so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season?

+7
dboss
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
dbrown4
k_j_88
gyso
kdp59
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season? Empty so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season?

Post by kdp59 Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 am

I think both Green and Waters played well enough to earn roster spots in the games I watched. Obviously I feel Edwards has a spot locked up.

I know Waters is on a 2 way now and we have a glut of guards, however the kid knows how to play on both ends ( his size will always be a problem on defense in the NBA however).

will they keep him over Wanamaker?

I doubt it, but I would have to seriously consider it. IF Waters stays on a 2 way, I would bet he gets a guaranteed deal with a big club next season somewhere.

Green earned a spot over Strus as well, IMO. I don;t know that Strus did enough to beat our Semi for the other roster spot though.

which I guess leads me to should The team keep both Green and Waters and let Semi go over Wanamaker?

seems doubtful to me with our lack of size already to be honest, but I guess it could happen.

anyhow for me, Edwards, Green and Waters all EARNED roster spots in the pre-season.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season? Empty Re: so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season?

Post by gyso Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 am

Semi Ojeleye hasn't given me a reason to keep him, but I'm not Brad Stevens. Perhaps Semi's D keeps him on the roster, but to me, he is useless on the other end.

I just keep hoping that Semi's shots go in, his drives into the lane are successful, but he usually comes up short, looking bad in the process.

Back to top Go down

so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season? Empty Re: so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season?

Post by k_j_88 Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:07 am

Semi is in year 3 with no significant strides made. I like his defense but his offense has never developed. He misses outside shots and is rather ineffective finishing at the rim.

I think his time may be up.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 am

When is the final cut?  I'm guessing they have to be down to 15 by next Tuesday or Wednesday?  

db

P.S. Looks like Tuesday @ 5PM.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 am

We don’t need Semi and Wanamaker, they got beat out by GWill and Waters IMHO. Waters showed he belongs, he toasted Sexton all night, he and CE were shockingly great. Jeez what a deep backcourt we have suddenly, we have so many shooters and distributors now.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 am

With the loss of Horford Semi is the only player we have that has even a shot at preventing Giannis from going hog wild, and the path to the Finals goes through Milwaukee (and Philly).  All other things being equal I'd cut Semi, he's not impressing me, but they aren't.  Let's see Brad throw GWill against Giannis once or twice and then we'll have a better idea of Semi's value but right now we don't, and that's one of the bad things about having a team as young as ours.  There are so many unknowns to start the season.

I like Wanamaker for a roster spot more than flavor-du-jour Tremont Waters.  I'm not saying he's as fast, he's not.  I'm not saying he's as sneaky, he's not.  He certainly isn't as flashy and as entertaining to watch as Waters.  But he is very steady, very experienced and our 2nd unit is very young and inexperienced.  Wanamaker has shown he can hang with high quality players, both in the NBA and in Europe.  Tremont Waters has just shown he can have a good game against a team that could be the worst in the league this year.  He hasn't even shown he can do it twice, yet.

There's no need to cut Brad Wanamaker to keep Waters, he's already on a two-way.  Let him show he can do this every game in Maine against, admittedly, weaker opponents and then we'll see.  Also, giving Wanamaker minutes in Boston showcases him as part of a future trade package.

I see this as being about Semi vs Green vs Strus not Wanamaker vs Waters.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Bob nobody stops Giannis as you know, Semi laid a body on him and made him work, did a good job staying in front of him. GWill is built close enough to Semi and could press on him in a similar enough manner IMHO. GWill has old man strength and can carve out space with anybody.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:29 pm

If the battle for the last spot is between Green and Strus, I think that Green won that battle and it is not even close.

I also do not think Boston will be cutting any of their so-called Power Forwards as that position looks weak IMO.

