Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot

3 posters

Go down

Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot Empty Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Seems like a weird fit, but the guy can get boards....

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_rumors_2016_reg.html

With their open roster spot, the Boston Celtics could be chasing one of the better rebounders of the past decade.

Evans, 35, has not played this season. Last year with the Sacramento Kings, he grabbed a monster 22.2 percent of all available rebounds, which would have placed third in the NBA if he had qualified for the leaderboard, according to Basketball-Reference.com.

Evans would be a weird fit in the Boston offense, which often puts big men in situations where they need to handle the ball, and on the roster, which already has a host of established frontcourt contributors. But Kelly Olynyk is expected to miss about three weeks and the Celtics do need help on the glass. According to NBA.com, they rank 20th in total rebound rate, including 24th on the defensive end of the court.

The Celtics opened a roster spot late last week by waiving veteran David Lee, who went on to sign with the Dallas Mavericks. Boston has also been linked to Steve Novak, who later signed with Milwaukee, and should look long and hard for anyone who could help the current team.

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens wants his organization to be "patient and smart" while scanning possibilities for the final roster spot.

"Based on all of our discussions, we're only filling our roster with people that we think can help us," Stevens said recently. "I think it's more important that we find the right fit for our roster if we're going to fill that spot. And we don't have to fill that spot."

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot Empty Re: Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Shamrock.

Thanks for posting this.

Reggie Evans can board.  In fact, he is a one-trick pony, and that is his trick, but he is very good at it.

Personally, I'd it not be him.  We need height and/or shooting.  We are currently 8th in the league in rebounding and 5th in the league in offensive rebounding.  Even though we had problems against Minny I don't see that as a season-long problem for us.

We are, on the other hand, 20th in the league in fg%, 25th in 3pt fg% and 23rd in blocking shots.  If Brad is such a big fan of metrics, maybe he and Danny should consider those.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot Empty Re: Reggie Evans could be a candidate for the final roster spot

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:47 pm

I sure hope not.

take a flyer on a D-league guy on a ten day call up and if he practices well, give him the ol' 2 year NON- guaranteed deal.

who would Evens get mintues over?

Sully, Amir, Zeller, Kelly, Jerebko, Mickey?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:Shamrock.

Thanks for posting this.

Reggie Evans can board.  In fact, he is a one-trick pony, and that is his trick, but he is very good at it.

Personally, I'd it not be him.  We need height and/or shooting.  We are currently 8th in the league in rebounding and 5th in the league in offensive rebounding.  Even though we had problems against Minny I don't see that as a season-long problem for us.

We are, on the other hand, 20th in the league in fg%, 25th in 3pt fg% and 23rd in blocking shots.  If Brad is such a big fan of metrics, maybe he and Danny should consider those.

bob

I also thought the Celtics were a decent rebounding team, but the article says they "rank 20th in total rebound rate, including 24th on the defensive end of the court." Totally agree that it would be nice to get some more offensive punch. If we could just improve a little on the offensive end, it could really make a difference - aside from the Utah loss the other night, most of our losses are by small margins.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down