Vankisa
Ktron
bobheckler
atcross
dboss
16 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Celtics coaching search guide: The candidates and probabilities - Page 4 Empty Re: Celtics coaching search guide: The candidates and probabilities

Post by Ktron Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm

Rick Carlisle is now available.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Celtics coaching search guide: The candidates and probabilities - Page 4 Empty Re: Celtics coaching search guide: The candidates and probabilities

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:03 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-coaching-rumors-chauncey-billups-180320291.html

Celtics coaching rumors: Chauncey Billups among second interview candidates

Darren Hartwell
Fri, June 18, 2021, 8:03 AM

We have some early frontrunners in the Boston Celtics' coaching search, it appears.

The Celtics hope to interview three head coach candidates -- Los Angeles Clippers assistant Chauncey Billups, Milwaukee Bucks assistant Darvin Ham and Brooklyn Nets assistant Ime Udoka -- for a second time, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Friday.

Billups, Ham and Udoka were among the first candidates the Celtics contacted after interviewing internal candidates for the head coach job previously occupied by Brad Stevens, who is now the team's president of basketball operations.

A recent report noted the C's prefer a young coach who is Black, has NBA playing and/or coaching experience and has a reputation for relating well with players. Billups, Ham and Udoka meet those criteria, as all three played in the NBA and are regarded as top assistants with bright coaching futures.

The Boston Herald's Mark Murphy reports that Boston has "three or four" strong coaching candidates, and it appears Billups, Ham and Udoka are in that group. Murphy also noted Rick Carlisle isn't considered a serious candidate for the Celtics job after parting ways with the Dallas Mavericks.

The C's are one of seven teams with head coach vacancies, so it makes sense why they're making a push to interview their top candidates a second time.

Bob
MY NOTE:  None of those 3 candidates have any NBA head coaching experience.  Billups has an NBA Championship as a player, but has never been part of an NBA Champion coaching team.

I'm not all happy about this.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:13 pm

I heard this morning on Zolac and Bertrand that Jay Larranaga had a second interview and is being pushed by Jason Tatum. He is very close to him. I just do not think this is a good idea, but he is supposed to have a very smart basketball mind. In my eyes he would be coaching like Brad, too close,
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:40 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I heard this morning on Zolac and Bertrand that Jay Larranaga had a second interview and is being pushed by Jason Tatum. He is very close to him.  I just do not think this is a good idea, but he is supposed to have a very smart basketball mind. In my eyes he would be coaching like Brad, too close,

Rosalie,

Jaylen is pushing for a black coach. If Jayson wants Larranaga he should get Jaylen on board with that.

Tacko would also be thrilled with Larranaga's ascension. Nobody has spent more time, nor been a bigger supporter, of Tacko than Jay Larranaga.

What I do like, though, is that the #1 Celtic is a fan of our coaching staff. Tatum is a very coachable player, you can see the leaps and bounds in his game every year because he works with Drew Hanlon in the off-season. If he likes Jay Larranaga that says good things about Jay Larranga.

I'm just a little concerned with having 3 Js upfront-and-center. I'm easily confused.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:24 pm

bobheckler wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I heard this morning on Zolac and Bertrand that Jay Larranaga had a second interview and is being pushed by Jason Tatum. He is very close to him.  I just do not think this is a good idea, but he is supposed to have a very smart basketball mind. In my eyes he would be coaching like Brad, too close,

Rosalie,

Jaylen is pushing for a black coach.  If Jayson wants Larranaga he should get Jaylen on board with that.

Tacko would also be thrilled with Larranaga's ascension.  Nobody has spent more time, nor been a bigger supporter, of Tacko than Jay Larranaga.

What I do like, though, is that the #1 Celtic is a fan of our coaching staff.  Tatum is a very coachable player, you can see the leaps and bounds in his game every year because he works with Drew Hanlon in the off-season.  If he likes Jay Larranaga that says good things about Jay Larranga.

I'm just a little concerned with having 3 Js upfront-and-center.  I'm easily confused.

Bob

. Stevens Lite

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 pm

The Celtics should not promote Larranaga.

