kdp59
fierce
BleedGreen
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WHY DANNY DID IT Empty WHY DANNY DID IT

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:23 pm

Danny Ainge: Isaiah Thomas's hip may cause 'a little bit of delay' at season's start

CSNNE By A. Sherrod Blakely August 22, 2017 10:05 PM

BOSTON – Danny Ainge considered several factors before ultimately deciding that the Boston Celtics were better off trading away Isaiah Thomas to Cleveland for Kyrie Irving.

Among them?

That hip injury Thomas suffered in the playoffs last season which according to Ainge, might impact when the now ex-Celtic starts the season.

“There’s probably a little bit of delay for Isaiah to start this year,” Ainge said in a conference call with reporters following the trade becoming official Tuesday night.

In addition to Thomas, the Celtics also sent Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the rights to the 2018 first round pick they acquired from Brooklyn, to the Cavs in exchange for Irving.

Another major factor for the Celtics pulling the trigger on the deal was that it allowed the Celtics to add a younger, more accomplished player in Irving who is, "a 25-year old perennial all-star … one of the best offensive players in the league."

Irving averaged a career-high 25.2 points per game last season while shooting 47.3 percent from the field which was also a career high.

While most agree that Irving is the more talented player, that doesn’t diminish from what Thomas did for the Celtics.

He delivered one big shot after another time and time again, established himself as the best scorer in the East (28.9 points per game) last season.

And when faced with adversity like the death of his baby sister just hours before the start of the playoffs, Thomas fought through the emotional pain and led the Celtics all the way to the conference finals before ultimately the pain in his hip forced him to the sideline for the last three games.

During the call, Ainge said he had already spoken to both players but would not elaborate on any specifics of those conversations.

“Those are private conversations,” Ainge said. “I’m not gonna share my conversation with Isaiah. I can leave it to your imagination how difficult that conversation was for me and Isaiah. And Kyrie was very excited about coming to the Celtics.”

Ainge added, “Everybody fell in love with him; such an underdog with his (5-foot-9) size and his heart. It was challenging making this decision.”

Back to top Go down

WHY DANNY DID IT Empty Re: WHY DANNY DID IT

Post by BleedGreen Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Ainge has has to make some very Bill Belichick decisions of late and has so far been able to get away with it due to his "aww shucks" personality, boyish (still) charm and readily admitting the difficulty and emotions involved.

Danny has also signed a couple of max free agent stars, which BB almost never does, Stephon Gilmore notwithstanding AND that's something the Celtics organization NEVER does.

Yet Bill is up on him 5-1 in titles as an executive of a Boston pro sports team (while also doing a little coaching) so he gets to be colder, more monotone and unapologetic. Danny had best get around to raising banner #18 sometime soon.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:51 pm

BleedGreen wrote:Ainge has has to make some very Bill Belichick decisions of late and has so far been able to get away with it due to his "aww shucks" personality, boyish (still) charm and readily admitting the difficulty and emotions involved.

Danny has also signed a couple of max free agent stars, which BB almost never does, Stephon Gilmore notwithstanding AND that's something the Celtics organization NEVER does.

Yet Bill is up on him 5-1 in titles as an executive of a Boston pro sports team (while also doing a little coaching) so he gets to be colder, more monotone  and unapologetic. Danny had best get around to raising banner #18 sometime soon.

It's not fair to compare Danny to Belichick.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:26 am

fierce wrote:
BleedGreen wrote:Ainge has has to make some very Bill Belichick decisions of late and has so far been able to get away with it due to his "aww shucks" personality, boyish (still) charm and readily admitting the difficulty and emotions involved.

Yet Bill is up on him 5-1 in titles as an executive of a Boston pro sports team (while also doing a little coaching) so he gets to be colder, more monotone  and unapologetic. Danny had best get around to raising banner #18 sometime soon.

It's not fair to compare Danny to Belichick.

Probably not.

Just pointing out that one guy can coldly send 28 year old athletic freak impending FA all-pro linebackers to Cleveland for nothing but a 3rd rd pick in return, not even say the decision was tough or emotional, and be backed by 90% of the fans and then promptly win a Super Bowl.

Danny sends an undersized All-NBA PG impeding FA with a still healing hip injury to Cleveland and a pick that has just as good a chance of falling 6-10 as it does 1-5 (and Jae/Zizic of course) and the fans are split 50-50 on it. The experts are even split 50-50, and NOBODY says the Celtics got away without giving up much of anything (the way the Browns did for Collins) and yet the Celtics got back the best player in the deal and a 4x all-star who is younger, healthier and finals proven.

The deal could still blow up in Danny's face, but man he gets not benefits of the doubt like BB and needs to raise banner #18 with Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Smart, Brown and Tatum leading the way and ASAP
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:46 am

Football is not the same as basketball.

The salary cap rules are different.

How many championships has Belichick won without Tom Brady?

Ainge went from Toine, Pierce, Tony Battie, and Eric Williams to KG, Pierce, Ray, and Rondo to Horford, IT, Bradley, and Crowder to Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, and the present Celtics.

