kdp59
dboss
wideclyde
sinus007
KyleCleric
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Celtics linked to Dwight Howard - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics linked to Dwight Howard

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

If it becomes about the God Almighty then Howard stands a chance. Without that he will be the self-inflicting wound expert he has been the past 8 years.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics linked to Dwight Howard - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics linked to Dwight Howard

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:24 pm

gyso wrote:If Howard wouldn't listen to Kobe Bryant trying to get Howard to change his ways, what makes anyone think he will listen to Brad Stevens?  Kobe said "let me teach you how to be a champion."

Howard didn't listen, instead he chose to continue playing at being a clown.

If he was here and was a disruptive force, we could always waive him, just his defense and rebounding at the vet minimum is worth a look, with our culture and if he buys in, that’s a great Bill Walton/Alonzo Mourning impact presence off the bench.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:31 pm

I am all for 2nd and 3rd chances.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:36 pm

comparing Dwight Howard to Bill Walton is an insult to Walton!! Ha ha
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:48 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:comparing Dwight Howard to Bill Walton is an insult to Walton!!   Ha ha

Why he’s way more durable? So he’s had a bumpy road lately, only could help us getting him. Imagine a focused Howard buying into his role and a young defensive force like Williams coming off the bench on our team which already had the top defense in the league last year....????

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:51 pm

I am imagining it. Now, is Danny? Is Dwight?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 pm

How about a sign an keep or release approach (Assuming the price is right) - sign and keep if he's an asset - sign and release if he isn't.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Much ado about nothing.

The Celtics are on a path to greatness with or without Howard.

I still have not heard any specifics.  Just a bunch of white noise.  So here we have a bunch of smart ass fans that do not know him yet their opinions are based on other people's opinions.

I look at it in terms of pure basketball ability and the strength of what this team is able to do in bringing diverse talent together.  Attitude is a perception.  Sometimes a percieved bad attitude is bad or not or somewhere in between.

Baynes is a free agent.  We could use another big.  My first choice would be Baynes but if the numbers do not work and we could get Howard for a year for less I am going with that.  

I am not trading Morris to keep Baynes as gyso sugessted in another post.

I am going with the best talent for the least  $$$$

In the end Danny probably has a different plan for this team.  

One thing is certain in my mind.  Baynes is a tick away from scrubville and Howard is a player in search of the perfect fit.

My underlying concern is Smart. Sign him and avoid the luxury tax for one year. Resign Baynes and we are fucked. Howard could be cheeper than keeping Baynes and that could free up cash. I am not moving Morris to keep Baynes and Smart.

Keep Smart. We cannot keep him if Baynes gets a raise.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Agree with everything you just said dboss and always enjoy reading your posts.

However Morris is headed to scrubsville in my book and Baynes is just a bangin role player type that does the dirty work, he helps us more than Morris IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 pm

I suggested that we trade Morris to dump his salary so that we can slightly overpay Smart and stay out of the luxury tax.

I did not mention Baynes in that post, nor the subsequent reply.

Just to keep the record straight as to what I said.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:59 pm

IMHO, to get Howard and keep him in line, you'd be better off keeping Baynes as starter. losing Morris from the crowd at 4 and 5 with Horford, Baynes, Theis, Howard, Williams and small-ball sometimes, Tatum, Brown and Hayward. Can Brad coach up the unfocused rookie and tarnished star? I think so. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:34 pm

gyso wrote:I suggested that we trade Morris to dump his salary so that we can slightly overpay Smart and stay out of the luxury tax.

I did not mention Baynes in that post, nor the subsequent reply.

Just to keep the record straight as to what I said.

