mrkleen09
Phil Pressey
RosalieTCeltics
Matty
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  Empty Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:20 pm

https://nesn.com/2018/01/chris-broussard-explains-how-we-forgot-who-isaiah-thomas-was-before-celtics/

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics 

by Logan Mullen 

on Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:09 PM 

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  Isaiah-thomas10

Photo via David Richard/USA TODAY Sports Images. 

Isaiah Thomas’ tenure with the Cleveland Cavaliers has not exactly gone how either side expected it to, with the reeling Cavs struggling mightily this month upon IT’s return. 

The Cavs gave up one of the best players in the NBA in Kyrie Irving as part of the trade with the Boston Celtics that sent Thomas to Ohio, but Cleveland’s return instead has been a player who has been modest offensively and a liability on defense. 

For Fox Sports 1 NBA analyst Chris Broussard, that’s exactly what the Cavs should have expected. 

Broussard believes it was Brad Stevens’ system in Boston that made a star out of Thomas, but that’s not truly the player he is, and he went into detail on that Wednesday during an appearance on FS1’s “Undisputed.” 

Take a listen: 

https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/956205903929200640

UNDISPUTED Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  2714 @undisputed "We forgot who Isaiah Thomas was. He was Lou Williams or Jamal Crawford. In that system in Boston, credit to Brad Stevens... he became a star for a couple of years, but that's really not who he was." — @Chris_Broussard 
8:43 AM - Jan 24, 2018 24 24 
Replies 181 181 
Retweets 453 453 likes

Interesting. Thomas’ 15.9 points per game through eight games this season is far below his averages with the Celtics. But to be fair, he is coming off of a hip injury and getting acclimated to a new system, so it may take some time to truly get the scope of the Cavs’ return in the blockbuster trade.

bob
MY NOTE:  And thus the Legend of Brad Stevens grows...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  Empty Re: Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rumor-isaiah-thomas-led-cavaliers-220003252.html

Rumor: Isaiah Thomas led Cavaliers’ accusations of Kevin Love

Dan Feldman,NBC Sports 16 hours ago

Several Cavaliers reportedly accusedKevin Love of faking illness to leave Cleveland’s loss to the Thunder early Saturday and miss practice Sunday.

Who would make such an allegation?

The first guess was LeBron James. He drives the Cavs’ discourse, and he has directed ire at Love many times over the last few years.

But maybe it was actually Isaiah Thomas, a friend of Love dating back to their AAU days together.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:

A source told The News that Isaiah Thomas led the charge against Love

Whether or not this report is true, it’s not good for the Cavaliers.

If it’s true, that means the tension in Cleveland is so high, even longtime friends are going at each other. That’s obviously an undesirable culture.

If it’s false – assuming Thomas didn’t leak inaccurate information that paints him in an unflattering light himself and trusting Isola at least to cite someone positioned to know, which I do – it means someone else tied to the Cavs smeared Thomas. Again, that much finger-pointing is toxic.

bob
MY NOTE:  I attached this article to an existing thread because I felt it was related.  Who is Isaiah Thomas?  Let's remember he was traded from Phoenix because he was embroiled in a 3-guard controversy (which has resulted in all 3 guards eventually being traded).  He was happy here.  He was content here.  He loved being a Celtic and fit in here but how much is that was Gandalf Stevens leading the Fellowship in Pursuit of the Ring?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  Empty Re: Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics

Post by Matty Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Well if the cavs view him as a problem  we have a late first rounder in the upcoming draft, a rearend load of seconds to sweeten  the deal with and the haywood exception. 

Meanwhile the current reigning president of middle north America is reading THE REAL ART OF THE DEAL by Danny Ainge...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Also remember, It was IT who questioned the coaching staff and even some of his fellow players a couple of times last year when they had terrible games.

It always infuriated me that he had the audacity of putting Stevens in that position. I know it was his desire to win, his competitive spirit, but it was also how he perceived his role here on the Celtics. He wanted to be Paul Pierce, but, Paul Pierce never, in public, questioned his coaches decisions. Maybe Pierce did it in the locker room, I don't know, but not in the papers and in front of the reporters.
So, when I read that it possibly was IT who lead the charge against Love, it did not surprise me. I loved the kid, he gave us so much excitement, but he has to
realize, He is just a player, just like Love, and his place on the team is no different.

