kdp59
mrkleen09
dboss
gyso
Shamrock1000
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anthony Davis has asked to be traded - Page 2 Empty Re: Anthony Davis has asked to be traded

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:1 min ago – via Yahoo! Sports
Regarding team preferences, Boston is not a top target for Davis, sources said. There’s a growing belief of uncertainty that Kyrie Irving will not re-sign with Boston, sources said, even though he vowed to do so at the beginning of the season.

If the Celtics were to somehow get an agreement for NO to trade Davis to them, you don't think Kyrie would be even more inclined to stay??

Yes, but Boston can't trade for Davis until July as long as Kyrie is on the roster.

Understood - I meant if NO somehow agrees to wait until summer to trade AD to the Celtics, then Kyrie would surely know this and be even more inclined to re-sign with Boston.

I agree.
But, what if NO does not want to trade Davis in early July and Kyrie has to make a decision not knowing what Davis status is?
But, if a deal is in place for Boston to acquire Davis, it would be crazy for Kyrie to leave.
I think it's kind of crazy anyway for Kyrie not to re-sign with Boston, with or without AD.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Anthony Davis has asked to be traded - Page 2 Empty Re: Anthony Davis has asked to be traded

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm

tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
Regarding team preferences, Boston is not a top target for Davis, sources said. There’s a growing belief of uncertainty that Kyrie Irving will not re-sign with Boston, sources said, even though he vowed to do so at the beginning of the season.

If the Celtics were to somehow get an agreement for NO to trade Davis to them, you don't think Kyrie would be even more inclined to stay??

Yes, but Boston can't trade for Davis until July as long as Kyrie is on the roster.

Understood - I meant if NO somehow agrees to wait until summer to trade AD to the Celtics, then Kyrie would surely know this and be even more inclined to re-sign with Boston.

I agree.
But, what if NO does not want to trade Davis in early July and Kyrie has to make a decision not knowing what Davis status is?
But, if a deal is in place for Boston to acquire Davis, it would be crazy for Kyrie to leave.
I think it's kind of crazy anyway for Kyrie not to re-sign with Boston, with or without AD.

Well, we all know Kyrie marches to the beat of his own drummer, so anything is possible....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm

tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

I agree.

Davis is the #1 target this summer.  Not because he's the best talent available, if you're in the market for a back court player then Kyrie would be that, but because Kyrie has his destiny in his own hands and controls his timing while Davis does not and Kyrie has already made a verbal commitment to Boston.  In this case, you can make Kyrie an offer but it is up to him and he's giving Boston the power/inside track by promising to re-sign.  This should daunt any aggressive pursuers.  Davis, on the other hand, has no control other than to flat-out refuse to re-sign with the new team when the time comes and make sure through his agent they know it.

Let's also remember something else:  trades can be formed and agreed to, with caveats, before they can legally take place.  The Pierce/KG-to-Brooklyn trade was announced on draft day, 6/28/13, but wasn't official until 7/12/13 because of The Bogans.  They wouldn't announce this publicly but NOP can agree to trade Davis to Boston in February, effective July, subject to fill_in_the_blanks (Rozier agrees to a sign-and-trade, the Memphis pick is or is not conveyed to Boston, etc).  Not set in concrete, of course, but the framework is there and the conditions are set and agreed to.  If the Memphis pick conveys and Boston picks the player NOP wants, and all the other conditions are met, it happens.  Or the player is not drafted by Boston and the deal's off.  Or the Memphis pick doesn't convey, as is the currently likely scenario, and that makes NOP happier because it's only Top 6 protected next year and NO protections the year after that. Or NOP says "I don't want Rozier, I want Trae Young", for example.  Then it's up to Danny to get Trae Young either on his own or as part of a 3-way.  It's a conditional deal and everybody knows what the conditions are.  In fact, if we see Danny do a deal we don't understand, like trading Rozier for Young, this might be the reason.  It's not because Danny wants Trae Young, it's because someone else does.

Another point is that Kyrie, if he is truly committed to Boston as he has stated categorically, can do what other players have done for Danny.  He can agree to wait before re-signing so that Danny maneuver to the max under the cap.  The Pelicans, however, have to take the best deal when it's on the table this off-season and are under more time pressure than Danny.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:20 pm

If the trade deadline passes and AD is still in NO, it's on.

