Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

+8
k_j_88
cowens/oldschool
Matty
swish
Outside
kdp59
dboss
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins? Empty Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by dboss Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:30 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720963/the-cousins-conundrum-would-celtics-consider-trading-picks-for-star

The assumption is that Sacramento will part ways with Cousins and keep Karl.

I do not think that Cousins is the right fit for basically a motion offense. Cousins is really an old school type of low post player that needs the ball fed to him. But he is a legit scorer and rebounder and physical specimen.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins? Empty Re: Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by kdp59 Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:29 pm

salary wise I'd go for a Lee (expiring) and Sullinger along with a first and second in 2016 and a first and second in 2017

for

Cousins and McLemore (in Karls' dog house right now also).

the salary's are about 200K apart so they work cap wise.

If I were Ainge I would try to hold onto the Nets pick next year, but they will want it no doubt.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins? Empty Re: Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by dboss Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:47 pm

kdp59 wrote:salary wise I'd go for a Lee (expiring) and Sullinger along with a first and second in 2016 and a first and second in 2017

for

Cousins and McLemore (in Karls' dog house right now also).

the salary's are about 200K apart so they work cap wise.

If I were Ainge I would try to hold onto the Nets pick next year, but they will want it no doubt.

The assumption here is that the Kings want to move Cousins but I am not so sue about that and I am not so sure that it would work.

The Celtics style does not necessarily call for an elite low post rebounder and scorer.  I think we simply need an elite level defender and rebounder.  We also need a high end small forward which we do not have.  I really like that mid range game that ET has but small forwards must be able to  make shots from deep.  Crowder is tough as nails but he is also a classic layer of bricks.  So let's say we made the move to add Cousins and McLemore.  Will McLemore become our stating SG?  Is he a significant upgrade over AB?  

Would the Celtics become real contenders with this move?  Is Cousin's coachable?  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:48 am

I agree with most of what you say Dboss.

I was trying to see what type of deal might be required to get a deal for Cousins done.

No McLemore is not an upgrade over Bradley in any sense. Frankly I am not sure he's an upgrade over Hunter .

he's a piece to make the numbers work to me, because even IF the Kings were looking to mover Cousins, it will take a young player coming back along with at least two first IMO.

McLemore would be a pawn in a future deal most likely , unless his play takes a leap.

I've said before I see Karl being told ot hit the road before they move Cousins , but the drafting of Cauley-Stein and the FA signing of Koufos has them in place to do a deal if the right one comes along.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:47 am

I think Karl is far more likely to go than Cousins, but the Kings' management situation is such a mess, who knows.

The owner, Vivek Ranadivé, was successful in the tech world but has been an absolute disaster for the Kings. He hired Mike Malone as coach before hiring a GM, new GM Pete D'Alessandro didn't like that he didn't get to pick his own coach, and D'Alessandro got Malone fired when the team lost some games while Cousins was out with meningitis even though they were 9-6 before Cousins got sick and Malone is the only Kings coach who's ever had a good relationship with Cousins. They hired George Karl, who lobbied for the job saying that he wanted to work with Cousins, then Karl almost immediately clashed with Cousins and lobbied to get him traded. D'Alessandro was replaced as GM by Vlade Divac, who has undercut Karl's authority at every opportunity, including a few days ago when Cousins cursed and ranted at Karl after a game, Karl wanted to suspend Cousins for it, and Divac overruled him and said Karl didn't have the authority to suspend him. Divac followed that up by asking the players if they wanted to get rid of Karl. They'd fire Karl except that he was hired last December and has a four-year, $15 million contract.

Oh, and my favorite tidbit -- Ranadivé seriously wanted the Kings to play defense with only four players so that one player could stay back for cherry-pick layups because he did this successfully when coaching his daughter's team.

Calling this a dumpster fire is an understatement. Trying to predict what the Kings will do is impossible. Trading Cousins seems unlikely, and they'd probably ask for way too much if they did try to deal him, but maybe if Ainge throws in a fire extinguisher instead of a draft pick, they'll take it.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Gorman on Cousins: Not sure you want to do that to Brad Stevens

November 13, 2015, 9:45 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/gorman-cousins-not-sure-you-want-do-brad-stevens-0?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:33 pm

I don't see him as the elite player needed to lead a championship team right now but a couple more years on the all nba team could give him the needed credentials.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:58 pm

swish,

I disagree that he is "not good enough" yet because he is the best center in the league at the present time.

