mrkleen09
Phil Pressey
RosalieTCeltics
Matty
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  - Page 2 Empty Re: Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics

Post by worcester Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:07 am

Ditto Shamrock.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics  - Page 2 Empty Re: Chris Broussard Explains How ‘We Forgot Who Isaiah Thomas Was’ Before Celtics

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 am

Another problem with IT this year may be with how they are using him. The guy is 5'9". He really can't play any other position than PG in the NBA (and it's kind of miraculous that he can even do this). PGs need to run the offense and have the ball in their hands. However, in Cleveland, Lebron frequently runs the offense. This makes sense given his remarkable basketball gifts, but it may mean that they are not utilizing IT's strengths. Perhaps Broussard has a point - if Lue took the ball out of LeBron's hands, LeBron will still be a hugely impactful player. Take the ball out of IT's hands, and his impact will plummett. Whether Lue actually has the cojones and/or the clout to take the ball out of LeBron's hands is another question entirely.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am

Phil Pressey wrote:I remember Isaiah on Sacramento. I thought of him then as a form of truth, the way Shaq referred to Paul Pierce in his younger years.

He's always been the same undersized, electric offensive player. He shined with the Celtics because the team was building around his skills. Guys were watching his back on defense.

Maybe someone should write an article on Broussard saying we have forgotten who he really is, a bad sports analyst. I don't really know him. His name seems vaguely familiar.

n.b. I actually saw the game Pierce torched the Lakers and then Shaq called him the truth. Isaiah is in the wrong place at the wrong time in Cleveland. Offense wasn't their problem and LeBron is a ball hog anyway.

If Isaiah doesn't have a chronic hip situation damaging his skills, I think he will prove critics wrong as he always does.

+1. Broussard is   a nitwit
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:Love your enthusiasm, but I have no idea what you are talking about half the time Phil.  Your flow of consciousness is mind numbing.

I call it all over the place....no offense Phil

There is the this and that thread. It's not enough. It's only considering this and that. All over the place is much more liberating, but I apologize if it's upset anyone which is never my intention. I like to write.

I'll try to make posts tighter and on topic.

I'd probably fall into depression without basketball as a diversion. Everything else available tears up my insides.

I used to read Sam at the Globe forum and here. It was like getting free Boston Globe columns. Heckler, Steve, 112288 and others provide just the right amount of info. I respect the passion of others.

Thanks, guys.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Another problem with IT this year may be with how they are using him. The guy is 5'9". He really can't play any other position than PG in the NBA (and it's kind of miraculous that he can even do this). PGs need to run the offense and have the ball in their hands. However, in Cleveland, Lebron frequently runs the offense. This makes sense given his remarkable basketball gifts, but it may mean that they are not utilizing IT's strengths. Perhaps Broussard has a point - if Lue took the ball out of LeBron's hands, LeBron will still be a hugely impactful player. Take the ball out of IT's hands, and his impact will plummett. Whether Lue actually has the cojones and/or the clout to take the ball out of LeBron's hands is another question entirely.

This is exactly how I felt watching one of the games. They are not using Isaiah the right way. He and Kyrie are new types of pg's. They don't need to bring the ball up, but in a motion offense or Cleveland's just show up and play strategy, let them touch it as much as possible. They are the most talented ball handlers or like you say, LeBron can shift to secondary ball handler. Isaiah can't and his team will still have him as a liability on defense. Isaiah only works if he is the stud on offense. They need him to be a Tiny Archibald racking up both points and assists.

LeBron didn't seem to want to share glory with Kyrie. Irving was always going to be his kid brother. LeBron is the problem. Al and Kyrie work because they are unselfish and working together. They are not thinking of where to sign or their legacies. They only desire to be key cogs on a great team. Kyrie mentioned that the Celtics' meeting was to have guys concentrate on their roles and play together. Cleveland is all about LeBron and it is backfiring on them.

Cleveland should stop King James from dominating the ball. Isaiah can only help a team if it isn't in denial of his flaws. The Cavs are built to fail. LeBron should man up and let Isaiah run things. It's their only hope. If they hold onto the Brooklyn pick, I think they are finished for this season, switch or no switch. This is apparently LeBron's last Cleveland stand. I just don't see any balloon game for them against Boston, Toronto or Golden State if things progress on the trajectory.

I think they will make the playoffs. The trajectory saying they won't is probably not sustainable for rooting against them. But they do look cooked. Old LeBron has gone full circle back to the young LeBron years never winning anything with Boston as his daddy. And now he is on fumes in regards to his prime years.

He's still great, but not as great. He can only go downhill from here.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:

There is the this and that thread. It's not enough. It's only considering this and that. All over the place is much more liberating, but I apologize if it's upset anyone which is never my intention. I like to write.

I'll try to make posts tighter and on topic.

I'd probably fall into depression without basketball as a diversion. Everything else available tears up my insides.

I used to read Sam at the Globe forum and here. It was like getting free Boston Globe columns. Heckler, Steve, 112288 and others provide just the right amount of info. I respect the passion of others.

Thanks, guys.

Phil - not upset at all and not telling you what to do man, sorry if it came across that way.

Just that if you are talking about Marcus Smart injuring his hand in a thread about IT - most of us are not going to see that comment.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm

Sam was really great, a great writer and such a thorough knowledge of the game and history, he really lived it. Dboss, bob heckler, swish, worse, steve, who doesn’t post enough, there’s a lot of talent on this board....actually too many knowledgeable writers to name.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Brad's a great coach and all, but to give him that much credit for IT's performance last year is dismissive of IT's ability and effort. Makes me think Broussard might not be too bright. The simplest and most likely explanation for IT's drop in numbers is that he is coming back from an injury. A consequence of that is a drop in minutes, which means less points per game. He is averaging ~ 24 pts/36 minutes, similar to his 1st two years with the Celtics and his previous years with the Suns and Sacto. Last year he averaged 30 per 36, but he was asked to carry a huge offensive load. On a team with LBJ, he is not asked to carry the same offensive burden. His hip also may not be fully healed, and he is in a new system. Again, I don't want this to seem like a knock on Brad in any way shape or form (because I do in fact think he should be president of the USA), but Kyrie's numbers are pretty much identical to last year's. His defensive numbers have improved a little, but not really that much. How come his numbers haven't jumped now that he is playing under Brad? These numbers also happen to be similar to what IT put up last year. Maybe those just happen to be the numbers a gifted guard can put up in Brad's system.

I find the questions regarding his character even sillier. The guy bled green, and his performance last year in the regular season and in the playoffs was nothing short of heroic. I presonally don't understand why everyone got so worked up about the Brinks truck comment. Based on his previous seasons with the Celtics, he was on the path for a max/near max contract. He knew it. His Agent knew it. Ainge knew it. Ainge may have decided he didn't want to pay it, but I am pretty sure the Bink's truck comment itself had very little to do with it. If it did, then Ainge is not as savvy as I though. It was just a colorful way to say he wanted to get paid based on his performance (players with PERs near the mid 20s, as IT's was when with the Celtics, tend to get near max contracts).

I think Kyrie is a great player. His handle is absolutely mesmorizing. I am delighted he is here. IT may never be the same after the hip injury (which he got playing his heart out for the C's), but I don't see the need to disparage him after everything he gave to this organization.

Thank you. I totally agree with you regarding IT. Broussard has no credibility and”His sources” are really air he pulled out of his ass. (See Dallas the year that Deandre changed his mind about signing there and Broussard wrote that Owner Mark Cuban was driving around making calls trying to get Deandres Cell number) I wish the local fans, media and some folks here would just embrace what Thomas gave us the last 2 years and hope for his best.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2