Tim Thomas is available

2 posters

Go down

Tim Thomas is available Empty Tim Thomas is available

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 am

I would invite him in for a look,hes a legit 6'10" is a twenner,but I'd prefer my backup for Pierce to be a 3-4 tweener than a 2-3.Hes got range to spread floor and length to hang with the big 3's were gonna be facing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Tim Thomas is available Empty Re: Tim Thomas is available

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Cow,

I thought TT was strictly a PF, but apparently I'm wrong. This from 82games.com
http://www.82games.com/0809/08CHI13.HTM

He plays SF and PF and has a decent "winning percentage at both positions" but has a much better +/- at PF.

His PER at both positions are below league average (10.5 and 13.9), 15.0 being average. Now, before everybody starts jumping on my back about Hollinger's PER stats and how can I quote them when I've been just behind Sam in discounting them, 82games.com provides what I think is a relevant comparison that helps give them a bit more credence. Just below TT's PER by position stats is his opponent's PER stats by position. So, it might be possible by comparing TT's PER at SF to his opponent's PER at SF to see if he's better or worse than his opponents (as opposed to the league at-large). How does this make them better? Well, if his opponents have a better PER stat at SF than TT, then they scored better than him (that's a simplification, but the PER stat is weighted towards offense performance and undercredits defense). If TT's opponents are doing better offensively than him, then maybe he's not doing as good a job of containing them offensively against them and that does take defense into account somewhat. What would add even more clarity would be to be able to compare their PER vs TT against their regular PER, but that isn't realistically feasible.

TT's PERs at SF and PF are 10.5 and 13.9 respectively.
His opponent's PERs at SF and PER are 13.1 and 16.0 respectively.
He loses to his opponents at both positions.

Just another way of looking at him.

IF Tony Gaffney makes the team as the 3rd SF, his contract will be for the minimum and, I'll almost guarantee, if we need to replace him late in the season TT will still be available.

TT just got waived by the Mavs (which is why he's available) because he is choosing to spend time with his wife, caring for her during an undisclosed illness. Let's wish her well and commend him for having his priorities straight.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 pm

bob
I just thought he could be worth a look,with all our depth no way he finds the floor here at PF,just thought he could be a taller option at the 3.Its not like were gonna get an Igodala to come off the bench to stop Lebron and its not like anyone can stop him either.Could TT bother him a little more than Quis?Maybe,I see Bron going right through Quis like me going at my 15 year old son.
Glad we got alot of beef at the 4-5 and alot of fouls.
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:24 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob
I just thought he could be worth a look,with all our depth no way he finds the floor here at PF,just thought he could be a taller option at the 3.Its not like were gonna get an Igodala to come off the bench to stop Lebron and its not like anyone can stop him either.Could TT bother him a little more than Quis?Maybe,I see Bron going right through Quis like me going at my 15 year old son.
Glad we got alot of beef at the 4-5 and alot of fouls.
cow

cow,

Based upon my observations, which admittedly is not exactly a scientific experiment, I think that speed beats LeBron better than strength. Pierce and Tony did a great job on him, and neither of them are bigger than him, but they have the speed to keep him on the outside. I'm not sure I've ever seen LeBron post another player up. He always seems to try to take them off the dribble. No way TT stays in front of LBJ. Perimeter defense off the pick-and-roll will be critical when playing the Heat. It doesn't matter whether DWade, LBJ or Bosh are setting the pick or with the ball turning the corner, if they get a foot of daylight between them and their man they will be very dangerous.

I saw somewhere yesterday that the Celtics team of today is 2" taller, on average, than the Celtic team of last year. That's due, in part, to the arrival of The Big Shamrock, JO and the replacement of 6'4" Tony Allen with 6'4" Delonte West (so no loss of height there) and/or 6'4" Von Wafer. Who knows LBJ's moves better than West?

We got BIG, what we need is QUICK, especially at the 3. Quickness to defend at the perimeter.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm

All great points bob,but even facing up Bron is still a bull with as much power as speed,possibly as much as Malone or Barkley in their prime with more quickness,it takes a defensive team concept to stop him,luckily were fully loaded in the BIGS department.I know Quis can handle some lightweight 3's,but if we could find a Posey type defensively......oh well mavbe Baby at the 3 with help could be good change up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down