Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play

+14
worcester
Vankisa
sinus007
BingBang!
atcross
Shamrock1000
dbrown4
Ktron
bobheckler
dboss
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
birnam
18 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play - Page 3 Empty Re: Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:Ainge needed to go but Brad should not be the Prez. What relations does he have in the league? Presti and unjuri out there and they choose Brad? There’s certainly a place got him but not in that gig. Misfire again!

ktron

There are other candidates as you have mentioned but the over riding factor is probably the money still owed to Brad Stevens.  As the old saying goes 'money talks and BS walks'

What money? He’s been promoted (after having a bad year btw) and his salary is now open. Am I missing something here?

Coach's salaries don't apply to the salary cap, neither do the GM's.  Whether Brad gets a raise with his promotion or not doesn't affect what happens with the team roster nor the incoming coach's salary.  We are also, btw, assuming they're going to hire an outside coach and not promote Jay Larranagga.  He has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs before (I know about the Knicks and the Hornets, there may be more), so he's well thought of around the league even if he didn't get those jobs.  He is also, I have heard, popular with the players.  I'm sure they'll shop around a bit, why wouldn't they, but Brad ran a top 5 defense until this year.  I wouldn't be shocked if they want to keep that continuity and just change some of the players who execute within that defense.

Bob

I think I misunderstood dboss post but some think Kara Lawson has a good chance at being the head coach as well. Word is she is brilliant and the players on the team really respect here. We shall see. What a Face

ktron,

Kara Lawson left the Celtics to become the head coach of the Duke Blue Devils women basketball team in July 2020.

Bob

I’m aware of that. That would be a quick turnaround but one can leave again for the right gig. This be it me thinks.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play - Page 3 Empty Re: Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:48 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:37 pm

dboss wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:Ainge needed to go but Brad should not be the Prez. What relations does he have in the league? Presti and unjuri out there and they choose Brad? There’s certainly a place got him but not in that gig. Misfire again!

ktron

There are other candidates as you have mentioned but the over riding factor is probably the money still owed to Brad Stevens.  As the old saying goes 'money talks and BS walks'

What money? He’s been promoted (after having a bad year btw) and his salary is now open. Am I missing something here?

Coach's salaries don't apply to the salary cap, neither do the GM's.  Whether Brad gets a raise with his promotion or not doesn't affect what happens with the team roster nor the incoming coach's salary.  We are also, btw, assuming they're going to hire an outside coach and not promote Jay Larranagga.  He has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs before (I know about the Knicks and the Hornets, there may be more), so he's well thought of around the league even if he didn't get those jobs.  He is also, I have heard, popular with the players.  I'm sure they'll shop around a bit, why wouldn't they, but Brad ran a top 5 defense until this year.  I wouldn't be shocked if they want to keep that continuity and just change some of the players who execute within that defense.

Bob

Yes you are missing something

The point I was making is that the Celtics were not going to fire Brad Stevens and eat his salary even though they know damn well it was time for a change.  So they promoted him instead.

His replacement needs to be a new voice and that means NOT promoting one of his lamb duck assistants.  

Also how the hell do you maintain any measure of continuity when your former GM flipped the team over more times than a stack of pancakes.

We need a fresh new start and for all those posters out there that could not wrap their head around the idea of needing to change, what you got to say now?  
So you think that that was the reason they promoted him? Because they didn’t want to have to eat his salary? It’s been done before where the guy just sits there and does nothing but appears to be doing something until his deal is up. I doubt that this is the case dboss. But if you’re right, then we have some small minded small market owners and we can look forward to being mired in mediocrity at best until its dirt nap time for all of us. If indeed that is what you’re saying, I don’t agree. Im not totally on board with the move it but they ain’t that small minded.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:18 pm

Danny is truly a fine human being. Big heart. Great values. I will always love and respect him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:59 pm

Shamrock

I agree with your take on this.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:10 pm

Shamrock and atcross, excellent perspectives.

Rick Pitino +5000????? Now I know the betting world is insane.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

ktron

Bob

Yes you are missing something

The point I was making is that the Celtics were not going to fire Brad Stevens and eat his salary even though they know damn well it was time for a change.  So they promoted him instead.

His replacement needs to be a new voice and that means NOT promoting one of his lamb duck assistants.  

Also how the hell do you maintain any measure of continuity when your former GM flipped the team over more times than a stack of pancakes.

We need a fresh new start and for all those posters out there that could not wrap their head around the idea of needing to change, what you got to say now?  