Unhappiness can bread contempt, is this where they are headed???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:42 pm

I remember Isaiah on Sacramento. I thought of him then as a form of truth, the way Shaq referred to Paul Pierce in his younger years.

He's always been the same undersized, electric offensive player. He shined with the Celtics because the team was building around his skills. Guys were watching his back on defense.

Maybe someone should write an article on Broussard saying we have forgotten who he really is, a bad sports analyst. I don't really know him. His name seems vaguely familiar.

n.b. I actually saw the game Pierce torched the Lakers and then Shaq called him the truth. Isaiah is in the wrong place at the wrong time in Cleveland. Offense wasn't their problem and LeBron is a ball hog anyway.

If Isaiah doesn't have a chronic hip situation damaging his skills, I think he will prove critics wrong as he always does.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:57 pm

I am not saying he does not have talent, he has a God given talent. One that is so electric at times it is unbelievable to watch. He gave us great joy here in Boston. It is not his heart or talent I question. If every player responded the way he did at times, what would the NBA be.

You are right, Broussard is a jerk, always has been. Always thinks he has a scoop, a story, and it is always right. And, you are right, IT is on the wrong team at the wrong time. They are on their way down, and they will take anyone involved with them. I am surprised Love didn't ask to be traded, it has to be poison there.

But, just think for a minute, was IT really the one who should have been throwing "shade" on Love or whoever else. Where was The KING?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi, Rosalie. I actually wrote my bit before reading your post. It was a coincidence we were both thinking of Paul Pierce but for different reasons.

I will need direct proof that it was Isaiah. It doesn't seem like something he'd do, imho. Love and him go way back as friends. I don't think it was ever confirmed who Lue was talking about with player agendas. Was that also Thomas or LeBron?

It probably doesn't matter. It shows that team is in disarray. It will be interesting to see how much they can flip on the switch or if it will be a brutal ending.

Cleveland seems to be the wrong place at the wrong time for everyone involved.

I think Isaiah might have made a bad friend in Mayweather. I have no proof and only an inkling, but it seems that is when Isaiah stopped being the underdog and became a diva.

I just have a hard time going after I.T. for anything because of his hip situation and especially for the tragic loss of his sister.

There could be some sort of fable generated by James and his NBA career. He won a couple titles in Miami after the Decision. I remember Dallas upsetting them after Wade and LeBron celebrated a bit too soon. He won in Cleveland, but I think Steph Curry was hurt and Kyrie must deserve some credit.

I think of Isaiah as a basketball version of Doug Flutie. I think Flutie could have had a great NFL career, possibly Hall of Fame quality, but a team would have had to be built around him, better protection for example. But the NFL in general just felt he couldn't see over tall players, things like that.

Build a team around Isaiah and I think it can work. But now there is the hip issue. He is younger than KG was when his knee fell apart. Rondo seems to have completely recovered from his major injury.

So Isaiah personally ended up in a perfect storm. His sister died. His hip went south. His durability needs to be re-established and he needs to be on a team built around him.

I think Swish nailed it right before the trade was made. He said Cleveland should have just told Kyrie he is under contract and that's that. I don't know what they were thinking. I never hear anything about Zizic. Many of us thought Crowder leveled off last year for just a bit above average quality. The draft pick only serves as insurance for LeBron leaving unless it's traded before the deadline. Kyrie didn't want to stick around for LeBron produced drama. Maybe Isaiah is protecting himself from becoming an easy scapegoat.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Counting out IT too soon is a big mistake that many have made in the past.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:05 pm

heck, I think the piece is spot on.

IT is an "instant offense" type 6th man.

need the ball in his hands and will forever be a major liability on defense.

Stevens' system made the most of It's skills, IMO.

IF IT thinks he deserves max money, I fear he is way off.

all that said, I don;t see him as some type of bad apple or team cancer.