This team needs a change. A new head coach and new assistants. Cleanout your desk and stop by HR on your way out.

The candidates that appear to be the front runners are all qualify and viable replacements.

The Celtics could also go find another NBA coach who was fired or left if they are into recycling but I think coaching opportunities for the Celtics and many other teams needs to be expanded.

Ime Udoka a former NBA spent 6 years as an assistant under pop.

Billups is my #1 choice and at least has a year as an assistant with the Clippers

Ham I do not know much about. He was a pretty intense player and is a coach Bud assistant.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:50 pm

dboss wrote:The Celtics should not promote Larranaga.

This team needs a change.  A new head coach and new assistants.  Cleanout your desk and stop by HR on your way out.

The candidates that appear to be the front runners are all qualify and viable replacements.

The Celtics could also go find another NBA coach who was fired or left if they are into recycling but I think coaching opportunities for the Celtics and many other teams needs to be expanded.

Billups is my #1 choice and at least has a year as an assistant with the Clippers

Ham I do not know much about.  He was a pretty intense player and is a coach Bud assistant.

dboss, And of all the job openings out there, would you agree that Boston is the most attractive? The other teams with openings all have major issues that we don’t have which should help us in getting the coach we want.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:49 pm

Ktron wrote:

This team needs a change.  A new head coach and new assistants.  Cleanout your desk and stop by HR on your way out.

Ham I do not know much about.  He was a pretty intense player and is a coach Bud assistant.

dboss, And of all the job openings out there, would you agree that Boston is the most attractive? The other teams with openings all have major issues that we don’t have which should help us in getting the coach we want.

ktron

Yes I would agree. Folks should be standing in line waiting to get in.

I think the Dallas and Portland openings are also pretty high profile opportunities mainly because those teams have at least one elite player. I guess I should include Washington in their as well since they have Beal and Westbrook.

If I had to pick a team with a pairing of 2 high end players to coach it would be Boston hands down.

NOLA - dead end job
Orlando - dead end job
Pacers - lack of elite talent
Dallas - developing problem child is top player
Washington - history of non-compete culture
Portland - destined to be never quite good enough
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm

NOLA actually has alot of talent, many would compare Zion and Ingram to the 2 J’s. I like our guys better than Ingram and as good as Zion is, he is not a good defender and has yet to impact winning. Lonzo Ball is an up and coming PG and could help many teams, this team should be much better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:18 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

ktron

Yes I would agree.  Folks should be standing in line waiting to get in.  

I think the Dallas and Portland openings are also pretty high profile opportunities mainly because those teams have at least one elite player.  I guess I should include Washington in their as well since they have Beal and Westbrook.

If I had to pick a team with a pairing of 2 high end players to coach it would be Boston hands down.

NOLA - dead end job
Orlando -  dead end job
Pacers  - lack of elite talent
Dallas - developing problem child is top player
Washington - history of non-compete culture
Portland - destined to be never quite good enough
Washington’s situation may be a little more sketchy as to not knowing if Beal is going to be moved or not. If i have my druthers as a coach I’d avoid that place. True, Dallas has an elite problem child but the front office situation is a mess and if Voulgaris is still around its probably going to get worse.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:41 pm

I was listening to a podcast yesterday with Cedric Maxwell about the coaching change. Of course he feels that it will or should be a black coach filling this spot. His first choice was Billups, but then he had a dark horse, someone no one has mentioned..A former Celtic, former coach, former winner with experience dealing with young superstars. Brian Shaw.

I have no idea where this came from unless he has heard it somewhere or is still in contact with Shaw. I have not heard his name at all, maybe he backed away from basketball completely, but it was an interesting name to toss about.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I was listening to a podcast yesterday with Cedric Maxwell about the coaching change.  Of course he feels that it will or should be a black coach filling this spot.  His first choice was Billups, but then he had a dark horse, someone no one has mentioned..A former Celtic, former coach, former winner with experience dealing with young superstars.  Brian Shaw.  

