's fair to assume he may be even longer now. He's earned his reputation as an elite rim protector at the college level; last season, Hammons averaged 4.6 blocks per-40 minutes – a top-three rate in the NCAA among qualified prospects.

US Presswire

Offensively, Hammons can be overwhelming for opponents in the paint. More than half of his offensive possessions last season came with his back to the basket, where he made 93-of-180 of his post-ups (51.7%). When he wasn't posting up, Hammons lurked around the basket gained his team extra possessions on the glass. Hammons pulled down 4.0 offensive rebounds per-40 minutes and grabbed 12.2% of all available offensive rebounds as junior – both rating in the top-10 for draft prospects. He also made 47-of-71 (66.2%) shots around the basket, proving he's capable of finishing consistently when establishing position around the paint.

Hammons will help himself greatly if he learns to battle more in gaining positioning near the rim. More often than not, he settles on the edge of the paint and starts his entry moves from shallow post positioning. Equipped with an effective drop step, Hammons should use his size to gain deep positioning before calling for entry passes. Unfortunately, he doesn't always display the type of intensity-level you'd like to see, as he often looks lethargic getting up and down the court and doesn't always display the type of toughness you'd like to see from a player with his physical attributes.

Hammons gets to the line frequently. He averaged 6.6 free throw attempts per-40 but while he's steadily improved his touch at the line, he's still just a 68.4% free throw shooter.

He has a surprisingly nice arc on his shots away from the hoop but has yet to translate the smooth mechanics into smooth efficiency. He made just four of his 25 jump shots attempts (16%) beyond 17 feet last season and often attempted those shots with his feet either on or within the three-point line – showing a disregard for court awareness.

He's not comfortable nor willing as a passer, as evidenced by his pedestrian 1.5 assists per-40 minutes and lackluster 9.1% assist rate. This could be explained by the fact that bad things tend to happen when Hammons tries to create anything for teammates offensively. He's one of the most turnover prone players in the NCAA. Last season, he averaged 3.5 turnovers per-40 minutes – the highest rate for all big men in the NCAA. And per Synergy Sports Technology, Hammons turned the ball over on a whopping 17.2% of his possessions last season – a rate that simply won't cut it at the NBA level.

The root of Hammons' turnovers comes from his rigid footwork, which often leads to traveling violations. From December 8th to January 21st, Hammons was demoted to the bench, before a recalibration of focus brought him back to the starter's role.

While his movements are often mechanical, he actually does have decent mobility for a player of his size. He's not explosive but he gets off the ground for dunks with surprising quickness and finishes strong when he has momentum.

His mobility could eventually develop into a strong suit as a diver in pick-and-rolls at the next level. He has enormous hands and, with his wingspan, he should be an excellent lob target for his guards on alley oops.

Hammons' inconsistent motor is a major red flag in his game. He was held under 10 points in about a third of his team's games last season and finished with five or less total rebounds in about a quarter of his team's games. He's lowered his foul rate to a passable 4.2 fouls per-40 minutes but still commits unnecessary fouls early in the game which forces him to sit out on the action with consistency.

Overall, at 23 years old, what you see is likely what you'll get with Hammons at the next level. He's a physical specimen with the mobility and skill-level to develop into a solid rotation player in the NBA. Still, as a big man, he is a mediocre rebounder and is far too sporadic with his effort-level, not displaying anywhere near the type of intensity you'd like to see on a consistent basis. Still, with his size, length, skill-level, and rim-protection prowess, he's someone who will be getting looks for many years to come due to the scarcity of players at his position with similar attributes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:06 pm

bob Thanks, but I read that already, and if you didn't catch Purdue's last game, they have terrible point guard play, which is the main reason they lost the game. Purdue's guards could not get him the ball or defend, my son and I talked during that game and he said that has been the teams problem all year, weak guard play. If they had a decent point, AJ could have put up better numbers, I think he'll make a great role player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:27 pm

Just finished reading Unfinished Business by Jack McCallum. Came across it at the library the other day and realized I hadn't read it. Not many Celtics books I haven't read.

Anyway it was a good read about the 1990-91 season both on and off the court. The big three getting older; the young guns Reggie Lewis, Brian Shaw and rookie Dee Brown; Eddie Pinckney, Joe Kleine, Oscar Gamble and old friend Michael Smith; rookie head coach Chris Ford, Dave Gavitt........

Of course it ended with a defeat to the Pistons in the playoffs, so it wasn't the best Celtics book ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

I think NBAdraft,net is just a bunch of guys, but I'm not sure.

they do their own detailed profiles of many players though and they are pretty spot on many times. I have goen back after a couple years and read their profiles and found them to be pretty solid as to who a young players develops.

of course they also get some of them wrong, like everyone.

check this one out from a few years ago for instance:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/isaiah-thomas

and that was from a kid many thought would go undrafted, keep in mind
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:12 am

kdp59 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

they do their own detailed profiles of many players though and  they are pretty spot on many times. I have goen back after a couple years and read their profiles and found them to be pretty solid as to who a young players develops.

of  course they also get some of them wrong, like everyone.

And he even shrunk from 5'10" then to 5'9" now.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:15 am

steve3344 wrote:
kdp59 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

4. D. Bender 7-0 PF Int

hate it?

