Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston

+5
jrleftfoot
cowens/oldschool
wideclyde
prakash
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston Empty Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:49 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/08/bruno-fernando-on-his-trade-to-celtics-kevin-garnett-appreciation-a-tough-year-in-atlanta-and-playing-to-his-strengths-in-boston.html

Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston

Updated: 12:29 p.m. | Published: 12:29 p.m.

Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston 6B22I7WFPRGQHKIXAISLESWMKE
Boston Celtics' Bruno Fernando (55) fouls Sacramento Kings' Neemias Queta, left, during the first half of the NBA summer league championship basketball game Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

Bruno Fernando has a long hill to climb to make an impact with the 2021-22 Boston Celtics. He’s currently the fourth center on the team’s depth chart, behind Robert Williams and a pair of veterans in Al Horford and Enes Kanter that Brad Stevens brought back for next season.

Boston acquired Fernando with Kris Dunn in a three-team trade with the Hawks and Kings that sent veteran big man Tristan Thompson to Sacramento. The 6-foot-9 Fernando averaged 3.3 points and 3.1 rebounds per game over 89 career games in Atlanta during the past two seasons but saw his playing time diminish in Atlanta last year.

How much of a role Fernando, 22, will play with the Celtics moving forward remains to be seen but he provided a strong showing for Boston’s brass during NBA Summer League in Las Vegas earlier this month. The No. 34 overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft shot 75 percent from the field in four games in Las Vegas while averaging a team-high 4.8 free throw attempts per game. His defensive energy and presence on the glass at 6-foot-9 stood out to teammates and coaches alike, helping strengthen his case for a spot on the 15-man roster as the team explores its options heading into training camp.

“He brought great energy as the anchor of our defense, he communicates well and he was a physical presence in the paint,” Summer League coach Joe Mazzulla said.

MassLive caught up with Fernando earlier this month to discuss his transition to Boston, the challenges he faced in Atlanta last season and what led to Kevin Garnett being the player he wants to model himself after.

MassLive: How has the transition been to the Celtics so far?

Bruno Fernando: It’s been good. It’s been an easy transition. The guys are making it easier for me. I’m just trying to acclimated and accustomed to the things we do as a team, particularly I’ve just been trying to implement myself the best way I possibly can. I want to complement everyone else’s game and make sure we are successful as we figure it out.

MassLive: What part of your game are you trying to hone in and improve on this summer?

Fernando: As a player, you always want to get better in every part of your game. I’m looking forward to getting better in every aspect of my game but working on certain things for me that I know are more useful for me as a player on a team and brings value to the team. I’m obviously trying to emphasize those things as much as I can but really just trying to improve every area that I’ve can.

MassLive: Has the team told you what they want from you and the plan for you heading into next season?

Fernando: Right now, I’m just focused on one thing at a time. They respect that and they also are on the same page with me as far as that. We are taking it one day at a time.

MassLive: You talked after the trade about Kevin Garnett being your favorite player. What drew him to you growing up?

Fernando: The thing about me, I’ve always been an energetic kid. I was growing up back home and it was loud. Everybody just yells stuff, you just hear a whole bunch of noise during the whole day. For me, it was one of the things I grew up around and I’ve always been very energetic, enthusiastic and just enjoying life and everything else I get to do. That’s the same approach I take with the game of basketball. I just try to enjoy the game of basketball.

I had a tough year last year, it was a little hard for me to enjoy what I was doing but at the same time, you only get to play basketball for so long. I tried to make the most out of that picture.

I was always drawn to Kevin Garnett because of his approach to the game. He played every game like it was his last. He always approached the game like, ‘I get to do this. I don’t have to do this.’ That’s one thing that always stuck out to me, his energy, his passion, his loyalty to the game, that’s why he’s had a successful career. Why not follow that?

MassLive: The Celtics are going to retire his jersey at the Garden this season, so are you hoping to have a chance to meet him there?

Fernando: Absolutely. Looking forward to it.

MassLive: What was it like playing with some of the young talent on the Celtics Summer League roster?

