NYCelt
worcester
Vankisa
sinus007
bobheckler
Ktron
10 posters

Go down

PORZINGIS ANYONE?? Empty PORZINGIS ANYONE??

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am

PORZINGIS ANYONE?? 2999fa10
Could Dallas trade Kristaps Porzingis? It’s in play - and the oddsmakers know it.
The imperfect fit between the Dallas Mavericks and Kristaps Porzingis is, now that the team’s NBA season is over, a sort of “open

We are quite sure Dallas will attempt to trade KP this off-season in search of a different partner for Luka Doncic.
And the oddsmakers seem to be of the same mind.
This just in: 

With every performance by Porzingis that didn’t live up to his max-money contract, more doubt inevitably started to creep in, and in the end, he was a sidebar contributor in Dallas’ Round 1 playoff loss to the Clippers.

Our own Grant Afseth recently wrote about how the Mavs could take advantage of the dysfunction the Indiana Pacers are currently experiencing and snag T.J. Warren. And we will  examine a host of other names, too. (Boston’s Marcus Smart, anybody? Buddy? Lauri? Oubre? Lonzo?) But one DallasBasketball.com source has us sniffing around another Pacers possibility.
According to said source, there could be interest that would unite the Mavs and Pacers’ versatile big man Myles Turner. If Dallas does ultimately decide to move on from Porzingis, trading him to Indiana for Turner might be one of the more realistic options the Mavs front office
Turner only averaged 12.6 points and 6.5 rebounds per game this season, but he also averages a league-best 3.4 blocks per game. Turner may not be the volume scorer Porzingis is (or at least that KP was in the regular season), but his consistent defense could make him a much better fit next to Doncic in coach Rick Carlisle’s offense.
Think of the impact Willie Cauley-Stein has on defense when he enters the game for Porzingis. That’s essentially what it would be like for Turner in Dallas, except he’s better and more consistent on both ends of the floor.

“He’s the future of the 5-position in the NBA,” said Carlisle of Turner a few years ago when it was again rumored that that the Mavs had interest in him.
“(Turner is) a guy that can roll and finish above the rim. Half-roll and make plays. He can shoot mid range and he can shoot long-range. And he can drive the ball. He’s got the whole skill-set and he’s still very young.”
Two years later, all of that still remains true. Also true is our willingness to bet that Porzingis’ moping and pouting has about reached its end in Dallas.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

PORZINGIS ANYONE?? Empty Re: PORZINGIS ANYONE??

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:32 am

I offered up a Porzingis-for-Kemba scenario on the "Players that MAY become available" thread.

The $ work. Two years left on Kemba's contract and 3 on Zinger's.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi,
Is KP good on defense?
Can we get Luca instead?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:51 pm

I mean a straight up trade with Kemba ? Probably go for it.

But it is not a good solution in my opinion - We would just be trading one lame horse for another... We already have a center that cannot play a whole game on a consistent basis. Do we need a second one?

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:51 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Is KP good on defense?
Can we get Luca instead?

AK

Luca for Kemba go go go Very Happy

They will have to give us more even - Kemba is paid much better than Luca.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:37 pm

KP would help us more than KW. Period. Even swap money wise would work for us. Only downside is that KP has 3 years left, but that may be a bonus if he plays well for us. Paired with Tristan and RW we'd have a decent center rotation and just be in need of a PG.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:31 am

A big who is inconsistent on D and can’t stay on the floor.

Not the player we need.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:21 am

NYCelt, yes KP has deficiencies, but compared to KW he is a plus. Is he a solid player? No. Would he be better for us than KW? Probably.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:08 pm

worcester wrote:NYCelt, yes KP has deficiencies, but compared to KW he is a plus. Is he a solid player? No. Would he be better for us than KW? Probably.

If he can contribute more minutes than Walker, I would agree.

I hope we can do better than either one of those two. Fingers crossed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm

I would avoid trading for a high salaried player that has a history of injuries.  That is what happened when Danny signed KW.  You cannot fix that by doing it again.

Although moving Kemba may be at the top of the priority list it does not have to happen this offseason and it probably will not happen.

Kemba should not be moved until you have a viable replacement in mind.  PP could become our starting PG but I do not know if he will be ready next year.  I do not like Marcus at the point as a fulltime starting PG.  He's too inconsistent and he is slow. And then if you did the Porzingis trade what do you do with Robert Williams?

Trades often have unintended consequences.  

Celtics fans really need to prepare themselves for a step back.  It is going to take luxury tax level spending to contend and the owners are not ready to do that this upcoming season.  So forget about Fournier staying (unless he took a salary reduction) Actually I would not even try to resign him. Do not expect an extension for Marcus Smart.  

