@celtics
·
15m
“I love Boston and Boston loves me” -
@smart_MS3
✍🏾☘

Marcus Smart - Page 3 E9VUi3AXoAUDkdK?format=jpg

Bob
MY NOTE:  You want to be the lead point guard, right, Marcus?  Great, love to hear it, we need a floor general.  You may be just what the doctor ordered, but that means directing the pieces on the chess board and passing the rock to them.  It does not mean chucking up 3s early in the shot clock.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart - Page 3 Empty Re: Marcus Smart

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:36 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 27 minutes ago
Marcus Smart in the Celtics’ announcement of his extension: “There’s nowhere else I’d rather play and no other fans I’d rather play in front of. I love Boston, and Boston loves me. We’ve had some great moments and success in my time here, but there’s more to accomplish.”

See new Tweets
Tweet
John Karalis 🇬🇷
@RedsArmy_John
·
19m
Boston Celtics officially announce Marcus Smart extension
Marcus Smart - Page 3 E9VX6gvXMAEbkAZ?format=jpg

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:20 pm

The Celtics have locked in guys that are part of their long term core.

Stability
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:00 am

As Sam would exhort, "Continuity!"
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:18 am

dboss wrote:The Celtics have locked in guys that are part of their long term core.

Stability

True.

Smart is also a good choice at point guard. Although I always favored seeing him as a 2/wing, his passing and ball handling skills fit the point well. I’d say his passing is vastly underrated. Smart’s defensive skills are beyond question and his shooting is better than some realize. He does need to improve shot selection and patience, but those are relatively simple adjustments. His accumulated collegiate and NBA experience playing point have been more than positive indicators that he’s a good fit.

3 solid young core players locked in.

To get where we all want to see the team go will get expensive from this point forward. But to surround the young core with enough talent to win, cost is a fact of NBA life. I believe we’ll see if there is any potential among the other 12 on the roster, keep a couple of those and shop from there. Get ready to open the wallet Wyc and Co. If you do, the ride will be fun.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:06 am

I’m looking forward to seeing Marcus more as a point, he really doesn’t have enough offensive scoring/shooting skills to be a SG/2. He’ll never be a poor mans version of Ray Allen or Devin Booker. He can play bully ball with opposing 1’s, especially the little ones. Him playing the point next to AN or Josh Richardson can work. I can also see him playing with PP and both taking turns initiating the offense.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 pm

NYCelt wrote:
dboss wrote:The Celtics have locked in guys that are part of their long term core.

Stability

True.

Smart is also a good choice at point guard. Although I always favored seeing him as a 2/wing, his passing and ball handling skills fit the point well. I’d say his passing is vastly underrated. Smart’s defensive skills are beyond question and his shooting is better than some realize. He does need to improve shot selection and patience, but those are relatively simple adjustments. His accumulated collegiate and NBA experience playing point have been more than positive indicators that he’s a good fit.

3 solid young core players locked in.

To get where we all want  to see the team go will get expensive from this point forward. But to surround the young core with enough talent to win, cost is a fact of NBA life. I believe we’ll see if there is any potential among the other 12 on the roster, keep a couple of those and shop from there. Get ready to open the wallet Wyc and Co. If you do, the ride will be fun.

NYCelt

From my observation Marcus has developed his play making skills. He is not a great shooter but he shoots the ball well enough to keep the defense honest.

He had a career high in assists at 5.8 and I think with a more singular playmaking role he could easily lead the team again in assists.

I am intrigued by the prospect of Ime playing some lineups with both Smart and Schroder. Talk about PIA defenders and agitators.

The cost of keeping a competitive team together is not cheap but apparently ownership must feel comfortable with the team to part with their money.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:24 pm

https://nesn.com/2021/08/how-will-celtics-use-marcus-smart-going-forward-ime-udoka-shares-thoughts/

How Will Celtics Use Marcus Smart Going Forward? Ime Udoka Shares Thoughts

Can Udoka get the best out of Smart?

by Logan Mullen

5 hours ago

Marcus Smart is locked back in long-term with the Boston Celtics, and now they need to figure out how they’ll use him.

New head coach Ime Udoka is a big fan of Smart, who under Brad Stevens’ guidance was often used as a sparkplug sixth man. That turned downward as Smart’s shot selection grew increasingly poor over the last few years.

It will take time to determine how the Celtics truly plan to use Smart. But on the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio Telethon, Udoka shed some light on how Smart might be used.

“We’re looking at a lot of different things,” Udoka said, via WEEI.com. “He’s obviously going to be called on to do a lot of things. But we haven’t finalized our roster all the way yet, so depending on what we do there we can go certain different ways. But we’ve talked to him a ton about it and made it clear we want him to take another step in his career. And by giving him that extension we have full faith in him.

“He has done great things. The age, and the toughness and the attitude he brings to the team is invaluable. For him to take another step is to have the ball in his hands more and be a playmaker and just be a great decision-maker for the guys. He realizes who he’s playing with and I think that will be a benefit with the new mentality that he has.”

What that new mentality is remains to be seen. However, the Celtics generally are a better team when Smart is available and doing what he does best.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Bob
MY NOTE:  Master Class.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down