cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Bsk,

Your points are well taken about RA and PP. It's ALWAYS about the money.

I don't care what anyone says to the contrary. We all romanticize about our favorite players wanting to take less and play for the homies. My post earlier about RA already making 158 million wasn't a misprint. How much does he need short term? Chicago may offer RA top dollar and I'd bet he'd take it. I hope I am wrong because I think he is first class all the way.

The Clips still have Donald Sterling signing the checks and I doubt he would offer PP a max deal but may go longer term than DA will. I think DA will stretch the owners pocketbook to take a last run but as you said it may be painfully expensive down the line.

The question you asked is "who are the C's going to bring in to replace them". We just hope there is a plan B.

I also think Miller would be a good pick up as well. Then throw in a couple dark horse younger bigs you hope get it early in the season.

Hoop

I don't have the answer but I hope Danny Ainge does if it comes to that.
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 3 Empty Lakers offered a 5 year contract to Mike Miller

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Source told FOXSports.com that Mike Miller has already met with the Lakers, Knicks and Heat out in L.A. Lakers offered 5 years, $30 million.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by jeb Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:23 am

as the lakers are the yankees thats what they do...spend spend spend...god bless um...itsa spend world.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:29 am

its also funny that so much attention is being pointed at chumps.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:18 am

jeb65 wrote:
as the lakers are the yankees thats what they do...spend spend spend...god bless um...itsa spend world.

The 2009-10 season was the first time the Lakers have led the NBA in highest salary since the 1994-95 season. You can see a listing of the annual team salaries near the bottom of the link that I attached.

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/index.html

It's nice to see that the Lakers and Yankees owners re-invest money back into their teams.
The Yankees by far have the highest revenue and and the Lakers the 2nd.

Having the highest team salary does not equal championships.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 am

jeb65 wrote:
its also funny that so much attention is being pointed at chumps.

Yes, some of the contracts agreed to have been crazy.
(Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Darko Milicic, etc)
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 3 Empty Worse contract ever and it hasn't been signed yet...

Post by gyso Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 am

Worse contract ever and it hasn't been signed yet...

http://tinyurl.com/2fevrzy

It's never a good sign when, a full week before a player is set to put pen to paper to ink his most recent contract, that a good portion of the NBA community regards that contract as the worst it has ever seen.

Not the worst trade, nor the worst draft selection. And we're not talking about considering Joe Johnson's new contract with the Atlanta Hawks (as first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski) as the worst contract we've ever seen a few years into the deal, or a few years after it expires in retrospect.

We're feeling this way, right now. On July 1, seven days before he even gets to sign the deal. Worst contract, ever.

Use the link to see more...

gyso

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 3 Empty Rudy Gay will re-sign with the Grizzlies

Post by gyso Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:54 am

Here is another one...

http://tinyurl.com/2e4qzwc

Signing Rudy Gay, at age 23, to a deal that will pay him $80 million over five years? It's so bad on so many levels, and good enough on just enough levels, that I think we've about evened out, here.

Listen, there are a lot of holes in Rudy's game. He doesn't get to the line nearly as much as he should for someone with his gifts, and his hops. His defense, until last season, was absolutely terrible. It's merely adequate now, if that. He's a good enough shooter to draw defenses, though he makes fewer than one 3-pointer per game, not that great a dribbler, and a good finisher if nobody's around.

This isn't me killing him. He's a 23-year-old who has averaged around 18 points and five rebounds for every 36 minutes he's played over his career, numbers right in line with his career averages, and ... I tried. I really did.

I can't fake it. If Gay continues at his current pace of growth, this is a bad deal.

It's certainly understandable for a team like the Grizzlies to overpay to keep their own. It's definitely understandable when Adrian Wojnarowski tells you that the Grizz were freaked out at the possibility of a front-loaded contract offer from another team — something that could set Memphis' payroll afire — and quickly made a move to lock up their guy with an evened-out big deal. It's understandable when you look at Gay's age, and body. He looks like star.

But it's just not in him. Players along Gay's ilk usually improved by leaps and bounds by his age, or by 23 years of age. Rudy has more or less flatlined, if I'm honest, since his second year. And really, if you watched the guy, he only seemed to be interested and enthused last season, in that contract year.

Use the link to see more...

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 3 Empty David Lee

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 am

Just heard we resigned Pierce,knew he wasn't going anywhere,aren't he and Ray and TA all in our Bird rights? so they shouldn't count against cap?Hope we can get David Lee hes not Dave Cowens,but I'd take him over Brad Miller anyday,who I also like.Lee is a rebounding machine and has a knack for scoring without a real post up game.What do you guys think?Lee would really help us and is a good/great young piece.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:06 am

cowens,

We are trying a new thing ... keeping all the free agent stuff in one thread, unless is is a major thing. I wouldn't be surprised that the topic of David Lee has already been mentioned here on this thread.

re: Bird rights not counting against the cap. That is a falsehood that seems to have a life of it's own. Not true in any way. Bird rights allows a team to re-sign their own free agents and go over the cap to do it.

