cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 pm

BrandonBanks$$$ wrote:http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

G-State restricted free agent Anthony Morrow has slew of interest, including Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, Blazers, Clips and Jazz, sources say.

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 2 Act_anthony_morrow

Brandon,

Just as with Glen Davis, restricted free agents will probably receive luke-warm interest from every team (other than their own) except for those that are so far under the salary cap they can afford to spend more than the MLE on that restricted free agent.

GSW can match any offer coming Morrow's way. GSW likes Morrow. Of the above teams, the only ones that are below the salary cap by more than the MLE is Boston and the Clippers and Boston has to deal with the free agency of Pierce and the Allen boys. If someone offers Morrow the full MLE (which I personally doubt) the GSW will be able to simply match that AND will still have their own MLE to use.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Ray Allen FA News
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

I've come across a source who has told me that free agent player could be Ray Allen. The source tells me that Allen has spoken to James and his preference is to remain with the Celtics, but that's predicated on Paul Pierce remaining with the team. The money is not a huge factor. Winning more championships is the most important factor.

According to the source, Allen has spoken to James and would consider joining said, "Dream Team." Along with possibly taking less money if it was the perfect opportunity.

One last factor the source close to Allen mentioned was that Ray's mother lives in Orlando, and he would not mind being closer to his family.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:22 pm

The Celtics could then use their midlevel exception for a different player. Several sources believe that Ainge’s target is Orlando’s J.J. Redick, who is a restricted free agent.

Boston has strong interest in Brad Miller in free agency and could try to acquire Dallas center Erick Dampier.

Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Boston Celtics GM Danny Ainge is trying to use Rasheed Wallace’s contract in trade talks, a move that would allow the Celtics to keep their midlevel exception, league sources said. Wallace has yet to file retirement papers, so the $6.32 million owed him next season and $6.79 million in 2011-12 would come off a team’s books after Wallace is traded to them. They could do a deal and not take on his money. Ainge is trying to use the Wallace contract to bring back a power forward or center to replace Wallace and the injured Kendrick Perkins.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

BrandonBanks$$$ wrote:Ray Allen FA News

I've come across a source who has told me that free agent player could be Ray Allen. The source tells me that Allen has spoken to James and his preference is to remain with the Celtics, but that's predicated on Paul Pierce remaining with the team. The money is not a huge factor. Winning more championships is the most important factor.

According to the source, Allen has spoken to James and would consider joining said, "Dream Team." Along with possibly taking less money if it was the perfect opportunity.

One last factor the source close to Allen mentioned was that Ray's mother lives in Orlando, and he would not mind being closer to his family.

brandon,

I didn't see any rumor about Ray Allen.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Bob,

I'm just posting things that I read & would like to get everyone's opinions on. For example; Ray Allen possibly joining the Orlando Magic? Joining Lebron James where ever he goes on a supposed "Dream Team"?
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:32 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/boston_celtics

The Boston Celtics may have some competition for Ray Allen. Word is the Cavaliers and HEAT have both tried to set up early free agent meetings with Ray-Ray. If the Celtics think they can get him back cheap, they may be in for a surprise.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 pm

bobheckler wrote:

G-State restricted free agent Anthony Morrow has slew of interest, including Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, Blazers, Clips and Jazz, sources say.

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 2 Act_anthony_morrow

Brandon,

Just as with Glen Davis, restricted free agents will probably receive luke-warm interest from every team (other than their own) except for those that are so far under the salary cap they can afford to spend more than the MLE on that restricted free agent.

GSW can match any offer coming Morrow's way. GSW likes Morrow. Of the above teams, the only ones that are below the salary cap by more than the MLE is Boston and the Clippers and Boston has to deal with the free agency of Pierce and the Allen boys. If someone offers Morrow the full MLE (which I personally doubt) the GSW will be able to simply match that AND will still have their own MLE to use.

bob

I understand the NBA offseason, just wanted to post that bit of information to get everyone's opinions on Anthony Morrow a Celtic and how he could fit in with this team. Because of their interest for him.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Young and has same height as Ray. Probably the next hired gun in the NBA. I think better the Miller from Washington.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:34 pm

In another NBA development, Memphis star forward Rudy Gay has accepted a max contact from the Memphis Grizzlies. Gay was one of the most coveted free agents on the market.

I would have loved to see Rudy Gay in green along Rajon Rondo, but it doesn't look like thats going to be happening any time soon..

Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Sam wrote:What kind of hands does B. Miller have? I just want to be ready for the first time Rondo slips a hard pass inside, his starting center grabs and dunks it in one motion, and Rondo dissolves into tears of joy.

Sam

Sam,

What are RR's assist numbers like with a center like that?

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Joe Johnson is getting a 6-year max contract too.

This is nuts.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Hoop, good point.

Wow, something like $16.5 million per year for Rudy Gay. And this is the off-season when players are supposed to be disappointed to find they're not worth what they think they're worth?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 pm

BobH,

I think that in a few years some of these teams will be so financially strapped by their stars they won't be able to stay competitive. Just suppose Miami gives max contracts to Wade and Bosh and one of them gets hurt? Now what do they do? Back to square one with Wade and a bunch of scrubs and they owe 100 million for hot tub treatments. I really don't like what's going on in sports in general right now. Part of it is not understanding some of the cap rules and the other part is just the whole tale wagging the dog thing with the King and the other stars.

Rudy Gay 16 million? Do they think he'll bring them a Championship? I like him but come on now. Joe Johnson a max contract because he can score on ISO plays? Why don't they spend some money on a good coach and teach the kids on that team how to compete?

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Hoopdeedoo wrote:BobH,

I think that in a few years some of these teams will be so financially strapped by their stars they won't be able to stay competitive. Just suppose Miami gives max contracts to Wade and Bosh and one of them gets hurt? Now what do they do? Back to square one with Wade and a bunch of scrubs and they owe 100 million for hot tub treatments. I really don't like what's going on in sports in general right now. Part of it is not understanding some of the cap rules and the other part is just the whole tale wagging the dog thing with the King and the other stars.

Rudy Gay 16 million? Do they think he'll bring them a Championship? I like him but come on now. Joe Johnson a max contract because he can score on ISO plays? Why don't they spend some money on a good coach and teach the kids on that team how to compete?

Hoop

Hoop,

Stupid is as stupid does.

Check out the "Per 36 minutes of play" production for Gay and Johnson. Then check the same for Ray Allen. Not THAT big a difference ppg, despite the fact that both of those other guys take more fga than Ray, who is the 3rd scoring option on the Celts. Ray is shooting better than them from the field, from 3 and from the line and has better ft% and Ray Allen won't be getting close to the max/year. Rudy Gay's assist-to-turnover ratio ain't dat great either.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gayru01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsjo02.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allenra02.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Bob,

Wow, when you see it in black and white it has some clarity for our points. Ray Allen has made over 158 million benjamins!!!!!!!! He did help bring a trophy to the C's and got reaaaaaaal close a second time.

Joe Johnson is a prime example of what's wrong with this picture. The team feels it needs to keep him to stay competitive. But to go and strap themselves with a max contract and they'll still need more help to get to the promised land, that seems ludicrous.

I guess I'm getting old. Too much reward without any awards. Look at what the NFL is going through right now. The Jamarcus Russell thing. He got 39 million and gave nothing. They cut him. NFL braintrust is seriously thinking about a rookie salary cap laden with incentives. I'm sure the union will love that.

I would like to see RA and PP sign for reasonable amounts and take a run this coming year. DA took the plunge(3 years ago) and got what he wanted for the most part. I see now how that has been somewhat influencial to these other teams that want a winner.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Hoopdeedoo wrote:Bob,

Wow, when you see it in black and white it has some clarity for our points. Ray Allen has made over 158 million benjamins!!!!!!!! He did help bring a trophy to the C's and got reaaaaaaal close a second time.

Joe Johnson is a prime example of what's wrong with this picture. The team feels it needs to keep him to stay competitive. But to go and strap themselves with a max contract and they'll still need more help to get to the promised land, that seems ludicrous.

I guess I'm getting old. Too much reward without any awards. Look at what the NFL is going through right now. The Jamarcus Russell thing. He got 39 million and gave nothing. They cut him. NFL braintrust is seriously thinking about a rookie salary cap laden with incentives. I'm sure the union will love that.

I would like to see RA and PP sign for reasonable amounts and take a run this coming year. DA took the plunge(3 years ago) and got what he wanted for the most part. I see now how that has been somewhat influencial to these other teams that want a winner.

Hoop

Hoop,

Living in the bay area, I know about Russell. Big and slow.

