Jae Crowder: One-year anniversary of trade to Boston Celtics a 'special' day

Go down

Jae Crowder: One-year anniversary of trade to Boston Celtics a 'special' day Empty Jae Crowder: One-year anniversary of trade to Boston Celtics a 'special' day

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:01 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/12/one_year_later_jae_crowder_tha.html#incart_story_package

Jae Crowder: One-year anniversary of trade to Boston Celtics a 'special' day

Jae Crowder: One-year anniversary of trade to Boston Celtics a 'special' day 19418099-mmmain
Kyle Korver, Jae Crowder
Boston Celtics' Jae Crowder (99) defends against Atlanta Hawks' Kyle Korver (26) during the second quarter of an NBA basketball game in Boston, Friday, Dec. 18, 2015. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on December 19, 2015 at 12:30 AM, updated December 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM

BOSTON -- Despite the frustration of a career outing wasted, Jae Crowder reflected Friday on what he called a "special" day: the one-year anniversary of his relocation to the Boston Celtics.

Since his time with the Dallas Mavericks, so much has changed. Overlooked back then, he has become a driving force for one of the top defenses in the league, an emotional leader in his new locker room. The trade to Boston -- which sent Rajon Rondo to Dallas -- granted Crowder the opportunity to play for a team that needed him, in a system that highlighted his versatility.

"I woke up this morning, I said a prayer thanking God," he said after scoring a career-high 24 points to go with 10 rebounds in a 109-101 loss to the Atlanta Hawks. "Thankful to be in this situation because a year ago today I was a little lost in this league. So I'm very thankful."

Before Crowder's big night, head coach Brad Stevens recalled what he knew of the forward at the time of the trade. The short answer: not much. Crowder had been playing a career-low 10.6 minutes for the Dallas Mavericks. His playing time had dwindled every year.

"I knew he shot 34 percent from the corner three," Stevens said. "I knew people had told me that they thought he could be a pretty good player. I knew he was tough when he played at Marquette. And I knew nothing else."

Stevens continued to stress that he considered Crowder "really tough" from the start. It doesn't take long to realize that about him. From the way he shoulders through a screen to the manner he addresses the media -- straight to the point -- everything he does bellows with ruggedness. He does not waste time or words. Stevens understood that about Crowder immediately.

"But," the coach said, "I didn't know that he could do all that he could do."

Two games in, Stevens started to like Crowder's contributions, hailing the forward's physicality after a loss to Orlando. A few weeks later, the coach inserted Crowder into the first unit after the front office agreed to trade starter Jeff Green. Even then, Stevens didn't understand all the new addition could do. The Celtics went 3-9 over their first 12 games with Crowder.

But on Jan. 12 -- twenty-five days after he joined the Celtics -- Crowder scored 22 points to topple the New Orleans Pelicans, and Stevens began to understand maybe this wasn't just a limited role player.

"He had the 22-point game, we won that game at home when we were really reeling, it was tough to find a win, tough to even find a chance to win," Stevens said. "You started to see, like, hey, there's a guy that can do a little bit more than stand in the corner and shoot. He can drive it a little bit. He can pass. We know he's a competitor. And being able to guard all those positions is just huge."

Crowder has done a little bit of everything for the Celtics since. He has started and come off the bench. He has defended anyone from Russell Westbrook to Zach Randolph. He has played the 2, 3 and 4. He has driven closeouts, improved his shooting, and helped to lead a playoff push. With the exception of Isaiah Thomas, Crowder might be Boston's most important player. He was rewarded with a five-year, $35-million contract over the summer.

He is also a prideful man, so it stung him that his team could not close out the Hawks.

"The loss ruined it a little bit for me," he admitted. "But at the same time, I'm just thankful for the opportunity."

The Celtics are thankful, too.

Said Stevens, "I'm really happy he was included in that trade."

bob
MY NOTE: It never hurts to have a player being grateful for being able to wear green.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down