Love it?

could care less?

they do their own detailed profiles of many players though and  they are pretty spot on many times. I have goen back after a couple years and read their profiles and found them to be pretty solid as to who a young players develops.

of  course they also get some of them wrong, like everyone.

And he even shrunk from 5'10" then to 5'9" now.

steve,

Shrinkage. It's a fact of life.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:28 am

I was in the ocean!!! I was in the water!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm sure everyone saw that Cousins was suspended AGAIN.

I rest my case..Again!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:15 pm

dboss wrote:I'm sure everyone saw that Cousins was suspended AGAIN.

I rest my case..Again!

dboss

Due to total techs a suspension of 1 game is required.

I'd still take him in a heartbeat....but doubt he is going anywhere.
seems Perk had some T issues with us a few years ago.

I totally believe if he played on a team that actually won some games he would be a lot less likely to have these issues.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:01 pm

beat wrote:

I rest my case..Again!

dboss

I totally believe if he played on a team that actually won some games he would be a lot less likely to have these issues.

beat

A winning team does not necessarily lead to less bad attitude, less immaturity and less technical fouls. Once upon a time we had a winning team, a championship caliber team. We had both Perk and Sheed piling up the techs throughout the regular season at an alarming rate. Both or at least one of them had to sit out a one game suspension before the regular season was over.

When the playoffs arrived, the tech limit had a reset. Both of them continued to run their mouths at the refs and wouldn't just shut up! Again, they both were up against the limit and put their team's success in jeopardy. I will always believe that Sheed's arrival poisoned Perk (always a hothead) to even more lack of control.

There is no way that I want to chance that again, especially considering how many of our assets it will cost to get Cousins. I absolutely do not want him to infect our young guys with his poor attitude when things don't go his way. Having him on any other team is a joy as we can all watch him throw his team under the bus at a crucial time. Just like Josh Smith, so much potential, so little brain power and self control.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:23 pm

beat wrote:

I rest my case..Again!

dboss

beat

Beat

I know that suspension is automatic when you reach 16 technical fouls. But that is the the point that I am making. If he is not disrespecting the refs he is disrespecting his coach. He is not leading the team by example. Sorry i just do not buy the notion that the Celtics will become a better team with him on it.

I'm no psychologist but this guy has some real issues dealing with authority. He is an angry young man that is pampered and expects to get whatever he wants. Sure everybody wants to be on a winning team but he seems like the type of person that will bitch and complain when things are not going well. Perk got techs but Perk is nothing like this bum.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:12 pm

dboss wrote:
beat wrote:

I rest my case..Again!

dboss

beat

Beat

I know that suspension is automatic when you reach 16 technical fouls.  But that is the the point that I am making.  If he is not disrespecting the refs he is disrespecting his coach.  He is not leading the team by example.  Sorry i just do not buy the notion that the Celtics will become a better team with him on it.

I'm no psychologist but this guy has some real issues dealing with authority.  He is an angry young man that is pampered and expects to get whatever he wants.  Sure everybody wants to be on a winning team but he seems like the type of person that will bitch and complain when things are not going well.  Perk got techs but Perk is nothing like this bum.

dboss

Really how can you be so sure. Man plays hard and how do you know he disrespects the coach? Seems most of what is said about him comes from writers. Maybe just maybe the coach deserves very little respect....by the way just how many coaching changes has he had to enture? Obviously past ones haven't been very successful. As for Perk not being like him...that's for sure!! It ain't even close !! Put him on a winning team and I believe he cuts "most' of the crap out. Losing gets to you eventually...........and since he's been in the pros this is his teams best season.....and it still sucks.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Beat

DA has no intentions to trade major assets for this bum

I find it hard to believe that character is not High on your list.

You keep making excuses for him based on his talent. He continues to be a problem child. Until there is evidence that he has changed, I see no good reason for pursuing him.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Guess we will have to agree to disagree BUT I would give up quite a bit to corral this guy IF he were available, and I do not consider anything he's done to be "terrible" by the way

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:45 pm

we had Sheed and Perk on the same team one year, I had no problem with that and would have no problem with Cousins. Alot of you guys are into stats, the stats say hes the best center in the league, I can only imagine how great Stevens would know how to use him with all our good players.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:19 pm

I wouldn't pass judgement on him without knowing what his teammates and coaches think of him. And that of course is info that General Managers will most likely have available to base their evaluations of his worth in any trade scenarios.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:51 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:we had Sheed and Perk on the same team one year, I had no problem with that and would have no problem with Cousins. Alot of you guys are into stats, the stats say hes the best center in the league, I can only imagine how great Stevens would know how to use him with all our good players.

Totally agree on that one Cow.  He's had how many coaches and how many systems and lost HOW MANY GAMES? if this is the best team he has been on in 5 years and they barely win 30 games...............any reasonable competitor would get a little pissed (and I wouldn't want it any other way!)

I'm sure there are teams he feels like crap when he puts up 30 points 15 boards handful of assists steals and blocks .............and they loose by 30 regardless.

He can run and shoot and play pretty good defense, and as you say stats say there is no one better over at his size !

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Maybe if he did not take as many shots per game that would help his team win.  He takes more shots than the top 20 centers in the league but his FG percentage is 19th.

That is a stat that no one talks about.

I believe he has more turnovers than assists.  

That is a stat no one talks about.

I can cherry picks stats that prove that he is not the best center in the league.

But that is the least of reasons why I am totally against the Celtics making any effort to acquire him.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next