my thoughts about various players for trade.

+10
Ktron
Vankisa
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
tjmakz
dbrown4
dboss
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
kdp59
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

my thoughts about various players for trade. - Page 2 Empty Re: my thoughts about various players for trade.

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:56 pm

So Jeff Goodman ? has thrown out a Brown for Beal trade right now. not a rumor just something he said he'd do.

perhaps playing in the rumors going around that Tatum and Brown may not be all that buddy /buddy I suppose.

lets see how Tatum and Beal play on the same team in the all-star extravaganza
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

my thoughts about various players for trade. - Page 2 Empty Re: my thoughts about various players for trade.

Post by dboss Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:38 pm

kdp59 wrote:So Jeff Goodman ? has thrown out a Brown for Beal trade right now. not a rumor just something he said he'd do.

perhaps playing in the rumors going around that  Tatum and Brown may not be all that buddy /buddy I suppose.

lets see how Tatum and Beal play on the same team in the all-star extravaganza

The Brown for Beal thing has been around for a while. Jeff Goodman is kinda dumb. There are things that we need but upgrading our shooting guard who can also play SF, sometime PF, etc. is not on the need to do list.

Jaylen and Jayson are openly supportive of one another. Just like any team that has 2-3 top end players they will have disagreements. These two are in campaign #4 together. They have been to battle together. They have a healthy competition between them and push each other. They are still experiencing growing pains both individually and collectively.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Reports are that the Celtics are not on Blake Griffin's list of teams he'd like to go to.

Fine by me.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:36 am

bobheckler wrote:Reports are that the Celtics are not on Blake Griffin's list of teams he'd like to go to.

Fine by me.

Bob

I am surprised he has a list of teams he wants to go. Is there a list of teams that want him Shocked ?

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Vankisa wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Reports are that the Celtics are not on Blake Griffin's list of teams he'd like to go to.

Fine by me.

Bob

I am surprised he has a list of teams he wants to go. Is there a list of teams that want him Shocked ?

Vankisa,

The teams Blake Griffin wants to go to is on the left.  
The teams that want Blake Griffin is on the right.

my thoughts about various players for trade. - Page 2 Two_circles_a

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 pm

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/03/05/rival-execs-dont-expect-celtics-to-take-big-swing-at-trade-deadline/

Rival execs don’t expect Celtics to take ‘big swing’ at trade deadline

March 5, 2021 Kenneth Teape Atlantic Division, Boston Celtics 0

my thoughts about various players for trade. - Page 2 Rival-execs-don_t-expect-Celtics-to-take-_big-swing_-at-trade-deadline
NBA Analysis Network

While the start of the season has been a difficult one for the Boston Celtics, they are heading into the All-Star break with some positive momentum. Boston is riding a four-game winning streak, pushing their record to 19-17 on the season.

Kemba Walker is beginning to find his form, which is helping take some pressure off of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum offensively. While that is a nice development, the team could use an upgrade around that core if they want to truly become contenders again in the Eastern Conference.

Boston would love to acquire a player such as Nikola Vucevic from the Orlando Magic. He would solve so many of their problems in the front-court and give the team another bonafide All-Star to round out their core. They could also try swinging a trade for Zach LaVine, another All-Star with the Chicago Bulls.

However, rival executives don’t expect that to happen. Instead, they expect the Celtics to make a smaller move to help round out their roster. Tom Haberstroh of TrueHoop delivered the scoop.

“For the Celtics, a player like Sacramento reserve big man Nemanja Bjelica might be a better fit,” TrueHoop’s Tom Haberstroh wrote. “The 6-foot-10 Serbian would fit in nicely as a dynamic big man who can shoot and move the ball. Is he Nikola Vucevic? No, but he would be far less costly. Rival executives don’t expect Boston president of basketball operations Danny Ainge to make a big swing at the deadline. Said one Eastern Conference GM: ‘That’s not Danny’s style.’ The wiser bet is that Boston makes a minor move up front now that Kemba Walker is rounding into form.”

Haberstroh is correct in his assessment of Ainge. The Celtics’ general manager has taken the blame for the team’s shortcomings this season and has said Boston has been close on some trades. Close seems to always be the outcome when it comes to swinging big trades, as Boston was always in the running when star players became available via trade, but were never able to seal the deal.