Your willingness to wait may be more to better judge his attitude, etc with the thinking that he may "mature" over the next two to three years. Such a hesitancy is very understandable, by the way.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:10 pm

wide clyde

Actually I consider him an excellent player, its just that he doesn't yet meet the standards that I use to define an ELITE player. Its just a personal rating method that I use when evaluating the past performances of a player.

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Cousins is a man child and could be major headaches for Brad to contend with.

Listen, just 1 more year ...............with Brooklyn tanking and a good shot at a top 5 let's cool our heels and wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Mebbe cousins ain't what we want from sacremento... mebbe what Danny ought to be looking for from them is a first or two... or three..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:58 am

He had another monster game last night as did RR

It is not a question about his talent. It is about his fit.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:26 am

dboss wrote:He had another monster game last night as did RR

It is not a question about his talent.  It is about his fit.

Dboss

come on dboss, we have KO and hes statistically the best defensive big in the league, we don't need him, we have KO!!! get with the program and we don't need a PF or SF going forward because we have James Young whose reach is comparable to most PF's.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:34 pm

There's some current conventional wisdom that says a "traditional" big man like Cousins doesn't fit into a pace-and-space offense, but I don't think that's true. When you have good three-point shooting, pace-and-space opens the interior and could make a guy like Cousins even more effective, and his effectiveness inside could create open shots on the perimeter. It could be a very good thing.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Cousins... he's an alluring prospect, but is it worth it? I doubt it. I don't think I'd trade for him.

Brad needs system guys, and we all know what happens to players that don't fit the system.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:05 pm

A guy who can avg 24-13 can fit into a system, its harder to fit random guys at 6 points 4 boards into a system. All the best teams have bail out iso players/stars where all you have to do is get them the ball and let them go to work, we don't have a player like that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:46 pm

cowens

Its all about having a SUPER, SUPER, SUPER player leading the way. Since Bird led the Celts to the championship in 1980-81, the champ has been led by a Hall Of Famer, or a player destined for Springfield, in 33 of 35 years.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:40 am

swish wrote:cowens

Its all about having a SUPER, SUPER, SUPER player leading the way. Since Bird led the Celts to the championship in 1980-81, the champ has been led by a Hall Of Famer, or a player destined for Springfield, in 33 of 35 years.

swish

agreed and even that super super player needs a supporting cast, look at West, Dr J, Lebron, all were the best, but still needed right supporting cast, just cause he hasn't been on winning teams doesn't mean he doesn't have talent to win or carry a team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:31 am

If Brad Stevens thinks he can handle Cousins and if Danny can get him then it would be a great move, but only under these conditions. If Brad has reservations then I would drop the idea if I were Danny (who I am not -  Danny's going to go what Danny wants to do).

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:48 am

Sac will not trade unless they get a replacement center in return who is half way good so you may have to have a 3 team trade.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:25 am

Cousins with 21 points in the 3rd quarter on Friday vs the same Brooklyn Nets who gave GSW a scare last night.

40 points on 13-27, 13 rebounds 6 offensive, 2-4 from 3, 12-13 from the line on the night total. His counterpart, Brook Lopez, went 17 on 5-15 and 10 boards.

If someone had to go, and you were the GM, would you move Cousins? I sure wouldn't unless he was melting down a lot more than just the coach.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Bob,

We are talking about Brooklyn not Golden State and Lopez cannot guard spit!

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:27 pm

In his first 5 years in the league Cousins  shot a putrid 11 for 69 (15.9% ) from 3 point range. In his first 6 games this year he has hit on 10 of 23 ( 43.5% ).   Continued success from downtown makes him an even greater offensive threat. Wonder if its just luck or a new skill that he has developed ?  We shall see.

swish

Last edited by swish on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : factual correction)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Didn't know that last stat swish, his 3 point% is more fuel that he could fit into Brads system, believe me Brad could find alot of ways to utilize a player like this.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:16 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Didn't know that last stat swish, his 3 point% is more fuel that he could fit into Brads system, believe me Brad could find alot of ways to utilize a player like this.

Ohhhh Yeahhhh.

I would give up Sully (and others, including Smart, and a ton of picks) for him. I love Sully but Cousins is Sully except right-sized for center. That would definitely fix our starting center problem.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next