Celtics are in a win win situation regardless of what happens.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/1/28/18201205/lakers-trade-rumors-anthony-davis-pelicans-lebron-james-tampering-statement-espn-adrian-wojnarowski

The Pelicans are crying to Woj about tampering, are not committed to moving Anthony Davis by the trade deadline

It sounds like the New Orleans Pelicans aren’t in a rush to trade Anthony Davis to the Lakers — or anywhere else — but they want to make sure that the NBA is protecting them from tampering.

By Harrison Faigen@hmfaigen  
Jan 28, 2019, 2:32pm PST

It would seem league sources are back on their bullshit, but at least this time they’re putting their name to it. After league executives anonymously cried tampering to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN about LeBron James publicly discussing how amazing it would be to play with Anthony Davis earlier this season, the New Orleans Pelicans put their name on similar complaints after Davis requested a trade on Monday morning.

The Pelicans gave a statement to Wojnarowski on Davis’ trade request later Monday afternoon, and to truly get the full experience of reading these words, we would recommend that you listen to either of these two musical options as you read:

“This past weekend, Anthony Davis’ representatives informed us that Anthony does not wish to sign a contract extension with our team and subsequently has requested a trade. Although we are disappointed in this decision, our organization’s top priority is to bring an NBA championship to our city and fans build our team for long-term success. Relative to specific talks of a trade, we will do this on our timeline. One that make sense for our team and it will not be dictated by those outside of our organization. We have also requested the League to strictly enforce the tampering rules associated with this transaction.”

This is not unexpected. Of course the Pelicans are going to be salty about their star player wanting out, and are going to try and make it seem as if Davis wanting to leave them is a more egregious act than the rosters Pelicans GM Dell Demps has intentionally put together over the last several seasons. It’s a lot easier to blame some figurative winking from James and Magic Johnson than to look in the mirror and recognize that you once voluntarily signed Omer Asik to a massive extension.

All that noted, while the Pelicans saying that they are going to make this deal on their timeline could be an attempt to leverage the Lakers for a better trade offer, it also likely signals that they are willing to wait until June or July, when the Boston Celtics and New York Knicks will be closer to being able to put their best assets on the table.

So it seems that instead of trade deadline fireworks, we may be looking at another few months of speculation, but we’ll see where things go before the Feb. 7 trade deadline. All that seems certain at this point is that unless the Lakers did something off the books to tamper with Davis — and the Pelicans can find proof — that they won’t be fined or penalized for tampering, because as LeBron James told us in a press scrum and has been proven out time and time again when stars publicly recruit each other, James hasn’t done anything wrong.

In retrospect, he may not have been directly warning us that the Pelicans would do this, but he kind of was.

“People get caught up in bunches sometimes when they wish they could control what you say, and they can’t control me. At all,” James said in December. “And I played by the rules.”

bob
MY NOTE:  This could be a whole lotta nothing, NOP trying to squeeze more out of LA.  It could also force the league to say something that puts off any trade to LA at this time.  They stepped in before with the CP3 deal.  Who knows?  Personally, I think it's nothing, but...Bottom line is NOP is defending its turf, understandably, and that might gum up the works a bit since they are now, publicly and visibly, up on their high horse.  It only has to gum it up until 2/7 @ 3:01 EST, which is only 10 days away.  Ah, man, I think the clock is slow (I don't feel tardy)...

There's one more intangible working in Danny's favor:  Does NOP really want to trade Davis to a WC team, especially a good one, so he can come to Nwalins 3 time a year, kick their ass and make them look foolish?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:58 pm

I'd trade Kyrie plus whatever else is required to make the numbers work, keeping J&J and if possible Smart. Then you've got Davis, Horford, Smart (Rosier), Tatum, Brown, etc. ...off to the races. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:I'd trade Kyrie plus whatever else is required to make the numbers work,  keeping J&J and if possible Smart. Then you've got Davis, Horford, Smart (Rosier), Tatum, Brown, etc. ...off to the races. Hawk

I would too, but Kyrie would likely squash the deal by telling the Pelicans he would not re-sign, leaving them in almost the same position but with a slightly less desirable superstar.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:13 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:I'd trade Kyrie plus whatever else is required to make the numbers work,  keeping J&J and if possible Smart. Then you've got Davis, Horford, Smart (Rosier), Tatum, Brown, etc. ...off to the races. Hawk

Hawk I do not see Davis going to any team unless their is already a star in place. He is not going to Boston with Kyrie leaving. Plus Kyrie can and will opt out this summer. Do you really think he would sign with NOLA? I seriously doubt that. Kyrie is an elite player and he is just like all the other stars. He is not going to any team that is not ready to win now.

I know a lot of Celtics fans fall in love with certain players. I have done that many times in the past. Danny like other GM's is looking to pair 2 elite players together. That is what it takes to win.