As long as Walker, Tatum, and Brown are getting it done offensively, the Celtics can be competitive in the Eastern Conference. That is a strong trio, but they will need some help if they are to truly have a chance at knocking off the Philadelphia 76ers or Brooklyn Nets come playoff time.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Danny has pulled the trigger on big trades, Ray Allen and KG are the obvious, but he has also sat pat at the trade deadline when most of us expected at least some fireworks coming out of Celtic headquarters.  Bottom line is that I have no freaking idea what Danny is or is not thinking and every time I think I do he proves me wrong.  One of the very few things I think I can say, and can back up, is that Danny swings for the fences when a big-name, big-time player becomes available (e.g. In addition to the two cited above there's also Kyrie Irving.  Regardless of whether that was a good trade or not Kyrie was/is a superstar and when he became available Danny went for it) but that otherwise any lesser trades he makes may not be the final ones.  He has shown, repeatedly, over the course of almost 2 decades now, that he will trade for a player that he knows he's going to end up flipping in the future to another team who has who he really wants.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:26 pm

I've been contemplating the idea of bring Horford back from OKC.

I keep looking at Thompson and can't help but think that Horford is a better player in our system than Thompson is.

Horford's salary being 3 times what Thompson is of course weighs on it a lot. Horford at $27 , Thompson at $9M.

comparing Horford and Thompson so far this year:

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=horfoal01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=thomptr01&p2yrfrom=2021

I wonder though if OKC would be willing to add one of their many future first round picks they have acquired already.

here is a list of their coming first round picks.

2021 - Own and MIA if HOU 1-4; or two most favorable of OKC, MIA and HOU 5-30 and least favorable to HOU (via MIA to PHX to PHL to LAC to OKC; via OKC swap of OKC or MIA for HOU) [may be swapped by HOU for BRK]; GOS 21-30

2022 - 1-14 Own; 15-30 to ATL; LAC; PHX 13-30

2023 - Own or swap for LAC; PHX 11-30 if not already settled; DEN 15-30; MIA 15-30 (via LAC)

2024 - Own; PHX 9-30 if not already settled; DEN 15-30 if not already settled; MIA 15-30 (via LAC) if not already settled; HOU 5-30; LAC

2025 - Own or swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; more favorable of (i) BRK and (ii) less favorable of OKC and HOU 11-30 to HOU; and least favorable of OKC, HOU 11-30 and BRK to BRK if HOU 11-30 is more favorable than LAC (via OKC swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; via HOU swap of HOU or OKC for BRK); PHX if not already settled; DEN 15-30 if not already settled; MIA 15-30 (via LAC) if not already settled; PHL 7-30

2026 - Own; MIA (via LAC) if not already settled; PHL 5-30 if not already settled; HOU 5-30; LAC

2027 - Own; PHL 5-30 if not already settled

the Phoenix pick in particular has interest to me the protections drop each year until 2025 when it is unprotected.

They obviously have more picks than they will end up using, so IF Ainge can get a future first back in a Thompson for Horford trade....should he look at it?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:28 pm

The Nets continue to be the hot rumored destination for Blake Griffin.

I'm going to venture a guess no Celtic moves for the remainder of the season. My gut and crystal ball both say Danny, Brad and especially ownership will want to see what they have when everyone finally hits the court together.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:05 pm

kdp59 wrote:I've been contemplating the idea of bring Horford back from OKC.

I keep looking at  Thompson and can't help but think that Horford is a better player in our system than Thompson is.

Horford's salary being 3 times what Thompson is of course weighs on it a lot. Horford at $27 , Thompson at $9M.

comparing Horford and Thompson so far this year:

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=horfoal01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=thomptr01&p2yrfrom=2021

I wonder though if OKC would be willing to add one of their many future first round picks they have acquired already.

here is a list of their coming first round picks.

2021 - Own and MIA if HOU 1-4; or two most favorable of OKC, MIA and HOU 5-30 and least favorable to HOU (via MIA to PHX to PHL to LAC to OKC; via OKC swap of OKC or MIA for HOU) [may be swapped by HOU for BRK]; GOS 21-30

2022 - 1-14 Own; 15-30 to ATL; LAC; PHX 13-30

2023 - Own or swap for LAC; PHX 11-30 if not already settled; DEN 15-30; MIA 15-30 (via LAC)

2024 - Own; PHX 9-30 if not already settled; DEN 15-30 if not already settled; MIA 15-30 (via LAC) if not already settled; HOU 5-30; LAC

2025 - Own or swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; more favorable of (i) BRK and (ii) less favorable of OKC and HOU 11-30 to HOU; and least favorable of OKC, HOU 11-30 and BRK to BRK if HOU 11-30 is more favorable than LAC (via OKC swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; via HOU swap of HOU or OKC for BRK); PHX if not already settled; DEN 15-30 if not already settled; MIA 15-30 (via LAC) if not already settled; PHL 7-30

2026 - Own; MIA (via LAC) if not already settled; PHL 5-30 if not already settled; HOU 5-30; LAC

2027 - Own; PHL 5-30 if not already settled

the  Phoenix pick in particular has interest  to me the protections drop each year until 2025 when it is unprotected.

