Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play

+14
worcester
Vankisa
sinus007
BingBang!
atcross
Shamrock1000
dbrown4
Ktron
bobheckler
dboss
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
birnam
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play - Page 2 Empty Re: Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:03 pm

dboss wrote:I saw that and came to the realization that Danny knows he cannot fix the team he assembled quickly.  

7 years ago, he promised to get this team built to the level of a championship contender in 5 years.  The reality as I mentioned before is that he probably set us back at least two more years because of the KW signing.   Is he likely to make more mistakes along the way?  Probably yes and his reputation has been tarnished because of some things that he has done.  

The KW mistake stands out as the big boo boo.  

The KW signing was not the original sin, the original sin was the KI trade. The disaster of that trade wasn't immediately obvious because Tatum, Brown, and Rosier turned out to be way better than expected and led the team to the ECF Kyrie's first year when he was hurt. Ultimately KI poisoned everything and totally F'd Ainge and the Celtics. The KW signing was an attempt to save face for the KI debacle. I have only focused on direct basketball consequences, ignoring the karma that move generated (e.g. sure sounds like Davis would have been more open to playing with the Celtics had Danny not done IT like he did...)

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play - Page 2 Empty Re: Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
dboss wrote:I saw that and came to the realization that Danny knows he cannot fix the team he assembled quickly.  

7 years ago, he promised to get this team built to the level of a championship contender in 5 years.  The reality as I mentioned before is that he probably set us back at least two more years because of the KW signing.   Is he likely to make more mistakes along the way?  Probably yes and his reputation has been tarnished because of some things that he has done.  

The KW signing was not the original sin, the original sin was the KI trade. The disaster of that trade wasn't immediately obvious because Tatum, Brown, and Rosier turned out to be way better than expected and led the team to the ECF Kyrie's first year when he was hurt. Ultimately KI poisoned everything and totally F'd Ainge and the Celtics. The KW signing was an attempt to save face for the KI debacle. I have only focused on direct basketball consequences, ignoring the karma that move generated (e.g. sure sounds like Davis would have been more open to playing with the Celtics had Danny not done IT like he did...)

I should note that I don't think Ainge was a bad Prez at all. Yeah, some moves didn't work out, but overall, he kept the team competitive (most playoff wins in last ten years) while always trying to build for the future. I think this was really hi decision - he was tired of doing it...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
1 minute ago
Danny Ainge said that when he had a heart attack two years ago he started to think about what he was doing with his life. Said he has no plans for another job, but doesn’t know what his future holds. “I’ll think about the future somewhere in the future.”

Chris Grenham
Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
1 minute ago
Danny Ainge on his future: "I don't know what my future holds. I don't have any plans. Right now my plan is to get Brad up to speed on the draft. ... I'll think about the future somewhere in the future."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:30 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:McMillan is interim right now. Talk to him sooner than soon

Rumor has it that Nate will be offered the head coaching job full time so you can forget about him.  

Hasn’t been offered to him yet so he's still fair game but I don’t expect these guys to go after him anyway.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:33 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:Ainge needed to go but Brad should not be the Prez. What relations does he have in the league? Presti and unjuri out there and they choose Brad? There’s certainly a place got him but not in that gig. Misfire again!

ktron

There are other candidates as you have mentioned but the over riding factor is probably the money still owed to Brad Stevens.  As the old saying goes 'money talks and BS walks'

Oh well.

Last edited by Ktron on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:Ainge needed to go but Brad should not be the Prez. What relations does he have in the league? Presti and unjuri out there and they choose Brad? There’s certainly a place got him but not in that gig. Misfire again!

ktron

There are other candidates as you have mentioned but the over riding factor is probably the money still owed to Brad Stevens.  As the old saying goes 'money talks and BS walks'

What money? He’s been promoted (after having a bad year btw) and his salary is now open. Am I missing something here?

Coach's salaries don't apply to the salary cap, neither do the GM's.  Whether Brad gets a raise with his promotion or not doesn't affect what happens with the team roster nor the incoming coach's salary.  We are also, btw, assuming they're going to hire an outside coach and not promote Jay Larranagga.  He has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs before (I know about the Knicks and the Hornets, there may be more), so he's well thought of around the league even if he didn't get those jobs.  He is also, I have heard, popular with the players. I'm sure they'll shop around a bit, why wouldn't they, but Brad ran a top 5 defense until this year. I wouldn't be shocked if they want to keep that continuity and just change some of the players who execute within that defense.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:57 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

ktron

What money? He’s been promoted (after having a bad year btw) and his salary is now open. Am I missing something here?

