bobheckler
worcester
cowens/oldschool
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Marcus Smart - Page 2 Empty Re: Marcus Smart

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:35 am

I hope he stays. I love the guy. This contact, however, could actually facilitate a trade with respect to salary matching. I have a feeling that Marcus is Udoka's kind of guy, though
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:29 am

It was going to be a keep EF or Marcus.

Obvious choice.

Marcus can just go out and play and not worry about his contract.  He is not in limbo.

It is not a foregone conclusion that the Celtics are looking at adding a 3rd star.

Give me our 2 top guys and 3 or 4 other guys who can all be that 3rd guy.

Seems Boston is quite comfortable with the develpment of some young guys on the team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:10 am

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
The money is obviously good, but I also talked to Smart one time about how he felt a little stung that he was never the starting PG over the years (IT arrived his second season, then Kyrie, then Kemba etc.). Happy for him and interested to see how this plays out.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:14 am

bobheckler wrote:Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
The money is obviously good, but I also talked to Smart one time about how he felt a little stung that he was never the starting PG over the years (IT arrived his second season, then Kyrie, then Kemba etc.). Happy for him and interested to see how this plays out.

Bob

Enough depth at PG.  As far as Marcus goes, if he is not taking a lot of 3 pointers then he can be efficient at both ends.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Well, I guess this puts Mannix's rumor to bed. Last night the one person I never listen to was on the tv, of course his first reaction was that Smart is overpaid, second, Jason Tatum congratulated him but no Jaylem Brown, so his opinion is that Brown was not happy that they resigned him. UGH, these Boston reporters. You are damned if you do and damned if you don"t
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm

dboss wrote:It was going to be a keep EF or Marcus.

Obvious choice.

Marcus can just go out and play and not worry about his contract.  He is not in limbo.

It is not a foregone conclusion that the Celtics are looking at adding a 3rd star.

Seems Boston is quite comfortable with the develpment of some young guys on the team.

Clippers didn’t need the 3rd supposed superstar and our guys are a lot younger

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:12 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Well, I guess this puts Mannix's rumor to bed.  Last night the one person I never listen to was on the tv, of course his first reaction was that Smart is overpaid, second, Jason Tatum congratulated him but no Jaylem Brown, so his opinion is that Brown was not happy that they resigned him.  UGH, these Boston reporters. You are damned if you do and damned if you don"t

I saw on some blogs Mannix was the rat that started these trade Marcus rumors, now he’s spewing more nonsense, what an utter fu.kin as.hole…!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:25 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Obvious choice.

Clippers didn’t win.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:27 pm

Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Obvious choice.

Clippers didn’t win.

No sh.t, they would have easily gotten to Finals with Kawhi

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Obvious choice.

Clippers didn’t win.

No sh.t, they would have easily gotten to Finals with Kawhi

What makes you so certain of that……? They didn’t get there the year before WITH him.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:26 pm

NYCelt wrote:Excellent move.

To attract free agents later, you first need some building blocks in place.

Tatum, Brown and Smart under contract should be a good look when trying to put the rest of the puzzle together.

+1 bingo

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Losing KL was huge.

I think the Clips were playing excellent ball but when he went down they missed all the things he does at the level he does it at.

Injuries impacted several elite teams in the playoffs.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Ktron did you watch the games?

My eyes tell me their 2 wings were playing very well at the right time of the year, won 4 straight against Luka; their coaching was also much better this year, Lue was making alot of good moves. Even without Kawhi at all, they still won 2 games in that series.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:48 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Ktron did you watch the games?

My eyes tell me their 2 wings were playing very well at the right time of the year, won 4 straight against Luka; their coaching was also much better this year, Lue was making alot of good moves. Even without Kawhi at all, they still won 2 games in that series.

I watched. They were down 0-2 against the Mavs and 0-2 against the Jazz with him. They were down 2-1 to the Jazz when Leonard went out so they won almost 3 in that series without him and 3 more against the Suns without him. Sure, there’s a good CHANCE they could’ve won but “easily”? Their wings AND guards were playing well. Lue is a good coach. However, You’re dismissing the Suns, their good coach and some pretty damn good players. KW is my favorite player. No disrespect there. Maybe the Clips would’ve got there with KL. Maybe not.

Last edited by Ktron on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:51 pm

dboss wrote:Losing KL was huge.

I think the Clips were playing excellent ball but when he went down they missed all the things he does at the level he does it at.

No doubt. But we’ll never know what would’ve happened. Suns were playing at a high level too.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 pm

KW is your favorite player, Ktron? You can't mean Kemba Walker. Who is KW?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:15 am

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Losing KL was huge.

No doubt. But we’ll never know what would’ve happened. Suns were playing at a high level too.
True, no argument from me on that count.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:37 pm

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/stephen-a-smith-marcus-smart-contract/

Heavy.com
Sports
Heavy on Celtics

Stephen A. Smith Goes off on Epic Marcus Smart Rant: ‘Ain’t No Way!’

By Vinny Somma
Updated Aug 18, 2021 at 6:05pm

Turns out the Boston Celtics‘ heir apparent to Kemba Walker has actually been roaming the team’s backcourt for the past seven seasons. The Celtics handed Marcus Smart a massive $77.1 million contract extension this past weekend and subsequently — albeit unofficially — the keys to their offense.

While the move means the former No. 6 overall pick could remain in Beantown for another four seasons, the pricepoint has been met with some pushback in NBA circles. A near $80 million payday for a defensive-first guard just doesn’t sit well with some. However, don’t you dare bunch ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith into that group, who finds the idea of Celtics fans being anything less than ecstatic rather blasphemous.