So you think that that was the reason they promoted him? Because they didn’t want to have to eat his salary? It’s been done before where the guy just sits there and does nothing but appears to be doing something until his deal is up. I doubt that this is the case dboss. But if you’re right, then we have some small minded small market owners and we can look forward to being mired in mediocrity at best until its dirt nap time for all of us. If indeed that is what you’re saying, I don’t agree. Im not totally on board with the move it but they ain’t that small minded.

ktron he just signed an extension last year. The owners ain't James Dolan. So the Celtics just slid Brad into the salary slot vacated by Danny. They were not going to eat $30 million.

Brad will have an opportunity to earn his money because Danny left him a hard capped team that is in need of a makeover. It doesn't really changed the financial picture

The most important decision Brad has to make if in hiring a new coach and not just any guy. We need a coach that players around the league would not mind playing for among other things.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:57 am

A coach that will understand how its infuriatingly impatient fan base is with not making it past the ECF since 2010 and losing that finals series to guess what? Yes, the Kendrick Perkins injury. Someone that can lift that injury curse as well.

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:57 am

It was a cost saving move to keep Brad and not eat a big contract. At times the Celtic ownership have been penny pinchers and overly cautious businessmen at times. I think that they may have handcuffed Danny in the same manor regarding trades and cap space. Covid? Revenue reduction? Under performance by the team and difficult contracts to move? Who knows, but they may have made life difficult for Danny and that is why it may have been a soft force out of Danny. One thing for sure, Danny does not like to lose! That is why I go back to the nixed trade for Myles Turner with Indiana. The deal was set, all Danny had to do was to execute it. What must have happened, ownership must of nixed the deal. There is no other rational for not getting Turner. Danny knew we had a very small team and we needed a major upgrade at Center. Thies was a good player but not at center, perhaps at power forward given he was at best 6'8" or 9" inches in height. Ok for Small ball in the D League but not when you are chasing the ghosts of #18.

By moving Brad to head of basketball operations, they also have a thumb on him and tight controls of this trading movement. You know ....final say in matters. The trade off for Brad, he assumes another title and job to stick on his resume.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:55 am

Hi,
It seems like everybody around the league scratching their heads about Brad becoming GM.
And the money saving explanation is the most obvious.
I only hope they'll find a good coach and Brad is good GM or they in a year or two will replace him with a really good GM.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:24 am

Can someone please define for me the NBA difference between the title of President of Basketball Operations and General Manager and how the hierarchy flow chart looks?

I'm guessing that the GM has to make sure there are enough paperclips in the inventory in addition to player operations, but that's all I've got! Thanks in advance!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:31 am

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/6/2/22465384/brad-stevens-danny-ainge-boston-celtics

Brad Stevens Becomes the President … of Celtics Basketball Operations

The Celtics coach is leaving the sideline to take over for Danny Ainge. Can the first-time executive help fix Boston in ways he couldn’t with X’s and O’s?

By Kevin O'Connor  Jun 2, 2021, 2:39pm EDT

Sources - Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge to step down, Brad Stevens moving to front office play - Page 3 Brad_stevens_ainge_getty_ringer.0
Getty Images/Ringer illustration

There have been rumblings for months that Danny Ainge would leave the Celtics. League sources say he was eyeing jobs in Utah, where many members of his family live, or Portland, his home state and another franchise that could undergo change if the Trail Blazers lose in the first or second round.

Brad Stevens has been in the rumor mill, too. Months ago, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Indiana University offered Stevens a seven-year, $70 million contract to become their next head coach. Stevens denied the report, but league sources have consistently confirmed that Indiana did indeed drop the bag and he declined, instead choosing to stay in the NBA. What was unknown at the time was that he would become a leading candidate to take Ainge’s role.

Ainge is stepping down from his role as president of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics, the team announced Wednesday. Only time will tell whether the 62-year-old will take on a role elsewhere. Stevens, meanwhile, will absorb Ainge’s role and immediately start a search for a new head coach.

Before hiring Stevens, league sources say Celtics ownership considered other internal candidates and even pondered pursuing Sam Presti, a Massachusetts native who has run the Thunder since they were still the Sonics. Presti is a proven front-office boss who steered a small-market team to great success through savvy acquisitions and wise draft picks. Stevens has no front-office experience, and has been in the NBA since only 2013, when the Celtics plucked him from Butler.

How will Stevens transition to a personnel role? How will his measured but calculated persona as a coach translate? Will he make ballsy moves like Ainge did for nearly two decades?