Coach's salaries don't apply to the salary cap, neither do the GM's.  Whether Brad gets a raise with his promotion or not doesn't affect what happens with the team roster nor the incoming coach's salary.  We are also, btw, assuming they're going to hire an outside coach and not promote Jay Larranagga.  He has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs before (I know about the Knicks and the Hornets, there may be more), so he's well thought of around the league even if he didn't get those jobs.  He is also, I have heard, popular with the players.  I'm sure they'll shop around a bit, why wouldn't they, but Brad ran a top 5 defense until this year.  I wouldn't be shocked if they want to keep that continuity and just change some of the players who execute within that defense.

Bob

I think I misunderstood dboss post but some think Kara Lawson has a good chance at being the head coach as well. Word is she is brilliant and the players on the team really respect here. We shall see. What a Face

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:35 pm

That would be another 1st in the long list of them in Celtic land of being forward thinking and leading the way.  Or most importantly...just doing the right thing. Of course the world around us will ignore it or deny it or just forget it like they do whenever the greatest player of all time discussion comes up, or who had the first all black starting 5 in the NBA or who was the only black player/coach.  The wheels on the bus...

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:26 pm

dbrown4 wrote:That would be another 1st in the long list of them in Celtic land of being forward thinking and leading the way.  Or most importantly...just doing the right thing.  Of course the world around us will ignore it or deny it or just forget it like they do whenever the greatest player of all time discussion comes up, or who had the first all black starting 5 in the NBA or who was the only black player/coach.  The wheels on the bus...

db

People need to remember what kind of organization this used to be-forward thinking.
This ownership group? No so much.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:37 pm

Jackie Mac is saying Chauncey Billips. Kendrick saying Sam Casell. Nice picks!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm

While I am surprised by this, I can't say I'm surprised by the details. I suspect this has been in conversations for a long time. I can't say I've ever seen any sign from ownership that they had any less than 100% confidence in DA. And BS is clearly DA's guy. Considering the musical chair spectacle of this year's roster, I can't blame BS for wanting some other task. And BS has his own kids entering their teen years, when parents feel like they need to be home to provide more guidance. But I thought BS was a terrific coach and it will be interesting to see who replaces him. Considering how much time Larranagga has spent working with some of the younger players, I think he might be an obvious choice. But I never guess these things right. Oh, and DA, thanks for your service. I thought you did an excellent job as well.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

ktron

Coach's salaries don't apply to the salary cap, neither do the GM's.  Whether Brad gets a raise with his promotion or not doesn't affect what happens with the team roster nor the incoming coach's salary.  We are also, btw, assuming they're going to hire an outside coach and not promote Jay Larranagga.  He has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs before (I know about the Knicks and the Hornets, there may be more), so he's well thought of around the league even if he didn't get those jobs.  He is also, I have heard, popular with the players.  I'm sure they'll shop around a bit, why wouldn't they, but Brad ran a top 5 defense until this year.  I wouldn't be shocked if they want to keep that continuity and just change some of the players who execute within that defense.

Bob

I think I misunderstood dboss post but some think Kara Lawson has a good chance at being the head coach as well. Word is she is brilliant and the players on the team really respect here. We shall see. What a Face

ktron,

Kara Lawson left the Celtics to become the head coach of the Duke Blue Devils women basketball team in July 2020.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/06/inside-the-celtics-timeline-of-hiring-brad-stevens-as-president-of-basketball-operations.html

Inside the Celtics’ timeline of hiring Brad Stevens as president of basketball operations

Updated 2:19 PM; Today 2:19 PM

Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play - Page 2 4OUTZJYAGVFQ3FN2CUGZGOREDM
Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens instructs his players in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Sacramento Kings, Friday, March 19, 2021, in Boston. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

Nearly nine years ago, the Celtics shocked the NBA world by hiring Brad Stevens from Butler University as their head coach to replace Doc Rivers on a fourth of July holiday. The team continued that trend on Wednesday morning with a promotion for Stevens to president of basketball operations, taking over for a retiring Danny Ainge just hours after the 2020-21 season came to a close against the Brooklyn Nets.

The team officially announced the move in an introductory press conference and Stevens shed more light on his secrecy around the transition in an interview with NBC Sports Boston.

“Tracy is the only person that’s known,” Stevens said. “We told (our son) Brady this morning before he went to school and swore him to silence. I haven’t talked to any of my friends about it because it was something I wanted to keep between us here.”

Ainge and Boston’s co-owners Steve Pagliuca and Wyc Grousbeck spoke more about how the decision came about on Wednesday morning.

“Well, what we knew, what I really felt and what we decided was we’d wait till the end of the season to do anything if we went that route,” Grousbeck said. “And then, talking to Brad one day and said I wonder if you want to – let’s run a search together for president, I said, and you might want to throw your name in. From my standpoint, that’s when it started.