Stephen A. Makes Fiery Argument for Smart’s Extension
In a somewhat shocking turn of events, the highly-outspoken, always entertaining basketball mind went on the offensive when discussing Smart’s deal during his “Ain’t No Way!” segment on “Stephen A.’s World.” Here’s what he said:

The Boston Celtics yesterday agreed to terms with Marcus Smart on a four-year $77.2 million contract extension that could keep Smart in Boston through the 2025-2026 season. And this Smart contract means it’s time for ‘Ain’t No Way!'” Smith exclaimed. “Because guess what, there is no way that Marcus Smart should be getting less than $20 million a year. That’s right, I said it. You didn’t expect that, did you? You thought I was gonna go off the other way, say he was overpaid but ‘Ain’t No Way!’ I’m saying that.

Because Marcus Smart is a starter on a perennial playoff team. A seven-year veteran, 27 years of age, a former first-round draft pick and most importantly one of the elite defenders in the game of basketball,” Smith added. “And he’s getting less than $20 million a year in today’s NBA economy. I know, this was the max he could get and I understand that. But hear this, ‘Ain’t No Way!’ a player of Smart’s skill set should get this kind of contract in today’s game.

And don’t tell me about his struggle shooting the ball. Not when Ben Simmons is making over $35 million a year. I don’t want to hear that,” he stated. “Brad Stevens and the Celtics did very well for themselves. Ain’t no way Celtics fans should be complaining about this contract, I’ll tell you that much.

You can check out Smith’s mini-tirade of sorts in all its glory below:

Is Smart Ready to Be Boston’s Lead Guard?

By no means is Smart the perfect point guard. Yes, his shot selection still remains sporadic at times. Although, as Chad Finn of the Boston Globe pointed out, the constant hounding he receives for it may be a bit overdone.

“Smart averaged 10.6 attempts per game last season, and averages nine attempts per game for his career,” Finn wrote. “He even makes a few; his 3-point percentage over the past three seasons, 34.8, is higher than that of Trae Young and Devin Booker.”

Despite taking a minimal stepback defensively in some eyes — due to injuries — the Oklahoma State product is coming off arguably the best professional season of his career. In 48 games (45 starts), Smart averaged career highs in points (13.1) and assists (5.7). His 39.8% field goal percentage was also good enough for the second-best output of his career.

Of course, plenty of what makes Smart so pivotal to the Celtics goes well beyond the box score, from serving as the team’s emotional leader to his willingness to make the grunt plays that rarely garner the deserving recognition. With that said, the C’s have clearly taken notice, and while we could argue the numbers of the contract, the fact of the matter is the team’s longest-tenured player is here to stay for a bit longer.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Perhaps the Celts 2nd best move of the the 2021 season, right behind giving JT his extension.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 am

Who is KW?

Styles make fights. Who on the Suns would have matched up with Kawhi if he wasn’t injured? plus you also have PG, who picked it up this year in playoffs. Booker is not an elite defender. Kawhi was on a roll, just don’t see anyone on Suns that could match up defensively with Kawhi and PG if they bring their A games.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:16 pm

worcester wrote:KW is your favorite player, Ktron? You can't mean Kemba Walker. Who is KW?

I meant Kawhi Leonard.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:21 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Who is KW?

Styles make fights. Who on the Suns would have matched up with Kawhi if he wasn’t injured? plus you also have PG, who picked it up this year in playoffs. Booker is not an elite defender. Kawhi was on a roll, just don’t see anyone on Suns that could match up defensively with Kawhi and PG if they bring their A games.

KW is Kawhi Leonard. My bad. You have a couple of “if’s in there which is exactly my point. It’s speculative.We don’t know for sure. You appear certain I’m not so lets just leave it there.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:36 am

The big if is if he wasn’t injured. Who’s the best player in that series in resume and stature? Gotta be the 2 time Finals MVP with multiple all defensive appearances too. Sorry if I am certain and it bothers you.

If KG doesn’t go down in 09 and if Perk in 10….I realize if’s and injuries are part of the game, but I like our chances without a 3rd superstar. In an off year we still beat the Bucks 2 out of 3. This team has depth and veterans that it lacked last year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:The big if is if he wasn’t injured. Who’s the best player in that series in resume and stature? Gotta be the 2 time Finals MVP with multiple all defensive appearances too. Sorry if I am certain and it bothers you.

If KG doesn’t go down in 09 and if Perk in 10….I realize if’s and injuries are part of the game, but I like our chances without a 3rd superstar. In an off year we still beat the Bucks 2 out of 3. This team has depth and veterans that it lacked last year.

You don’t have to convince me of Leonard’s greatness. I love him and his game. I totally agree with you on that. Doesn’t bother me in the least bit that you’re certain. All of the intangibles you mentioned are as you said part of the game. Injuries, bad calls by officials and coaches making dumb mistakes like installing a zone with .5 are always going to be there. Lol My HS coach said it Best- “winners almost lose and losers almost win”.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:23 am

Kawhi has been one of my favorite players too and the measuring stick I have been using with charting the growth of the 2 J’s. I loved him as an impact defensive role player, before he developed his offensive game to such great heights. I have even more respect for him and posted it on the board back a few seasons ago; when he was being heavily recruited by Lebron and could have easily formed an unbeatable 3 superstar team of AD, Lebron and Kawhi, but choose to go in another direction vs Lebron with Clippers. He could have so easily been like Durant and choose the easy way out, instead for the good of the game he choose not to.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next