Ainge has been criticized in recent years for the moves he didn’t make: trading for James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, or Anthony Davis. The almost moves have become a running joke for fans on NBA Twitter. But Ainge got more big decisions right than he got wrong. Now Stevens will need to have similar success to maximize a team headlined by two of the best young players in the world, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

Tatum and Brown represent both the promise and pressure in Boston. Tatum just turned 23; Brown will turn 25 in October. But Brown’s contract runs through the 2023-24 season, while Tatum can become a free agent the following offseason, in 2025. The middle of the decade seems far away, but three or four years is not long in business or in sports. There is little time to get it right, and the Celtics are already pushing the luxury-tax line, complicating efforts to build around them.

Kemba Walker’s balky knees have turned the two years and $74 million remaining on his contract into an albatross. Moving him would be ideal, but for what? At this point, it would probably cost draft picks. Evan Fournier will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and though the Celtics are unlikely to create cap space, the rest of this free-agent class is lacking anyway.

Boston does have a core of young players, but there are questions there as well. Robert Williams has shown promise as a bouncy rim runner and shot blocker, but he’s also failed to stay healthy and can be a restricted free agent in 2022. Rookies Aaron Nesmith and Payton Pritchard and second-year players Romeo Langford and Grant Williams have all had positive moments. But their trade value isn’t significant because their potential as players is unclear.

This team is also lacking veteran leadership; Tristan Thompson is the only player other than Walker who is at least 30 years old, and he will become a free agent in 2022. So will the team’s longest-tenured player, Marcus Smart. So much needs to change, but how much can?

The best NBA decision-makers have a knack for turning nothing into something. They take a long view. They take risks. They’re fearless. When considering what the Stevens hire means for Boston with all the challenges ahead, Ainge’s first controversial move comes to mind. After being hired to run the Celtics in 2003, just days before the start of the season in October, Ainge traded a fan favorite in Antoine Walker to the Mavericks. Raef LaFrentz and some other pieces went to Boston. Nothing special. Ainge got ripped on local sports-talk radio for trading a two-time All-Star. What the trade proved was that Ainge had guts to make tough decisions that he felt were in the best interest of the franchise. And perhaps more importantly, that ownership would support the choices, even if it meant pissing off fans.

The same shrewdness applied when Ainge traded Al Jefferson in a blockbuster for Kevin Garnett, dealt Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Nets, flipped an injured Isaiah Thomas for Kyrie Irving, traded Markelle Fultz for Tatum, and made so many other moves during his 18-year tenure in Boston. While he may be criticized for more recent moves, Ainge’s boldness helped the Celtics become a fixture in the title conversation.

Decisions and opportunities of that magnitude will come quickly for Stevens, who was successful as a coach and recruiter at Butler and in eight seasons as head coach of the Celtics. But running an organization is a unique challenge, an all-consuming, 24/7 job filled with responsibilities like appeasing ownership, managing personalities, and making deals.

Jumping straight from head coach to running basketball operations will be the toughest challenge of Stevens’s career. It’s rarely done—Ainge is one of the few to make it work.

Following his retirement as a multisport professional athlete, a short run coaching the Suns, and working in the TV booth, Ainge went on to run the Celtics for 18 years, leading to one championship in 2008, two Finals appearances, six runs to the Eastern Conference finals, and 15 playoff appearances. Ainge is considered by his peers to be one of the best to run a front office. Now he’s gone. And the Celtics will embark on an uncertain future.

Bob
MY NOTE: "Ainge is considered by his peers to be one of the best to run a front office." That, and 3X World Champion and the only Celtic to ever win a championship as a player and as an executive, is a fitting legacy.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:39 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
It seems like everybody around the league scratching their heads about Brad becoming GM.
And the money saving explanation is the most obvious.
I only hope they'll find a good coach and Brad is good GM or they in a year or two will replace him with a really good GM.

AK

Laughing
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:14 am

I hope so or this will blow up! We have short fuses with Brown and Tatum and so two major factors come into play!

1) Can Brad execute a game plan that involves making meaningful trades and free agent signings that will have a meaningful impact on the Percy of the team NOW?

2). Will Brad hire the right coach who has a successful track record of being a winning coach who can quickly assemble a basketball strategy for the new team now, without going through a learning curve because they never coached a team as a head coach.

Brad has to avoid playing Russian Roulette by hiring a coach that needs to learn on the fly while producing a winning record NOW!

Any slip up will shorten the fuse on Briwn’s and Tatum’s contracts with potentially losing them to free agency because they cannot advance to the finals or at best the Eastern Conference Finals.

