10 day contracts added

+2
bobheckler
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

10 day contracts added Empty 10 day contracts added

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:28 pm

Shams Charania: The Boston Celtics are planning to sign forwards Malik Fitts and Kelan Martin to 10-day contracts, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Fitts spent time with Jazz this season; Martin played in 27 games for Pacers.
Source: Twitter @ShamsCharania

Extra bodies. Someone has to fill the chairs.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

10 day contracts added Empty Celtics to sign Kelan Martin, Malik Fitts to 10-day contracts (report

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:36 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/02/celtics-to-sign-kelan-martin-malik-fitts-to-10-day-contracts-report.html

Celtics to sign Kelan Martin, Malik Fitts to 10-day contracts (report)

Updated February. 22, 2022, 5:58 p.m. | Published: Feb. 22, 2022, 5:58 p.m.
Jerami Grant
Indiana Pacers guard Kelan Martin (21) blocks a shot b Detroit Pistons forward Jerami Grant (9) during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics are on the road to filling up their open roster spots this week by adding a pair of forwards to the roster. The team will sign Kelan Martin and Malik Fitts to 10-day contracts according to Shams Charania of Stadium.

The deals will fill two of the four remaining open spots on Boston’s roster including two-way deals.

Martin is the more experienced signing at age 26. The 6-foot-5 small forward spent the first half of this season playing for the Indiana Pacers before he was released in January. He averaged 6.3 points and 2.0 rebounds over 27 games, including one start. Martin began his career with the Minnesota Timberwolves during the 2019-20 season before spending the last year and a half with the Pacers. Celtics president of basketball operations is likely very familiar with him as well after he spent four seasons at Butler before graduating in 2018. He should provide added depth at the wing as the team gives him a short-term looks.

The 6-foot-8 Fitts also has experience in the NBA this season, having played seven games for the Utah Jazz while playing on a two-way contract. He also spent some time with the Los Angeles Clippers last season but has seen no significant NBA playing time in his career, with just 45 minutes of action over 10 appearances. He averaged 15 points and six rebounds per game for Utah’s G-League affiliate during seven games this season.

The two deals give Boston a total of 15 players under contract when including two-way player Brodric Thomas. The team still has an open roster spot on the 15-man roster as well an open two-way spot after converting Sam Hauser’s contract to an NBA deal. Hauser and Luke Kornet signed with Boston for the remainder of the season after the trade deadline.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I'll look at these two more closely tomorrow but I doubt it matters.   Ime is committed to playing a short bench.  These guys aren't getting on the court unless it's a blowout.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

10 day contracts added Empty Re: 10 day contracts added

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:53 am

Best I can see the only reason why Brad signed this guy to a 10-day is because he went to Butler.  He's played 1261 minutes in 93 games, 5 NBA starts, but his stats don't make him look good.

Malik Fitts has played a grand total of 46 NBA minutes in two seasons.  He played 35 of those 46 this season with Utah and, get this, has a 57 Offensive Rating this year.  I've never seen a player with an OffRtg that bad.  It doesn't necessarily mean he's a poor offensive player, it means that when he was on the court his team barely scored.

These are G-League highlights because when you only play 46 minutes total it's hard to compile an NBA highlight film.

Like I said, these guys are passing through.  I cannot see Kelan Martin replacing Aaron Nesmith, and that's the player he matches up physically the most.  Maybe he's being brought in to challenge Aaron?  Regardless, Brad had to sign 2 players by Thursday to be compliant with the CBA, and that's what he's done.  I predict the rest of the season will be like this, 10 day contracts being handed out like Lifesaver Mints, to the very end of the bench.  Brad doesn't want any long-term financial commitments, he's either unimpressed with the talent being bought out or realizes he cannot offer them the $ that other teams can so he's laying back and waiting to see who's left without a chair and maybe pick them up for the vet minimum.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:26 am

Bob,

I agree, these guys are passing through. Brad had to sign two players to maintain the minimum roster, his two week grace period was coming to an end tomorrow.

Important date: March 1, Players waived after this date are ineligible for the playoffs.

So now, with the roster filled to the minimum, Brad can look around a bit and sign players that actually have NBA skills. 10 day contracts added 1f606

Lastly, see where the important date says, "Players waived after this date are ineligible for the playoffs"? That indicates that we can sign players any time up until the end of the regular season and they will be eligible for the playoffs. The players signed just cannot be tied by contract to another team after March 1.

Brad has 5 days.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:31 am

There were two threads on the same topic, so I merged them here.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:11 pm

I could’ve found two better players to “fill up the empty seats” that were better than these 2- and could help us. What a waste.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:02 pm

Ktron wrote:I could’ve found two better players to “fill up the empty seats” that were better than these 2- and could help us. What a waste.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 1 hour ago
Ime Udoka on the acquisitions of Malik Fitts and Kelan Martin: “We’re looking for a specific skill set and body type and some of the things that match well with our team and we think those two fit into that role.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:32 pm

From my limited review, both of these guys are physical players. Malik Fitts appears to have the better offensive game and size.

Their opportunity to log some minutes on the court will be minimal.

Now that our 8 man rotation has been cemented in stone (starters plus GWill, DWhite and Theis) Ime next challenge is to get PP and Nesmith playing consistently.

These two new guys may get to play if the Celtics go back into blowout mode and create comfortable leads where Ime can afford to experiment with end of the bench options.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:47 pm

From what I've read, Malik Fitts better than Kelan.

10 day contracts added 1f60e

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:31 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:I could’ve found two better players to “fill up the empty seats” that were better than these 2- and could help us. What a waste.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 1 hour ago
Ime Udoka on the acquisitions of Malik Fitts and Kelan Martin: “We’re looking for a specific skill set and body type and some of the things that match well with our team and we think those two fit into that role.”

Bob

What else is he supposed to say? Lets see how many minutes they end up playing.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:04 pm

Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 1 hour ago

Bob

ktron,

Are you including practices?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:22 am

Is Boston done here or do we still have to add two more before the end of today? Just curious!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:22 am

Is Boston done here or do we still have to add two more before the end of today? Just curious!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:23 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 1 hour ago

Bob

ktron,

Are you including practices?

Bob

Oh yeah, they’ll ride the bench in practice too. Ime don’t play.. errr I mean Ime ain’t gonna let them play.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down