Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20

5 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:23 am

Missed the game. One of the biggest games of the year and I missed it. Damn. It started at 10pm Argentina time and I'm not much of a night owl.

We have now lost 6 of our last 8, I believe.

The boxscore says Hayward was 1-10, 1-9 from 3. I'd love to hear someone who watched the game explain why he didn't take more shots from 2 (or fewer shots from 3).

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161257

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:08 am

We played like shit from the first quarter on, terrible execution GH and Tatum doing nothing and us shooting so many casual too many 3’s. Bucks built a big lead, they were on fire from 3. Then somehow, maybe we caught lulled them into too much comfort with the easiness of them building that 27 point lead, we came back slowly, kind of strangely and ugly, mostly all behind Kemba and Smart. Miraculously we got it down to single digits before boneheaded Brad went small again and we couldn’t board or protect the paint to save our life as they built it back to 20. Then Brad went back to more traditional and we got it all the way down to 6 a couple times, but we couldn’t overcome the terrible start and coaching. FIrst half was so frighten bad, looked like a practice game with a scout team, us just hoisting, bricking 3 after 3 after 3 to get us in a 27 point hole.

Having said all that, if this team could ever get healthy, starting to think RWill is a bust, Fragile Lord, now Tatum is limping, maybe we need more load management...??? Oh yeah was saying if this team could ever get healthy, we could be pretty good. This training staff must not be as good as we all thought, a bug/virus has been around and around, every athlete has to be trained different, why are we going thru so many injuries. Are they overtraining certain things, I understand we want faster, stronger, more explosive, how about a lot more preventive maintenance  before the injury?

Well if, if if, we can play with these guys if.....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Bucks, Away 1/16/20

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

bobheckler wrote:Missed the game.  One of the biggest games of the year and I missed it.  Damn.  It started at 10pm Argentina time and I'm not much of a night owl.

We have now lost 6 of our last 8, I believe.

The boxscore says Hayward was 1-10, 1-9 from 3.  I'd love to hear someone who watched the game explain why he didn't take more shots from 2 (or fewer shots from 3).

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161257

bob

Bob the whole team was taking nonchalant 3’s not doing anything else as we were giving them a 27 point lead, it was sickening and almost unbearable to watch....brick after brick after brick. Really Brad, never seen anything like that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 am

Kemba carried us on offense and got strong support from Marcus.  Tatum did not play well and Hayward put up a 1-10 night.  1-9 from three tells his story.  He is at his best when he gets to the rack.

Theis played very well had a double double.

We missed Jaylen especially on defense.

The big take from this is that the Bucks have more fire power with George Hill and Koever coming off the bench than we do.  

Danny must add a shooter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:18 am

dboss wrote:Kemba carried us on offense and got strong support from Marcus.  Tatum did not play well and Hayward put up a 1-10 night.  1-9 from three tells his story.  He is at his best when he gets to the rack.

Theis played very well had a double double.

We missed Jaylen especially on defense.

The big take from this is that the Bucks have more fire power with George Hill and Koever coming off the bench than we do.  

Danny must add a shooter.

Well if 2 J’s go for 30 each, we woulda won.

If 2 J’s go for 30 each in any game against anybody, we will win.....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 am

This was a tough game to watch.  There were limited comments on our game on thread most of which reflected exasperation.  

But our guys fought back and were somehow able to make it a 2 possession game with 38 seconds remaining 123-127.

Smart missed a 3 that would have  cut it to one and Middleton made 1-2 from the line after getting fouled.

Think about that. If Smart makes that shot and with Middleton's  1-2, we have the ball with 5 seconds needing a 2 to tie the game.

Coming back from a 27 point deficit is no small accomplishment.   I do hope that this makes everyone feel a little better.  Maybe Boston learns a lesson.  They can beat any team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:32 am

Cow the Celtics cannot depend on the J's every game.  This team is not built around two guys who just happen to be pretty damn good.

Every guy that checks in has to do their Job whatever it may be.  We thought Carsen could be that explosive scorer off the bench for us but he is not there yet.  Danny needs to add a shooter if he wants to make a deep run.

RW needs to get healthy and stay healthy.  

And Brad needs to add more options to the offense
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

Good - Digging ourselves out of a 27-point deficit against the best team in the league

Not So Good - Putting ourselves in that hole in the first place.

Good/Great - Kemba and Marcus showing up

Not So Good - GH (points/shooting)and EK (rebounding or lack there of) mailing it in.

