cowens/oldschool
kdp59
Shamrock1000
steve3344
NYCelt
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Some Celtic fans might have a tough time with their rooting decision with tonight's Charlotte (one half game behind us) vs the Nets game but for me it's easy.  Go Hornets.

Anyone disagree?  I'm curious.  Still hoping Brooklyn finishes ahead of Phoenix and the Nets losing a home game tonight helps.  We need all the ping pong balls possible for a better chance at getting a top 2 pick.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:04 pm

steve3344 wrote:Some Celtic fans might have a tough time with their rooting decision with tonight's Charlotte (one half game behind us) vs the Nets game but for me it's easy.  Go Hornets.

Anyone disagree?  I'm curious.  Still hoping Brooklyn finishes ahead of Phoenix and the Nets losing a home game tonight helps.  We need all the ping pong balls possible for a better chance at getting a top 2 pick.

Steve,

I agree.  Go Hornets!!  Bigger picture here.

The Celtics are in the enviable position of being to win every game from here out and still have a good shot at the #1 pick.

Having the third worst record (indirectly, thanks to Brooklyn) gives us a 15.6% chance at #1 and a 15.7% at #2 and a 15.6% chance at #3.  So, Brooklyn having the 3rd worst record gives us roughly equal chances of landing #1 as #3.  That's pretty frippin' good.

Having the fourth worst record gives us a 11.9% chance at #1, 12.6% chance at #2, 13.3% at #3 and then a 9.9% chance at #4.

Do not ask me how that can be, I'm just quoting what I'm reading.  Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, here's the link for you to look at.  If I'm right, then the difference between Brooklyn landing in the 3rd spot or the 4th spot is significant.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

bob

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:Some Celtic fans might have a tough time with their rooting decision with tonight's Charlotte (one half game behind us) vs the Nets game but for me it's easy.  Go Hornets.

Steve,

I agree.  Go Hornets!!  Bigger picture here.

The Celtics are in the enviable position of being to win every game from here out and still have a good shot at the #1 pick.

Having the third worst record (indirectly, thanks to Brooklyn) gives us a 15.6% chance at #1 and a 15.7% at #2 and a 15.6% chance at #3.  So, Brooklyn having the 3rd worst record gives us roughly equal chances of landing #1 as #3.  That's pretty frippin' good.

Having the fourth worst record gives us a 11.9% chance at #1, 12.6% chance at #2, 13.3% at #3 and then a 9.9% chance at #4.

Do not ask me how that can be, I'm just quoting what I'm reading.  Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, here's the link for you to look at.  If I'm right, then the difference between Brooklyn landing in the 3rd spot or the 4th spot is significant.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

bob

bob

Just watched Charlotte blow a 17 point third quarter lead (57-40), then trail 70-69, and end the third quarter with a 7-0 run to take a 76-70 lead into the fourth quarter. Roller coaster.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Hornets let an 11 point lead with 6 minutes to go get cut to 1 with 53 seconds left but won it in the end.

Nets and Suns now both 19-51.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:07 pm

steve3344 wrote:Hornets let an 11 point lead with 6 minutes to go get cut to 1 with 53 seconds left but won it in the end.  

Nets and Suns now both 19-51.  

Ugh... I hate to say this but isn't it about time for brook lopezes legs to both break?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:04 am

Didn't think Phoenix would get their 20th win before the Nets did but after beating the Lakers tonight the Suns are 20-51 and BKN is 19-51. Go Suns. Portland helped us out by beating Dallas tonight too, getting a split of their home and home and moving to 1 1/2 games ahead of the Mavs.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am

steve3344 wrote:Didn't think Phoenix would get their 20th win before the Nets did but after beating the Lakers tonight the Suns are 20-51 and BKN is 19-51.  Go Suns.  Portland helped us out by beating Dallas tonight too, getting a split of their home and home and moving to 1 1/2 games ahead of the Mavs.

steve,

Yeah, but now we also have prop the Houston Ship of Fools too. It doesn't help us if Utah wins and Mavs lose but the Rockets keep losing too.

Houston is an absolute textbook example of how individual talent won't necessarily give you a good team. It's looking like the Clips may be another. They have scads of talent too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 am

bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:Didn't think Phoenix would get their 20th win before the Nets did but after beating the Lakers tonight the Suns are 20-51 and BKN is 19-51.  Go Suns.  Portland helped us out by beating Dallas tonight too, getting a split of their home and home and moving to 1 1/2 games ahead of the Mavs.

steve,

Yeah, but now we also have prop the Houston Ship of Fools too.  It doesn't help us if Utah wins and Mavs lose but the Rockets keep losing too.

Houston is an absolute textbook example of how individual talent won't necessarily give you a good team.  It's looking like the Clips may be another.  They have scads of talent too.

bob

its the basketball gods karma on Dwight Howard, he tried to get his coach fired, guy can't take tough love or coaches doing their job.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

steve,

Yeah, but now we also have prop the Houston Ship of Fools too.  It doesn't help us if Utah wins and Mavs lose but the Rockets keep losing too.