What we can look forward to is the continued development of young guys like RW, PP, AN and apparently RL.  A new coach is coming in and the J's are now well established as one of the best pairings in the league.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm

dboss - the Celtics owners have to be careful with their penny pinching. For one thing, Boston sports fandom is intense, and people and media will start to turn on the team if they feel that there is no good faith effort to field a competitive team. More importantly, if the Js don't feel like Boston is trying to build a winner they will (and should) take their talents elsewhere. I am not as gloomy as you. Even if we stay pat, next year's team will be better. The two Js will have had another year's experience, and will just be entering their physical primes. RWIII could really blossom next year. If we re-sign Fournier, he can fulfill the role he was meant to fill. Kemba may not be ideal, but he is good enough to be a starting pg on a competitive team, and may surprise with a few months to get his knee right. If we traded him for Porzingis, that might be okay also. Despite proclamations to the contrary, Porzingis is still a good player with lots of potential (last year, 20 ppg, 9 rbg, PER=20; those are not 'back-up' center numbers). Also, a new voice could really make a difference for these guys. Finally, we have been through this before. After KI left, people here and elsewhere were so down on the Celtics - the rebuild failed, Tatum was over-rated, Brown was an athletic guy but not much else. Then we made it to the ECF. For whatever reason, this team does poorly with high expectations. I think that even if we pretty much run it back, as long as we stay healthy, we will be much better.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:45 pm

I have never understood the fascination with Porzingis. He has been unhappy everywhere he has been , and the teams have , obviously, been less than thrilled with his play, attitude and availability. Dallas won't take Kemba for him and giving up JB in a trade for him would be straight up insanity.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:10 pm

I have no hope for Kemba playing healthy again, but I sure hope I am wrong. Re KP and RW - I expect both to be injury prone, but I hope - again that word - that they won't both be injured at the same time. Their minutes can overlap to give us rea strength and production at the center position.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm

dboss wrote:I would avoid trading for a high salaried player that has a history of injuries.  That is what happened when Danny signed KW.  You cannot fix that by doing it again.

Although moving Kemba may be at the top of the priority list it does not have to happen this offseason and it probably will not happen.

Kemba should not be moved until you have a viable replacement in mind.  PP could become our starting PG but I do not know if he will be ready next year.  I do not like Marcus at the point as a fulltime starting PG.  He's too inconsistent and he is slow. And then if you did the Porzingis trade what do you do with Robert Williams?

Trades often have unintended consequences.  

Celtics fans really need to prepare themselves for a step back.  It is going to take luxury tax level spending to contend and the owners are not ready to do that this upcoming season.  So forget about Fournier staying (unless he took a salary reduction) Actually I would not even try to resign him.   Do not expect an extension for Marcus Smart.  

What we can look forward to is the continued development of young guys like RW, PP, AN and apparently RL.  A new coach is coming in and the J's are now well established as one of the best pairings in the league.

Boss Boss!! You’re that sold on PP (Hope you’re not referring to our ‘Playoff PP’) being our starting point guard? Do you think he is that good yet? Maybe someday but not tomorrow imho. I don’t know why you think Marcus is too slow to play the position? How fast must one be? PP ain’t exactly Usain Bolt in green either. I still think we need to find another Point but Marcus will suffice for now. We had this discussion about the J’s and MP. And it looks as though we need to revisit a portion of it. If the C’s snag KP, RW can play some PF! I am curious as to why you don’t feel that these players cannot play more than one position. It’s 2021. They're interchangeable or better be. I know, some cannot, but the ones we are talking about certainly are flexible and I don’t see a drop off if one has to move from one to the other. RW can play the PF and is probably more suitable there.
You’ve mentioned the owners and their reluctance to the luxury tax, not signing Fournier(just admit that you hate the guy) and not extending Smart (just admit that you hate him too :>). I’m not disagreeing with you and thats only because (1) They cheap as s**t. (2) You’ve this mentioned so many times that I have to believe you have their phones tapped because you are thoroughly convinced. I’m not thorough but I’m getting there.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Wyc is parsimonious, but I don't fault him for not wanting to spend big $$ on Fournier.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 pm

worcester wrote:Wyc is parsimonious, but I don't fault him for not wanting to spend big $$ on Fournier.

Are we sure of the prior? Reports indicate that the owners will pay luxury tax for a contender. Last season we weren't and so they avoided the LT. I prefer to wait and see what happens this summer before I call the team owners a fancy word for "cheap rat bastards". (yes, I had to google it!) LOL

Are we sure of the latter? My guess is they resign him, or at least try to resign him. His skill set cannot be replaced in free agency, at least at the taxpayer's MLE.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm

I am sure of nothing. Just speculating, but I don't think Evan is worth $17M. If I had the money I would be the parsimonius one.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down