They obviously have more picks than they will end up using, so IF Ainge can get a future first back in a Thompson for Horford trade....should he look at it?

Kdp,

OKC is already a little below the salary floor.
If they lost $18m in your hypothetical Boston trade, they would then have to add back $18m.
It doesn’t make sense for them to give up a pick to reduce salary.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:57 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Vankisa wrote:

Fine by me.

Bob

Vankisa,

The teams Blake Griffin wants to go to is on the left.  
The teams that want Blake Griffin is on the right.

my thoughts about various players for trade. - Page 2 Two_circles_a

Bob

Well my meaning was slightly different so I fixed that image for you Smile

my thoughts about various players for trade. - Page 2 Two_ci10

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:17 pm

This colossal BKN train wreck is going to be the greatest thing that ever happened to the NBA. Picking up desperate for a championship Griffin will only add to the explosion. It will show you exactly what NOT to do, ever. Please take Griffin, BKN! I'm begging you!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:18 pm

dbrown4 wrote:This colossal BKN train wreck is going to be the greatest thing that ever happened to the NBA.  Picking up desperate for a championship Griffin will only add to the explosion.  It will show you exactly what NOT to do, ever.  Please take Griffin, BKN!  I'm begging you!!  

db

D - I wish BKN were a train wreck, but they actually seem like a good possibility to come out of the east. Harden is proving everyone wrong with 11+ assists per night. Durant is still Durant despite the Achilles injury. And Kyrie is not only playing some great ball, but also saying the right things. Honestly, I wouldn't want to face them come playoff time.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Larry Nance rumors seem to be gaining steam. Don't know much about him, but it doesn't seem he'd move the needle. What do you all think?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:00 am

Don't forget that Danny also signed Gordon Hayward and Kemba.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:Larry Nance rumors seem to be gaining steam. Don't know much about him, but it doesn't seem he'd move the needle. What do you all think?

true PF type even though he is only about 6-7 or so. I think it would depend on what it costs Ainge to get him (besides part of the TPE).

Pluses are he would keep the team under the tax line even if no other salary moved out ( yes I know they'd need to move someone for the roster spot).

He would probably solidify Brad's regular rotations more ( Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Smart, Thompson, Theis, Nance, Rob W., Pritchard)

Nance is under contract for two more years after this one at declining salary ( 10.6M, 9.6M)

he's become a pretty good 3 pt shooter and can rebound some, plays solid defense from what i can tell. he is not a rim protecter and is an average FT shooter at best.

so IMO, Nance does move the needle a little bit, by moving players like Grant and Semi out of the regular rotations , Ainge also gets a rotational player under contract to 2 additional years at a good salary.

But of course if they have to send a rotational player back, then we're pretty much standing pat to me.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:44 pm

kdp59 wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:Larry Nance rumors seem to be gaining steam. Don't know much about him, but it doesn't seem he'd move the needle. What do you all think?

true PF type even though he is only about 6-7 or so. I think it would depend on what it costs Ainge to get him (besides part of the TPE).

Pluses are he would keep the team under the tax line even if no other salary moved out ( yes I know they'd need to move someone for the roster spot).

He would probably solidify Brad's regular rotations more ( Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Smart, Thompson, Theis,  Nance, Rob W., Pritchard)

Nance is under contract for two more years after this one at declining salary ( 10.6M, 9.6M)

he's become a pretty good 3 pt shooter and can rebound some, plays solid defense from what i can tell. he is not a rim protecter and is an average FT shooter at best.

so IMO, Nance does move the needle a little bit, by moving players like Grant and Semi out of the regular rotations , Ainge also gets a rotational player under contract to 2 additional years at a good salary.

But of course if they have to send a rotational player back, then we're pretty much standing pat to me.