We are in uncharted shark infested waters that can chew you up in a heart beat!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:15 am

I hope so or this will blow up! We have short fuses with Brown and Tatum and so two major factors come into play!

1) Can Brad execute a game plan that involves making meaningful trades and free agent signings that will have a meaningful impact on the Percy of the team NOW?

2). Will Brad hire the right coach who has a successful track record of being a winning coach who can quickly assemble a basketball strategy for the new team now, without going through a learning curve because they never coached a team as a head coach.

Brad has to avoid playing Russian Roulette by hiring a coach that needs to learn on the fly while producing a winning record NOW!

Any slip up will shorten the fuse on Briwn’s and Tatum’s contracts with potentially losing them to free agency because they cannot advance to the finals or at best the Eastern Conference Finals.

We are in uncharted shark infested waters that can chew you up in a heart beat!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am

The 4 horsemen of the apocalypse had their lovefest news conference.  You would think with all that love, admiration and brain power the Celtics would be ...

Anyways, Brad mentioned on two occasions that a new voice is a good thing and can bring a different perspective. (I'm  paraphrasing)  It is the first time that he directly or indirectly acknowledged that a coaching change was needed.  

I am a big believer of promoting from within but at the same time you have to look outside of your organization to gain a better perspective.  No one else interviewed for the job as far as I know.  I believe this was a financial arrangement firstly but also a decision that Brad could do his new job. Brad's new job is filled with a lot of X's and O's so I think he will be able to grasp the technical aspects  of his new position.  

The other areas are more difficult .  Developing relationships with other GM's and especially player agents, evaluating players in the draft or free agency and for trades.

While Danny has done a very good job most of the time he also misread situations that led to him making poor decisions.  

When Danny decided to jump at the opportunity to trade for Kyrie Irving he neglected to weigh the impact of signing a player with very deep and disturbing emotional issues that impacted his perception of reality.   The world is not flat.  

When there were rumblings all around the league that Kyrie may not resign with Boston, Danny virtually stuck his head in the sand.  When Kyrie left, Danny signed Kemba.  Unfortunately Danny blew through all the stops signs and yellow blinking caution lights because Kemba's knee issue should have been better scrutinized.

Danny needed to go because Danny did not do his job well during this rebuild saga.  He did not fullfill his stated goal and promise.

Danny left Brad with the task of fixing the financial errors and structural issues on this team.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 am

Two rules to follow

1) No more PF’s 6’5” or under

2) No more PG’s 6’0” tall and 29 or older

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:40 am

Get a fuc.in big

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:16 am

Best quote du jour?  "The world is not flat."  Thanks for the laugh dboss!  Priceless!

Kyrie and BKN are about to have a very good perception of reality next round. Their consistent lack of defense will cause a huge mess for their scoring and their subsequent ability to win games they think they should easily because of overabundant have fire power.  It has never failed. MIL will only have to show up with a half of defense to send these clowns back to the drawing board.

MIL is in a far more precarious/tenuous position to win or die vs. BKN.  BKN is really flying by the seat of their pants all the way through.  The Bucks organization will look like Hiroshima compared to ours if they come up short next round.  

The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken!!  (Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!)    

db

Last edited by dbrown4 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am

Larry Bird had a 3 year rule for coaches.  You were in for 3 years and that's it because after that, according to Larry, you got stale.  The players stopped listening, the opposing coaches figured out your schemes.  That's why Larry only coached the Pacers for 3 years before moving up into the front office (and what did he know about that job other than just being around it for a long time?)  IF Larry's axiom is true then Brad did a helluva job for at least 7 out of 8 years and, I for one, don't blame him much for this past year.  Some people don't want to put weight into COVID and injury-riddled explanations for why our season was a disappointment, but I choose to face the reality they present.  "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade".  That's all fine and good but the bottom line is you still can only have lemonade and not peach nectar.  You might make the best lemonade possible but if the consumer has an acute sweet tooth they're not going to be satisfied.  We had high expectations coming in and they weren't satisfied, but we didn't know about Kemba's knee not returning to 100%, losing Tatum, Thompson and Fournier to COVID and Jaylen Brown's season-ending injury back in October.  We could not have anticipated we'd be down 3 starters in the playoffs.  We also didn't know Harden was going to end up in Brooklyn with Kyrie and Durant.

