dboss
KyleCleric
NYCelt
k_j_88
wideclyde
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

All medium sized players? - Page 2 Empty Re: All medium sized players?

Post by gyso Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:44 pm

mikeod wrote:I hope Morris is resigned. I, too, was impressed by his play last year. Again, I think a lot of players on the team were not happy with KI’s need to have the ball in his hands so much of the time, resulting in them seizing any opportunity to shoot. If what we are reading about KI and Stevens disagreeing about the scheme is at all true, it explains a lot of the locker turmoil.

Re: players all about the same height. Doesn’t that fit with positionless basketball? Isn’t that a hallmark of Steven’s teams? IDK. Truthfully, I’m also a little bewildered about what’s been going on. Baynes, to me was a prototypical Celtic. Not flashy, just a workmanlike effort every game. There was a noticeable drop off in wins when he was out. Was it him, or just the loss of size/bulk in the front court?

Mike,

My guess is that Baynes was traded in order to maximum salary cap space. I think Morris is not going to be resigned for the same reason.

With us losing Kyrie, Horford, Baynes, Morris and possibly Rozier (please, please!!) from our team, we will need to get as much free cap space available as possible.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 pm

If the Celts don't get a center in free agency - Question? - could they target the Pacers in a trade for Sabonis (one of their 2 centers (Turner is the other) - value for value would make it a costly deal - but at least leave the free agency money available to fill the need for a power forward or scoring point guard.-

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:00 am

dboss wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
mikeod wrote:Tweener. Where have I heard that before? Oh. Yes, that was the rap on the kid from San Diego State. Kid named Leonard. Now, not saying any of the picks will or have the potential to turn out so good,  but sometimes you just don’t know how a young kid will mature and grow. Just like some of the sure things, flame out in the pros. Maybe they all become pieces in a trade set up before the draft for a FA. Danny apparently has something in the works, or already finalized.

Mike,

And I've always had a blind spot when it comes to tweeners.  Kelly Tripuka, Corliss Williamson, Adrian Dantley, Mark Aguirre and Chris Mullins.  I never saw them coming until they were already here.

bob

Bob I am not sure that I agree with your list of 5 players that you consider tweeners.  I guess I need to say what I think a tweener is.  I think of a player whose height is below the average at a particular position relative to most players that also play the same position.  There are physical attributes that can help to compensate for a person's height.  For example wingspan or girth.    

On your list there are two players that I think fall into the tweener category based on the position they played.  They include Corliss Williamson who played mostly PF at 6' 7"  and Adrian Dantley who played SF at 6' 5"  I would not classify the other players as tweeners.  Tripuka was a 6' 6" SF.   Chris Mullins was a 6'7"  SG/SF and Mark Aquirre was a 6' 6" SF.

Boston has too many PF tweeners like Semi, Morris, Theis, Yabuselle and they also Tatum and GH both 6' 8" guys at PF.   Morris is pretty solid but still undersized at PF.  So Boston has 6 players that will man the 4 spot and all of them are tweeners.  All of them are undersized to effectively play that position at both ends of the court.  Their new PF tweener at 6'7 1/2 adds to the inadequacy of a front line that is just too small.  

Considering that I have been hammering away on this issue for a long time, my puzzlement on how this team has been configured will continue.

Of course now that we have a 7' 7" center the averages can increase, at least on paper.  lol

Dboss,

I guess I add another factor into who I consider to be a tweener:  foot speed.  Neither Tripucka nor Mullins had quick feet for the positions they played.  Perhaps another factor to be considered is strength.  Neither Tripucka nor Mullins were strong for their positions. Neither tall nor long, neither quick nor strong. How'd they carve out such nice careers? I'm the last one to ask.

Semi is strong enough.  He might be the strongest player on the team.  He also has the foot speed to stay in front of his man.  Can they shoot over him? Yes, that's why the foot speed to beat them to their spot is so important in a tweener.

I'm traveling and I haven't watched much film on Grant Williams.  He's being credited with a point guard's mind but this is the honeymoon, when the person we just married looks like a movie star, so we'll see.  He is the same size as Semi (6'7"/6'8", 240#) and seems to have a more well-rounded offensive game already.

Antawn Jamison.  Another tweener I never figured out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 am

Swish, who would we trade for Sabonis?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:26 am

worcester wrote:Swish, who would we trade for Sabonis?
Pacers could be interested in picks or Rozier sign & trade or us taking on McDermott

If I was part of the Pacers management, I’d start him with Turner and have Goga and Leaf come off the bench.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 am

Sounds sensible to me Swish
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 am

worcester wrote:Sounds sensible to me Swish

That was Kyle. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 am

Oops. Sensible, Kyle.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:08 pm

worcester wrote:Swish, who would we trade for Sabonis?

Why not Jaylen Brown? - but It would be nice to know how the Celtic brass rates Sabonis - There is so much more to be Known besides Brown and Sabonis's 3 year statistical track record.

http://bkref.com/tiny/1CT6X

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 am

I'd trade Brown for Turner, but not for Sabonis...he has the skinniest shoulders in the NBA I think, maybe have the size his dad was...LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 am

Sabonis is a decent player, but is not going to have the career that Brown will have so I would not trade Brown for Sabonis without at least a first round pick added to the deal by Indianapolis

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 pm

kdp59 wrote:I'd trade Brown for Turner, but not for Sabonis...he has the skinniest shoulders in the NBA I think, maybe have the size his dad was...LOL.

But still a very good rebounder with great touch around the basket.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:27 pm

wideclyde wrote:Sabonis is a decent player, but is not going to have the career that Brown will have so I would not trade Brown for Sabonis without at least a first round pick added to the deal by Indianapolis

He answers the need for a rebounder - as to future sucess - who knows for sure.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 pm

I don’t think any GM would trade Jaylen for Sabonis, robbery!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I don’t think any GM would trade Jaylen for Sabonis, robbery!!

You may be right cowens - but I want to see a few more years before I bet the farm on who I think will turn out to be the best.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 am

Regardless, we need a center pronto, and Shane Larkin may already be under contract.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2