Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST

5 posters

Go down

Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST Empty Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST

Post by dboss Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:41 pm

Losing makes for bad chemistry.

The Celtics begin a 4 game road trip out West with a Tuesday game at GS.

The Celtics are in the midst of a disappointing stretch of games losing 7 out of their last 10.  The Celtics will have  B2B with the Kings on Wednesday and then the play LAL and LAC.

After 20 games earlier in the season Brad made changes to the starting lineup.    At that time Gordon Hayward was not yet ready physically or mentally to play heavy minutes.  Jaylen Brown was also struggling on offense and it seemed to effect his defense although it should be noted that Boston was 2nd in the NBA in defensive efficiency at that time.  Boston's main issue was scoring the basketball.    A lot of guys on the team were shooting the ball poorly at the start of the season.

The Celtics defense has slipped to #5 , rebounding is down to 21st, PITP is 25th and free throw attempts is next to last at 29th.    Offensive efficiency is 10th.  

Some statistics cannot be overlooked.  Sooner or later they show up at the door and disturb the underpinnings of perception.    The Celtics inability to beat quality opponents is not a perception.  It is not a myth or a muse to distract one from waking up.  It is a cold hard fact.

There is something wrong with this team.  The starting unit lacks positional integrity.

How much longer will coach Stevens trot out the same lineup before he realizes that you cannot win with that lineup on the road and definitely not against quality opponents.

Stevens loves the 3 point shot above all else.  The offense lives and dies with that reliance.  The Celtics are a poor rebounding team because our center is a below average rebounder and our starting Power Forward is also a poor rebounder.  These two are ranked 22nd in rebounding at their respective positions.

Irving #8, Tatum #8 and Brown #7 rankings at their positions is favorable when it comes to rebounding the basketball.

Morris, 47%, Rozier, 50% and Smart 63% take a disproportionate number of 3 point shots as a percentage of FGA.

Yes we need a lineup change immediately and we can argue about who but a change is sorely needed because the chemistry is not working.

So I think you should go back to what worked last season and forget about the 1st 20 games of this season and forget about the 8 game winning streak this year that was built on a house of cards.

I'm putting Brown in the starting lineup at SG and I am bringing Marcus off the bench.  Jaylen Brown is a shooting guard and Marcus Smart is not a shooting guard.  In some games I would insert Aron Baynes into the lineup because AH/MM combo is not working on the glass or defensively.  We need more size in the paint and Morris does not help compensate for AH .  In some games where we need a solid on the ball PF defender I would start Semi.  In games where size and defense is not an issue I would start Morris.  Smart would be my 6th man and play starter minutes still.  He has shot the 3 ball at career numbers but overall his productivity as starter has been good.  (Scoring average, rebounds and assists)

GH has played poorly over the past 5 games and he appears to have regressed again.  I love this kid and still believe that he will one day get all the way back but right now...like today, his minutes are not helping this team enough.  I thought he was ready to start again but how do you do that?  He is not ready.

Coach Stevens is primarily responsible for the chemistry issue on this team.  It's not Kyrie Irving's fault or Smart or Hayward or Morris or Rozier or anyone else.    It is the fault of coach Stevens.  The problem with the offense is simply a matter of 3 point dependency at the expense of scoring off the break, in the paint and at the line.  The lack of execution finds its' roots in a system that lacks checks and balances.  There is little accountability when guys  miss rotations, neglect to make the next pass, show intelligence and selectivity in the shots they take, display a lack of the bare basics of blocking out and then rebounding the basketball.  These are coaching issues and if they are not then you need to get rid of the whole fucking team because every single player is guilty to some degree of not  playing the right way, including the so-called veterans.

So it is time for a change to the lineup to bring a better positional balance to the team and is it time for coach Stevens to stop frowning while his team is clowning on the court.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST Empty Re: Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST

Post by tardust Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Good post Dboss.  I agree with most of it.  Especially the lineup changes.  

This road trip could go a long way to our team this year.  They play right and are successful on this trip could change a lot of things.  I know in the past people like Bird have said that long road trips sometimes are good as the team is more together for a period of time.   Lets hope this is the case.  I still have know doubt if Brad does the right things and the players can somehow figure our their role we could still do something in the East.

The definition of a idiot is someone that continues to do the same thing and expect different results.

Its funny how most on this board had the Celtics playing these Warriors in the finals and pretty much the favorites. I don't like making these type predictions for obvious reasons. Of course everyone was expecting Kyrie and Gordon to make a difference and that hasn't been the case.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST Empty Re: Next Up - Celtics @ GSW, Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM EST

Post by dboss Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:46 pm

I know that this team is not happy losing. No team is. They do not have time for practice. All of their bad habits are baked in.

It is hard to break bad habits without some sort of pain/pleasure associated with it. Bad chemistry is the result bad habits. You have to address the things the team needs to improve on. Each and every play demands attention.

I do not think Stevens will make a lineup change.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:26 am

looks like a whopper of a mini road trip to me...will we win a game?

lowered expectations used to be a joke on the SNL...maybe us Celtics fans should just embrace it now.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:43 am

Three things,

1) Tardust, I love your expanded definition of insanity to include idiot!

2) Not to adjust the rear view mirror but Detroit is only 5 games in back of us in the loss column with 20 games left. May need to readjust finishing 5th place.

3) I, too, would be shocked if Brad makes a line up change. Looks like he's going down with the sinking ship. Admirable? Does he know something we don't via the secret analytics book?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 am

His starting line up and rotations have been terrible, idiotic the way he uses his pieces....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:23 am

kdp59 wrote:looks like a whopper of a mini road trip to me...will we win a game?

lowered expectations used to be a joke on the SNL...maybe us Celtics fans should just embrace it  now.

kdp59

There is the temptation to see an 0-4 record coming. That would have been unthinkable earlier this season.

I would be happy with a 2-2 record even though it does not move the chains. As a Celtics fan I am holding on to the edge of the cliff with my fingernails.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 am

dboss

do you think we can beat the Kings and Lakers on the road?

you my friend are a loyal fan for sure....LOL
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm

kdp59 wrote:dboss

do you think we can beat the Kings and Lakers on the road?

you my friend are a loyal fan for sure....LOL

Yes we can beat them as well as the Clippers and the Warriors.

Attention to detail at the defensive end of the court would need to happen.  (decisions to rotate or stay with your man, stay in front of your man, do not get caught napping, do not get caught sagging, do not get caught ball watching, control your defensive glass at a minimum, transition from offense to defense)

Hit your season average of 3 point shots.  Get fast break points.  Get to the rim and get to the line.

For the coach... impact the flow of the game with judicious use of timeouts.  Ride the guys that are playing well.  Show some intolerance when anyone is not doing their job (anyone)   Alter you rotation minutes better.  Turn off the kitchen timer for when and how long a guy is in the game.  make ingame adjustments quickly.  Do not let your team get buried.

Kdp59  On the road you have to play great defense to win.  It will give you more wiggle room at the offensive end.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down