Do we go with a respected veteran former player, like a Sam Cassell (3X World Champion, 2 with Houston and 1 with KG/Pierce/Allen in 2008; 12 years as an assistant coach but zero as a head coach), or an experienced head coach like Nate McMillan or Lloyd Pierce, or do they go with continuity by promoting either Larranagga or Allen?  The last two are known entities.  They are, from what I've heard, well liked and respected by the players and they know Brad's system and they know what kind of players will fit into it.  You can like Brad's system or not but he's the GM/President of Basketball Operations now so he has quite a bit of input into that.

The draft combine is in 3 weeks, the draft is in 7 weeks.  Our front office (i.e. Brad) will want his successor in place before then so he can have eyes and ears, and input, into those events (unless he goes with Larranagga or Allen.  Then they're already in and would be involved with those anyway).

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:33 am

bobheckler wrote:Larry Bird had a 3 year rule for coaches.  You were in for 3 years and that's it because after that, according to Larry, you got stale.  The players stopped listening, the opposing coaches figured out your schemes.  That's why Larry only coached the Pacers for 3 years before moving up into the front office (and what did he know about that job other than just being around it for a long time?)  IF Larry's axiom is true then Brad did a helluva job for at least 7 out of 8 years and, I for one, don't blame him much for this past year.  Some people don't want to put weight into COVID and injury-riddled explanations for why our season was a disappointment, but I choose to face the reality they present. We had high expectations coming in and they weren't satisfied, but we didn't know about Kemba's knee not returning to 100%, losing Tatum, Thompson and Fournier to COVID and Jaylen Brown's season-ending injury back in October.  We could not have anticipated we'd be down 3 starters in the playoffs.  We also didn't know Harden was going to end up in Brooklyn with Kyrie and Durant.

Do we go with a respected veteran former player, like a Sam Cassell (3X World Champion, 2 with Houston and 1 with KG/Pierce/Allen in 2008; 12 years as an assistant coach but zero as a head coach), or an experienced head coach like Nate McMillan or Lloyd Pierce, or do they go with continuity by promoting either Larranagga or Allen?  The last two are known entities.  They are, from what I've heard, well liked and respected by the players and they know Brad's system and they know what kind of players will fit into it.  You can like Brad's system or not but he's the GM/President of Basketball Operations now so he has quite a bit of input into that.

Bob

Totally agree about people ignoring the impact of injuries, Covid-19, and the short turn around after the bubble. I read somewhere that the Celts 7 best players were never all present for even a single game. All the hand-wringing about getting blown out by the Nets? What did people expect? Take out two of the Nets big 3 and have them play a fully healthy Celtics team and lets see what happens. By the way, I wouldn't underestimate this Nets team - they will be tough to beat. Personally, I would rather see them win than the Lakers...

After reading the points you make about Larranga and Allen, I bet Brad goes with one of them. Brad is an analytics guy, and will want a coach that will apply his vision of the game. Also, he is not a confrontational guy - he knows Larranga or Allen will continue implementing what he has put in place. Think about it - a former player is someone who sees the game differently. He is guy who made it his own ability, not applying complex statistical models to determine the most likely outcome. He trusts his eyes, not abstract numbers. He is also probably going to be a guy with a strong personality, who is used to getting his way, and getting attention. If such a guy wanted to break from Brad's vision, Brad could never reign him in, and it would kill him to see what he considers an inefficient plan implemented.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:17 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Larry Bird had a 3 year rule for coaches.  You were in for 3 years and that's it because after that, according to Larry, you got stale.  The players stopped listening, the opposing coaches figured out your schemes.  That's why Larry only coached the Pacers for 3 years before moving up into the front office (and what did he know about that job other than just being around it for a long time?)  IF Larry's axiom is true then Brad did a helluva job for at least 7 out of 8 years and, I for one, don't blame him much for this past year.  Some people don't want to put weight into COVID and injury-riddled explanations for why our season was a disappointment, but I choose to face the reality they present. We had high expectations coming in and they weren't satisfied, but we didn't know about Kemba's knee not returning to 100%, losing Tatum, Thompson and Fournier to COVID and Jaylen Brown's season-ending injury back in October.  We could not have anticipated we'd be down 3 starters in the playoffs.  We also didn't know Harden was going to end up in Brooklyn with Kyrie and Durant.

Bob

Totally agree about people ignoring the impact of injuries, Covid-19, and the short turn around after the bubble. I read somewhere that the Celts 7 best players were never all present for even a single game. All the hand-wringing about getting blown out by the Nets? What did people expect? Take out two of the Nets big 3 and have them play a fully healthy Celtics team and lets see what happens. By the way, I wouldn't underestimate this Nets team - they will be tough to beat. Personally, I would rather see them win than the Lakers...

