Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot?

+2
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot? Empty Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot?

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 pm

Should it go to Tacko Fall?  Or should Danny sign a PF, where we are thin?  Or a gunner (e.g. 38 year old Joe Johnson is available.  Older than dirt but could always score quickly and will be a 1-year contract and cheapy cheap)?

We have Kanter, Poirier and Williams at 5 (sorry, Cow, but I can't see Williams as a 4.  He lacks the outside and face-up game).  Tacko would mean carrying 4 centers and that's assuming Theis plays all his minutes at 4.

Kemba, Wanamaker and a rookie, Edwards, at 1.  Is that enough even with Smart running the offense a lot?  If Kemba or Wanamaker are injured (or resting) then we will be counting on a rookie to play like a veteran, never a comforting thought.

We have BIG wings like 6'7" Brown, 6'8" Hayward but the downside of this is they will be slower than a smaller guard like CJ McCollum.  Do we need a 6'3"-6'5" guard with quickness?  How about a fast PG defender, now that Rozier is gone?

Which need should Danny fill?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot? Empty Re: Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot?

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Couldn’t you wait till a few preseason games to discuss this...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot? Empty Re: Who Should Get The Final Roster Spot?

Post by dboss Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 pm

It is on the things to do list. Tacko remains on an exhibition contract and as such any team willing to give him a shot can scope him up.

I would kick one of our players off their 2 way deal and put Fall in their place. I would keep the open roster spot open for now.

I do not think Kanter will be a fixture on this team. Down the road Tacko could become a serviceable player.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:21 am

OR

could it possibly come down to keeping Tacko OR Poirier?

just another possibility , at least until the pre-season.

Poirers' deal is under $1M and if Ainge can eat Yabusele's $3M deal , he certainly can eat another $1M too.

as Cowens said, we'll know more once we see them play some games against REAL NBA players (that is not summer league or international players).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 am

kdp59 wrote:OR

just another possibility , at least  until the pre-season.

Poirers' deal is under $1M and if Ainge can eat Yabusele's $3M deal , he certainly can eat another $1M too.

as Cowens said, we'll know more once we see them play some games against REAL NBA players (that is not summer league or international players).

kdp,

Poirer signed a 2 year $5.1+m contract, which looks to be fully guaranteed.
This is an interesting comment from Poirer from an article I read.

"I don't prefer Euroleague or the NBA, but I'll make my decision if two contracts are on the table," Poirier said, h/t Eurohoops.net. "I won't move to the NBA to find myself sitting on the bench."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843902-celtics-rumors-french-center-vincent-poirier-agrees-to-2-year-contract
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm

kdp59 wrote:OR

just another possibility , at least  until the pre-season.

kdp,

I don't see a chance of a snowflake in Hell that Danny would just release Poirier in favor of Tacko.  None.  Might he include him in a trade for another player?  Sure, we know that's what Trader Danny does, he moves players to get the one he really covets, but moving him just to clear a roster spot for Tacko Fall?  Nope.  Don't see that happening.  Period.

And TJ's right about minutes.  Poirier made it very clear he didn't sign with Boston to warm the bench.  Does he have to earn his minutes?  Once again, sure, but he will be given the chance to prove himself on the floor and I don't think his performance in preseason will be the defining issue.  The guy can ball, he's not a multi-year project like Tacko, and he's cheapy cheap.  If Danny moves him it will be for quality and not to free up cap or roster space.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:11 pm

VP is a quality addition to this team.  The idea that they would cut him (eat his contract) to make room  for Tacko is not a viable option for the Celtics.

VP could start for this team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:23 pm

sorry, I had seen his salary listed at vet minimum at spotrac.

now I see they have him at the $2,5M number, I guess they were using the minimum as a holding number or something for him.

anyhow Ainge signed another guy who won't help us today it seems .

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-celtics-sign-ex-190146151.html

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Gee another 6' 8" forward.

He had a 28 point game against the Westchester Knicks.

His 3 year college stats are below average for a prospect.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Again, Danny could surprise everyone and keep neither. Training camp just is not long enough as far as I am concerned. I know that those four guys overseas involved in FIBA will be happy for a slight break, but the timing from start of camp, Oct. 1 to the first preseason game is five days. That is hardly time to judge players. Four preseason games? I would like to see at least two weeks of practice before games. But, the NBA would love to shorten the season

Tacko is going to have to blow them out of the water to make the team I believe, but........who knows???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down