Why Celtics Improved Jaylen Brown Contract Offer At Last Minute

2 posters

Go down

Why Celtics Improved Jaylen Brown Contract Offer At Last Minute  Empty Why Celtics Improved Jaylen Brown Contract Offer At Last Minute

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:33 pm

https://nesn.com/2019/10/nba-rumors-why-celtics-improved-jaylen-brown-contract-offer-at-last-minute/

NBA Rumors: Why Celtics Improved Jaylen Brown Contract Offer At Last Minute

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard

on Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 6:06PM

The Boston Celtics might have missed their deadline to sign Jaylen Brown to a new contract if not for Buddy Hield.

The contract extension the Sacramento Kings guard agreed to sign with his team Monday prompted Celtics officials to improve their offer to Brown just before the 6 p.m. ET deadline to ink him to new terms, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported Thursday on the “Lowe Post podcast.” Immediately after reports of Hield’s four-year, $106 million deal emerged, the Celtics concluded the market was shifting and pitched a new, four-year, $115 million offer to Brown, which he happily accepted.

“Boston may have had a number that was going to do it for Jaylen Brown all along, but from what I was hearing, Boston improved their offer significantly at the end of negotiations,” Windhorst said, per MassLive’s John Karalis. “One of the reasons I think they did that is because … They saw the way things were going. If Buddy Hield gets this, then our guy’s… So.”

The Celtics selected Brown with the third overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, and he has averaged 11.2 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 24.4 minutes per game during his career.

Although those modest numbers suggest Boston might have overpaid for his services, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge confirmed Thursday on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich” show the team is “betting on” the 23-year-old to improve in the future and for salaries around the NBA to continue growing.

Chances are that’s a bet the Celtics wouldn’t have made without first seeing Hield’s telling contract terms.

bob
MY NOTE:  It's not my money, easy for me to say, and I'm not a cap wizard like Mike Zarren but I'm just glad we didn't head into next season and give Pop a shot at him.  Might he get traded?  Sure.  I doubt it but he isn't called Trader Danny for nothing, but he's ours unless and until such a time that a better offer comes along like, say, KAT?  If you don't think Danny will almost go-for-broke (meaning maybe not Tatum and maybe not Kemba) to get Towns you're nuts.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Celtics Improved Jaylen Brown Contract Offer At Last Minute  Empty Re: Why Celtics Improved Jaylen Brown Contract Offer At Last Minute

Post by tardust Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 pm

If KAT plays like he did last night very often I don't think we have enough to get him. I wish he had tried last year.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down