Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond

3 posters

Go down

Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond Empty Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond

Post by Sam Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:00 am

The Heat had been riding a wave of momentum as the playoffs approached. From what I had heard, a greatly improved defense had played a large role, and Dwayne Wade was performing in his prime, perhaps just a shade below Kobe and Lebron in terms of clutch scoring and involving teammates.

Then, we all saw what happened in the first two playoff games, and I assume it has made others as cautiously optimistic like myself. Yes, they were only two home games, but the fact that that the Celtics' intensity level (especially on defense) was strong in game one and increased in game two (in the absence of the Celts' main defensive catalyst) gives reason for optimism that what we're seeing is no fluke.

For months, there has been a major debate about whether the Celtics' problem has been (1) lack of chemistry and execution causing frustration and a resulting a lack of energy (my own opinion) or (2) just plain lack of energy and effort. It now seems to be turning out that it doesn't matter which theory was more correct. The Celtics have now experienced a serious playoff taste of the good—even extraordinary— things that can happen (1) when they execute well and synergistically (especially on defense) AND (2) when they put forth major energy and effort (whichever is the cause and the effect).

It doesn't make sense to me that they would regress on either count after they've sampled those rewards. I also think Doc's focus on seven main players (with the others having largely support or mopup roles) puts special pressure on the core of seven to perform big-time without a risk of over-playing them because of the rest between games.

I hate to finger-point, but I have come to feel that Sheed's playing style and attitude may have been allowed to factor too heavily into the overall approach of the team. Of all the players on the team, I think Sheed most exemplifies the "turn it on and off" philosophy. Whether he's inherently ponderous and lazy or a frontrunner who's too ready to turn off the burners when adversity arises, the net effect is contrary to the senses of resolve and ubuntu that we had come to associate with this team.

I believe Doc has worked hard to ensure that Sheed's playoff contributions (at least to this point) have not been at all influential in setting the attitudinal tone for the team. In particular, I think that Glen Davis may have been too influenced by Sheed's "casual" approach but has more recently been freed from any such "spell" as evidenced by the fact that Glen has been a key catalyst as both a reserve and a starter. If that is true, then Glen may be the poster boy for the fact that the Celtics' execution and worth ethic are becoming increasingly independent of the Sheed imprint.

Moreover, I now realize that the basis for my earlier aversion to people's concerns for the Celtics' future was that I did not (and still do not) feel we were being exposed to the "real" Celtics at that time. I think some people thought I was unfairly rebuffing their right to make such assessments. That was never once remotely close to the truth. What I was resisting was what I believed (and still believe) was the premature nature of those assessments. Conversely, I now believe the Celtics are in a much better position to provide both a true account of themselves in these playoffs and a more representative indication of what the team's potential and needs may be in the future.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond Empty Re: Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:32 am

If we are healthy, playing well and rested, we can compete with anybody.

1. We are healthy.
2. Games 1 and 2 have been good Celtic basketball. As good as we've seen in over 40 games, ESPECIALLY the middle of game 2.
3. We had 3 days off between games (5 days off for KG).

If we win tonight, we will be 3-0 while our likely next round opponenet will be 2-1. Finishing our series early will make us tougher. We'll have time to prepare ourselves mentally (rather than being drained by the mental effort of winning 7 games like were were last year with Chicago) and to maybe even practice a day or two.

Go Celts. Bury them tonight. Watch the lights go out of their eyes and enjoy it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond Empty Re: Some Thoughts Leading up to Game Three against the Heat...and Beyond

Post by sinus007 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am

Sam,
I sincerely hope that your summary is correct. Today's game, in most part, should prove it true or false.
Also, I hope that the stars will line up tonight: BBD continues his energetic march, RA stays hot, TA continues to stifle DW, KG comes back with vengeance, RR stays smart and wise QB, Perk and PP contribute no less than in game 2.
Now, what I'm puzzled by, or rather who, are 'Quis and Nate. Are they going to snap out of their 'sleep'? I understand they don't have much time on the floor, but somehow they have to show that they're aware that it's a playoffs time.
As for Sheed, I'm still sitting on the fence: can't decide if he's a dud or Doc and he keep him as a reserve for 2nd round against Cavs?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down