Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target

5 posters

Go down

Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target Empty Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target
Written by  Edward Santiago

Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target D156fe6cc79bf408ad2985302efabb4d_L
Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

The Boston Celtics have been on a run of hot form lately, and are looking to make the playoffs. Making this surge doesn’t keep the Celtics from having an eye on the future. This week on the Celtics Beat Podcast, Larry H. Russell brings on Jackie MacMullan of ESPN Boston to talk about the Celtics recent form, and their eye on the future.

Brad Stevens has been great for the Celtics since his arrival. “I was just talking to Ryan McDonough the former Assistant GM of the Celtics who is now running the [Phoenix] Suns. I was asking him what would you call a Brad Stevens team what’s, the signature thing about that team and he said they play hard and they play together”

“Where he seems to have the most credibility is among coaches and GM’s of other teams." Other teams respect what Stevens did at Butler and understand how hard it is to get to two straight National Title games with a mid-major team.

“I think his stock was pretty high to begin with but I think it’s skyrocketed in the last six weeks.”

Boston has never been a huge free agent destination. Kevin Garnett didn’t want to come, he wanted to go to LA, but with Brad Stevens on hand things can change with big name free agents in the future. “If you said what’s the biggest asset the Boston Celtics have right now, it’s their coach.”

The Celtics will have more cap space this summer than they have had in a long time. “I think they’ll get somebody that can help them. I don’t think it’s going to be a big splash and I’m not sure it has to be this summer.”

“I think they’re going to try and get those [second tier free agents] anyways. Let’s say if you’re Khris Middleton for instance, he’s become everyone’s darling because analytically his numbers are eye popping. Either way I believe the Celtics were going to go after those guys anyways.”

To hear the entire interview with Jackie MacMullan of ESPN Boston tune into the Celtics Beat Podcast this week. She joins Larry H. Russell in talking about the Celtics recent surge and a look towards the future.

bob
MY NOTE: Middleton is shooting over 40% from 3 this year, so you know that's going to make Danny and Brad smile. But we currently have Crowder, Young, Wallace and Gigi at SF. If we resign Crowder and Wallace cannot be traded...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/middlkh01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target Empty Re: Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target

Post by Sam Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I enjoyed Jackie's color commentary last night.  Among other things, she was lavish in her praise of Reggie Lewis, saying she felt he was Hall-of-Fame bound.

Which reminds me, I don't recall seeing a lot of recent comments about what a dummy Jackie was to suggest, over a mike she didn't know was on, that the Celtics and Rondo would be parting company.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target Empty Re: Jackie MacMullan: Milwaukee Bucks Khris Middleton a Likely Boston Celtics Off-Season Target

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 pm

here is the article I saw

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/3/22/8272937/jackie-macmullan-predicts-celtics-will-go-after-second-tier-guys

ackie MacMullan joined our friends at CLNS Radio for an interview touching on a number of topics surrounding the Boston Celtics. One topic was the offseason plans for Danny and the front office.

The Celtics will have more cap space this summer than they have had in a long time. "I think they’ll get somebody that can help them. I don’t think it’s going to be a big splash and I’m not sure it has to be this summer." "I think they’re going to try and get those [second tier free agents] anyways. Let’s say if you’re Khris Middleton for instance, he’s become everyone’s darling because analytically his numbers are eye popping. Either way I believe the Celtics were going to go after those guys anyways."

Middleton has gotten better as the season has progressed, to the point where he's averaging 19.4 points per game in March. He's also an excellent defensive player (the Bucks are much better defensively when he's on the court).

Danny Ainge obviously will hope to land a top-line player via free agency or trade, but he also loves getting good value players and Khris is a key example of that type of player.

looks a little different here.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:24 pm

A two-way player always has to be of interest.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:20 am

I am not sure that this guy would start for the Cs next season as I do not know much about him (will try to check him out more), but unless Ainge thinks that he (Middleton) can start he will not be chased by the Celtics. There is just not a need for another maybe starter/backup type small forward.

The Cs can sign Jerebko, Datome or Crowder for next year and also have Young under contract as well. Of the three potential free agents I would keep them in the following order: Crowder, Jerebko and then Datome.

All three bring different strengths and all three have different price tags, but all three would have to be considered as 'reserves' on next year's team as next year's team should be better than 2014-15 if the re-build continues as planned.

