Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death

+6
gyso
worcester
wideclyde
jrleftfoot
NYCelt
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death Empty Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death

Post by bobheckler Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm

MY NOTE:  I don't know if this is too political for this board, but it is news...

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/sports/celtics-jaylen-brown-organizes-peaceful-protest-in-wake-of-george-floyds-death/2134120/

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death

"If you don't speak up on these issues, you just as bad"

By Justin Leger • Published May 30, 2020 • Updated on May 30, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death Jaylen_brown-29

Jaylen Brown is one of the many Americans speaking out against the death of George Floyd and the racial injustices that remain prevalent in this country.

The Boston Celtics star has been outspoken about the issues over the last several days, and on Saturday he took to social media to organize a peaceful protest in Atlanta.

Jaylen Brown
✔
@FCHWPO
Meet at MLK memorial site 530-630 assembly time 📍

1:21 PM - May 30, 2020

Brown also posted an important video message urging those who witness acts of racism to speak up or act on it.

"Being a bystander is no longer acceptable," Brown said. "If you and your friends are around or are witnesses to cultural biases, micro-aggressions, subtle acts of racism, actual racism etc. and you don't speak up on it or do something about it, you are part of the problem. We're past the point where if it's not in your governance space so you have nothing to do with it. If you don't speak up on these issues, you just as bad."

Watch:

NBPA
✔
@TheNBPA
From Jaylen Brown (@FCHWPO). #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd

https://twitter.com/i/status/1266763025194811393
9:06 AM - May 30, 2020

In addition, the 23-year-old posted an Instagram photo of himself holding a sign that reads, "I can't breathe," referencing the words said by Floyd before he was killed by Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA1CIDwltO3/?utm_source=ig_embed

Along with Brown, several athletes including Tom Brady and members of the New England Patriots have used their platforms to speak up about George Floyd's death.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death Empty Re: Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death

Post by NYCelt Sun May 31, 2020 5:53 pm

Jaylen may help hang a banner, but I get the feeling he's going to go on to do much more important things.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death Empty Re: Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death

Post by bobheckler Sun May 31, 2020 6:47 pm

NYCelt wrote:Jaylen may help hang a banner, but I get the feeling he's going to go on to do much more important things.

NYCelt,

He's only 23.  When I was his age all I was thinking about was girls and how drunk could I get on my pittance of a salary.

Remember GMs were saying he might be "too smart" to be a basketball player?  The only reason he wasn't an All-Star this year is because Kemba and Jayson were, so they had to give some spots on the roster to Miami.

Jaylen Brown is an "old soul".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:05 am

Kanter and Smart joined demonstrations in Boston.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Yet another quality social effort by Mr. Brown.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 pm

Jaylen is one classy guy, and he expressed himself well on the issue. Kudos to him.

Believe it or not, kudos also to Dennis Rodman who said, "We're not f##&ng animals" then something like - we're all in this togethe and let's get along.

Less eloquent was JR Smith whom I watched in a video pummelling, kicking in the ribs , then walloping in the head some Antifa punk who had unwisely smashed the window of JR's Mercedes: "I whooped his ass."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:04 am

I wouldn't be so sure the guy was Antifa.Twitter just revealed that white suprecists set up an "Antifa " account calling for violence. I expect the supremacist groups , which have grown like wildfire in the last 3 and a half years, oddly enough, have people out in the streets too.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am

JR, I am no fan of white supremacist groups,and I have posted on their websites lengthy, convincing, and proper historical refutations of their pro-Nazi claims that the Holocaust was a hoax. Racism is a personal issue for me, having witnessed it first hand as a teacher in MS in 1968. So too is communist subversion, since half my family was imprisoned in Albanian communist re-education camps for 43 years after WW2, that after my two uncles were executed. There were very few white supremacists masquerading as antifa in the USA during these riots and many, many more actual violent antifa radicals. The video of the antifa punk smashing JR Smith's car made it clear this was no redneck in action. Just a misguided young leftist zealot for whom I hold the advice of Jesus in mind and heart: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am

Okay, let's leave social opinions out of this space.

Praising basketball players for walking the streets with peaceful demonstrators is one thing, but assuming and naming left-wing/right-wing instigators of violence as fact on this board is not allowed.

We all have our opinions as to this and that, but please take them elsewhere.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:27 pm

Jaylen is one classy, smart kid. We are lucky to have him here. He is the kind of quality player and human being that the Celtics love to have on their team.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm

A great young American.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:58 pm

worcester wrote:A great young American.

Agreed fine young man, could be this generations version of Havlicek or Satch Sanders, he wants to make a difference in this world.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Could be this generation's version of Ghandi.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm

I just pointed out a FACT. White supremacists were thrown off Twitter for putting up a fake ANTIFA account. Nothing further to say about the matter, since I have no insider info as to who trashed J.R .Smith's car. Coulda been one of his former teammates, for all I know.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 pm

I appreciated Michael Jordan's public statement on our current situation. The NBA is rich with truly good people. I also appreciated the leadership the NBA has shown with the Covid-19 epidemic. Looks like the season will resume in a safe, intelligent, and creative manner, and we all will be better off for it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:41 pm

I have not read Jordan’s remarks, but it is a good thing that he came out strongly. I will try to find it.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:39 pm

worcester wrote:Could be this generation's version of Ghandi.

could he play?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 pm

He was kind of small in stature, but strong in voice. A good point guard!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:56 am

Just a heads up about my family! My wife is pretty much the same with a very bad cough still! Maybe a little better! On Saturday we have had notice that riots will be planned for my town. Stores have already been boarded up including Marshalls. This will be the 2nd riot I have live through. The first being in 1967 when I was a little boy. My town was arguably the nicest town in NJ. It was called the "Queen City". Today, I am afraid to drive through most areas of my hometown. I just heard but not confirmed there are 5000 plus cases of Covid 19 there. May God help us all.

I hope Jaylen opens his minds and does a lot of reading including black intellectuals Dr. Thomas Sowell and Dr. Walter Williams and not just his college professors. Clearly Lebron has not.

This will be my last post here. I will still be checking the board from time to time
Thank you.
Bill
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:00 am

Bai he gu jin wan ...Lilium tea pills by Plum Flower Herbs...is my go to remedy for dry coughs. It moistens the lungs, restoring lung yin. For productive coughs tea with honey made from steeped fresh mulberry leaves works very well, my #1 choice. If you can't get fresh mulberry leaves, order Sang Ju pills which are based on mulberry. Also San She Dan liquid really helps clear phlegm, and it tastes good. You can order these remedies from Acupuncture Atlanta, and even Walmart carries Lilium Tea Pills online.

Please keep contributing to the site. You are a valuable member Jerzeyfan. BTW, I also benefit from the writings of Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams. Thanks fot recommending them.
W
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:58 am

I'm pretty sure Jaylen's mind is as open as Thomas Sowell. Could we please put this to bed?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:09 am

Sorry to hear about your wife, she has had a long haul. How is your daughter?

Don't stop dropping by, season picking up in a month or two, need opinions on our "new" NBA!!
Take care and hope that things finally turn around for you. I am still waiting myself for heart surgery, one day at a time, that is how I take it.

Be well

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 am

The Power of Now!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:51 am

Celtics’ Jaylen Brown Organizes Peaceful Protest in Wake of George Floyd’s Death 101271554_276964753434258_6083028569548710068_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.cdninstagram
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:03 am

+ 1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next