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. Your points make a lot of sense.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:02 am

kdp59 wrote:

He would probably solidify Brad's regular rotations more ( Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Smart, Thompson, Theis,  Nance, Rob W., Pritchard)

Good summary. I agree with your thinking.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm

kdp59 wrote:

kdp,

For the most part I agree with your thoughts.  The last line, "But of course if they have to send a rotational player back, then we're pretty much standing pat to me." is not necessarily true unless your roster is evenly balanced.  If, however, you are thin at PF (like we are) but have two undersized smallball 5s (i.e. GWill and Semi, both rotation players) then losing one of them to gain where you are thin makes sense.  Same thing might be said for trading a player like Javonte Green for a more prolific wing scorer.  Then there's the contract considerations.  Larry Nance Jr is under contract until 2022-2023.  That's a long-term asset, long-term salary lock.  Expiring contracts, like Semi's, have their value as do players that are locked in for additional years.  Being able to project forward your team's salary, and what the implications are for paying the luxury tax, makes trading for them more attractive if Brad can up their game, like he did with Evan Turner and IT and Crowder.  Nance is 6'7", 245#.  That makes him taller and heavier than either Semi or Grant, at least by a little.

Also, never assume a Trader Danny deal involving a player is the last one.  There's a reason for why he calls every single GM in the league at least once per month, it's to gauge the then-current feelings of those GMs towards various players, both on their teams and not, including players Danny doesn't have...yet...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:28 pm

If Danny is just nibbling around the edges he could add a guy like Nance.

If you believe that a 3 wing lineup combined with a PG and one big in the middle is the best fit for Brad Stevens then you miss GH.

Barnes would still be on the top of my wish list, followed by Aaron Gordon. Those two would be long term starters.

If we want a scorer off the bench that should be Danny's focus. If we want to replace GH then you have to do a bigger trade.

Nemanja Bjelica was mentioned and he would fit into the tweak category and he could help us better than Semi or Grant.

The ownership has already set expectations. The big TPE probably will not be used until the off season. There has not been enough time to really evaluate the team this year because so many guys have not played a lot together and I think this weighs heavy on the mind on Mr. Ainge.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:23 pm

I'm beginning to think that my A. Gordon trade for Theis, Teague and a future first simply will not be enough to get him. As I read more trade rumors it seems other teams may be hotter on Gordon than that deal would allow (see Minny).

Barnes is certainly a better player than Nance jr. But the salary must be considered also. IF neither player will really give us a shot to come out of the east  this year, is the extra salary and the Taxpaying penalty for Barnes worth it?

of course I suppose one could argue is ANY deal worth it this year, IF we can't really compete against the nets this season.

I think Bkn will be adding more than just Blake for vet minimum this season and they may be Miami north before all is said and done.

Last edited by kdp59 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:44 pm

Re: Al Horford opts out; to become free agent
Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:34 pm

If Boston had the CAP space as a result of AH gone I would like to see them go after

Nikola Vucevic. 20 PPG and 12 rebound and 3.8 assists. They would still need to add a beast at PF.

I maintain that Boston should have signed Vuc back in 2019.  I think that opportunity slipped past Danny.  It aggravates me that we are seeing his name pop up in trade rumors because he could have been signed as a UFA.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:01 pm

dboss wrote:Re: Al Horford opts out; to become free agent
Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:34 pm

If Boston had the CAP space as a result of AH gone I would like to see them go after

Nikola Vucevic. 20 PPG and 12 rebound and 3.8 assists. They would still need to add a beast at PF.

I maintain that Boston should have signed Vuc back in 2019.  I think that opportunity slipped past Danny.  It aggravates me that we are seeing his name pop up in trade rumors because he could have been signed as a UFA.

I'm not sure Boston had the cap space, because they brought in Kemba under a sign and trade . we ended up re-signing Rozier in a sign and trade to Charlotte. I believe that's how Boston got Kemba under his max deal, it was a trade with Rozier going out.

but I do think Ainge COULD have signed Vucevic, IF he renounced Rozier first. it appears the cap space would have been there for Vuc then.

of course we would have had a big void at PG also in that case with the MLE (which was used for kanter) as the only means to add a PG.

Coulda= yes it seems so

Woulda= Ainge didn't

Shoulda= that's why we all discuss this stuff...LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:09 pm

to put even more fuel on your fire of 2019:

here are some of the UFA Pgs who were signed for UNDER the 2year $4.7M MLE that Ainge used for Kanter

A. Bradley

TJ McConnell

I. Thomas

A. Rivers

and last but not least........

R. Rondo

so Ainge could have had Vucevic and Rondo in 2019 ( in theory at least).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:11 pm

I have petitioned Danny for years to sign Vuc, but my pleas have gone unheeded.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:38 pm

worcester wrote:I have petitioned Danny for years to sign Vuc, but my pleas have gone unheeded.

Danny hears you but he is just not listening.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next