+1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Morris’s game has so many holes, too many to name, do not want to have to see him another season....please just get rid of him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't get it - why people here and on other forum are so concerned with money. Let's dump Morris so we can pay Smart. Oh, Smart wants too much - Danny won't pay it. Etc, etc.
As far I remember, Wyc clearly stated that they will pay to get #18 and beyond. Now, when the team is on the cusp of reaching it why would they (owners and management) become frugal, all of a sudden?
As for DH, if he can behave and get, say 15 PPG + 11RPG, it's no brainer. If he continues to clown Danny will dump him. Sure it's a gamble but well worth it.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't get it - why people here and on other forum are so concerned with money. Let's dump Morris so we can pay Smart. Oh, Smart wants too much - Danny won't pay it. Etc, etc.
As far I remember, Wyc clearly stated that they will pay to get #18 and beyond. Now, when the team is on the cusp of reaching it why would they (owners and management) become frugal, all of a sudden?
As for DH, if he can behave and get, say 15 PPG + 11RPG, it's no brainer. If he continues to clown Danny will dump him. Sure it's a gamble but well worth it.

AK

sinus007

I'm with you on this one.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:20 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,

AK

We will be going over the luxury tax level, eventually. Once a team goes over it, the penalty gets worse each year. If we can stay under it one more year, it will save the owners millions.

It is not a case of being frugal all of a sudden. There is just no need to go over the luxury tax level this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:20 pm

gyso wrote:If Howard wouldn't listen to Kobe Bryant trying to get Howard to change his ways, what makes anyone think he will listen to Brad Stevens?  Kobe said "let me teach you how to be a champion."

Howard didn't listen, instead he chose to continue playing at being a clown.

Not too many people liked Kobe including Shaq! It appears it was a battle of who's team it was, Kobe or Howard. By then Kobe was showing age and Howard was a solid star.

Bottom line is ....that was then and this is now..........and if I can get a 32 year old 7'0" center who gives me double digit rebounds and 16 pts plus blocked shots a game for vet's min and a short contract .............I'll take that guy all day long.

You also have the Stevens factor...........difficult guys like him and want to play for him.........case in point..........Morris this past season.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:39 am

If the Celtic management team were to believe that Howard would be a real valuable addition to the Celtics this coming year - I would hope that potential luxury tax issues would not be a deal killer. 19 of the 30 champs and runner-ups since the Luxury tax has been in force have paid a luxury tax. Money can - and does make a difference.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:19 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:How many specifics do you need?  How many teams has this guy been on??  His biggest mistake was fighting with Van Gundy and demanding a trade. Then his whirlwind tour of the NBA began.  Attitude has alot to do with his.  He has physical talent, there is no doubt about that, it is what is between the head sets that sends up red flags to me.  I really would hate to see him come into the Celtic locker room and change the culture there. They all get along so well.  

On top of all of that, forget Baynes if Howard comes. Aron Baynes was a main figure in that locker room last season, the guys respected him and listened to him,

Let Howard bounce around to another team, he has too much baggage for my liking

If 1 dude can alter the entire culture in our locker room, I’d say we have a pretty weak locker room.
As you said, they get along so well. If anything-he starts some shit, he’s outa there.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:33 pm

dboss wrote:Much ado about nothing.

I still have not heard any specifics.  Just a bunch of white noise.  So here we have a bunch of smart ass fans that do not know him yet their opinions are based on other people's opinions.

I look at it in terms of pure basketball ability and the strength of what this team is able to do in bringing diverse talent together.  Attitude is a perception.  Sometimes a percieved bad attitude is bad or not or somewhere in between.

Baynes is a free agent.  We could use another big.  My first choice would be Baynes but if the numbers do not work and we could get Howard for a year for less I am going with that.  

One thing is certain in my mind.  Baynes is a tick away from scrubville and Howard is a player in search of the perfect fit.

My underlying concern is Smart.  Sign him and avoid the luxury tax for one year.  Resign Baynes and we are fucked.  Howard could be cheeper than keeping Baynes and that could free up cash.  I am not moving Morris to keep Baynes and Smart.

Keep Smart.  We cannot keep him if Baynes gets a raise.

