Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer

+4
dboss
kdp59
wideclyde
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer Empty Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/3/7/11168094/why-the-celtics-would-be-wise-to-let-evan-turner-walk-away-this-summer

Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer

By Bobby Manning  @RealBobManning

on Mar 7, 2016, 6:26p 460

Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer Usa-today-9143389.0
Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports
The Evan Turner experience is unique to say the least. His level of confidence is absurd. His competitiveness is through the roof. His playmaking ability is one of the many pieces to the puzzle that each Celtics player represents. His quotes are unmatched. All these qualities amount to Turner being a fabric in this "Celtics Hustle" identity. But the team should not bring him back this season.

Excuse me while I speak as the head of the "Evan Turner hater" wing of Celtics followers. We were wrong.

From day one, I never understood the Turner signing. In fact, I barely noticed it. He was one of the last free agents to sign in the summer of 2014, and I vaguely remember seeing it in tiny print as I scrolled through the NBA news feed on a boat in late July.

Drafted second overall, he was underwhelming to begin his career with the 76ers and a non-factor in his short Pacers stint. So what was he going to accomplish on a Celtics team coming off of their worst season in years with no concrete future in front of them?

Here in March, 2016 we have our answer. He would become a defining face in the formation of this new-era Celtics identity to which we have become accustomed. The confidence, the intensity, the fearlessness against any opponent, the unwillingness to give up, the versatility, the risks. Everything Turner embodies as a player, the Cs have come to represent in their play every night.

Even for all his wild turnovers, poor shot selections, and not-infrequent incidents where he forces a play that simply isn't there, it is hard to imagine the team being in a position to claim a top-four seed in 2016 without the influence he has had on the Celtics' identity. Turner has, without a doubt, been instrumental in Boston's growth from a young, scrappy team into a force that opponents dread facing on any given night.

Beyond the impact his personality has instilled in the organization, his on-court role has been vital too, especially over the last few weeks as some have even thrown his name into the "Sixth Man of the Year" award conversation. A starter last season, he has made his transition to the bench seamlessly, and it has even proven to serve him better in many circumstances.

In 27 minutes per game off the pine, he has posted some of the best stats off his career. E.T. has been posting 10.0 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists per game to go with a career-high 45% field goal percentage. Those averages stand at 10.7, 5.2, and 5.1 per over the last 26 games, a 19-7 stretch for the squad that has rocketed them into the conversation with some of the East's elite. "Elite" and "East" may not fit in the same sentence very well, but the Cs have played well throughout their competitive schedule and have put themselves on pace for an astonishing 48-50 wins.

Turner deserves a slice of the credit for that, I have to admit it.

When the Cs get into a lull offensively, there's no player capable of getting everybody around him more involved than Turner. When the team has needed difficult baskets as defenses have tightened up down the stretch, he has the mentality to attack and the skill to finish around the basket. He isn't a star by any stretch of the imagination, but he has the notion that he is one such star drilled in his mind beyond any shadow of a doubt. That sentiment has rested on the head of the entire roster. Nobody believed in him as a free agent two years ago, and he has helped to establish a groundwork for a rise few teams have made from the depths in the manner his has.

A year ago I probably would've lost my head if Turner said "you've gotta respect a 15% three-point shooter" mockingly after hitting one a few weeks back. For some strange reason he has continued to attempt shots from the perimeter when he is shooting worse than anybody in basketball with at least 45 attempts. But Brad Stevens hasn't shown the slightest urge to reel him in, and now you can understand why.

The good and bad in Turner is the good and bad in the Celtics. Stevens, from an outside perspective, has fallen in love with him from the start. They spent quality time together in Africa over the offseason, Stevens stresses belief in him even through some of his most brutal stretches, and what you'd imagine a coach thinks about this team Turner actually says out loud in his wide array of incredible quotes that could fit into a book by year's end.

In many ways, Turner is a human embodiment of the Celtics as we know them now: a defiant force, a ruthless ball of energy on the court, versatile in countless roles, and willing to go back and fight again even he fails in a certain spot.

However, even with all of those positive contributions in mind, I believe Boston would be best suited to move on from him this summer when he hits free agency. This view doesn't go back to my frustrations and distaste with his game. Rather, it actually connects to none other than Marcus Smart.

The league has been put on notice about Turner's rise as the Cs have risen to prominence. Along with that factor, the cap is set to rise to somewhere around $89 million for 2016-17 thanks to TV money. In a few short months, we will be entering a free agency bonanza to a level never before seen in league history. We saw Brandon Knight ink for $70 million, Goran Dragic for $86 million, and Jimmy Butler for $95 million last offseason. With cap numbers nearly $20 million above where they were back then, imagine what Turner could command on the open market?

Turner's skill set may be niche to the Cs, and he may love it here so much that he'd take a minor pay cut to stay. But the money isn't even the greatest issue for me. It's the notion that the team has to rise from where they are right now.