“I think Brad and Danny actually had started tossing it around years ago casually, but they never filled me in.  It’s always probably been a possibility, but so the idea of Brad taking over became – it’s a natural promotion from within somebody we’ve worked with for eight years.”

Although there were rumblings that the Celtics’ poor season may have factored into Ainge’s decision to call it quits, the 62-year-old confirmed that he made the choice on his own.

“It was my decision. Like I said, I started it when I had health issues two years ago in the playoffs and I started thinking about it then. you’re surrounded by your six children in the hospital and they’re saying, hey, you need to quit doing this for work, it’s causing you too much stress. That’s probably when I started thinking about it. And these last two years have been tough. In the bubble and all the rules and scrutiny and protocols that we had to go through has not made the job as much fun. The job we haven’t been able to have scouts or draft workouts. So the job hasn’t been as much fun. I don’t know if there was a moment in time but like I said earlier, I trust my instincts and my instincts told me a couple months ago that it was time for me to move on and that’s what’s best for us, that’s what’s best for the Celtics”

Stevens said discussions about the position began in the past couple months as Ainge became more certain that he was ready to call it quits at the end of the year.

“The thought of going into this position, you know, was never even a thought because Danny was here and he was the best at it and he was the best to work for,” Stevens said of taking over. “When he decided to move on and retire and, you know, go enjoy more time with his family and we talked a little about it whenever that was. I don’t remember the timeline, it’s been a while now.  It wasn’t six years ago, it was within the last couple months.

“Then it just kind of moved down the road. Wyc and Pags, you know, both talked to me a little bit about it. I talked to Wyc for a while one day and we decided that was what was best. I told Wyc at that moment: My No. 1 thing is for the good of the Celtics. I love the Celtics. I want to do what’s best for the Celtics. And I really have enjoyed coaching. I loved coaching and I loved coaching the players, both at Butler and here. But this is a new challenge. This is what we need to do to hopefully be even better. Again, I think a big part of that is hopefully I can use my experience as a coach to help not only find a coach, but be a good, supportive, empowering person like Danny has been to me as a coach.”

The challenge begins now for Stevens with hiring a new head coach and finding a way to get the Celtics back towards a contending trajectory after a disappointing first round exit this past season.

“There’s a lot of work to do, there’s a lot of work ahead, obviously there is a whole process that we’ll go through in searching for a new coach, there’s obviously roster decisions that must be made,” Stevens explained. “And there’s development within our own team and improvement within our own team that has to happen. That said, as Danny said, we are in a good place. We have a lot of really positive things. And it’s our job to capitalize on it.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:32 pm

I honestly saw this coming but not this year. Two other predictions: 1 100% chance the Celtics hire an African American coach; 2 50% chance Brad goes to Duke.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm

BingBang! wrote:I honestly saw this coming but not this year. Two other predictions: 1 100% chance the Celtics hire an African American coach; 2 50% chance Brad goes to Duke.

With Krzyzweski announcing his retirement this morning, at the end of next season, it is thought Jon Scheyer is still his heir apparent and that either Chris Carrawell or Nolan Smith will replace Scheyer as the Associate Head Coach at Duke.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:47 pm

The bottom line looks like not only was a change needed, but Ainge was wise enough to recognize the fact too. Ainge did as good a job as any GM during his tenure. No GM bats 1.000 and no player transaction or draft comes with a guarantee. Ainge got the team a title and helped the Celtics become relevant again.

Brad Stevens was a gutsy and unique choice when he was hired. He brought a different perspective and wasn't another re-tread off the NBA revolving coach carousel. He didn't get the next title as was hoped, but he did take a sometimes overmatched group of young players deep into the playoffs on a couple of occasions. Stevens is smart, young and energetic. He now has several years of NBA coaching experience to go with his outstanding resume from the college ranks. He has the earmarks of a good GM and President of Operations.

Sometimes the first guy gets you close to the finish line, but it takes a second guy to push you over. This succession is just forward thinking enough to look like the hope is there and justified that the team will be in good hands going forward.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:04 pm

+100
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:19 pm

After listening to the presser and Ainges address to questions, I think Danny was let go! That became apparent when he said left open that he will assess his future in the future (words to that affect). That tells me if the right job in basketball came a knocking, he would be open to it. Does The JAZZ come to mind as a possible landing spot for Ainge. He is a Morman, the JAZZ management are having problems with one of their star players, perhaps Anige is one to right the ship if the JAZZ fail to win the NBA Title.

As far as Stevens goes, I think in his praise speech of the NETS he threw Danny under the bus. This rings true, because Danny was responsible for the team he fielded this year which turned out to be a bust. It was Brad's way of saying.....hey I did not build the team, Danny did. It is the typical CYA to save his job.