Houston is an absolute textbook example of how individual talent won't necessarily give you a good team.  It's looking like the Clips may be another.  They have scads of talent too.

bob

its the basketball gods karma on Dwight Howard, he tried to get his coach fired, guy can't take tough love or coaches doing their job.

cow,

Let's not forget about James Har-no-d-en.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 pm

We certainly didn't need (or expect) the Nets to beat Cleveland tonight.  Love was a dismal 5 for 14, 11 points, Irving shot 6 for 22 and JR Smith 3 for 10, with the those three guys shooting a horrid 3 for 21 on threes. Lebron got 30 but was scoreless in the fourth quarter.

This is going to make it that much tougher to have the #3 slot going into the draft.  Nets and Suns now both 20-51 when I expected BKN to be trailing Phoenix by one game after tonight.

Sucks.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:37 am

Cleveland is like the Bird Celtics when they got on wrong side of 30 and couldn't play back to back anymore. Actually they can play them, they just struggle to win them. Lebron will not win this year, as the season gets longer, they are getting weaker.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:08 am

PHX has one mare game victory vs. BRK at this point. I know you can't take tanking and resting players into account but on the surface this has to look good/better for #3 pick coming our way with only 3 games left.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:48 pm

The 3rd pick as well as all of the lottery picks are subject to change. Pick 3 would be great for Boston. And I hope we are no lower than #3.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 am

Brooklyn and Phoenix both lost last night.

If Brooklyn loses to the Raptors on Wednesday, 3rd place is ours. There's a good chance Toronto will rest everyone but so is Brooklyn.

Phoenix plays the Clippers. Doc might rest everyone too.

So close, so close.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:26 pm

# 3 could be #1 if the ping pong balls fall right.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Worchester,

You are correct. 4th is 4th. But 3rd can be 1st.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:50 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Worchester,

You are correct.  4th is 4th.  But 3rd can be 1st.  

db

The 4th pick can also turn into the 1st pick.
The odds of getting the #1 pick drop from 15.6% to 11.9% for pick #3 to pick #4.
Last year the Lakers were scheduled to have pick #4, but moved up to #2.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Then the Lakers wasted their pick on ANOTHER head case point guard!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:01 pm

worcester wrote:Then the Lakers wasted their pick on ANOTHER head case point guard!

Making a mistake as a 19 year old does not mean Russell was a wasted pick or a head case.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Airing a video of your best friend talking about his infidelity and creating a toxic atmosphere in your own locker
room does mean you're a head case. Shooting .410% and averaging 3.4 assists and 2.5 turnovers game means
you're a wasted #2 draft pick. Ok for a #10 or #15, but not for a #2.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:46 pm

worcester wrote:Airing a video of your best friend talking about his infidelity and creating a toxic atmosphere in your own locker
room does mean you're a head case. Shooting .410% and averaging 3.4 assists and 2.5 turnovers game means
you're a wasted #2 draft pick. Ok for a #10 or #15, but not for a #2.

This year was about Kobe's farewell, giving the young guys a lot of playing time and hopefully keeping their draft pick.
Mission accomplished to at least two, maybe all three of them.
41% is not great, but not horrific shooting like Marcus Smart.
Point guards take way longer than big men to develop.
Porzingis shot 42% this year and he has many more shot attempts inside compared to Russell.
Mudiay, the other top point guard in the draft shot 36% this year.
Rozier shot 27%.
Tyus Jones shot 35%.
To ask a 19 year old rookie point guard to shoot close to 50% is crazy.
Also, Byron Scott's ridiculous offensive schemes did not put Russell in a position to get many assists.
I would not trade Russell for Okafor. Maybe Porzingis, but not yet.
This is now a guard oriented league. Russell has the potential to be a really good player.
Will he fulfill that potential? It's way to early to say yes or no.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Marcus is a bit of a head case too, with anger management issues. He is a woefully poor shooter, so I wouldn't compare Russell's shooting to Marcus's. Still you are right. 41% is a decent start, but his assist to turnover ratio is troublesome.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:12 pm

worcester wrote:Marcus is a bit of a head case too, with anger management issues. He is a woefully poor shooter, so I wouldn't compare Russell's shooting to Marcus's. Still you are right. 41% is a decent start, but his assist to turnover ratio is troublesome.

I agree with his assist to turnover ratio, it wasn't good.
It really doesn't concern me that much long term.
He could easily have 2 or 3 more assists per game if the Lakers had any shooters to knock down shots on a consistent basis.
The Lakers have by far the lowest FG% in the league.
Also, they average the least amount of assists in the league.
Kobe is still a 1 on 1 player and doesn't allow his pg to complete many assists.

Byron Scott did a poor job with Russell in his schemes on the court.
I am glad that Byron made Russell fight and help him accountable for his play on the court.

Russell is not a head case on the court like a Rondo, Smart or Cousins.
He is well aware of the big mistake he made.

I am expecting that Russell will play much better being under a younger and more adaptable coach like Luke Walton or Scotty Brooks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Speaking of assists, Nick Young in the last three years of time on the court with Kobe only made one assist to him. One.

All I know of Russell is the video incident, so I hope that doesn't represent who he is. I know he is an Ohio State alum. That's a big plus.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Worcester,

Not quite sure that I would credit Russell with being an Ohio State "alum" as he was probably like most 'one and dones' these days and may have gone to class just enough in the first semester to stay eligible for the second semester and then likely bailed on some?/many?/all? classes in the second semester.

I would guess that he is just about as close to I am as being an OSU alum, and I have never once stepped onto their campus.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2