Tremont Waters actually looks more like a guy who deserves a full time roster spot.  Carsen Edwards is not the type of PG that can run an offense.  He is a flat out shooter.  The veteran Wannamaker is solid, albeit unspectacular but he remains a safe bet not to screw things up.  Waters has shown me enough skills that I think he could be our 3rd string PG at some point with a bit more seasoning.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Boston
Tatum
Walker
Smart
Hayward
Brown
Kanter
Theis
R Williams
Edwards
G Williams
Wanamaker
Poirier
Ojeleye
Green
15 Open

Maine
Fall
Langford
Waters
Strus
Maten

Gone
Gates
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Langford has to be on the 15 man squad even if he plays in ME sometimes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm

When I look at Olejeye, I wonder why he does not decide to take the ball right through a defender's chest and get to the rim a whole lot more. He is a brute and yet doesn't seem to use the physical tools that he has.

Standing on the outside, shooting poorly from 3 and then just standing out there because his teammates don't want to pass him the ball (no trust) must be improved upon from my perspective.

If he is quick enough to play NBA defense, he has to be quick enough to blast forward and challenge his defender to prevent him from getting layups. If he fouls a few times at least the defender had to man up and sacrifice his body, and if he gets fouled he at least shoots free throws. And, even if he is not a great free throw shooter by drawing fouls he may cause an opponent to the bench while putting the Cs closer to the penalty shot each quarter.

I just do not see this guy staying very long in Boston if he is unable to generate some additional offense when he is on the court. A third year guy has got to figure out a way to make himself better, and so far he has not shown me much improvement to the point that Ainge may replace him with the first available power forward that may shake loose when the rosters get down to 15 before the first games next week.

He will not likely lose his roster spot to Strus or Green because they are both guards, but if either of these two guys were 6"10 Semi might be gone already.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:36 pm

wideclyde wrote:When I look at Olejeye, I wonder why he does not decide to take the ball right through a defender's chest and get to the rim a whole lot more.  He is a brute and yet doesn't seem to use the physical tools that he has.

Standing on the outside, shooting poorly from 3 and then just standing out there because  his teammates don't want to pass him the ball (no trust) must be improved upon from my perspective.

If he is quick enough to play NBA defense, he has to be quick enough to blast forward and challenge his defender to prevent him from getting layups.  If he fouls a few times at least the defender had to man up and sacrifice his body, and if he gets fouled he at least shoots free throws. And, even if he is not a great free throw shooter by drawing fouls he may cause an opponent to the bench while putting the Cs closer to the penalty shot each quarter.

I just do not see this guy staying very long in Boston if he is unable to generate some additional offense when he is on the court.  A third year guy has got to figure out a way to make himself better, and so far he has not shown me much improvement to the point that Ainge may replace him with the first available power forward that may shake loose when the rosters get down to 15 before the first games next week.

He will not likely lose his roster spot to Strus or Green because they are both guards, but if either of these two guys were 6"10 Semi might be gone already.
Agreed offensive moves that GWill does naturally, Semi doesn’t even have them in his repitoire. I don’t want to pick on him, because we’ve all been rooting for him, but with a body like that you’d think he would have a lot more scoring ability inside the paint.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Semi has a better handle and is getting to the rim.  Finishing however is not something he has mastered.  His outside shot is still hit or miss, mostly miss and I do not see a long term situation for him in Boston.

His ability to defend is the one thing he does well.  That is why he is on the team given the prospects of having Hayward or Tatum bang with those big and physical PF in the East and in the league.

He is a defensive guy playing a position stocked with a bunch of tweeners including himself.

Until rookie Grant Williams proves capable of defending his position against PF's in the NBA we are probably stuck with Semi.

Ainge will address this issue one of these days.  In the meantime my expectations for Semi are for him to play hard defense and keep working to improve his offense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 pm

dboss wrote:Semi has a better handle and is getting to the rim.  Finishing however is not something he has mastered.  His outside shot is still hit or miss, mostly miss and I do not see a long term situation for him in Boston.

His ability to defend is the one thing he does well.  That is why he is on the team given the prospects of having Hayward or Tatum bang with those big and physical PF in the East and in the league.

He is a defensive guy playing a position stocked with a bunch of tweeners including himself.