The other piece of work we have out here is Michael Crabtree, on the Niners. He didn't show up for training camp because he didn't have a contract and threatened he'd sit out the entire year and re-enter the draft next year if he didn't get what he wanted. Never laced up NFL cleats before and he's holding the four-time Superbowl champion Forty-Niners hostage. He got a 6-year, $32 contract instead of a 5-year $24M contract like the team originally offered.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Now the talk is that the Clippers will put a big push on Paul Pierce and over him a big contract. It is up to the Celtics to give Pierce a good contract for three years or four and he will sign. All he wants is to see what he is worth in the open market. Let's see if he follows through on what he has said.

In regard to Ray, he has made his money, I can't imagine him fighting over the dollar amount, it is the years. He is in the best shape of any of the "old" guys, runs like hell, comes off picks so well, and for the most part can shoot the ball. I know he had a tough time after the second game of the finals, but I am willing to give him a break there. His kid was real sick, and he was running all over the court playing defense on Kobe. He did a great job, it is
not unbelievable that his shot was off. I know I am prejudiced here, you all know how much I like Ray, but he has made his money, I believe it is years that he is concerned with. Offer him 2 years with an option, isn't that what they gave Rasheed? If he doesn't take it, then it is on him, not the Celtics.

MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED!!

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:19 pm

We sign him to a point but not give the bank away and hurt us in a year or two.
Same with Ray.

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Sam wrote:What kind of hands does B. Miller have? I just want to be ready for the first time Rondo slips a hard pass inside, his starting center grabs and dunks it in one motion, and Rondo dissolves into tears of joy.

Sam

I want to be at the first practice when Rondo drives in for a layup and Miller winds up and lays him out with a roundhouse right to the head, then says "Now we're even" and gives him a hand up. Razz Razz Razz
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:26 pm

In all seriousness, I think Miller would be a great pickup for you guys. Could carry the load at the 5 while Perk is haling then happily come off the bench and get some rest for the playoffs.

Great passer for a 5, and with a nice outside shot (can't really call it a jumper, though. Very Happy).

Semi-playoff tested, and he is a tough guy who doesn't back down.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Brandon,

bob

and worse, b/c he is RFA, GS will wait the full week or two before matching the offer, while the Cs can't use the mle on anyone else. So most other players will be gone by the time the Cs get the use of their mle back if they offer it to Morrow and he accepts.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 pm

112288 wrote:We sign him to a point but not give the bank away and hurt us in a year or two.
Same with Ray.

11-

that's a lot easier said then done. given the deals we've seen today not just for JJ and Gay, but for Gooden and Darko- YIKES!!!!

With it looking more and more likely that most of the big FAs are going to stay put (shocker), you are going to have a couple of teams left with tons of cap room who want to make a splash. If Clips throw big money at Pierce, or Bulls/Heat throw big money at Ray, it's hard for them to turn down.

But then who are the Cs going to bring in to replace them ?

I think the Cs will end up having to pay the guys more $$$ over more years than they would want, but it's their best alternative.

They will face the music a few years from now when at some point, everyone's contracts will far outweigh their production, but the chance for titles in the meantime is too good to pass up. These windows don't happen often, and for teams where anything short of a championship is a failure like Boston and LA (which is going to be in a similar position in a few years that the Cs are in now), having a season 3-4 years from now where the team is bad and is wildly overpaid is a small price to pay to be a true contender in the meantime.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Glen Davis was a RFA last summer. No teams made him an offer because they were sure that the Celtics would match. That process went on for most of the summer, at least it seemed to!!

Restricted Free Agency works more in the team's favor, not so much for the player. There is a reason for that. RFA's are usually young players who are at the end of their rookie contract. The team is looking to get a little more out of their investment and the league helps them out by giving them the majority of the power this one last year.

Trying to steal another team's RFA is an effort in futility. It rarely works and a team has to over-pay to actually land the player.

Ask Orlando about Gortat. He got an offer at so-called starters pay and Orlando matched. Now there are rumors that Orlando was unsatisfied with him and want to move him.

I'm sure Danny's looking at unrestricted FA's as his first options.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Ray Allen will be 35 on July 20th. He will be 36 next July. That means that his contract is governed by the "Over-36" rule, as Sheed's contract is now.

The Celtics can sign Ray for 3 years, he can retire after 2 and still get almost the full contract's worth. In other words, he can play 2 years for 3 years pay. When he retires, the third year gets charged to the second year of the contract and not the actual third year. That deal inflates his yearly salary if he retires early.

That kind of deal doesn't hurt the team in the third year and it may actually can help the team to get another player instead of just letting the "Old Player" retire. We are now seeing that play out with Sheed.

That third year? If Ray feels he is playing as he feels he needs to be, he just may play out the entire contract.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next