Crowder brings tremendous energy and leadership. He can score, had great defensive skills to include versatility and will likely be the cheapest of the three. Jerebko can play multiple positions and guard multiple positions although not as well as Crowder. He is likely to be the most expensive of the three. Datome is the weakest of the three defensively and is probably going to be the second most expensive.

Young may have the most potential, but also could be a long way away from being considered as a starter. He is moderately priced, but is under contract.

Again, if Middleton can be a starter who is going to raise the level of team play, then he could be a player to target for an improved Celtics team in 2015-16.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Turner is our starting SF now and he is under contract next season also.

Crowder should be resigned and as RFA we could match any offer he might get. I think a fair deal on Crowder would be in the 4yr/$16M range.

Jerebko is a PF. he seems like the odd man out unless Ainge trades someone from the PF stockpile. I think Jerebko can be signed for arouind 2yr/$9M myself.

what about Bass?

I know hes PF, but hasn't his loyalty and hard play earned a new deal here?

resigning Bass for 3 yrs/ $21M couldn't hurt this team.

of course sifgning all three leaves us with the same roster we have, plus our draft picks with maybe $6M in cap space for one additional signing.

my thoguhts today are moving Sully and one of our firsts this year to Philly for Noel. Philly was reportedly offfering him at the trade deadline and may end up with Okafor or towns from this years draft to go with Embiid.

Sully our #14 pick this pick and a future first?

hows this roster look then?

Zeller
Noel
R. Upshaw (pick #33)
Bass
Kelly O
Jerebko
Turner
Crowder
Wallace
Young
Bradley
Smart
Thomas
Pressey
RJ Hunter (#24 pick)

If I were Ainge I woudl ask Walace if he wants to go elsewhere or stay here for his final year in the NBA. If he wants to move on, we can outright release him and use the $6M left for a vet player for the final roster spot.

I also assume the other second rounder will be a draft and stash or if Wallace moves on we can draft Troy Williams (Ind) or Michael Quails (Ark) at #44 instead.

that team competes for the 4th spot in the East next season, IMO.

and we still have cap space and draft picks going forward.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:59 am

Khris Middleton hit the game winner at the buzzer to beat the Heat last night.

Another reason to like him.

We are now 1 game behind Miami.  If we win tonight we will be tied in the standings for the #7 spot and will be 2-2 against Miami head-to-head.  I don't know what the next tie-breaker is.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 am

Playoff Seedings Tie-breaker:

(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
(3) Division won-lost percentage
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:21 pm

sam wrote:Playoff Seedings Tie-breaker:

(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
(3) Division won-lost percentage
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games

Sam

sam,

1. Neither will be division leaders.
2. If we win tonight we will be tied at 2-2 for the season head-to-head.
3. Our intra-divisional record is 9-4, theirs is 4-9.

A BIG game tonight. BIG.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:28 pm

well Dwade wil be in his usual thug self tonight then!

I will also point out in this thread that Jackie has also said the Celtics like Monroe.

we could sign him for sure, but it would cost us Bass and Jerebko ansd he is not the defensive presence many of us want inside.

I could see Monroe here before Middleton though.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Record within the division only counts as a tiebreaker if both teams are in the same division. It moves down to conference records, and they will be tied in that department also if Boston wins.

Just do your part to win games and let the chips fall where they may.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:21 pm

I agree, Outside.  All the agonizing about games behind and associated conjecture is for fans and the media—not for the team.  I've always felt that fans could get more out of pro basketball if they tried to emulate the perspectives of the players.  In this case, a game at a time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Outside wrote:Record within the division only counts as a tiebreaker if both teams are in the same division. It moves down to conference records, and they will be tied in that department also if Boston wins.

Just do your part to win games and let the chips fall where they may.

outside,

Oops, for some reason I forgot that Miami is in the Southeast Division and not the Atlantic. A little thing, like that big body of water Miamians jump into year-round, threw me off. Thanks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Bob,

If you take a look at a map, having Minnesota and OKC in the "Northwest" division or having Memphis in the Western conference at all makes no sense. "Atlantic" may not be the most accurate description, but it's better than using stuff like "Leaders" and "Legends," like what the Big Ten conference did. And then what's up with the Big Ten having 14 teams and the Big 12 having 10 teams? Ooh, my head hurts.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down