ALL salaries count against the cap.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 am

Cow

Although I like Lee i'm not sold on him by a long shot. so hard to tell when anyone has played for the Knicks what any of there stats mean. Just not sure on the D end but would give us another weapon on the offensive end.

Personally I'd go with B. Miller before Lee but we OBVIOUSLY need some one to mind the paint while we wait for Perk to return, hopefully this will all work out to our advantage when it comes playoff time next year.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

tjmakz wrote:Source told FOXSports.com that Mike Miller has already met with the Lakers, Knicks and Heat out in L.A. Lakers offered 5 years, $30 million.

TJ,

If I'm Mike Miller, I take that deal and never look back. He's 30 years old now (will be 31 before next year's all-star game) and this deal would pay him until he's 35+.

I don't see him as being that great an athlete that he'll still be competing at a high level when he's 35, so I'd lock myself in to this contract ASAP.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

beat
I share those same concerns with Lee,however hes alot younger and guarentee he can score and rebound alot better than B Miller.When Perk gets back I could see Lee playing with Perk or KG better than B Miller.Would be great if we could get both,but with cap sure its one or the other and I'm sure we'll be over cap again. cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:46 am

no sweat tj...got muled playin poker and was inna rotten mood.

jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:50 am

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Source told FOXSports.com that Mike Miller has already met with the Lakers, Knicks and Heat out in L.A. Lakers offered 5 years, $30 million.

TJ,

If I'm Mike Miller, I take that deal and never look back. He's 30 years old now (will be 31 before next year's all-star game) and this deal would pay him until he's 35+.

I don't see him as being that great an athlete that he'll still be competing at a high level when he's 35, so I'd lock myself in to this contract ASAP.

bob

I would love for Miller to sign with LA.
He is a great shooter, can play PG, SG and SF and is an excellent ball handler for a guy that is 6'8.
He is not a great scorer but that is only because he takes about 8 shots per game.
He would be a great back up for Kobe and Artest and would get some time at PG.
Hopefully LA could shed 5 minutes from Kobe's minutes per game.
With Vujacic shooting under 40% Kobe has had to play heavy minutes.

I am sure LA could trade Vujacic because he has an expiring contract.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:05 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

He is a great shooter, can play PG, SG and SF and is an excellent ball handler for a guy that is 6'8.
He is not a great scorer but that is only because he takes about 8 shots per game.

TJ,

It is mindboggling that the Lakers' payroll is $81M and that's only 7 players.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 am

They probably could give him away.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:12 am

So let me get this straight. The Lakers have now offered 15 different free agents $5 million a year for 5 years. I hear Phil looked into his crystal ball and learned that everyone named Miller in the league should be signed; in fact, I have it on good authority that he's even offered Reggie Miller $5 million a year for 5 years to come out of retirement.

Wait a second. This special delivery letter just came from Inglewood.......................Oh my god. That's so nice of them. And for 5 years too. I'll be able to celebrate my 100th birthday in yellow and purple. (What is it about yellow and purple that keeps reminding me of my first major drinking bout as a kid?)

What is this P.S.? Could I dig up the address for Glenn Miller? I think it's marker #35 in Forest Lawn. $5 mil a year would seem like a bundle to old Glenn, and they'd only want him to play during their annual balloon festival. And only if he's "In the Mood."

Is it true that the waiting period of 7 days is intended to allow the purple and yellow time for exhumations?

Gee, this free agency is really fun!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 am

LA could have Mike Miller and Boston could have Brad Miller.
That sounds fair to me.
I will have a Miller Lite when that happens!

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:23 am

Sam

Not dating myself either but Mitch Miller and his sing-a-long crew could sign up to sing the National Anthem too.

"Let me hear a melody..........."

(PS just for historical correctness I thought Glenn Miller's body was lost at sea, therefore it would be sort of tough to dig um up? )

Payroll what payroll..........................?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:30 am

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

TJ,

It is mindboggling that the Lakers' payroll is $81M and that's only 7 players.

bob

The next 6 players they sign with only total about $14m.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:11 pm

http://www.necn.com/07/01/10/Celtics-inquired-about-Brendan-Haywood/landing_sports.html?blockID=264642&feedID=3352

But league sources told CSNNE.com Thursday night that the Celtics have also inquired about Dallas center Brendan Haywood.

The C's could look into a possible sign-and-trade by giving the Mavericks Rasheed Wallace, who is expected to retire, in exchange for Haywood.

For Dallas, they could buy Wallace out at a reduced amount from his $6.3 million contract this season, which would give them added financial flexibility.

Along with Haywood, the Celtics also reached out to a couple of wing players, 6-7 guard/forward Antoine Wright of Toronto as well as 6-7 guard/forward Rasual Butler who averaged a career-high 11.9 points per game last season with the Los Angeles Clippers.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Think of Antoine Wright as a Tony Allen that can shoot the ball.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I wonder how realistic it is that we could go after Haywood. I'm sure the money is an issue because he might be a little pricey for us. You're talking about a guy who would very likely come in to start not fill in. He would upgrade our offense.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Mavs desperately need Brendon Haywood and the owner isn't exactly cheap,anyone really think we have a shot at him?Antoine Wright is like TA?hes a Kobe stopper?really,I don't think so.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next