Opportunity to use dpe?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Monroe Buyout done Empty Re: Monroe Buyout done

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 pm

Rumors: Suns, Greg Monroe Agree To Buyout; Celtics Expected To Show Interest

NESN by Nicholas Goss on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:19PM

The Boston Celtics need to add rebounding and frontcourt depth before the Feb. 8 NBA trade deadline, and a potential solution to both problems became available Wednesday night. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported, citing league sources, that “agreed to a contract buyout with Greg Monroe.” Monroe was traded to the Suns in December as part of the deal that sent point guard Eric Bledsoe to the Milwaukee Bucks. The Suns are in a rebuild, so them buying out Monroe was not a suprise at all. Monroe now is an unrestricted free agent, and you can bet several contending teams will show interest. One of those teams figures to be the Celtics. Look for the #Celtics to have interest in Greg Monroe, a definite post presence, can score around the rim and showed in MIL and PHX he can come off the bench. Also, would love to join winning situation. — gary washburn (@GwashburnGlobe) February 1, 2018 Market will be robust for Greg Monroe–and Boston, armed with an $8.4 million DPE, will likely be an aggressive suitor. Celtics need a big, and Monroe has killed them in years past. — Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixYS) February 1, 2018 As noted in Mannix’s tweet above, the Celtics have an $8.4 million Designated Player Exception from the Gordon Hayward injury to use before the end of the season. Therefore, Boston can offer Monroe more than any other team in the league. The veteran center is averaging 10.4 points and 7.4 rebounds per game this season.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Suns agree to contract buyout with center Greg Monroe, sources say

10:37 PM ET

Adrian WojnarowskiESPN

Center Greg Monroe has agreed to a contract buyout with the Phoenix Suns, clearing the way for him to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources told ESPN.

The Boston Celtics will be one of several contending teams with an interest in signing Monroe, league sources said. Boston can use part of its $8.4 million disabled player exception gained after the Gordon Hayward injury to sign Monroe.

Editor's Picks

2018 NBA trade deadline coverage: Latest news, rumblings and reports

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 8. Stay up to date on the latest news, rumors and rumblings from our team of reporters.

Monroe, 27, was making $17.8 million in the final year of his contract. He has averaged 11.2 points and eight rebounds in 23 minutes a game with the Suns. He will be placed on waivers Thursday, and will remain there for 48 hours before becoming a free agent if unclaimed.

Phoenix agreed to the buyout after exhausting trade possibilities for Monroe, who arrived with the Suns as part of the Eric Bledsoe deal in November.

Before the trade to Phoenix, Monroe averaged a career-low 6.8 points and five rebounds in limited minutes for the Milwaukee Bucks this season.

For his career, which has included five seasons with the Detroit Pistons, Monroe has averaged 13.9 points and 8.7 rebounds.

Last edited by 112288 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 pm

THEY GET HIM...........THEY GO TO THE FINALS!

THIS COULD BE HUGE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 pm

112288 wrote:THEY GET HIM...........THEY GO TO THE FINALS!

THIS COULD BE HUGE!

He'd fill a need for sure.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
now
Celtics will definitely have interest in Greg Monroe, but key will be what's most important to him. Of logical suitors, Celts can offer most ($8.4 million DPE) and good chance at making Finals, but hearing he could be looking at greater opportunity for minutes in New Orleans.

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
now
Celtics will definitely have interest in Greg Monroe, but key will be what's most important to him. Of logical suitors, Celts can offer most ($8.4 million DPE) and good chance at making Finals, but hearing he could be looking at greater opportunity for minutes in New Orleans.

reply retweet like

bob

MINUTES VERSES GOING TO THE NBA FINALS...........HUMMMMMMM.......WHAT CHOICE WOULD YOU MAKE?

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 am

Sign him, trade a pick and a deep rotation player for Evans. Bring Hayward back slowly, compete in the finals.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 am

This is going to be a big decision for Ainge.

Monroe has literally killed the Cs for a bunch of years when in Detroit with his inside game and decent rebounding, but he has failed to play much this year on either of the teams he has been on. There has to be some reason(s) why he has failed to earn minutes.

Has he slowed down too much or is he just a victim of the offensive turn in the league to that of 'if you can't shoot and defend the 3, you just cannot play'?

With that said, we all have seen some of the "old school" big men pound the Cs all season long. Can Monroe do a better job of defending and keeping these guys off the boards better than Baynes and Theis?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 am

Monroe seems like a no brainer for sure...though NO may have his interest  as the piece said and he was born in New Orleans it appears as well.

Evans I am cool about. look at his play in recent weeks. He's cooled off considerably and now Memphis has shut him down until after the trade deadline. Is that because of his injury history or his poor play recently?

IF Danny gets Monroe, I am fine with no other moves.

BTW, any word on Morris hip?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:42 am

Morris has bruised butt. Should be ok to go in 48hrs.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:37 pm

NESportsfan12 wrote:Sign him, trade a pick and a deep rotation player for Evans. Bring Hayward back slowly, compete in the finals.

This is exactly what i was thinking.  However the Pelicans are also very interested.  The claim is that Monroe would have a bigger role on their team.  But I am not so sure about that.  I could see a lot of games where Monroe starts at center with AH at PF.  It is not like Baynes is a starting quality center.  I think Danny could convince him that he will get quality minutes and can make more money by coming to Boston. Also if the Pelicans still want to keep boogie there will not be enough CAP room to resign Monroe. There is little reason for him to choose the Pelicans over the Celtics.

