cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
swish
gyso
kdp59
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CELTICS NEED A STAR, BUT DEMARCUS COUSINS WOULD BE A TERRIBLE FIT Empty CELTICS NEED A STAR, BUT DEMARCUS COUSINS WOULD BE A TERRIBLE FIT

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:15 pm

WEEI

JOHN TOMASE

DeMarcus Cousins has caused plenty of grimaces in his short career. (Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
If you're an idiot on an NBA roster, there's nowhere to hide, which is why I want no part of DeMarcus Cousins.

The mercurial Kings standout was suspended for Thursday's game at Miami, one day after delivering a forearm shiver to the head of Atlanta's Al Horford.

It's just the latest in a long line of disciplinary issues for the fifth pick in the 2010 draft, and we'll get to the litany of his transgressions in a minute.

But first, the relevance to the Celtics. Trader Danny Ainge has long maintained that you only win championships with transcendent players, and on talent alone, Cousins makes your jaw drop.

The 6-foot-11, 270-pounder made his first All-Star team last year and has been even better this season, averaging 27.5 points and 11.1 rebounds while stretching the floor. After totaling 11 3-pointers in his first five seasons, he already has 14 (on 41.2 percent shooting) in just eight games.

He's one of the most mobile, explosive big men in the NBA, with some Shaq to his game around the rim, and some Barkley in his ability to put the ball on the floor and get there. He's a physical marvel.

His hot start, combined with the Kings' mess of a roster/management/ownership, has many believing he could be dealt. And the question raised in the last week by Celtics fans is a tantalizing one: Would you deal the Nets' unprotected lottery pick to get him?

With Brooklyn visiting on Friday for a home-and-home with the Celtics this weekend, now seems like a good time to examine the question. Put me firmly in the, "No, no, a million times no," camp, and here's why.

DeMarcus Cousins is an Idiot with a capital I, and name the last team to win a title with one of those as its best player.

You can't, because it hasn't happened. In fact, I can think of only three champions in the last 30 years that have won with a true malcontent playing a significant role: the Ron Artest Lakers, the Rasheed Wallace Pistons (and nearly the Rasheed Wallace Celtics, dammit), and the Dennis Rodman Bulls. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and the commenters will let me know, but you get the idea.

Think instead of the main stars on the last however many champs you want to name: Steph Curry, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Dwyane Wade, Chauncey Billups, Shaq, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

You might have to go all the way back to the 1979 SuperSonics, led by none other than Dennis Johnson, to find a team that won a title with a perceived problem as its best player. Whatever DJ's issues with Seattle coach Lenny Wilkens, or during three subsequent moody, disappointing seasons in Phoenix, by the time he retired after winning two more championships in Boston, he was considered the consummate big-game pro.

I have a hard time envisioning Cousins making a similar transition, especially when you consider his career to date. His best-case scenario role model is probably Artest, a powder keg who managed not to blow under the strong leadership of Kobe and Derek Fisher when the Lakers won it all in 2010.

Cousins is more talented than Artest (I feel stupid, to this day, typing Metta World Peace), but he's no less a head case.

This year already, he reportedly has cursed out veteran coach George Karl in the locker room and gotten suspended for the Horford swipe. He has ranked no worse than fifth in technical fouls in each of his five seasons, leading the league twice. He has variously been suspended for insubordination, for confronting Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott after a game, for a low blow on O.J. Mayo, for maxing out on techs, and for punching Patrick Beverley in the stomach. He narrowly dodged a suspension for elbowing Mike Dunleavy in the back of the head. Got all that?

The Kings rewarded him with a four-year, $62 million extension in September of 2013 anyway, because that's how the NBA works. No one can afford to walk away from talent.

As of now, there's no indication Cousins is available, except he seems to be perpetually available, thanks to all the headaches. The Celtics have a pretty good thing going early in 2015, and the temptation to add a piece that would immediately become their best player certainly is tempting.

But Cousins carries too much baggage, and could too easily upset what Ainge and coach Brad Stevens are building. The Herald's Steve Bulpett, the dean of NBA writers in these parts, recently termed the Celtics wary of Cousins for exactly that reason. He put the odds of the Brooklyn pick going to Sacramento at roughly zero.

With the Nets in town, the Celtics can improve their draft position. Just 2-10, Brooklyn currently owns the third-worst record in the NBA. If the season ended today, the Celtics would hold a 15.6 percent chance to land the first overall pick. Those aren't great odds, but even the worst team in the league only gets a 25 percent chance. The Celtics would be guaranteed to pick no worse than sixth and in all probability would land in the top five.

It's too early to say how the draft will shake out. At this time last year, for instance, Ohio State's D'Angelo Russell wasn't featured in too many mock drafts, and he ultimately went second overall to the Lakers. The clear prize, for now, is LSU freshman Ben Simmons (Russell's high school teammate in Florida, for what it's worth), who put up a 23 and 16 against South Alabama on Thursday night and is averaging over five assists a game to accompany his double-double.