E.T. is one of the many reasons the team is as competitive as they can possibly be at their talent level. The fact that he controls the ball for most of the game is also, on the other hand, one of the variables holding them back from a higher level of contention. They can do better in today's game than utilizing Turner as their primary playmaker, and one player who I think has the potential to reach that level is a teammate who has stood in Turner's shadow offensively: Marcus Smart.

Turner is currently a better distributor, ball-handler, and offensive producer than Smart. It's not even close. That's why Turner has received 220 minutes (3.5 per game) on the ball this year compared to Smart's 99 (2.3 per game). So in 3,092 minutes of play for Boston this year; Turner has accounted for 7.1% of their possession time, while Smart has received just 3.2%. Neither compares to Isaiah Thomas, who dominates the ball at 399 minutes total (6.3 minutes per game) which is 12.9% of the Celtics' touches.

Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer Screen_Shot_2016-03-07_at_6.16.33_PM.0

Smart is buried behind two ball-dominant players and for good reason on this current squad. His strengths as a player entail making off-ball plays on both ends of the floor. He grabs loose balls, plays passes in the air, rebounds, and shows a snappiness that can't be accurately quantified in the box score. The beauty of this team has been that every player knows his individual role and embraces it. Each piece of the puzzle works to its full potential, so more often than not Boston's players have been in the right place at the right time to make plays.

Thomas is Boston's best scorer, and he gets buckets on the ball. Turner is their best ball-handler. So that's where those minute allocations come from and will continue to stay if both return next season. So how will Smart be able to improve as an on the ball playmaker? With Turner in town the short answer is: he won't.

That's why the team would be wise to let Turner go this summer. Not because of the money but based on the fact that his presence has forced the team's best young asset to be under-developed offensively. Smart should be growing in the role Turner currently holds: a secondary on-the-ball guard who can create for both himself and others. He does many things on the court better than E.T., and the reason he's behind in one area is because he gets no opportunities to improve. At the moment, all Smart's offense consists of is off-ball creation for his teammates and poor shot attempts. Maybe, just maybe, he needs to be on the ball to make more happen.

For the Celtics, Smart still represents the hope that they have another budding star on their roster, and Turner stands for stagnancy. He's far enough into his career where we know what he's made of and who he is. Smart, on the other hand, is a rare defensive anchor at the guard spot, and there's still so much talent left to be developed given his youth. The team may take a small step backwards by empowering him in Turner's role next season, but in the long haul it could be a massive leap forward.

Even though he may not be as outspoken and fun in the media, on the court Smart represents some of the same tenacity and aggressiveness that Turner stands for. He has stood up to Lebron James and Kristaps Porzingis while getting right up in DeMarcus Cousins' head in a 2014 game. In many ways he is Turner, but in a 6'4", 220-pound frame.

Turner wasn't Boston's lottery selection; Smart was. So let's invest in the talent that Danny Ainge highlighted on draft night two years ago. The E.T. experience has been an important one for this team, but these playoffs should be that experiment's curtain call.

bob
MY NOTE:  I've made no secret of my love-hate relationship with Turner.  When he's on, he's a big difference-maker and has been a key cog in helping us win some games we might not have won without him, and when he's not he's a disaster with his high, loose dribble, his limited shooting range and his poor decision-making.  

He is, however, great for the price.  That will go up, one way or another, this summer.  How much will affect my opinion.

As far as him vs Smart goes I don't think Smart is anywhere near as good a floor general as Turner.  Smart isn't anywhere near as good a mid-range shooter as Turner and is in the same sinking boat as Turner from 3.  Where Smart is clearly better is in defensive intensity and ferocity.  I'm in the camp that believes points guards are born, not taught.  Either you see the floor, quickly, or you don't.  Bradley is a great example.  He knows where his teammates are going to be but he struggles to create, struggles to get the ball to them when he's in trouble even though he knows where they will be.  Doc and Brad both tried to teach him how to be a point guard but failed.  Smart is better than Bradley at seeing and creating but not close to Turner, whose court vision is excellent.  Hell, just to rub some salt into this wound, 7'0" Kelly Olynyk has better floor general and passing skills than Marcus Smart.  Shooting is eminently teachable.  Jason Kidd, Duck Chaney, even Cedric Maxwell and others became better shooters over the years.  Smart's shooting will improve too, but point guard and floor general?  Color me skeptical.

Besides, Smart has played with Bradley, so he has had chances to develop with-the-ball offensively.

If we can get another player to replace the skills Turner brings to the table for a fair price, fine, but I don't see that player as Marcus Smart.  His skill sets have limited overlap with Turner's.  I'd rather Danny focus on getting a rim protector and/or a shooting machine first.

Last edited by bobheckler on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer Empty Re: Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer

Post by wideclyde Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:52 am

I am not in favor of not bring Turner back as I think that he is much more of "glue" guy than what may have been written about him to date.

Yes, he cannot shoot from distance and his defense is not elite, but all the other things that he does are clearly worthy of being in any team's rotation-especially ours.