It's very clear Ainge knows how to rebuild a team.

How Belichick does after Tom Brady retires remains to be seen.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 am

fierce wrote:Football is not the same as basketball.

Ainge went from Toine, Pierce, Tony Battie, and Eric Williams to KG, Pierce, Ray, and Rondo to Horford, IT, Bradley, and Crowder to Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, and the present Celtics.

I was just having a little fun with the comparison between the two of them both trading stars to Cleveland and yet one getting next to nothing in return, and the fans being fine with it (despite Bill having a cold, calculating personality about it) and the other getting a huge haul in return, the best player in the deal, and fans being torn and upset by it (while Danny is in fact helped by his warmer, more emotional personality).

No need to state the obvious facts that we're all aware of and try to turn my tongue and cheek into an argument fierce. It's ok. You can relax.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:18 am

BleedGreen wrote:
fierce wrote:Football is not the same as basketball.

I was just having a little fun with the comparison between the two of them both trading stars to Cleveland and yet one getting next to nothing in return, and the fans being fine with it (despite Bill having a cold, calculating personality about it) and the other getting a huge haul in return, the best player in the deal, and fans being torn and upset by it (while Danny is in fact helped by his warmer, more emotional personality).

No need to state the obvious facts that we're all aware of and try to turn my tongue and cheek into an argument fierce. It's ok. You can relax.

So when you're wrong you say you're just having fun?

You clearly stated Belichick had 5 championships to Ainge's 1 championship.

The obvious facts need to be stated because we ended up arguing about Thomas' Bird rights.
GYSO clearly stated that the Celts owned Thomas' Bird rights.
You said Thomas needed to play 3 consecutive seasons for the Celts to own his Bird rights.
To make the story short, you were wrong.

That's why when it comes to dealing with you, I have to state the obvious facts.

I mean it was an obvious fact that the Celts owned Thomas' Bird rights and you didn't know that fact.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 am

the headline to this thread is "why Danny did it"

IMO, it was 2 main reasons.

1) he felt Irving is much better player than Thomas both now and in the future (age, hgt,etc)

2) Danny did NOT want to pay Thomas $25-30M per year next year at age 29.

I think in the end those two things pushed the needle.

I do understand those that feel adding the Nets pick to the equation made it a bad deal for us overall. I think if the Lakers/Kings pick would have been included instead, most would fell better about it.

only time will tell how that plays out.

There is a chance that the Lakers pick ends up being better than the Nets pick for instance. We could overtake the Cavs and be in the finals this coming season.

OR IT and Crowder could get a ring this season and the Cav's get the top pick in next years draft .

for now we have to wait and see and enjoy our NEW team this season. We only have 4 players left from last years top seed in the east, obviously Danny/Brad felt that team had hit it's peak.

we now have a new big three of Irving, Hayward and Horford, with young players like Smart, Jaylen and Tatum as potential future star players.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:07 am

This trade is a classic Belichick like move.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am

dboss wrote:This trade is a classic Belichick like move.

dboss

Joe Dumars was also looking like Belichick after the Pistons won in 2004.

We all know what happened to Dumars after that.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am

KDP

RIGHT ON! THOSE ARE THE 2 REASONS AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LOOK FURTHER AS TO WHY!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 pm

And there is no reason to think the Nets wont be much better this year, so the pick is likely outside of any kind of impact draft pick.

Great deal top to bottom.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 pm

I think the moves that the Nets made in the off season greatly affected the way Danny made this
decision. I think they are going to be much better than last year so the chance of picking #1 a
real improbability.

Comparing Danny to Belechick is ridiculous. Look at the size of the teams, 15 for basketball, 53 for football. Granted, having Brady for this length of time is a miracle, but, we also had Bill Russell for 11 out of 13 championships. So what did that make Red??? The whole thing is alot of genius and a ton of luck.. Let's see how much luck the Green have left in them.

I am still not with it totally. This has been a shocker to me, but then again I was late to the party for KG and I ended up loving him. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that Kyrie finds a way of winning me over
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Tom Westerholm‏Verified account
@Tom_NBA
Follow
More

Danny Ainge: “We traded Avery Bradley.”

The masses: “WHO WILL GUARD KYRIE?”

Ainge: “Hold my non-alcoholic beverage."
6:56 PM - 22 Aug 2017

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
yesterday
Danny Ainge when asked for his emotions about the Summer's roster overhaul... "The Summer's not over yet." Vintage Danny right there.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Ainge notes that a big reason they were willing to pay a steep price was bringing in a star in Kyrie more on their development timeline.
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
yesterday
#Celtics Danny Ainge just referenced Kyrie Irving's age - 25, BTW - for the sixth time on the conference call.
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Reading the tea leaves here I'm thinking that Danny is basically throwing in the towel on competing for a championship for 3-4 years.  That's how long it will take to develop Tatum and Brown, who is only one year ahead of him, and Yabby/Nader/Semi/etal to where they are either ready to blossom or of value in a trade.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm

By then Al is gone..........and per the rumor mill, Anthony Davis will be in Green????????????