There's an 85 percent chance the Celtics lose the lottery, so holding out for Simmons may be a pipe dream. But I'd rather put my hopes in the ping-pong balls bouncing fortuitously than in hitching my wagon to Cousins. Said wagon would be overturned while the livestock scattered within a month.

The Celtics, we keep hearing, are one star away from actually being something. DeMarcus Cousins is not that star. The search continues.

Back to top Go down

CELTICS NEED A STAR, BUT DEMARCUS COUSINS WOULD BE A TERRIBLE FIT Empty Re: CELTICS NEED A STAR, BUT DEMARCUS COUSINS WOULD BE A TERRIBLE FIT

Post by kdp59 Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:42 pm

sounds about right to me!

I personally am not sold that you need that dominate big man to win in todays NBA.

I think you can make an argument that its more important to have a high volume, go-to scorer today. (can anyone say Durant?)

but if another big man IS something you desire in Green next year, I might look at trying to steal Horford from Atlanta myself.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

CELTICS NEED A STAR, BUT DEMARCUS COUSINS WOULD BE A TERRIBLE FIT Empty Re: CELTICS NEED A STAR, BUT DEMARCUS COUSINS WOULD BE A TERRIBLE FIT

Post by gyso Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:56 pm

This is a case where I would rather take our chances in a crap shoot than trade for Cousins.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Remember Bad News Barnes.............I have no idea why Red signed this guy! Let us hope Danny does not make the same mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Danny is a hellava lot closer to the scene then I am. I'll defer to Danny's judgement.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Cousins drives me crazy! He is. Member of the new generation of players who think the game revolves around them and do not play TEAM ball. His personality is a real negative, he is not the answer to the Celtics problems. Remember the complaints about Rondo, this is his brother
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Rosalie..............YOU ARE FUNNY! GOOD POST!

HOPE ALL IS WELL.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:47 am

Guy might make faces, but hes a force all over the floor, even has a better 3% than anyone on our team, except AB....he would be a big upgrade over any big we have. I don't see Sac trading him, but if we could get him, I'd do it....in a second.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:03 am

Cowans

At what cost to the overall sanity of the team and locker room.  He does not have the emotional bandwidth to sustain a level emotional balance if you are playing team ball.

His personal stats verses the teams do not add up, which points to the fact that he is not making any of his teammates around him better.

Danny has charted a coarse and let us give it one more year.

I'll say this, even if Cousins found religion and played team ball.........which is a big stretch..................the Celtics are still a number of players away from being a significant presence in the NBA.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

"His personal stats verses the teams do not add up, which points to the fact that he is not making any of his teammates around him better."
In regards to your above statement.
The fact that Cousins is putting up some great numbers while the team is not,may simply reflect the possibility that his supporting cast is inferior. Perhaps trading him to Golden State for Bogut would improve the Kings record.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 pm

This Cousins guy may just be a guy who needs to find his way to a solidly coached team that already knows how to play hard and as a team to make him beyond successful. Not that stats are everything, but he may actually increase his stats in a good situation.

Look at the total mess that the Sacremento Kings have been since he was drafted. Ownership turmoil, front office turmoil and confusion, a coaching carousel (even dumping out the one guy who seemed to have Cousins completely tuned in), tons of player movement in and out, losing every single year for his entire career to date, etc, etc. I can easily see why a young, immature kid could have come up through such a system and still be very confused.

His talents are undeniable, he has not yet entered the prime of his professional career and does not even have a max contract yet while also playing a position that the Cs are probably the weakest. So, I would take a chance on him as well if he became available. Trading a few of the many draft picks that the C's have and one of their power forwards plus David Lee to balance off the contract money would be a good gamble,, in my opinion.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:34 pm

If I recall this subject was debated in other threads.  Some WEEI guys comes out with something that triggers the debate all over again.

It is highly unlikely that The Kings would be willing to trade Cousins to the Celtics.

It appears that he has an attitude problem and he wears his emotions on his face but aside from that he really is a tremendous basketball player.  

However the Celtics are due to strike gold sooner or later and the 2016 draft renews all hope that the Celtics may land a great player.  We all can accept the results of a crap shoot.  

DA does not really need to follow the same path as he did in 2007.  He will need to move some picks because he has too many and there is no way possible to use them to stock a roster that is already well stocked with young prospects.  But my hope is that the Crooklyn picks  are retained.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:37 pm

Wide,

If Cousins cannot function with George Karl he cannot function anywhere.  Karl is a HOF coach.

And I ask again, does Cousins make his teammates better?.........Simple question.

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:45 pm

dboss,

Yes, Yes, Yes! Ainge does need to move some draft picks. He has the potential to have EIGHT draft picks in next year's draft alone. Where could 8 rookies possibly fit in to the 2016-17 roster? Likely no more than two (maybe three) of the possible eight even get to wear a Celtics practice jersey when preseason camp opens.