Good - 7 Block and 7 TO's against the best team in the league

Not So Good - 16 assists on 43 FGA's?! Sorry, Sam.

Overall, I'm impressed. Did not think we would win this one. Sans Jaylen definitely did not help much. I just didn't want to get blown out of the gym. With this game combined with our earlier victory this season against them, I honestly cannot definitively answer whether we are net 3 games better than MIL over last season. Still undecided. If I had to guess I would say we can/would take them 7 but to win G7, we'd have to get lucky. Don't want to see too many more if any more games lilke this where we have to dig ourselves out. We know how that eventually works out.

I'm sure this game will irk MIL and get in their heads way more than it will us. They could not close the door. Should have won by 50 given the start.

I don't know if this is enough to get Danny to move. We don't have a lot of options unless you're going to overhaul. Let see what happens Monday. If we win that one, DA definitely won't do anything.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 am

dboss wrote:Cow the Celtics cannot depend on the J's every game.  This team is not built around two guys who just happen to be pretty damn good.

Every guy that checks in has to do their Job whatever it may be.  We thought Carsen could be that explosive scorer off the bench for us but he is not there yet.  Danny needs to add a shooter if he wants to make a deep run.

RW needs to get healthy and stay healthy.  

And Brad needs to add more options to the offense

Sure they can and just not now, but soon, and it doesn’t have to be 30 exactly for each. I have a lot more confidence in their future abilities then Fragile Lord, the wounded duckie. Pippen and Jordan did not actually put up 30 together all that often, but obviously whenever they did, they were unbeatable, so as long as those guys are healthy, spry and energetic, which they were very much for awhile after that Knick game and now their both off lately due to alot of factors, one being they are still very young. Pippen at 21 was still in college, then his first few years he was a skinny twig. At this point give them load management if needed, so we don’t overburden their frames.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:07 pm

We have 2 shooters in place. That kid in Milwaukee Divencenzo wasn’t getting minutes last year, his rookie year either, now he lighting it up. I’m confident at this time next year CE and Tremont Waters will make a jump, Tremont might even be ready right now as he can definitely contribute and can do a lot more than just shoot 3’s.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Cow

We are of course talking about the present and not the future.  Right now they are not elite players and so they cannot be expected to carry the team game in and game out.  That is the point I was making.  All the other guys have to play well for us to have  chance to win.

The J's are still in a developmental stage of their careers.  They are both 20 PPG scorers and excellent rebounders.  They both play defense.  But there is another level for them to reach in everything that they do.

They are not good enough YET to carry this team by themselves without substantial contributions from other players.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:We have 2 shooters in place. That kid in Milwaukee Divencenzo wasn’t getting minutes last year, his rookie year either, now he lighting it up. I’m confident at this time next year CE and Tremont Waters will make a jump, Tremont might even be ready right now as he can definitely contribute and can do a lot more than just shoot 3’s.
Cow again you are talking about the future and I am talking about now.

We do not have a shooter off the bench that is reliable right now, today, the next game we play.

The Bucks have 2 veterans in Hill and Koever.  We cannot match the consistency of that fire power.   I like Waters a lot but he is not ready yet.  Neither is CE and neither is Langford.  Rookies rarely give you what veterans can (Hill and Koever)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Right dboss, good pieces are in place, unfortunately we just have to be patient, we will only be better and stronger versions of ourselves in the coming years. Danny has the worst luck drafting bigs, as much as I like GWill, maybe Gafford would have been the better pick. RWill’s career sure isn’t getting off to a good start and he came in with some leg issues....we need a bigger 6’11” version of Theis, he doesn’t need to score just stay on the floor and do the dirty work.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm

As shocked as I was by our 1st Q and by some of Brad's inscrutable coaching flubs, I did really enjoy the play of Theis, Kemba, and Marcus.  They really went after it even though Jayson, Gordon, and Enes were sleep walking. Yes, I love the 2 J's, but really, Marcus is our 2nd best player overall. I just love that guy. Kemba too. He is a for certain All Star. No question about it. Yes we NEED a big and yes we NEED an experienced shooter, someone like Gordon was supposed to be consistently. Gordon needs to visit a sports psychiatrist. Seriously. Jayson too. Both have talent but between the ears they are hindered. Marcus does not have so much talent as either of them and is smaller than both, but he outworks, out hustles, and out physicals every one else on our squad. Such heart. Plus he's become a good shooter.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down