Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis

2 posters

Go down

Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis Empty Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis

Post by dboss Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 am

Avery Bradley and the Detroit Pistons are up next.

They come in with the 2nd best record in the East at 12-6.   They are 5-4 in roads games thus far.
Remember when van Gundy was coaching the Magic?  The Celtics had several playoff series against them and what stood out was the fact that they were putting up around 26 3PA per game.  They had Howard in the middle surrounded by wings.  

In many respects the Pistons today are very similar.  They have mirrored the Celtics offensive production at 103.7 PPG  vs 103.6 PPG.  They are launching 29 3PA per game and hitting on .384%.  Their defense gives up 101.8 PPG.  Their margin for error is slim.

Drummond's free throw shooting has improved nearly 20 % points to 60%.  The Pistons are happy that he can make 6-10 from the line.  That is still poor enough to foul him when he tries to score in the post.

The Pistons pretty much rely on Drummond to control the glass and he has been terrific at 15.2 per game.  He is a great offensive rebounder at almost 6 per contest.

Their leading scorer is Tobias Harris.  I could never understand why Orlando did not keep him.  He is a prototype 6' 9" wing and leads the team in scoring at 18.4 PPG.  He is shooting an eye popping .455% from deep but I took a look at his last 5 games and he is under 30% so his 3 point shooting accuracy is heading back down to the mean.  The point is that he cannot be ignored on the perimeter and he also likes to drive the ball.   Defensively he is just ok.

It will be nice to see Avery Bradley.  He should get a standing O for his body of work in Boston.  He is second on the Pistons in scoring at 16.8 PPG and .425% from deep.  The Pistons seem to really like his two way game.  

PG Reggie Jackson is now in his 8th year.  (Wow basketball years are like dog years)  he has been a pesky sort of defender averaging 15/6 with 3 rebounds.

Stanley Johnson is the other starter.  He is another 6' 7" SF with athleticism.  This is year 3 for him but he has yet to establish himself as an offensive threat.  I think he is more of a defensive player.  He is shooting poorly from everywhere and is not a particularly good rebounder.

The Pistons do not have that one guy to go to.  The Celtics can win this game if they bang Drummond  in the paint.  He cannot shoot effectively except in the paint.  The Celtics can win this game if they do what they have been doing all year.  Gang rebounding.  The Pistons rely so heavily on Drummond that they are an average rebounding team.  Boston will need to close out their perimeter shooters.  Bradley is likely to come out hyped but that may work against him if he misses a few shots.

On offense it would be nice for Boston to get off the launching pad.  Expect Horford to be a matchup nightmare when he goes outside.  Kyrie should own Jackson.  Brown has a year under his belt checking Avery in practice.

Baynes probably gets first crack at Drummind.  Tatum on Harris appears to be a good matchup.  Our bench is better than their bench.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis Empty Re: Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing

about 1 hour ago

Reggie Jackson not excited to play against former teammate Aron Baynes: "I'm definitely gonna be looking over my shoulder for screens coming. He's one of the strongest screen setters in the league. He does everything hard."
reply retweet like
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis Empty Re: Pistons@Celtics Game # 22 Pregame Analysis

Post by dboss Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jay King @ByJayKing

about 1 hour ago

Reggie Jackson not excited to play against former teammate Aron Baynes: "I'm definitely gonna be looking over my shoulder for screens coming. He's one of the strongest screen setters in the league. He does everything hard."
reply retweet like

Like!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down