Just a very good scorer, who should win a couple 6th man of the year awards.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Brad's a great coach and all, but to give him that much credit for IT's performance last year is dismissive of IT's ability and effort. Makes me think Broussard might not be too bright. The simplest and most likely explanation for IT's drop in numbers is that he is coming back from an injury. A consequence of that is a drop in minutes, which means less points per game. He is averaging ~ 24 pts/36 minutes, similar to his 1st two years with the Celtics and his previous years with the Suns and Sacto. Last year he averaged 30 per 36, but he was asked to carry a huge offensive load. On a team with LBJ, he is not asked to carry the same offensive burden. His hip also may not be fully healed, and he is in a new system. Again, I don't want this to seem like a knock on Brad in any way shape or form (because I do in fact think he should be president of the USA), but Kyrie's numbers are pretty much identical to last year's. His defensive numbers have improved a little, but not really that much. How come his numbers haven't jumped now that he is playing under Brad? These numbers also happen to be similar to what IT put up last year. Maybe those just happen to be the numbers a gifted guard can put up in Brad's system.

I find the questions regarding his character even sillier. The guy bled green, and his performance last year in the regular season and in the playoffs was nothing short of heroic. I presonally don't understand why everyone got so worked up about the Brinks truck comment. Based on his previous seasons with the Celtics, he was on the path for a max/near max contract. He knew it. His Agent knew it. Ainge knew it. Ainge may have decided he didn't want to pay it, but I am pretty sure the Bink's truck comment itself had very little to do with it. If it did, then Ainge is not as savvy as I though. It was just a colorful way to say he wanted to get paid based on his performance (players with PERs near the mid 20s, as IT's was when with the Celtics, tend to get near max contracts).

I think Kyrie is a great player. His handle is absolutely mesmorizing. I am delighted he is here. IT may never be the same after the hip injury (which he got playing his heart out for the C's), but I don't see the need to disparage him after everything he gave to this organization.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Matty wrote:Well if the cavs view him as a problem  we have a late first rounder in the upcoming draft, a rearend load of seconds to sweeten  the deal with and the haywood exception. 

Meanwhile the current reigning president of middle north America is reading THE REAL ART OF THE DEAL by Danny Ainge...

+1 - excellent post!

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Also remember, It was IT who questioned the coaching staff and even some of his fellow players a couple of times last year when they had terrible games.

It always infuriated me that he had the audacity of putting Stevens in that position. I  know it was his desire to win, his competitive spirit, but it was also how he perceived his role here on the Celtics. He wanted to be Paul Pierce, but, Paul Pierce never, in public, questioned his coaches decisions. Maybe Pierce did it in the locker room, I don't know, but not in the papers and in front of the reporters.
So, when I read that it possibly was IT who lead the charge against Love, it did not surprise me.  I loved the kid, he gave us so much excitement, but he has to
realize, He is just a player, just like Love, and his place on the team is no different.  

Unhappiness can bread contempt, is this where they are headed???

I'm not sure what you are referring to? Is it the comment about experimenting with rotations?? I just don't see IT as any sort of locker room cancer or disruptor.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:40 pm

That was last year, not this year. He wants to win so badly, I do not question his heart or desire. If you think back the Celts were on a small skid where they just were not playing together. He questioned the coaching staff about the play calling and substitutions. They were on their way to an away game and he and stevens hashed in out, in Brads words, in minutes.

This is my opinion, that is all. I do feel sorry for IT that he is trapped on a team that just does not play like they want to win. Naturally, losing leads to finger pointing. Not good for anyone, least of all a guy who only knows one way to play, full tilt!!

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. I loved the kid too. This has gone on too long, I am really done with this story because that is what it is, a story.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Maybe he gets traded and bought out ... Could then be a nice use of the injury exemption

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:48 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:That was last year, not this year. He wants to win so badly, I do not question his heart or desire. If you think back the Celts were on a small skid where they just were not playing together. He questioned the coaching  staff about the play calling and substitutions.  They were on their way to an away game and he and stevens hashed in out, in Brads words, in minutes.

This is my opinion, that is all. I do feel sorry for IT that he is trapped on a team that just does not play like they want to win. Naturally, losing leads to finger pointing.  Not good for anyone, least of all a guy who only knows one way to play, full tilt!!  

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. I loved the kid too. This has gone on too long, I am really done with this story because that is what it is, a story.

No need to ever apologize Rosalie - you are one of our most valued posters.....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 pm

IT was a great scorer with the Kings and The Suns before he got to Boston.

Stevens can hardly be the one who made IT a great player but Steven's did put IT in a situation where he could maximize his offensive potential while minimizing his defensive problems.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 pm

dboss wrote:IT was a great scorer with the Kings and The Suns before he got to Boston.