Specifics? Look where he has been since he left Orlando and look how each stop ended up. Right, WE as fans don’t know him and may not have specifics but players talk off the record all the time. Credible “inside’ writers (who are very tapped in to players and team management) practically all have written the same thing. On top of that, my eyes see a player that at times acts like a little kid in the playground. It’s not white noise at all. However, with that being said, I may still take a whiff on him because we all know that the talent is there. We have the coach and a organization that will snuff out any bs and send him on his way if need be. It’s a low risk but I think he can help us.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:55 pm

IMO, any signing of Howard would mean Baynes is not back.

so if that is true then it wont be so easy to just dump him when he turns into a locker room cancer.

everyone seems to think that Baynes and Howard would both be here, but I don't think that is true at all.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:21 pm

And what if there is a mutual interest between Howard and the Warriors?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:

My underlying concern is Smart.  Sign him and avoid the luxury tax for one year.  Resign Baynes and we are fucked.  Howard could be cheeper than keeping Baynes and that could free up cash.  I am not moving Morris to keep Baynes and Smart.

Specifics? Look where he has been since he left Orlando and look how each stop ended up. Right, WE as fans don’t know him and may not have specifics but players talk off the record all the time. Credible “inside’ writers (who are very tapped in to players and team management) practically all have written the same thing. On top of that, my eyes see a player that at times acts like a little kid in the playground. It’s not white noise at all. However, with that being said, I may still take a whiff on him because we all know that the talent is there. We have the coach and a organization that will snuff out any bs and send him on his way if need be. It’s a low risk but I think he can help us.

A lot of players have played for a lot of teams.  I remember when he was in LA and kobe was ragging on him.  Yet that year Howard was injured and still put up big time numbers.  He left LA because of Kobe.  Gee when did something like that happen. (Shaq)

I remember when he was in Orlando and that idiot JVG used to call him out in the press.  Every player in the nba is likely to get pissed off when the coach uses a public forum as a coaching tool.  He played for the Magic 8 years.

His 3 years in Houston under Mchale who was fired, signaled the decline of his scoring and defense but he remained a top rebounder.  Houston still got the WCF with Howard in 2014-15.

Atlanta signed and shortly after traded him because Atlanta went into a full blown tank mode and needed to dump salary partly due to a change in ownership.

Charlotte traded for him and and have now traded him to the Nets, again a tax related move for team that is no where near being a contender so why pay the tax.

Howard is no saint but he is a somewhat goofy person.  

getting him for $20+ million is one thing but signing him for a vet minimum deal is another.

We are talking about a one year deal which makes it ever more possible to resign Smart.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:08 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktronic1 wrote:

A lot of players have played for a lot of teams.  I remember when he was in LA and kobe was ragging on him.  Yet that year Howard was injured and still put up big time numbers.  He left LA because of Kobe.  Gee when did something like that happen. (Shaq)

I remember when he was in Orlando and that idiot JVG used to call him out in the press.  Every player in the nba is likely to get pissed off when the coach uses a public forum as a coaching tool.  He played for the Magic 8 years.

His 3 years in Houston under Mchale who was fired, signaled the decline of his scoring and defense but he remained a top rebounder.  Houston still got the WCF with Howard in 2014-15.

Atlanta signed and shortly after traded him because Atlanta went into a full blown tank mode and needed to dump salary partly due to a change in ownership.  

Charlotte traded for him and and have now traded him to the Nets, again a tax related move for team that is no where near being a contender so why pay the tax.

Howard is no saint but he is a somewhat goofy person.  

getting him for $20+ million is one thing but signing him for a vet minimum deal is another.

We are talking about a one year deal which makes it ever more possible to resign Smart.

i agree with you on possibly signing him on a 1 year deal. I’m also aware that everything was not Howard’s fault everywhere he went. But a great deal of it was.
Your summation points out the teams faults but mentions nothing about what part Howard played in his own demise. Certainly it couldn’t be that one sided.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:30 pm

As I said, he is no Saint.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next