JD Davison Signs Two-Way Contract

5 posters

Go down

JD Davison Signs Two-Way Contract Empty JD Davison Signs Two-Way Contract

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:13 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/07/jd-davison-signs-two-way-contract-with-celtics-after-being-selected-in-second-round-of-nba-draft.html

JD Davison signs two-way contract with Celtics after being selected in second round of NBA Draft

Published: Jul. 09, 2022, 6:05 p.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

LAS VEGAS— JD Davison will be a member of the Boston Celtics for the 2022-23 season after signing a two-way deal with the team on Saturday.

The rookie guard out of Alabama was selected with the No. 53 overall pick on draft night and has spent the past week practicing with the Celtics ahead of their Summer League debut on Saturday against the Heat in Las Vegas.

“When I got that call from the Celtics,” Davison said Tuesday in his introductory press conference, “when my agent called and said the Celtics got you, it’s an organization where they win. So it was just really important to where I know I can come in here and get better every day and just come here and win. I was very happy.”

The 19-year-old point guard had an up-and-down season in his only collegiate year in Alabama, averaging 8.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 33 games. However, Boston appears eager to develop him in the G-League behind a very deep bench at the guard position on the 15-man roster.

Davison is hopeful his skills will translate well to the pro level after the five-star recruit underachieved at Alabama.

“My season at Alabama didn’t go as well as I wanted to,” Davison said this week. “But I think I had spurts of what I showed and what I can do at the NBA level. My decision was because the NBA floor is so spaced out for a dynamic guard like me, I think it was the best for me to go out and go to the draft.”

Boston still has one open two-way slots remaining to fill after the Davison signing. The team also has three open spots on the 15-man roster.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

JD Davison Signs Two-Way Contract Empty Re: JD Davison Signs Two-Way Contract

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:50 pm

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
JD Davison says Celtics have told him he’s still in mix for roster spot despite signing 2-way contract.

Jay King
Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
JD Davison said as part of his rookie duties, he had to buy Jayson Tatum doughnuts for the plane ride.

Bob
MY NOTE:  In yesterday's game he showed energy.  He also seemed to be late on defensive rotations and seemed to follow his men around picks at the perimeter.  Pretty much expected for a raw rook.  He had 10 points, on 3-11 and 2-5 from 3, 6 rebounds and 6 assists with only one turnover.  2 steals and 3 blocks.  Other than the poor shooting that is quite a boxscore for a complete 2nd round newbie. One game, it's just one game.  He cannot continue to shoot 3-11 and expect to make the team, obviously, but if he improves that and keeps doing everything else this could be interesting.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:09 pm

Davison looked promising at ‘Bama.

I think he’ll be fine and make the adjustment to the pro game.

He’s fast, athletic and can pass with the best around. He defends too. Forget one off game on the scoring end, this kid has what’s needed to play point guard in the NBA. The Celtics need someone that can play point like Davison can to back Smart/Brogdon. He’s just 19, so a year or so of development is not unexpected. He may stand a very good chance at being a pleasant surprise for such a late draft pick.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:49 am

I thought he looked lost, couldn’t run the offense or score

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:23 am

Davison may be a huge addition for the Cs, but it will take a couple of years, in my opinion.

He is super athletic and seems to have a mental drive to be good. He certainly will improve in the next two seasons if only because he will be on the team's strength program (Tatum was pretty skinny a few years ago, too), and because he will likely get far better skill training than he did in high school and also at Alabama.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:27 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I thought he looked lost, couldn’t run the offense or score

Cow

I have to disagree with you. I thought he did a very good job running the PNR. He recorded 6 assists and only turned the ball over one time. He looks like a downhill guard to me.

He is a raw talent and it will take time for this 19 year old one and done player to get better. He struggled to finish at the rim but showed tremendous blow by speed when he scored on a drive late in the game.

I think Damien can work with this lump of coal and turn it into a diamond.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down