After reading the points you make about Larranga and Allen, I bet Brad goes with one of them. Brad is an analytics guy, and will want a coach that will apply his vision of the game. Also, he is not a confrontational guy - he knows Larranga or Allen will continue implementing what he has put in place. Think about it - a former player is someone who sees the game differently. He is guy who made it his own ability, not applying complex statistical models to determine the most likely outcome. He trusts his eyes, not abstract numbers. He is also probably going to be a guy with a strong personality, who is used to getting his way, and getting attention. If such a guy wanted to break from Brad's vision, Brad could never reign him in, and it would kill him to see what he considers an inefficient plan implemented.

Agreed. Judging Stevens on the performance this past season is absurd. And I suspect Stevens will be leaning towards Larranagga because bringing in an older vet player who doesn't know them and their personalities could turn off the team. None of these young players have played for anyone at the pro level other than Brad. In some cases they've never played for any coach at any level as long as they have for Brad (and Jay.) Larranagga provides a sense of continuity and security after a major upheaval and a season from hell.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:42 pm

I have tried to say this many times. Look at the pass the press and fans are giving the Lakers because of injuries. Look at Miami, they got beat in four straight, little to no negative press about that, although that may be because Riley is keeping the lid closed. Hey, he may be the next one stepping down, who knows???

Laranaga comes from a basketball family, highly regarded. Allen has relationships with the players, I remember him going home with IT after his sister died. The players listen to him. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The one thing I would like is for people to stop the negativity and give this a chance. All these conspiracy theories are crazy. Why do people think they know what really happened when they know nothing. Danny retired. he gave us 18 years of his life, and is going home. What he does next is his business. He will always be a Celtic at heart.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:18 pm

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/06/03/danny-ainge-may-not-be-retired-reports-link-him-to-jazz-for-next-role/

Danny Ainge may not be retired, reports link him to Jazz for next role

By Kurt Helin

Jun 3, 2021, 9:00 AM EDT

After 18 years running the Boston Celtics, Danny Ainge stepped away as the Celtics president of basketball operations, turning that job over to Brad Stevens.

However, Danny Ainge may not be retired “retired.”

Ainge said in a press conference announcing the change in Boston he didn’t know what was next for him; however, multiple reports link him to the Utah Jazz. From Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated:

Chris Mannix
@SIChrisMannix
·
Jun 2
As Danny Ainge moves on from Boston, a possible landing spot, in some capacity: The Utah Jazz. As rumors of Ainge's exit rippled through the NBA in recent months, a role with the Jazz has been seen as a potential next step.

Ainge played his college ball at BYU and reportedly is close to new Jazz owner Ryan Smith (both were born in Eugene, Oregon, and both went to BYU).

Utah has an excellent front office in place, led by Dennis Lindsey — he put together the roster with the best record in the NBA this season and are title contenders. There is no reason the Jazz should be making changes. Also, there are also new owners and a new ownership style in Utah, maybe that changes the dynamic.

There would be a couple of possibilities if Ainge were to come to Utah. One is that Lindsey moves on to another franchise to run its organization, and Ainge steps into Lindsey’s role. The other is Ainge takes on more of a Jerry West-style consultant role advising new owner Smith and having a voice in the Jazz front office, but not the final say.

Either way, don’t be surprised if that comes together down the line (likely not soon, but eventually). It’s something to watch.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I posted it so you all can read it and discuss it, but it seems to me like a lot of drivel by Kurt Helin (who's usually not bad, at least not this bad).  Utah has new management, a new front office and no reason to change.  So, what's the oomph behind this article?  He's friends with the Jazz' owner.  Well, yeah.  He was the GM of an NBA franchise for 18 years, he knows everybody in that world; owners, GMs, coaches and players.  Hell, I bet he knows the cheerleaders he's been around so long.  IF, however, he does go with another franchise then we'll know the "I've been thinking about this day since I had my heart attack" story was baloney.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:31 pm

I think the Celtics need to go completely outside of their organization and find a coach. That coach should have NBA head coaching experience already.  A former NBA player would in my way of thinking be another option although he would need to surround himself with an experienced and diverse coaching staff.

The players on this team do not need to be made to feel comfortable.  They are well paid employees and have an obligation to do their jobs and do them well.  And if their play is outside the lines they need a coach who is fair but also tough enough to set them on track.

If Boston looks to fill their coaching vacancy with one of the current assistants, it will complete the circle that is already looking like a good ole boy transition.

Last edited by dboss on Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next