Remembering the kyrie trade

Go down

Remembering the kyrie trade Empty Remembering the kyrie trade

Post by dboss Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm

So how is everyone feeling about the trade back in August, 2017.  Here is what I thought then.  Think about what has happened to Cleveland.  All but Zizic is gone from the Cavs and there was no golden egg hatched, just a decent player in Sexton.

Celts want Kyrie
Post by dboss on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:04 am

Woke up this AM and realized that I was not dreaming.  Danny pulled off a very significant trade yesterday.

The only part to this that has me on edge is the 2018 Nets Pick.  We do not know where that pick will fall.  Danny has been playing the lotto for a few years and finally hit the jackpot because the Nets had the worse record and the odds favored us getting that pick.

Although it is unlikely that the Nets will be the worse team in the league this year,  no one knows what their record will be.  

For several years we have been waiting for Danny to pull off a bigtime deal  when the right situation came along.  Calls for moving assets to get a superstar have periodically found its' way into our discussions.

So the last Golden Egg is gone but in return the Celtics have acquired a 25 year old player that is virtually unstoppable.

Kyrie wants to be here and waived his trade kicker to make it happen.

The Celtics made the right move because IT is 3 years older, 1/2 foot shorter and expecting the Brinks truck to drop off a load of cash.  I did not think he was going to get a max deal from Boston.  Last year he had a historically amazing year but he has never been a 28 PPG scorer and is unlikely to put those numbers up repeatedly.  He spends half of his time picking himself up off the floor and it seems clear to me that he cannot sustain the hits that he takes.  I love the little guy and it is sad to see him get traded but it is still a good move by the Celtics.

Two years ago I suggested that Boston would need an upgrade at the 3.  After drafting Brown, Tatum, Semi and signing Hayward, Crowder was the most expendable playes.

I watched Zizic in summer league and quite frankly I was not impressed.  He really does not fit the pace and space style.

So there you have it.  The only thing that makes me winch was the draft pick however the Celtics still have a boatload of picks moving forward.  If we do not get the Lakers pick next year we will get the better of Philly's pick or that of Sacramento in 2019.

The Celtics are going to be a very different team this year although the style will not change.

Jaylen Brown will be a starter and Tatum will have an opportunity to play big minutes.  Semi will also have a chance to make us forget about Crowder.  Smart and Rozier will be critical leftovers from the team that finished #1.

Morris is a top perimeter defender at the 4 and has traditionally played Lebron tough.  Size and strength matches up

The Celtics will be younger faster, more athletic and more talented from this point on.  It will take a while for the team to gel but Brad Stevens has a knack for integrating new players into his system relatively quickly.  

In sum, the trade gets a thumbs up by me despite my obsession with the Golden Eggs.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Remembering the kyrie trade Empty Re: Remembering the kyrie trade

Post by dboss Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 pm

And here is a response from the effervescent fierce

Re: Celts want Kyrie
Post by fierce on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:23 am

jr and steve

It's true that this trade could be a step back.
But if it's a step back to move two steps forward then it will be worth the wait.

Even with a healthy IT and Crowder as the glue guy, the Celts have no chance against the Warriors.
Not now and not in the not so distant future.

The Celts needed an upgrade.
Kyrie is definitely an upgrade over IT.

In 2 or 3 years, guys like Jaylen and Tatum will be ready for a championship run.
We'll just have to wait a little longer.

IT and Crowder have reached their full potential.
Both players are not enough to overcome the star power of the Warriors.

For the Celtics to win another championship, both Jaylen and Tatum, or at least one of them, will have to become elite players.

This is a trade that will payoff for the Celtics in the not so long term, not short term.

I think 2020 will be the year where the Celts will be able to win another championship.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down