Fernando: It’s been awesome. We’re really unselfish. We were trying to get the best out of each other and were trying to make sure we had a successful team on the court. We got along off the court during the few days we had together. You can tell guys are creating chemistry on and off the court already. On the court, we just tried to make each other’s jobs easier. My job is trying to make the guards’ job easier, whether it is offensively and defensively and their job is the same. We just tried to complement and tried to play the best we can.

MassLive: What was the experience like for you in Atlanta last year? The team had really good success but you didn’t get to play as much with all the veterans they brought in. How will that help you this year?

Fernando: I learned to be patient and then I learned to learn while I wait. I tried to continue working on my game, keep my composure, just be a team player and understanding that I’m not the first or last player in the NBA to go through that. Obviously, you don’t want things to go the way it did, but, for me, I was very happy with the success we had at the team. At the end of the day, I continue to work on my game and grow as a player.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Whole lotta nothin' here.  I didn't read the article before I posted it but now that I have?  "I'm working on everything in my game".  What?  No answer.  "Did the team tell you what to focus on?"  "They're respecting my wish to focus on one thing at a time".  What one thing are you working on now?  No answer. I don't know if he was just being coy or clueless or if the interviewer sucked or the interviewer was good but whomever edited this is an idiot but it was a short and worthless read.  Five minutes of my life I'll never get back.  You're welcome.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston Empty Re: Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston

Post by prakash Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:38 pm

Not waiting on Bruno Fernando. Watched most of all of Celts summer league games. Don't have to rely on interviews. Chalk him in the Taco Fall category: a project that MAY POSSIBLY yield value some day.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston Empty Re: Bruno Fernando on his trade to Celtics, Kevin Garnett appreciation, a tough year in Atlanta and playing to his strengths in Boston

Post by wideclyde Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:20 pm

This kid is a project, but he seems to move well and seems to have decent strength. There is never a guy who has a clear path to stardom when holding down a third team roster spot so let give him a chance to see what he can do.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:13 pm

He’s much better than Tacko. Tacko was so slow other shorter players would get in him and he couldn’t even move.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:57 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:He’s much better than Tacko. Tacko was so slow other shorter players would get in him and he couldn’t even move.
+1 Fernando and Tacko have very little in common. Fernando is much more athletic than Fall, can move his feet on D and his hands are way better. I don't know what, if anything, he can contribute, but, unlike TF, he's not a cigar store statue.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:19 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:He’s much better than Tacko. Tacko was so slow other shorter players would get in him and he couldn’t even move.
                      +1  Fernando and Tacko have very little in common. Fernando is much more athletic than Fall, can move his feet on D and his hands are way better. I don't know what, if anything, he can contribute, but, unlike TF, he's not  a cigar store statue.

He’s the same height or slightly taller than Dave Cowens and Maurice Lucas, he’s got 7’4” wingspan and the strength and hops of today’s modern hoop athletes. He can be developed further IMO, and we will need him with RWill’s history and Al’s age.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Bruno is as good as any name for a dirty work enforcer type….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:31 am

Well, we are fans. We grasp at straws. Makes the board a lot of fun.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:08 am

Grasp at straws? My eye test shows me this guy will compete, has good attributes for the position. Brad is no dummy, we needed a big with size at the 4-5.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:33 am

When has a 6'9" defensive-minded center ever done well for the Celtics?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 am

The still overpaid AH is a short timer on the Celtics. Enes Kanter is like a guy riding back and forth on a commuter rail line. Every day the same stops along the way.

That leaves Boston with the often unavailable Robert Williams and the rarely used project Bruno Fernando. Bruno certainly has some measurables that should at least translate into a solid rotation center. He is no stiff. That is for certain.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:08 am

dboss wrote:The still overpaid AH is a short timer on the Celtics.  Enes Kanter is like a guy riding back and forth on a commuter rail line.  Every day the same stops along the way.

That leaves Boston with the often unavailable Robert Williams and the rarely used project Bruno Fernando.  Bruno certainly has some measurables that should at least translate into a solid rotation center.  He is no stiff.  That is for certain.