I have no idea where this came from unless he has heard it somewhere or is still in contact with Shaw.  I have not heard his name at all, maybe he backed away from basketball completely, but it was an interesting name to toss about.

Rosalie,

Cedric Maxwell is a troll, otherwise what was he thinking?  Brian Shaw ain't walking through that door.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021220085507/http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Court%20Rulings/CelticsvShaw.htm

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/908/1041/169143/

It's a different ownership group now, but I cannot imagine Shaw is anything but persona non grata 'round here.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:51 pm

I forgot all about that, shame on me. He sounded like he had an inside scoop!!!!!!!!! No way they would deal with him. I do wonder what he is doing, it is like he fell off the face of the basketball world.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Brian Shaw is the coach for NBA G League Ignite:

https://ignite.gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-announces-ignite-as-name-for-team-of-elite-prospects/

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:17 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I forgot all about that, shame on me.  He sounded like he had an inside scoop!!!!!!!!!  No way they would deal with him.  I do wonder what he is doing, it is like he fell off the face of the basketball world.

Return to the Lakers (2016–2019)
In June 2016, Shaw returned to the Los Angeles Lakers as the team's newest associate head coach under new head coach Luke Walton's coaching staff.

I guess after Walton was canned, Shaw was too

I would not want Shaw anyways.  I remember that he left us to sign with LA and it pissed a lot of fans off including myself.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:00 pm

I read that he became the head of a G League team, before Covid. I think it might be Denver?? Not sure, but that was the last I could find of him,
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:07 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I read that he became the head of a G League team, before Covid.   I think it might be Denver??  Not sure, but that was the last I could find of him,

Look up ^^^

NBA G League Ignite is not affiliated with a team.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:35 pm

Amir Johnson, Jarret Jack???? Just cannot walk away from the game huh?
Thanks for pointing that out to me. Missed it, I would have thought they were G Leaguers. Still do not get the purpose of this league, one step closer to the big leagues? Sad to me
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:59 pm

gyso wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I was listening to a podcast yesterday with Cedric Maxwell about the coaching change.  Of course he feels that it will or should be a black coach filling this spot.  His first choice was Billups, but then he had a dark horse, someone no one has mentioned..A former Celtic, former coach, former winner with experience dealing with young superstars.  Brian Shaw.  

I have no idea where this came from unless he has heard it somewhere or is still in contact with Shaw.  I have not heard his name at all, maybe he backed away from basketball completely, but it was an interesting name to toss about.

Rosalie,

Cedric Maxwell is a troll, otherwise what was he thinking?  Brian Shaw ain't walking through that door.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021220085507/http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Court%20Rulings/CelticsvShaw.htm

It's a different ownership group now, but I cannot imagine Shaw is anything but persona non grata 'round here.

Gyso,
That was over 30 years ago and Brian Shaw came back and played for the C’s 90-92. Surely if he has something to offer the franchise would at least give him a look see. They’re weird but I doubt they’re stupid.
Max is more tapped in then we are so maybe there is a chance that he’s not trolling his own team.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 pm

dboss wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I forgot all about that, shame on me.  He sounded like he had an inside scoop!!!!!!!!!  No way they would deal with him.  I do wonder what he is doing, it is like he fell off the face of the basketball world.

In June 2016, Shaw returned to the Los Angeles Lakers as the team's newest associate head coach under new head coach Luke Walton's coaching staff.

I would not want Shaw anyways.  I remember that he left us to sign with LA and it pissed a lot of fans off including myself.
Waaaaaaaaa Mad

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:14 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

Waaaaaaaaa Mad

Exactly he’s a traitor

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:16 pm

Tyronne Lue just said that black coaches are looked down upon in the NBA:

It's hard for me to imagine such a stupid, racist thing, but I guess I have to reexamine my own naivete.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 pm

What made him make that remark??>. He certainly has risen in the ranks fast, I wonder what brought that statement on?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:16 pm

Probably that there are only 7 black head coaches in a league where 78% of the players are African-American and MJ is the sole black owner.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 pm

I guess you are right, that is why there will be a black coach here. It will send a message from management that they are listening
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next