Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates

5 posters

Go down

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates Empty Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 am

https://nesn.com/2019/09/celtics-jaylen-brown-has-new-nickname-thanks-to-usa-basketball-teammates/

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard

on Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 5:03PM

Time will tell whether Jaylen Brown’s new nickname will stick.

ESPN revealed the U.S. men’s national basketball team players have started calling the Boston Celtics forward “Jaylen, The Creator,” according to The Athletic’s Jay King. The name seemingly refers to the unselfishness Brown has showed over the the last six-plus weeks, during which time he has been part of the national team’s 2019 FIBA World Cup squad.

“It’s probably a reference to the rapper Tyler, The Creator, and it’s surely a nod to Brown’s increased willingness as a passer throughout the World Cup,” King wrote Wednesday. “Because he hasn’t always been one to find open teammates, a boost in patient kickouts stood out. The Celtics don’t need Brown to become a primary playmaker, but he could expand his value simply by making consistently solid reads on drives. He has also defended a lot of bigger players during the World Cup, an experience that could help the Celtics when the regular season arrives.”

If Brown has been using a nickname, or others doing so on his behalf, it has yet to come to the attention of large swaths of the Celtics and NBA fan base.

The nickname has been part of an eventful World Cup adventure for Brown, who has emphasized his versatility and willingness to sacrifice for the good of his team.

However, Team USA’s fortunes have plummeted in China, as it lost to France on Wednesday in the quarterfinals and then fell to Serbia on Thursday in the fifth-eighth place semifinals. The U.S. will conclude its 2019 World Cup stay Saturday when it plays for seventh place.

At least Brown has a new nickname, though.

bob
MY NOTE: He could do a lot worse, for a nickname. Now he just has to earn it in the NBA. Jaylen has always been a bit of a black hole, but passing wasn't his job. He wasn't supposed to run that. What I want, still, is better ball handling and fritos. More fritos and, definitely, a higher ftm%. If he ups his assists too that's just gravy. Don't let this go to your head, kid, focus on the important stuff that are absolutely essential to your getting minutes: defense and fritos made, so we don't have empty possessions.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates Empty Re: Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 am

Bob how’s Burning Man?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates Empty Re: Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Bob how’s Burning Man?

Cow,

I have been to 47 countries, to-date.  I have stayed at 5-star resorts and I have slept on dirt floors in grass huts in rainforests.  Burning Man is unique.  It is not a sustainable society, and everybody there knows it, but all the paradigms we accept as part of living in what Burners refer to as "Default Reality" can get tossed out.  Two of the basic tenets of Burning Man are Radical Self-Reliance and Radical Self-Expression.  

Burning Man takes place on federal land in the high desert of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Nevada.  It is a pristine dried, prehistoric lake bed a week before it begins and it is returned to a pristine dried prehistoric lake bed a week after it is over, with no trace of man having ever been there.  There are no hotels, no guesthouses.  There are port-o-potties, but no water other than what you bring.  You want to take a shower?  Then you need to either build a shower (which we did) or pour bottles over your head or, if you come in an RV, shower in your accommodation but there is none provided by the event.  

It is an uncommoditized (sic) society.  In other words, there is no currency.  You can go to Center Camp and buy a coffee/latte/chai and pay cash for it.  You can buy ice and pay cash for it ($4 for a 3 lb bag) and that's about it.  Everything else you bring or you are offered for free.  A couple of blocks (Black Rock City has a DPW, Department of Public Works, that lays out the city into streets and avenues) away from where I stayed there was a camp that offered the equivalent of sausage egg McMuffins and coffee everyday from 9am - noon.  Free.  Get on line, bring your cup for coffee and get fed.  My camp ran a 24X7 bar with the theme of an old west saloon.  Stop by, anytime of day or night, and have a shot of whiskey, as many as you want.  Free.  There is no barter either.  There is no "I'll give you 3 of these for one of what you have".  You offer it, as much as you want to offer, or not.  Your choice.  It is a very, very different climate (desert), infrastructure and society.  