Like I said we’re gonna need him

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:58 am

But as a wide receiver, what a stiff arm he could have..
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:58 pm

worcester wrote:But as a wide receiver, what a stiff arm he could have..

Very Happy

Looks like he didn't do a good job with your gutters!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:00 pm

Gutters???
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:10 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:The still overpaid AH is a short timer on the Celtics.  Enes Kanter is like a guy riding back and forth on a commuter rail line.  Every day the same stops along the way.

That leaves Boston with the often unavailable Robert Williams and the rarely used project Bruno Fernando.  Bruno certainly has some measurables that should at least translate into a solid rotation center.  He is no stiff.  That is for certain.

Like I said we’re gonna need him

That was never the point.  Right?

We also needed Mortiz Wagner, Luke Kornet and Taco Fall.  Could we use them?

Anybody can see that these are all different players.

I am not debating against, "Every garbage bag in the dumpster contains different kind of trash."  I was saying that holding hope for BF could be like dumpster diving, hoping to find valuables.

I have no hope that we will be able to use BF.  Also, I would love to be wrong here and will gladly eat all the crow.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:15 pm

Prakash, I saw some talent and drive in SL with Bruno. I too ho po e you are wrong.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:34 pm

worcester wrote:Prakash, I saw some talent and drive in SL with Bruno. I too ho po e you are wrong.

Worcest (picking up really old lingo from college days),

After his first game in SL, I had posted here that Brad may have made a genius move by finding a TT replacement at bargain basement cost.

After his next game, I posted that I didn't like how he played. That he was being too uninvolved, playing his private game within the game and not focusing on the big picture. I was still assuming that he is good and that got distracted by some individual challenge.

After that I realized that he just doesn't have it; the situation recognition, and that my initial opinion was wrong.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:07 pm

We shall see.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:13 pm

worcester wrote:Gutters???

Didn't your gutters need cleaning? Or did I get it wrong.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:54 am

prakash wrote:
worcester wrote:Prakash, I saw some talent and drive in SL with Bruno. I too ho po e you are wrong.

After his first game in SL, I had posted here that Brad may have made a genius move by finding a TT replacement at bargain basement cost.

After his next game, I posted that I didn't like how he played.  That he was being too uninvolved, playing his private game within the game and not focusing on the big picture.  I was still assuming that he is good and that got distracted by some individual challenge.

After that I realized that he just doesn't have it; the situation recognition, and that my initial opinion was wrong.

Your blind man, the guy had a 9 point 11 rebound game in 16 minutes against the Sixers, shot 75% overall from the field, was a physical presence in the paint, altered a lot of shots, had a few nice dunks/finishes in traffic, clogged the lane and ran the floor. He wasn’t perfect, but he showed he can do the dirty work.

But I guess you missed that

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:21 am

Don’t know about this one. I don’t see Bruno playing much unless things get bad fast. I see him as raw with the physicality needed, but not ready for a significant role. Hopefully he can develop into a helpful player off the bench.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:40 pm

I see Bruno ATM as a deep bench player and a good role player in practices against the starter bigs.

If, through hard work and good coaching, it makes that thing in his brain *click*, we may have something here. Until then it is just pure potential and one's opinion as to where it could end up.

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:01 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
prakash wrote:

After his next game, I posted that I didn't like how he played.  That he was being too uninvolved, playing his private game within the game and not focusing on the big picture.  I was still assuming that he is good and that got distracted by some individual challenge.

Your blind man, the guy had a 9 point 11 rebound game in 16 minutes against the Sixers, shot 75% overall from the field, was a physical presence in the paint, altered a lot of shots, had a few nice dunks/finishes in traffic, clogged the lane and ran the floor. He wasn’t perfect, but he showed he can do the dirty work.

But I guess you missed that

Dang! And I thought that I had watched all of the summer league games! I likely did miss that!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:57 pm

I see him as a bigger version of Leon Powe, a good role player is still a needed player on any team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next