So the Celtics will have to part with some young talent that they adore but AD is young as well and so is Kyrie.

The Lakers are not going to be able to come up with an acceptable package.

The Celtics are going to pay a King's ransom but they have the war chest available.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:23 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-anthony-davis-lakers-must-173114577.html

Report: To get Anthony Davis, Lakers must start trade offer with Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Ivica Zubac, first-round pick

Anthony Davis has asked to be traded - Page 2 F852836c5045372c1d76c881cb918486

Dan Feldman,NBC Sports 2 hours 49 minutes ago

Anthony Davis hasn’t given the Pelicans a list of preferred destinations.

But he hired LeBron James‘ agent, Rich Paul. LeBron has openly recruited Davis to Los Angeles. The Lakers have reportedly preserved assets to trade for Davis.

There is good reason so much attention is focused on the Lakers.

What would it take for them to get Davis?

Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times:

Brad Turner
✔️
@BA_Turner
Hearing from sources if Lakers want Anthony Davis, who has requested a trade, LA has to start the deal with Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Ivica Zubac, No. 1 pick.

6:30 AM - Jan 28, 2019

Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times:

Tania Ganguli
✔️
@taniaganguli
In recent weeks, the Lakers have been adamant internally that they won't trade Lonzo Ball. It's unclear if that has changed now that Anthony Davis is potentially on the table.

8:48 AM - Jan 28, 2019

Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Ivica Zubac and a first-round pick for Davis doesn’t work under the salary cap. If the Lakers added Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, it would.

And sure, why not? The Lakers should rush to make that trade.

Their young players – also including Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and Moritz Wagner – are merely fine. If Los Angeles can get a superstar like Davis for that group, go for it.

I’m not convinced the Pelicans will be amenable, but the Pelicans haven’t been well-run. Who knows what they’d do?

The Lakers’ best leverage is Davis saying he’d re-sign only with them. At that point, maybe an offer of Ball, Kuzma, Zubac, Caldwell-Pope and a first-round pick looks appealing enough. But even then, other teams might risk trading for Davis – who has a season and a half left before free agency – as a super-rental/someone they must convince to re-sign.

It’s already disappointing in New Orleans that Davis wants to leave. Getting this package for him would only further the letdown.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 pm

This may be food for thought or just a fools thought but consider this. The Pelicans are owned by the Benson family. Who btw also owns the Saints. The same Saints who just lost in highly controversial fashion to the LOS ANGELES Rams!
I would not put it past an egocentric billionaire with a fan base that is pissed off at the mocking, "cheating" left coasters who, along with the NFL, robbed them of a Super Bowl. In a small market city which basically only truly cares about one franchise, would the owner really risk alienating those fans by dealing their best player to L.A. Especially when you will have virtually the whole league throwing offers at you at seasons end. I can see the Pelicans playing extra hard ball with with "tampering Magic" and Lebron's crony, oops, I mean AD's agent.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:32 pm

willjr wrote:This may be food for thought or just a fools thought but consider this. The Pelicans are owned by the Benson family. Who btw also owns the Saints. The same Saints who just lost in highly controversial fashion to the LOS ANGELES Rams!
I would not put it past an egocentric billionaire with a fan base that is pissed off at the mocking, "cheating" left coasters who, along with the NFL, robbed them of a Super Bowl. In a small market city which basically only truly cares about one franchise, would the owner really risk alienating those fans by dealing their best player to L.A. Especially when you will have virtually the whole league throwing offers at you at seasons end. I can see the Pelicans playing extra hard ball with with "tampering Magic" and Lebron's crony, oops, I mean AD's agent.

Great points will +1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Report: To get Anthony Davis, Lakers must start trade offer with Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Ivica Zubac, first-round pick

Lets say for the sake of argument this is close to reality. WHO IS LEFT?

Even Lebron, Davis and say for shits and grins you add Leonard - is that now the best team in the NBA? Maybe the best starting 5, but Lakers bench would be decimated. If AD claims winning a championship is his goal - not sure LA works for him.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Assuming Kawhi does not go there, all the young talent you would have to give up, Lebron is 34, in a couple years Davis will be in same situation he is in now at NOLA, not enough talent.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:14 pm

We are going to see all sorts of reports on what is being offered. I have to take them with a grain of salt.

If they have to part with Pope it eliminates their ability to add another star so I would say the Lakers would not be a championship team.

Looking at what the Lakers would part with does not look all that attractive to me if I was NOLA.