Stevens can hardly be the one who made IT a great player but Steven's did put IT in a situation where he could maximize his offensive potential while minimizing his defensive problems.

That's the problem with the Cavs. Lebron is uncoacheable. Lue can't put his pieces in the best position to succeed since he can't get his best player to do what he needs him to do.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Kyle

What does Lou need Lebron to do?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm

dboss wrote:Kyle

What does Lou need Lebron to do?

Lue needs to have the Cavs play a real offense and defense and Lebron has to be willing to play a part in it.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 pm

With the Celtics, Isaiah had the ball in his hands all the time.  He either took the open shot or drove to the hole.  When he drove to the hole, he either took the shot or dished to an open man. Brad supported this action. Pre Celtics, I don't think he had that much control of the offense.

With the Cavs, some other fellow has the ball in his hands all the time.  Isaiah turned into a catch and shoot player, more or less.

Could it be that simple?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Oh yes, now I remember. Thanks. Isaiah got on Brad for too much experimenting.

Someone had to say it.

Like someone should tell Marcus he still sucks at shooting and now he doesn't get so many assists, but the turnovers are up and the free throw shooting has worsened.

I think what Isaiah did was similar to Gerald Wallace. It's not that hurtful for drama. It wasn't Bogans being selfish. Some guys want to win so badly that they lose political correctness.

The Cleveland issues are out of control. Crowder walked by Love and didn't help him up. There are all these unconfirmed rumors and insinuations of player agendas or Love faking illness.

And where is the explanation for Smart's hand injury?

Yes, the Isaiah story is rather simple. He's trying to come back from a tough injury. Isaiah is a solid tweener between great sixth man, a much better Eddie House/Nate Robinson, or an MVP styled starter for offense on a team that builds around him and masks his weaknesses.

If his hip is okay, he will not be joining Sully and Shavlik Randolph in China or Pressey in Barcelona any time soon.

If I.T. wants big money, he can go to a bad team and put up hollow stats. If he takes less money, maybe a good to great team could fit him into a team philosophy. It will be an injustice if he ends up with less than Evan Turner money.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Love your enthusiasm, but I have no idea what you are talking about half the time Phil. Your flow of consciousness is mind numbing.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Love your enthusiasm, but I have no idea what you are talking about half the time Phil.  Your flow of consciousness is mind numbing.

I call it all over the place....no offense Phil

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Counting out IT too soon is a big mistake that many have made in the past.  

I agree.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Brad's a great coach and all, but to give him that much credit for IT's performance last year is dismissive of IT's ability and effort. Makes me think Broussard might not be too bright. The simplest and most likely explanation for IT's drop in numbers is that he is coming back from an injury. A consequence of that is a drop in minutes, which means less points per game. He is averaging ~ 24 pts/36 minutes, similar to his 1st two years with the Celtics and his previous years with the Suns and Sacto. Last year he averaged 30 per 36, but he was asked to carry a huge offensive load. On a team with LBJ, he is not asked to carry the same offensive burden. His hip also may not be fully healed, and he is in a new system. Again, I don't want this to seem like a knock on Brad in any way shape or form (because I do in fact think he should be president of the USA), but Kyrie's numbers are pretty much identical to last year's. His defensive numbers have improved a little, but not really that much. How come his numbers haven't jumped now that he is playing under Brad? These numbers also happen to be similar to what IT put up last year. Maybe those just happen to be the numbers a gifted guard can put up in Brad's system.

I find the questions regarding his character even sillier. The guy bled green, and his performance last year in the regular season and in the playoffs was nothing short of heroic. I presonally don't understand why everyone got so worked up about the Brinks truck comment. Based on his previous seasons with the Celtics, he was on the path for a max/near max contract. He knew it. His Agent knew it. Ainge knew it. Ainge may have decided he didn't want to pay it, but I am pretty sure the Bink's truck comment itself had very little to do with it. If it did, then Ainge is not as savvy as I though. It was just a colorful way to say he wanted to get paid based on his performance (players with PERs near the mid 20s, as IT's was when with the Celtics, tend to get near max contracts).

I think Kyrie is a great player. His handle is absolutely mesmorizing. I am delighted he is here. IT may never be the same after the hip injury (which he got playing his heart out for the C's), but I don't see the need to disparage him after everything he gave to this organization.

And I agree with this.

Right on the mark, IMO.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next