Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing?

5 posters

Go down

Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing? Empty Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing?

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:56 pm

Personally I'd rather have none of our players in the All-Star Game. I'd rather have them rest and recover, get away from the game mentally for a few days and just not participate. HOWEVER, in Jaylen's case, he had a $1.55M All-Star Bonus clause in his contract. Why is this good? Why would I care if billionaire owners have to cough up 1 1/2 million dollars for a player who deserves it? Because that All-Star bonus would have to be included in the team's salary cap numbers.

We've been assuming that Brad would have to make some trade if, for no other reason, to get under the cap so they have flexibility in trading in the coming off-season. But if Jaylen's ASG bonus doesn't hit the books then maybe Brad doesn't have to make a deal. He still might want to, he might want to move Schroder, for example, but he doesn't have to be quite as concerned with the amount of money he takes back. That provides him with a little more breathing room. It also means he can look at taking better players back in any trade.

Am I misunderstanding this?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing? Empty Re: Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing?

Post by dboss Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:11 pm

Bob total salaries including bonuses are included but Boston is more that Jaylen's bonus above the tax line. I think that they would need to shed another million dollars or so.

Jaylen should have been one of the 24 players selected. The Celtics struggles this season did not help his cause.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing? Empty Re: Is Jaylen Brown's All-Star Snub A Good Thing?

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:44 pm

I don’t know any GM that would take Van Fleet, Middleton or Jimmy Butler over Jaylen Brown. As a matter of fact, don’t know how Limelo Ball didn’t make the team. This whole process is flawed just like the all star game itself.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:18 pm

The whole idea of this annual fiasco is sickening. Ranking players is so subjective  Thats why I hate all of the “Top 100, 75, 50, 25, 10, 5 Mt Rushmorish nonsense. It’s so unfair. With that being said there is no way that you can conduct this fiasco and not include Jalen or Le Mello.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:02 pm

Typical popularity contest and a way for players, when they vote, to leave guys off on purpose. I totally agree that this ranking business is ridiculous. This will, I hope, light a bigger fire under Jaylen. The last time he got snubbed he had a terrific half of the season. I agree with one thing though. He missed a lot of games due to his injury and then Covid. That did not help him in the selection process.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:27 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Typical popularity contest and a way for players, when they vote, to leave guys off on purpose. I totally agree that this ranking business is ridiculous.  This will, I hope, light a bigger fire under Jaylen. The last time he got snubbed he had a terrific half of the season.  I agree with one thing though. He missed a lot of games due to his injury and then Covid. That did not help him in the selection process.  

True the real problem was also the teams record and performance, other players with better records on their teams, but less abilities got in because that’s where the league is; they are emphasizing stars leading their teams to wins over stats. Guess they are emphasizing Bill Russell and winning intangibles over Wilt Chamberlain and stats. Well at least this Celtic team finally found their identity and have figured out how to win, other teams like Nets and Hornets are suddenly struggling and we can still play much better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:24 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Typical popularity contest and a way for players, when they vote, to leave guys off on purpose. I totally agree that this ranking business is ridiculous.  This will, I hope, light a bigger fire under Jaylen. The last time he got snubbed he had a terrific half of the season.  I agree with one thing though. He missed a lot of games due to his injury and then Covid. That did not help him in the selection process.  

True the real problem was also the teams record and performance, other players with better records on their teams, but less abilities got in because that’s where the league is; they are emphasizing stars leading their teams to wins over stats. Guess they are emphasizing Bill Russell and winning intangibles over Wilt Chamberlain and stats. Well at least this Celtic team finally found their identity and have figured out how to win, other teams like Nets and Hornets are suddenly struggling and we can still play much better.

Cow,

Absolutely the team's record had something to do with it. Conference leading teams will have more All-Stars than teams in the middle of the pack. For it to be any other way would make people's heads explode.

A couple of years ago Kemba was an All-Star starter, so he was a lock, and Tatum was added as a reserve. There was no way Jaylen was going to make the team, not when Miami didn't have any, so they gave the last two ASG reserve spots to Butler and Bam. Comparable team records, both had two All-Stars. Three-and-one would have stood out.

It's a damn shame too. Personally, I think Jaylen deserves to be on the ASG team more than Jayson but Jayson is the NBA's Golden Child.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down