some trade options for big men

2 posters

Go down

some trade options for big men Empty some trade options for big men

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:29 am

or morning rambling thoughts of an NBA junkie!

Some possible trade options for the Celtics- Big men version

Starting from the highest salary:

R. Gobert – Utah ($28M) expiring. There are rumors that Utah may be willing to move him. More of an old school big man, but can move on defense more than most his size. Rebounding and shot blocking are his forte. May not fit with Stevens ideas of a big man, as he has no outside shot. Any possible trade would have to involve either Hayward or Kemba for salary purposes.

A. Horford- Phil ($28M)- 3 years left-final year has a $10M guarantee. Assuming they keep Embiid, one would think moving Horford would be an option. Actually played better last year than the preious two at Boston, despite many Boston fans calling him washed up. Fits Stevens System of course, but Likely not an option to come back here, IMO. Any trade would have to involve Hayward or Kemba for salary purposes.

S. Adams- Okl ( $27M ) expiring. OKC appears to be on board with a full rebuild now, so getting something for Adams expiring deal would make sense. Strong rebounder and interior defender, but the fit in Stevens system may not be the best. Same trade issues as the players above with his salary.

L. Aldridge- SA ($24M) expiring. SA will move him if they get an offer. Not really much chance Ainge would have any interest, as his age and lack of fit are major problems.

M. Turner- Ind ($18M)- 3 years left. Most know I have been touting a big trade with Hayward, R. Williams , #14 and #30 ( Indiana has no first this year) for Turner and Oladipo’s expiring deal. Turners age and game fits the Celtics timeline and game plan. Chance of a deal happening is small however.

A. Gordon- Orl ( $18M)- 2 years left. Is the high flying Gordon becoming another B. Griffin? There certainly seems to be some similarities to me. Hard to piece a deal together even if Orlando wants to move him . Brown…no thanks! Smart…..pass. That leaves piecing some salary’s together along with draft picks. I would note here that a Gordon and T. Ross for Hayward or Kemba deal works salary wise.

G. Dieng- Mem ($17M) expiring, Memphis got him last year from Minn who was happy to move his overpriced deal. I have no doubt Memphis would be happy to move his expiring deal, but the Celtic would have to send salary back. Frankly Dieng is closer to a vet min player than a $17M one.

C. Capela- Atl ( $16M)- 3 years left. I once had a dream of Ainge trading for J. Collins form Atl, but I was taken to the woodshed and brought to the reality that it would take Brown or Tatum to pry Collins away. So here is Capela. Very hard to piece the salaries together to make a deal work here, but something like Theis, Langford, #14 and #30 gets you there. Kanter opting IN and replacing Theis in the deal would be better to the Celtics of course. I am not sure Atlanta would take either offer though and instead would want Smart in any deal. That’s a hard no for me.

Most of the above are unlikely to be traded to the Celtics , IMO.

K. Olynyk –Mia ($13M) expiring. OK I have to admit I only put him here to see if Cowens reads this!

L. Nance-Clev ($11M)- 3 years left First real possible option, IMO. Drummond will opt in and Cleveland will have a hard time finding a trade partner for him or Love. IF they want to re-sign Thompson, that means Nance has to go. Like Theis an undersized big man, but does the dirty work and is a little better scorer than Theis. What type of deal would it take? Langford, R. Williams, #14 pick have a salary value around $9M which is enough to meet the cap rules.

D. Powell-Dal ( $11M)- 3 years left. Nance is the better player and a better fit as Powell has little outside game. Powell is bigger however, so we’ll put him here. Same salary range as Nance so it would likely take the same type deal.

N. Bjelica- Sac ( $7M ) expiring. Older player on an expiring deal, who the ings would likely be willing to move. Can do some nice things and could replace Kanter next season. Poirier and #14 would be enough salary wise, but is he enough of an upgrade to send that #14 pick for?

M. Bamba- Orl ( $6M)- 1 year with two additional option years. Vucuavic signed a big extension before last season and Bamba has played behind him since being drafted. There was talk when he was drafted that Ainge liked him then. As a Rim, running, shot blocking legit big man he fits the bill. Has yet to prove he can be a NBA starter though. I think Orlando might be willing to move him for the right deal. Would R. Williams and #14 pick be enough? Is Bamba better than R. Williams long term?

I should note in any trade scenarios where draft picks are used I assume a value of around $3.5M for #14, and around $1.5M for each of #25 and #30 picks. I also understand these deals cannot be official until after the draft typically.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

some trade options for big men Empty Re: some trade options for big men

Post by dboss Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:57 pm

kdp59 there are only a few on this list that may be had if we had the full MLE unless Danny is ready to break up the dance and trade a core guy.

It seems as though however we view things, they still revolve around what GH decides to do. There is little doubt in my mind that the Celtics would wish to keep him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down