If they take that deal good luck to them and Boston will just move forward

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:17 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Assuming Kawhi does not go there, all the young talent you would have to give up, Lebron is 34, in a couple years Davis will be in same situation he is in now at NOLA, not enough talent.

The only way they would have a shot at Leonard is if they renounced all of their FA to free up Cap space. If Pope is part of the Davis deal there goes $12 million in cap space.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 pm

There’s nothing wrong with standing pat, we still have a lot of picks, gotta think we can find another young good big, Naz Reid...?? another year of R Will developing, 2 J’s will only get better, Morris and Rozier may not be back, but that could help us with more minutes going to Jaylen and Hayward, and GH could only be better next year too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Lets say for the sake of argument this is close to reality.  WHO IS LEFT?

Even Lebron, Davis and say for shits and grins you add Leonard - is that now the best team in the NBA?  Maybe the best starting 5, but Lakers bench would be decimated.  If AD claims winning a championship is his goal - not sure LA works for him.

A starting line up of Lebron, AD, Ingram, Hart and Rondo is very good.
No, they can’t beat GS this year.
This summer they will still have about $30m in cap space.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:40 pm

30 million after they sign Davis to a Supermax 39 million a year contract?

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:30 million after they sign Davis to a Supermax 39 million a year contract?

Sorry, that was an error or my part. I was calculating Ingram being traded too. It’s actually $20m and not $30m.
Davis can’t receive a Supermax contract if he is traded.
That’s an incentive to re-sign with the team that drafted a player.
He can be offered a new contract this summer by New Orleans but it won’t start until July of 2020.
Next season AD’s salary is only $27,093,019.
Without Lonzo, KCP, Kuzma and Zubac, the Lakers salaries with AD would be about $83-$84m. If you add in 6 roster holds for an additional $5m, this would leave LA under $90m.
The cap next season is expected to be around $110m.
I still think Ingram could be traded to open up more cap space for a player that is a better fit with Lebron.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:05 am

Will and Cow, I like your thinking.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:There’s nothing wrong with standing pat, we still have a lot of picks, gotta think we can find another young good big, Naz Reid...?? another year of R Will developing, 2 J’s will only get better, Morris and Rozier may not be back, but that could help us with more minutes going to Jaylen and Hayward, and GH could only be better next year too.

I tend to agree at this point.

losing Tatum and Smart (or Brown) along with 2 or 3 draft picks over the next two years AND not keeping Rozier and Morris due to having a Salary in the $160M or MORE area is too much.

without signing Rozier and Morris we are simply too thin on the roster and we will have little to no way to add bench players except minimum contracts.

while a starting lineup of:

Davis
Horford
Hayward
Brown
Irving

may be the best in the NBA (depending on what happens at GS of course)

our bench would be:

Baynes
Semi
Yabusele
Rob Williams

Theis and Wannamaker would have to re-sign along with only one late draft pick.

thats just 12 players so guys like Hunter or Dozier would likely fill a spot, leaving two minimum wage vets to fill out the roster.

that seems like a bare thin roster to me unless the owners are willing to pony up big tax money to Keep Rozier and Morris here.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:05 am

watch out for Denver getting into the Davis trade mix.....

while they don't have a first this year they have lots of young players under contract they can move.

a deal with Harris, Plumlee and Michael Porter along with a future first for Davis could be enticing for NO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:11 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Even Lebron, Davis and say for shits and grins you add Leonard - is that now the best team in the NBA?  Maybe the best starting 5, but Lakers bench would be decimated.  If AD claims winning a championship is his goal - not sure LA works for him.

I agree. Old LeBron and potentially worn out Leonard? That's a short window, a couple years at best.

On the other hand, we are set up to compete now and for the long haul. Not only that, but we still have a few unused arrows in our quiver.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 am

gyso wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

I agree.  Old LeBron and potentially worn out Leonard?  That's a short window, a couple years at best.  

On the other hand, we are set up to compete now and for the long haul.  Not only that, but we still have a few unused arrows in our quiver.

I think that quiver might be empty IF Danny trades for Davis.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 am

kdp59 wrote:
gyso wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

I agree.  Old LeBron and potentially worn out Leonard?  That's a short window, a couple years at best.  

On the other hand, we are set up to compete now and for the long haul.  Not only that, but we still have a few unused arrows in our quiver.

I think that quiver might be empty IF Danny trades for Davis.

That may be true, IF.  But that is an entirely different conversation.  Here, I was just taking Davis to the Lakers.

If Davis isn't moved this week, I'm sure that we will discuss the crap out of "Davis to the Celtics" for the rest of this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next