Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way)

+4
NYCelt
bobheckler
dbrown4
international
8 posters

Go down

Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way) Empty Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way)

Post by international Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:53 pm

His last great idea is to give minutes to some players that are fighting for a position or trying to absorb the system and get in rhythm. But he will do it leaving in Boston many players (A large group of Celtics did not travel with the team for today’s game in Cleveland: Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kanter, Smart, Theis)
In my opinion this is not the correct atmosphere for the players that will be in Cleveland, you will have a bunch of player fighting for their permanence on the team,it will be like a summer league game, everybody on their own and you will see a lot of forced shot, turnovers, selfish game and a lot of run and gun.

international

Back to top Go down

Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way) Empty Re: Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way)

Post by dbrown4 Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Have to agree with you international. Let's start a campaign to do away with PRESEASON!!

I wasted recording space last night on LAL vs. GSW! Another Non-Varsity scrimmage. If the teams aren't going to take preseason seriously, league should drop it.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way) Empty Re: Stevens does'nt cease to amaze me (in a negative way)

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Teams that have nothing to gain, coast.  We've seen that at the end of the regular season, like when Cleveland (who did make the playoffs) and the Lakers (who did not) sat LeBron once their playoff disposition was set.  How many games did LeBron get sat out last year?  Milwaukee was the #1 seed last year, not even close and The Greek Freak sat 5 of the Bucks' last 12 games and in 3 of the games he did play in he played less than 30mpg when he was averaging almost 33mpg during the season.  

Furthermore, just because those players aren't in Cleveland that doesn't mean they are taking the day off.  I am sure they are in the gym working, not just in the weight room but playing games.  

We just had 2 straight blow outs and were up by 54 against this same Cleveland team.  Even if Kevin Love and Tristam Thompson play tonight this game is meaningless, not just because it's preseason but because Cleveland is not a good team even with them.

The preseason has just been shortened, it is shorter this year than any other year.  The reason why it's shorter is to save the players' bodies for the real season, but has not been eliminated completely because it makes the franchises money and because it lets the coaches try out new lineups and watch players play against players who don't already know the plays that are going to be run against them as soon as they hear them called out.

Our top 7 players are ready, they don't need this tuneup.  Giving 8-18 some minutes has value too.  Don't we want Wanamaker to feel comfortable running our offense?  An injury to Kemba, or foul trouble, and he's suddenly playing very solidly rotation minutes.  Leaving Kemba, Smart and Jaylen at home makes that happen.  Don't we want the Williams boys to get a lot of minutes, and Poirier too?  Leaving Theis and Kanter opens that door.  There's been a lot of talk on another thread about Vincent Poirier and how we can't jump to conclusions because he has hardly played.  Well, this is how we, and Brad, finds out.

Javonte Green and Max Strus are both firmly on top of the bubble.  They will both play tonight, unless the decision has already been made.

If everybody traveled to Cleveland, but there already was a decision that the players who ended up staying home wasn't going to play, then making them travel is disruptive for no constructive purpose, not to mention farcical.  Bring them and play them or let them sleep in their own beds for an extra night or two.  They will be missing their families plenty over the next 6 months as it is.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Bob,

Good take on the upcoming game and insight on how to view the evening's roster.

Spot on, IMO.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Bob I think you nailed it down pretty good.

Also we should not overlook the fact that 4 of our top 5 players were playing in the World Cup.  They worked all summer and have been playing competitive basketball.

The game is meaningless as no awards will be handed out.  Win or lose it has zero impact on the regular season standings.

I think it is very positive that the young guys will get to play more.  In many cases the fringe players may have a chance to connect with another team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Another reason for this move, besides saving the bodies of our starters and important players, is to showcase whoever is left on the bench in case someone else is looking for a certain type player.
I will not be surprised to see someone take a shot at Green. The other guys????? Some may be Maine bound if they don't get a chance elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how these kids rise to the occasion.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by international Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Well, I don't know , maybe my English is not good enough and you don't understand my point but seems to me that whatever I say is wrong.i won't waste more time in this because anyway I am the wrong person in every post and all of you are not going to validate my opinions. As a former player sometimes I see things a little diferent than the average fan , because I have seen situations like this in my 15 years as a player. So I have no other choice than stay away from a group like this.I am from another era where basketball was well play, with correct fundaments,hard fouls,unselfish game,respect from the coach , teammates and fans, few small ball and no obsesion for the 3 point shot. NBA today is like an all star game , everybody  looking to be a show,Greg Popovich say that today's NBA is not basketball and I agree with him.Somebody asked me one time if players like Bill Russell and Larry Bird could play in this era NBA and I said"no way,they played real basketball and were not part of a circus".To all of you, my deepest appreciation , as a person you treated me like a brother and I am very grateful for that , but there is a reality and as long as people like Brad Stevens and his obsesion with a system will be the coach of the Celtics I can't follow them, is sad because I have been a Celtics fan since 1970. I hope in heaven Sam (Rick )forgive me for leaving this group.I am going out of facebook too and other Celtics groups there but I need to do it.Best regards to all of you .Good luck to all of you and to my beloved Celtics.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:48 pm

International I didn’t see anybody disrespecting you, and I have ripped into some trolls. Hope you stay, I always like seeing your insights and agree this version of the NBA is different and lacks some of the great qualities that made the old game so beloved.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:51 pm

This is too bad that you feel this way. We look forward to your thoughts and opinions.  Life changes, the games change, the players and the coaches change.  I have been following the Celtics since the 1960's, was a season ticket holder for a few years until marriage changed the way I spent my money!!!  We all get disgusted at times with the way things are done today, but it is either go with the flow or just leave them behind.  I would never do that to my Celtics.

Here's hoping after a few games you will get the urge and join us again.. You are a valuable member of this board

Rosalie

Last edited by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:01 pm

International,

Nobody disrespected you here.  Nobody.  I disagreed with you.  I thought I did it politely, courteously and I thought I laid out my reasons pretty well, although perhaps not.

I have always given you credit for the value you bring to this board about international players, for example.  In a recent post I noted that I watched every piece of film I could find on Poirier after you said Danny was looking at him.  Does that sound like I don't respect your opinions?  And, other than you, I'm not sure I am aware of any other board member who has been a stronger advocate for Poirier than me (maybe that's just because I've watched more film than they have, heheh).  Seems to me that if I didn't respect your opinion I wouldn't have watched film on Poirier at all, I would have just waited until he played for us and I could see for myself.

Just because someone disagrees with something you say doesn't mean they disrespect you.  If they truly disrespected you they'd ignore you completely, as being beneath them.  I'm joining the discussion on your thread.  I never promised I'd agree with everything everybody says about everything.  I just promised that, if I disagree, I'd do so politely, convivially and try to back up my opposing view with some facts, statistics or observations.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:15 pm

International I was hoping to read your comments about VP.

He is going to get a chance to play more minutes.  You are the one to bring him to our attention before Boston signed him.  Same with Theis.  Now you are ready to abandon us.  No flip* way.

Your depth of knowledge is needed on this forum.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:33 pm

International, you are a necessary and important voice for us to hear. Please keep sharing your views!!!! W
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down