Until rookie Grant Williams proves capable of defending his position against PF's in the NBA we are probably stuck with Semi.

Ainge will address this issue one of these days.  In the meantime my expectations for Semi are for him to play hard defense and keep working to improve his offense.
In a small sample size, I’ve seen spin moves, mid range post moves, and scoring in traffic easily at the rim by GWill, for whatever reason I’ve never seen Semi do that....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:12 am

I have a solution for this and the Jaylen Brown contract issue!

it also involves the Celtics getting a guy I think Ainge should be  trying to get here.

Boston trades

J. Brown
Semi
Wanamaker

to

Indiana

for

D. Sabonis
Justin Holiday

I'll keep trying to get another NBA big man here.

my other one (roundly panned here earlier)

Brown and the Grizzlies pick

for Jaren Jackson Jr

either one works for me!!

finally a "lessser" deal

Waters and Semi to The Kings for
Harry Giles

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 am

Eye test wise I agree on Semi but his 2 point shot percent actually went up a lot last year. He drove the lane and finished with a nice up and under the other night. Too bad he’s stuck at 31% on 3s.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/boston-celtics-rumors-2019-javonte-green-likely-to-earn-last-roster-spot-over-max-strus-report.html

Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Javonte Green likely to earn last roster spot over Max Strus (report)

Updated 11:07 AM; Today 11:02 AM

so....who earned a roster spot in pre-season? FWAOICFRW5GNJCIXCMKVGRCD6U
Javonte Green, Boston Celtics. Ethan Miller/Getty Images

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

Boston Celtics guard Javonte Green is the likely winner the team’s final roster spot, according to the Athletic’s Shams Charania.

Green was in competition with former DePaul wing Max Strus. Green and Strus are two very different players -- Green is a rugged, athletic defender, while Strus is an excellent shooter -- but both showed plenty of promise during the preseason.

Green, however, has impressed the Celtics since Summer League. Both on and off the ball, his defense is excellent, and he has shown flashes of an offensive game that could be useful -- slashing to the rim, finding crevices in the defense, and even spotting up behind the 3-point line from time to time.

Neither Green nor Strus is likely to get much playing time this season, but the final roster spot comes with significant perks, including a minimum contract instead of a G-League deal. If Strus doesn’t make the team, he will have an opportunity to play for the Maine Red Claws, unless another team makes him an offer.

Strus was signed to a two-way deal immediately after the draft, but the Celtics gave that spot to Tacko Fall, bumping Strus’ contract up to a partially guaranteed deal. Presumably, that guarantee was to ensure the team did right by Strus after cutting him.

bob
MY NOTE:  Going 16-20 in the preseason probably didn't hurt neither.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:00 pm

so Semi will make the roster also then?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:02 pm

He earned it. Hope he gets some PT! Those percentages are hard to beat at anytime!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm

Figured Green would get it over Strus after the last couple of games. Happy to see his hard work pay off if it does happen.

I think Green is the better fit to round out the roster, with a much more varied offensive skill set.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Green could be very useful off the bench in an uptempo game.  I know our Top pick wants to get minutes but Green right now is more NBA ready.

Never hurts to have another guard with athletic skills who knows how to get to and finish at the rim.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:24 pm

dboss wrote:Green could be very useful off the bench in an uptempo game.  I know our Top pick wants to get minutes but Green right now is more NBA ready.

Never hurts to have another guard with athletic skills who knows how to get to and finish at the rim.

dboss,

Right now it looks like our top pick, Langford, will have plenty of competition and a real struggle if he wants to earn any minutes at all. He may very well find himself in Maine for a while.

When you think about it, that is a very good situation for this team.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:39 pm

NYCelt

Romeo has no pressure on him. He can work on his shooting and get some games in ME.

There are only 13 active roster spots available. Brad will be rotating guys on and off of the active roster list all year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Celts have waived gates and Strus and some other guy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Saw that. I' m a little surprised about Strus, but Green's athleticism and versatility won the job.Seems like everybody but me saw that coming.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next