He creates, he shoots well, he passes fairly well as long as he is not already on the right block, his team defense is better than his individual defense, he rebounds well for a guard, he plays hard and hustles all the time, he fits well into the team's philosophy, his teammates seem to like him very much, his coaches like him, he does not whine about anything (moving from starting last year to a reserve role this season or about playing time) and, most importantly, he has showed great improvement this season in almost every aspect of his game.  I believe that he will improve again and again for at least a few more seasons.

Now, if he was being paid a max contract he would not be worth bringing back even for all of the above positive reasons I just mentioned, but at a Crowder-like contract for three years he will also be a steal.

In almost every sport there are guys who may not be the "best" at any one thing and then certainly not the "best" at everything, but there are some guys who just make a team better.  To me, Turner is one such guy.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer Empty Re: Celtics would be wise to let Evan Turner walk away this summer

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:33 pm

$8M or less a year and he's worth keeping to me.

UNLESS Danny needs thqat money to sign Durant or someone similar.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:17 pm

I would also like to see the Celtics retain Turner.  If you take him off the team we really do not have anyone that can run the office other than IT.

When DA drated Smart I thought he was going to be hier apparent to RR.  Now I still have doubts that he can be effective on the ball so Turner's skill level would be missed.

I am not concerend about how much he gets.  I would however suggest that $8 million per  year may be on the low side given the big jump in the salary cap.

If DA decides not to resign him then we will need a replacement part and I have the perfect player...Denzell Valentine...Does everything that Turner can do plus he can shoot from the outside.  And his 4 years at Mich St. makes him more NBA ready now than many of the one and done crowd.

The Celts have a lot of decisions to make and Turner is on the list along with Amir, Zeller, Sullly and Jerebko.

dboss

Last edited by dboss on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 pm

I'd like to see Turner stay. He just seems to fit with this team. As someone I used to know would often say, 'let Danny worry about salaries'....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:47 pm

I would put Turner in the second level of players I'd like to see stay.

To me, it looks like Thomas, Bradley, Smart and Crowder are worth hanging on to.  Turner would be somewhere just beyond them.  Smart could make Bradley expendable in a deal for a forward, however, which in turn would make Turner more important to keep around for his offense.

I don't buy the theory that Turner has cost Smart development opportunities on offense.  Instead, I would say he compliments Smart's defensive game.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 pm

NYCelt

I agree regarding your comments about Marcus. We see our 4 guard integrated together in a way where each one provide a complimentary player to the other. Ever since Brad finally paired Smart and Turner together the bench has been very consistent. Although I still think that Smart and Bradley could start together it would weaken the defense of the 2nd unit.

However i do not see the Celtics moving any of their 4 guards in a deal. The rotation works really good and since our overload remains in the 4 position moving a forward and/or picks for a high scoring wing or shot blocking center seems to make better sense.

Not only that Bradley is probably there best 2 way player and when both him and Smart are in the game the defensive intensity rises to a much higher level. I'm putting Turner, Smart, Bradley and IT in the keeper basket.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:30 pm

I'd love to keep all these guys................but as we all know not a one of them is NOT expendable depending on what the deal or deals could be.

I'd think everyone has a price on their head to some degree, the fact that Ainge made no moves at the trading deadline only tells me one thing............that he didn't get any offers he liked.

Add a Horford at the cost of letting perhaps Sully go and get some other midlevel star plus our high first round pick and I'd be pretty pleased.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Beat

The most likely candidate is probably ....?

A guard?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:12 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241180/Celtics-Would-Like-To-Re-Sign-Evan-Turner

Celtics Would Like To Re-Sign Evan Turner

MAR 13, 2016 12:52 PM

The Boston Celtics would like to re-sign Evan Turner in the offseason.

Turner is averaging 10 points, 4.9 rebounds, 4.5 assists, and a career-best 44.9 percent shooting in 27 minutes per game.

“As you know I’m a fan of Evan and I think he’s had a really good year,” Danny Ainge said. “I think he’s had a good two years [with the Celtics]. He won a lot of games for us. Down the stretch of games, he’s a good guy to have on your team, he’s a versatile player. He plays multiple positions.”

When asked if he’d like to re-sign Turner, Ainge said: “Yes. We’re big fans of Evan. I think Evan likes us and we like him.”

bob
MY NOTE:  This is the exact same thing Danny said about Brandon Bass last summer too.  When it comes to players, contracts and injuries I don't believe a single word that Danny says.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:55 pm

I know when the Celtics started the season, and even into early December, I was the first one in line to rid the team of Turner. His turnovers drove me nuts, his carelessness with the way he handled the ball was infuriating. Then it was like a light bulb went on in this guys head. He finally became an important part of this team. I have finally changed my opinion, and believe it may be a good move to keep him on this team.

It is obvious to me that Brad likes him, heck he took him with him on a trip to Africa this summer. I know it was all business and basketball related, but the fact remains is why would he chose him over others? I think there is Turner knows where his bread is buttered.
He has made the most of a good situation for him and the team

You are right, everyone has a price on their head and if he were to demand crazy money, he would not be resigned. I don't think this is going to happen. This is going to be a wild summer with numbers being thrown around that we can't even imagine, I think in the end Turner will be on this team in September.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down