We do not know the details, but ownership may have played a big hand in this. Perhaps Danny's hands were tied because ownership wanted to trim the purse strings and Danny wanted to go Balls to the Wall and beef the team up, and ownership said no. Covid, revenue cuts across the board, you name it, there was enough there to have ownership clip Danny's wings and say NO!

The only thing positive with Brad taking this new position is that there is a new voice at the top, so teams will begin to test the waters and feel Brad out on potential trade deals. Before this, I think teams were gun shy in dealing with Danny and so perhaps GM's will test Brad out to see if he wants to buy the Brooklyn Bridge!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:21 pm

Odds on next Celtics coach include a number of former players

WEEI By Ryan Hannable

4 hours ago

The Celtics have shook up their organization in a big way on Wednesday.

President of basketball operations Danny Ainge has stepped down and will be replaced by coach Brad Stevens. The Celtics will now look for their next head coach.

Odds have already been released by SportsLine and they include a number of former players.

Sam Cassell +300
Chauncey Billups +400
Jay Larranaga +500
Jason Kidd +700
Becky Hammon +800
Kenny Atkinson +900
Jeff Van Gundy +1000
Mark Jackson +1200
Jay Wright +2500
Juwan Howard +3000
Rick Pitino +5000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

Sham

I can only partially disagree with you. KI still has value. KW's value? I would say that the KW signing did nothing to mitigate the fallout of losing KI but instead it made it much worse.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi,
As I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Brad is cut for this job. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Sinus 007 I agree. You have to be a shark!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

ktron

Bob

Yes you are missing something

The point I was making is that the Celtics were not going to fire Brad Stevens and eat his salary even though they know damn well it was time for a change.  So they promoted him instead.

His replacement needs to be a new voice and that means NOT promoting one of his lamb duck assistants.  

Also how the hell do you maintain any measure of continuity when your former GM flipped the team over more times than a stack of pancakes.

We need a fresh new start and for all those posters out there that could not wrap their head around the idea of needing to change, what you got to say now?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:45 pm

dboss wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

Sham

I can only partially disagree with you.  KI still has value.  KW's value?  I would say that the KW signing did nothing to mitigate the fallout of losing KI but instead it made it much worse.  

Yes, KI still has value, but 1) in the clarity of retrospect it was unarguably a bad trade (though admittedly understandable at the time); 2) getting nothing back for KI made it worse. At the very least, Danny should have had an inkling KI wouldn't sign and gotten something in return. I mean, Kyrie pretty much told everybody halfway through his second season - even I understood his message and I'm some jackass posting on a message board, not President of basketball operations, getting paid millions to know this shite. It's not like it wasn't clearly obvious the KI experiment was even working on the court. My guess is Danny did know, but thought that if he could get AD, KI would stay. Ironically, the very trade that brought KI turned out to repel AD. Again, Ainge should have has some insight about AD'S feeling. Looking back, looking at what KI did after leaving, and looking at Ainge's past, I bet Danny told KI when he was trading for him that he would trade all his young ttalent to build a super team. Regardless, yeah we're stuck with a possibly cooked Kemba, but the real reason we're stuck with him traces directly back the KI debacle. In fact, trading for Kemba like that was just the tail end of that very same debacle, a last ditch attempt get something.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Well, we got what we wanted! Neither Brad is the HC of the Boston Celtics nor Danny the GM.

Seems like management went with the cheaper option again a bit doesn't it though Smile ?

I see this actually as a 2 possible scenarios:

1) This was known early in the season after it turned out we have the 2 Js and everything else apart from Smart is scrap metal. I believe as well that Danny might have seen that this not going to be an easy fix and if he was thinking if taking things slow already...Why go through an equivalent of a rebuild for a GM. This could potentially be a big reason for the reduced focus and motivation seen across the board from our starting 5, especially with Smart the second half of the season. A pity if this is the case... no season could be so easily thrown away.

2) This was executive decision - Danny gets "fired" with retirement for basically making mostly bad trades and picks since he drafted JT (or depending who you ask since he decided to spend money on Al Horford Smile ). As the players seemed to have tuned out the coach and it is "too expensive" to fire him + he is a likeable and knowledgeable guy/coach it is only logical to take the "cheapest option" approach.

Whatever the reasoning was a change WAS needed. Let us hope that Brad's analytical, non-confrontational nature serves him better dealing with the GMs than with star players. I think the point that Boston will get more calls now and the other GMs might actually want to make deals with Boston is true as well.

Too bad Knicks got Thibs 1 year before we could... I am still hoping for KG in some role/capacity. Much more possible now even if very unlikely still Smile

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next