With respect to Evans Yabusele and Larkin work but Boston would probably need to throw a pick in there to make Memphis bite.  The Clippers' pick looks to be the least valuable given the protections so I would not hesitate to use it.

If Boston adds Monroe and Evans they will have addressed their biggest needs.  They would really be set up to make a trip to the finals this year.  

After the year is completed Boston would have to decide if Monroe was a keeper but he is only 27 years old and should have a lot of tread left on his tires but the cost would be prohibited.  Likely he is gone and the cost of losing him in free agency would have been the DPE.  With respect to Evans, the Celtics would have options to use the MLE on him or let him walk and resign Smart.  They are unlikely to retain both.  If Evans walks you gave up Larkin, an undersized PG that is never going to command big minutes and Yabusele, a developing player that is not even as good as second rounder Semi Ojeleye.

Do it Danny
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Monroe would immediately start at center and move Horford to PF.

Defense should not suffer with those changes and offense would be more varied and much harder to defend.

If Kyrie becomes slightly more of a distributor, or Smart/Rozier get a little more time as the ball-handler, with Irving playing the off-guard, I'd start looking into booking hotel rooms in Boston during the finals time-slot, just in case.

I would hope the front office is pursuing this relentlessly.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm

For what it's worth; Just saw a report that NO is close to finalizing a deal for Mirotic. In return for Asik and a future 1st rounder.

That could certainly have some bearing on pursuit of Monroe.

Report also says if Chicago takes back a couple of expiring minimum contracts in trade, NO would still be able to sign Monroe. Ainge and Co will have to work hard on this one, if that's their target.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:55 pm

NYCelt wrote:For what it's worth; Just saw a report that NO is close to finalizing a deal for Mirotic. In return for Asik and a future 1st rounder.

Report also says if Chicago takes back a couple of expiring minimum contracts in trade, NO would still be able to sign Monroe. Ainge and Co will have to work hard on this one, if that's their target.

Also read that Monroe lived in NO and attended HS in that araea. That probably gives the Pelicans an edge.

If not Monroe what other bigs are available? Do you like O'quinn?.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:10 pm

dboss,

I think I'd pass on O'Quinn; not sure if he's really available anyway.

He's OK in reserve, but doesn't move the needle enough IMO. Think I'd rather look in the draft first, do something else with a deal or the DPE now.

I'm not sure who else might be available right now in terms of bigs.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:51 pm

dboss wrote:
NYCelt wrote:For what it's worth; Just saw a report that NO is close to finalizing a deal for Mirotic. In return for Asik and a future 1st rounder.

Also read that Monroe lived in NO and attended HS in that araea.  That probably gives the Pelicans an edge.

If not Monroe what other bigs are available?  Do you like O'quinn?.  

dboss

dboss,

Monroe is from Harvey, LA which is directly across the Mississippi from Nwalins. According to Google Maps it's 7.9 from Harvey to the French Quarter, and half that distance is just to get to the bridge over the river.

I don't know why players want to play in front of their hometowns. They can be very unforgiving if it doesn't work out and then you can't go home again.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:58 pm

NYCelt wrote:Monroe would immediately start at center and move Horford to PF.

Defense should not suffer with those changes and offense would be more varied and much harder to defend.

If Kyrie becomes slightly more of a distributor, or Smart/Rozier get a little more time as the ball-handler, with Irving playing the off-guard, I'd start looking into booking hotel rooms in Boston during the finals time-slot, just in case.

I would hope the front office is pursuing this relentlessly.

Your thoughts below

" If Kyrie becomes slightly more of a distributor, or Smart/Rozier get a little more time as the ball-handler, with Irving playing the off-guard, I'd start looking into booking hotel rooms in Boston during the finals time-slot, just in case."

And Monroe's offensive game could go a long way in shortening the points scored gap between the Celts and Warriors. (Warriors 115.6,,, Celts 103.1)
Baynes,,, Minutes per game 18.1,,, fga per game 5.2,,, efg% .463,,, rebs per game 5.2,,, pts per game 5.6
Monroe,,, Minutes per game 21.8,,, fga per game 7.5,,, efg% .601,,, rebs per game 7.4,,, pts per game 10.4

And helping to balance the Celtic attack would be the fact that of Monroe's 188 fga this year - 173 of his shots were from 10 feet in - 92.0% - while he made made 105 - for a 60.7%.

I'm with you NYCelt - It could be A very solid addition for the Celts.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:31 pm

I repeat he has simple choices................

Sign with NO and get an early tee off time sometime early May or

Play on the parquet floor in June.

Besides he can make that choice to go to NO next year as a free agent.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:46 pm

112288 wrote:I repeat he has simple choices................

Sign with NO and get an early tee off time sometime early May or

Play on the parquet floor in June.

Besides he can make that choice to go to NO next year as a free agent.

Free agency with either Boston or NO will be problematic unless he is willing to take the MLE.

If he wants a sniff at a chance to be at the big dance and make more money than any team can offer Boston is the clear choice.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Neither Celts or Pels can sign him as a FA because they are both over the CAP however if Pels give Cousins $30  million to resign they will also be limited with the MLE they could offer.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down