I would give Sacremento a number one from next year (even the Nets pick, but better the Mavs or the Cs pick) and all of the number two picks that they could haul home in their wheelbarrow, James Young and David Lee for Cousins and one additional player (even if this other guy never plays a second and gets waived) from the Kings.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Karl comes in and wants to trade you so you are supposed to do what?  Play great basketball and that is exactly what Cousins has done thus far this year.  27 PPG  11.2 rebounds and even  shooting .389% from beyond the arc.  

The way I see it he is a top 5 player and the # 1 big man in the NBA right now at age 25.  

Here is an interesting article http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2240721-meet-the-real-demarcus-cousins-strong-willed-maturing-misunderstood

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:52 pm

I understand your question, but sometimes the situation/circumstances a player is in can dictate whether that player is capable of elevating his teammates.   Factors to consider starting with the fact that Cousins arrived in Sacremento as a 19 year older could be: constant coaching changes, inferior other talent (especially for play in the Western Conference since Cousins arrived) and to a lesser extent maybe the ownership chaos that has swirled around the franchise seemingly for the length of Cousins tenure there.

Could be not all of his fault, but I could be wrong as well.  

However, there is no question that he would make any/all of our current power forwards better because he is a much better center than any of our current power forwards.  His rebounding is superior, his shooting percentage is pretty good, he can block shots and he can even pass.  He would eat up the other centers in the East. He would have to learn a new system, but I bet that Stevens and his staff could teach him that while all of the present Cs players would get him to buy in and play hard every night.

Last edited by wide clyde on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:58 pm

wide

I do not want to appear to be on two sides of the fence. I think Cousins is a tremendous basketball player and I am not convinced that he would be a problem. I would not give up this year's Crooklyn pick to get him.

Overall I think all arguments for or against a move are Moot points. The Kings are not going to trade Cousins. He is already under contract for several years and he is playing better than ever. Ownership is NOT going to trade him anytime soon so why are we still having a debate about his fit on the Celtics and what assets would be needed to get him?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Wide,

I agree in your statement so yes the management and team was bad but I feel that that may have damaged him beyond repair.

Where he stands now he is damaged goods, buyer beware.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:52 pm

I don't think he is as damaged as you make him out to be, he wears his emotions on his sleeve, but he hasn't spit at any kid in the stands yet as Charles Barkley did once. Wasn't Barkley a prick to management and the media in his younger years, blasting management for getting rid of Moses while in a losing situation?

If you think Stevens is a good coach now with a bunch of good rotation players and role players, how much better could he coach a legit force like Cousins with whatever is left over after the trade? if we could pull it off. Cousins can carry a team in a way similar to Shaq and Moses, right now no center is capable of monster scoring/rebounding games like him....IMHO he has never had the pieces or coaching around him to succeed.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:16 pm

COWANS

I love ya buddy, but no way.  Bringing Charles Barkley into the conversation has no relevance to what we have going on here.  Barkley was a great player but he was a loose cannon. I would not want Barkley representing the Celtics with his actions nor whining.

Danny is probably at the most important juncture of his rebuild.  Right move pushes the Celtics into the elite class of the NBA.........a wrong move pushes back to square one 3 years ago.

Don't get greedy it may come to bite you in the ass! The art of the deal............let the deal come to you.....don't chase it.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:50 pm

Hey buddy what exactly has Cousins done that is worse or even near what Barkley did at that time? Barkley was way worse and his actions and bluntness with management led to him being traded to Phoenix....also heard a story of him throwing someone that was supposedly bothering him thru a window. Without him Suns obviously never get to Finals in 93.

The kid has gotten some bad press, I'm sure some deserved....what has he done so BAD? other than making faces and shouting sometimes, I don't see it. KG was a manic talker/shouting shit at everybody and I loved what he did for this franchise. Perception is not always reality, I actually saw Barkley in city a few times, he was low key, was never a problem.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:57 am

Cowan,

You have a short memory. I saw him in Boston go into his baby bull shxt complaining while 4 of his teammates were down court trying to play defense while he is lollygagging with the ref's about a missed call. AND THE CELTICS TOOK ADVANTAGE AND SCORED!

I have seen this every time I've watched the guy. He is a walking baby in a 6'11" 270 body........a man child. Not that he is not a bad guy off the court, but he is child like and you cannot take such as risk. Imagine when he gets to the last year and wants an extended contract at max and Danny say.....see me July 1st.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:43 am

Sometimes the reward can be worth the gamble. Just ask the Bulls.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-10-03/sports/sp-52721_1_san-antonio-spurs

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:43 am

No gambling here when Danny holds all the cards.  A bad move that cost talent and draft picks sets us back 3-4 years.

Don't care about the Bulls and what they have done....this is the Celtics and here and now! Besides, it is a weak argument using the Bulls as they gave up a back up center/Perdue for a guy who was worth NOTHING!

You think you are going to give up Zeller for Cousins..............I think not!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 am

112288 - Rodman may have looked weird, but he was NOT a trouble maker nor an exceptionally dirty player. He was in fact a rebounding genius who deserves much more credit than he's been given and in no way belongs in a category with DeMarcus Cousins.

Yes, he has me on retainer as a PR agent.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next