Black Rock City (BRC, as it is known) has its own radio station with its own FCC-assigned call sign.  It has its own newspaper that prints a weekly issue as well as 7 dailies which can be picked up, free, at Center Camp.  It has post offices with its own USPS-assigned zip code.  People volunteer to work the POs and deliver mail intra-BRC.  I mailed 3 postcards (1 to myself, 1 to my sister in NY and 1 to my friend in Brooklyn) and they didn't charge me for postage even though they, obviously, were going to have to be delivered to a Default Reality Post Office in Sparks, NV or Reno to continue onward.  Because it is on federal land it is overseen by the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), who patrol the city.  People also volunteer to receive training and become "BRC Rangers".  They walk around the city, with walkie-talkies, and settle disputes and, if things go really bad (e.g. sexual assault, theft.  Serious stuff like that) they call for backup and the real BLM Rangers show up and take control of the situation.  There is a central medical area, called Rampart, as well as medical tents dispersed throughout BRC, staffed by volunteers.  Many of these volunteers are healthcare providers (MDs, RNs, etc) in real life and donate their time and skills to the residents of BRC.

My camp was at 4:30 and Esplanade.  Look at the "4:30 sector" on this map.  See the little white carat at 4:30 and the first street on the center of the "doughnut"?  That's where my camp was and where I lived for 12 days.  Center Camp is at 6 and Esplanade, in that small circle inside the bigger circle called "Rod's Road", named after the site architect/urban designer of BRC, Rod Garrett, who died in 2011 at the age of 74 just before the 25th anniversary of Burning Man.  Yep, in 2011 Burning Man had already been happening for 24, going on 25, years.  It started in San Francisco but outgrew it.

It costs $420 for a ticket and an additional $100 for a car access pass.  Some of this money goes to the US government as fees for the use of the land.  This is NOT a drain on the US taxpayer.  In fact, quite the opposite.  We pay for the use of public land and return it to the exact same condition as we found it.  I spoke to some BLM Rangers.  They aren't assigned to this post, they have to volunteer for it.  They said that we are better for the land than dune buggy/off-road vehicle users.  After we broke down our camp we walked around the site with shovels filling in the trenches we dug to run wires underground and then took rakes to smooth the playa over the filled-in trenches so it didn't look like we had dug anything.  It wasn't perfect, but a few days of dust storms would have made it so.

The Burning Man, himself, was set in the middle of the doughnut, maybe a little further back towards 12 o'clock.

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Has New Nickname, Thanks To USA Basketball Teammates City-Sectors-for-web

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Bob

Very interesting and informative.  Thank you for sharing your experience.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Awesome Bob!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Our Creator
who art in China
interesting be thy name
Thy season come
thy will be done
On the parquet
As it is in Playstation 4
Give us this day
our #18
and lead us not into the Lottery
But deliver us to the NBA Finals
For Thine is the contract extension
and Max Contract
For five years plus
Amen
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:59 pm

I’m amazed you can be at Burning Man and still have time to keep us updated on the C’s, had friends that went and one got hit by a truck as he was on something and on his bicycle and broke a bunch of bones. Human nature meets the desert for one big continuous party you never know what to expect, hows the food around all that dust...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I’m amazed you can be at Burning Man and still have time to keep us updated on the C’s, had friends that went and one got hit by a truck as he was on something and on his by bicycle and broke a bunch of bones. Human nature meets the desert for one big continuous party you never know what to expect, hows the food around all that dust...???

Cow,

I'm back from Burning Man.

The food was good.  We brought it all.  Very Happy. I was in a mature camp, a lot of veterans. We had a standing propane stove, a freezer powered by a diesel generator. It was practically glamping.

There was a place that served 300 lunches a day but I never got to it, I was usually sleeping in our air conditioned yurt then.

The dust is a constant.  Dust storms are regular occurrences.  Walking around with goggles and a bandana over my lower face like a bandito wasn't unusual.  It's like living on another world, with the society adapting to accommodate the different reality of that world.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:33 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I’m amazed you can be at Burning Man and still have time to keep us updated on the C’s, had friends that went and one got hit by a truck as he was on something and on his by bicycle and broke a bunch of bones. Human nature meets the desert for one big continuous party you never know what to expect, hows the food around all that dust...???

Cow,

I'm back from Burning Man.

The food was good.  We brought it all.  Very Happy. I was in a mature camp, a lot of veterans.  We had a standing propane stove, a freezer powered by a diesel generator.  It was practically glamping.

There was a place that served 300 lunches a day but I never got to it, I was usually sleeping in our air conditioned yurt then.

The dust is a constant.  Dust storms are regular occurrences.  Walking around with goggles and a bandana over my lower face like a bandito wasn't unusual.  It's like living on another world, with the society adapting to accommodate the different reality of that world.

bob

Heat and cold I can take and enjoy, that dust would be a problem....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down