Just had to say it
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Ainge notes that a big reason they were willing to pay a steep price was bringing in a star in Kyrie more on their development timeline.
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
yesterday
#Celtics Danny Ainge just referenced Kyrie Irving's age - 25, BTW - for the sixth time on the conference call.
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Reading the tea leaves here I'm thinking that Danny is basically throwing in the towel on competing for a championship for 3-4 years.  That's how long it will take to develop Tatum and Brown, who is only one year ahead of him, and Yabby/Nader/Semi/etal to where they are either ready to blossom or of value in a trade.

That makes some sense. Not sure if I agree it is wise to coronate the Warriors for that long (too many things can happen in the nba), but if we assume that is what Danny thinks, then at least it makes some sense.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 pm

kdp59 wrote:the headline to this thread is "why Danny did it"

IMO, it was 2 main reasons.

1) he felt Irving is much better player than Thomas both now and in the future (age, hgt,etc)

2) Danny did NOT want to pay Thomas $25-30M per year next year at age 29.

I think in the end those two things pushed the needle.

I do understand those that feel adding the Nets pick to the equation made it a bad deal for us overall. I think if the Lakers/Kings pick would have been included instead, most would fell better about it.

only time will tell how that plays out.

There is a chance that the Lakers pick ends up being better than the Nets pick for instance. We could overtake the Cavs and be in the finals this coming season.

OR  IT and Crowder could get a ring this season and the Cav's get the top pick in next years draft .

for now we have to wait and see and enjoy our NEW team this season. We only have 4 players left from last years top seed in the east, obviously Danny/Brad felt that team had hit it's peak.

we now have a new big three of Irving, Hayward and Horford, with young players like Smart, Jaylen and Tatum as potential future star players.

Good points kdp, that also makes sense. Not sure I agree with Danny, but if that is what he thinks, then at least it makes some sense. Regarding your first point tohugh, I really don't see how Irving is so much better. If they were both just coming into the league, then I would totally agree that avoid the 5'9" player. is the right move However, IT has shown year after year that it he is still ridiculously efficient and effective despite his size. Direct evidence should be weighted much more heavily then the general feeling that taller is better. But, although these front office guys claim to love analytics, most are not really quantitatively trained, and can sometimes try and get to clever (there's a fine line between clever and stupid). As for the second point, 29 is older than 25, but 29 is not 33. Unless IT's hip is truly damaged, he will likely remain at this level for at least 3, if not 4 more years. Hell, he might even continue to improve as his increase in experience and verteran wiliness outpaces his physical decline. Regardless, other than aquiring picks/young talent, it is difficult to try and plan 3 or 4 years down the road in the nba - too much can happen and thus it is inherently unpredictable.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I am going to miss the anticipation of watching IT go on one of his tears in the fourth quarter. This kid gave us something we were all craving, excitement and hard work. This is a bitter pill for me, I hope Irving is coming in with a clear mind. Everyone is annoiting him, but remember, Gordon Hayward is coming here to be a main part of this team and the offense. Let's not hand him the crown just yet
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:08 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Sorry Bob - but that is silly. Danny keeps mentioning Kyrie's age in saying the Celtics will be competitive LONGER with a 25 year old star vs a 29 year old one, not that they have no chance at competing with Golden State.

The Celtics may take a temporary step back while they establish chemistry and find their new identity, but 3 to 4 years? No way. They are one or two players away from being able to hang with anyone. And maybe the path to getting there is developing Tatum or Brown until they are trade ready - who knows. You get a big rebounder at the trade deadline and sign a few veterans who can score off the bench and they are in it this year.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I am going to miss the anticipation of watching IT go on one of his tears in the fourth quarter.  This kid gave us something we were all craving, excitement and hard work.  This is a bitter pill for me, I hope Irving is coming in with a clear mind. Everyone is annoiting him, but remember, Gordon Hayward is coming here to be a main part of this team and the offense.  Let's not hand him the crown just yet

I'm totally with you on this one. Unless his hip is seriously damaged, this could come back to haunt us as it will only make IT more determined to show the world what he is capable of.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm

yesterday
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
yesterday
reply retweet like

bob

2-3 years, bob.

I think the Celts will be in the Finals or champs in 2020.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm

fierce wrote:
yesterday
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
yesterday
reply retweet like

bob

2-3 years, bob.

a lot of things will have to really work out, the scariest part is you might have given Cavs a franchise cornerstone....???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:47 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
fierce wrote:
yesterday
reply retweet like

Scott Souza @Scott_Souza
yesterday
reply retweet like

bob

2-3 years, bob.

a lot of things will have to really work out, the scariest part is you might have given Cavs a franchise cornerstone....???

That's possible.
But remember, to get value you must give value.

Kyrie is a legit NBA superstar.
He's a proven winner.
Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals is proof of that.

I think everybody can agree that Kyrie is better than IT.
So the Celts got the better player.

Kyrie and Hayward is a huge upgrade over Thomas and Bradley.

Right now there is no doubt the Celts are a contender.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next